• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Max_Killjoy

General
May 1, 2018
Thought I'd start getting some solid numbers under the weapons and gear I'd like to add in; brainstorm and bounce ideas around.

This is mainly for my own use, but I will try to find a way to publish them in as organized and compartmentalized a way as I can.

So, without further blather... I'll post each general idea in its own post.

These are just rough numbers, subject to feedback and reconsideration. Please feel free to give constructive commentary on any or all.

Last edited:
Light Autocannons

I'd like to translate these into HBS BT in spirit, rather than as exact numerical conversion from CBT/TT. Assuming that the better autocannons that used to be around aren't something forgotten as a concept in 3025, and it's just a matter of some lost manufacturing techniques, I'm going to assert that engineers have been trying to make ACs that are lighter (LBX) and fire faster (UAC) for a long time -- since they know it's possible.

Thus, what I'd create as a LAC would be lighter, short ranged, and split the damage into two "shots" with each trigger pull -- sort of between an AC and an MG in this game. Each shot with a separate to-hit roll. Ammo looks high at first, but they're spending 2 each time. Heat is total per the 2 shots.

Roughing it out...

LAC 2
* Min Range 90, Med Range 360, Max Range 540
* Damage 2x10, Instability 2x2
* Heat Gen 4
* Tonnage 4
* Slots 1
* Ammo per Bin 60

LAC 5
* Min Range 0, Med Range 300, Max Range 450
* Damage 2x20, Instability 2x5
* Heat Gen 8
* Tonnage 6
* Slots 2
* Ammo per Bin 30

LAC 10
* Min Range 0, Med Range 180, Max Range 270
* Damage 2x25, Instability 2x10
* Heat Gen 12
* Tonnage 10
* Slots 3
* Ammo per Bin 15

Rocket Launchers

This is one of those weapons I'd want to give to mechs that would be added to the OpFor options, since we're in the periphery -- but players could salvage them and use them if they wish to.

These are dirt simple, and IMO are only "3050 tech" because of game development history. They're LRMs without guidance and without feed systems, just a big dumb rocket pod. Ammo will be internal to the unit, with a single volley per launcher.

No guidance system, so direct fire only, and using the SRM/MG hit location system as of 1.1, which would make them spray out from called locations instead of focusing in.

RL 10
* Damage 4x10, Instability 2x10
* Heat Gen 8
* Tonnage 0.5
* Slots 1
* Ammo -- single volley, no bins

RL 15
* Damage 4x15, Instability 2x15
* Heat Gen 12
* Tonnage 1
* Slots 2

RL 20
* Damage 4x20, Instability 2x20
* Heat Gen 15
* Tonnage 1.5
* Slots 3

"Rifles"

These weapons seem perfect for Periphery mechs and other units. Again, something I'd be adding as much for use by OpFor units of certain types as for the player, but certainly available for use.

Lore-wise, they're the precursors to CBT/TT's Autocannons, similar to modern MBT main guns, and lighter cannon.

Light Rifle
* Min Range 0, Med Range 240, Max Range 360
* Damage 15, Instability 5
* Heat Gen 4
* Tonnage 2
* Slots 1
* Ammo per Bin 18

Medium Rifle
* Damage 30, Instability 10
* Heat Gen 8
* Tonnage 5
* Slots 2
* Ammo per Bin 12

Heavy Rifle
* Min Range 60, Med Range 360, Max Range 540
* Damage 40, Instability 15
* Heat Gen 16
* Tonnage 8
* Slots 3
* Ammo per Bin 8

Sensor Upgrades

What it says on the tin -- a way to extend sensor range, rather than vision range.

Mountable in torso locations, not arms or legs.

(More on this later, will edit this post.)

Ammo Bins

Another possibility, + rated Ammo Bins, that hold more ammo, resist critical hits, or maybe even mitigate ammo explosion damage.

(More on this later, will edit this post.)

Command Computer

At the very least, for when I mod in the Fauxclops using the Highlander model and base.

What sort of effect should this have?

* One better initiative slot for the mech mounting it?
* Some sort of indirect fire to-hit bonus for the entire lance?
* Sensor Lock and Fire in the same turn? (Unless that should be saved for Active Probes?)
* Something else, or combination of these?

Snub PPC

One of those weapons that doesn't really make sense as "lost tech", and really just an artifact of the classic game's development history.

Full damage to medium range, half damage to full range, same with stability impact. Max range is also lower than the standard PPC.

Upside is that it's a little lighter and a little cooler.

Snub Nose PPC
* Damage 50/25, Instability 20/10
* Heat Gen 30
* Tonnage 6
* Slots 2
* Energy Weapon

I like your ideas, especially the Rocket Launchers. I imagine that the pirates are usually running low on resources such as ammo, so they make refits to replace various weapons with ones that have lower maintenance costs.
I've seen on Sarna, that there was a pirate Striker variant that replaced the missiles with rockets. Would be fun if pirates were running slightly different 'mechs than the rest.

So on topic of RLs: here is the JSON I fiddled with.

Code:
{
    "Category" : "Missile",
    "Type" : "SRM",
    "WeaponSubType" : "SRM",
    "MinRange" : 0,
    "MaxRange" : 450,
    "RangeSplit" : [
    ],
    "AmmoCategory" : "Flamer",
    "StartingAmmoCapacity" : 10,
    "HeatGenerated" : 9,
    "Damage" : 4,
    "OverheatedDamageMultiplier" : 0,
    "EvasiveDamageMultiplier" : 0,
    "EvasivePipsIgnored" : 0,
    "DamageVariance" : 0,
    "HeatDamage" : 0,
    "AccuracyModifier" : 0,
    "CriticalChanceMultiplier" : 1,
    "AOECapable" : false,
    "IndirectFireCapable" : false,
    "RefireModifier" : 0,
    "ShotsWhenFired" : 10,
    "ProjectilesPerShot" : 1,
    "AttackRecoil" : 1,
    "Instability" : 2,
    "WeaponEffectID" : "WeaponEffect-Weapon_LRM10",
    "Description" : {
        "Cost" : 15000,
        "Rarity" : 3,
        "Purchasable" : false,
        "Manufacturer" : "Pirates",
        "Model" : "Rocket Launcher",
        "UIName" : "RL10",
        "Id" : "Weapon_RL_RL10_0-STOCK",
        "Name" : "RL10",
        "Rocket Launchers are cheap, unguided, one-shot missile launchers. Developed by the Marian Hegemony, they often replace more sophisticated equipment that the Periphery nation cannot afford or is unable to repair. Since their introduction, Rocket Launchers have proliferated across the Periphery.
        The Rocket Launcher 10 fires ten unguided rockets.",
        "Icon" : "uixSvgIcon_weapon_Missile"
    },
    "BonusValueA" : "",
    "BonusValueB" : "",
    "ComponentType" : "Weapon",
    "ComponentSubType" : "Weapon",
    "PrefabIdentifier" : "lrm10",
    "BattleValue" : 0,
    "InventorySize" : 1,
    "Tonnage" : 0.5,
    "AllowedLocations" : "All",
    "DisallowedLocations" : "All",
    "CriticalComponent" : false,
    "statusEffects" : [

],
    "ComponentTags" : {
        "items" : [
            "component_type_stock",
            "range_standard"
        ],
        "tagSetSourceFile" : ""
    }
}
Uses SRM for type (hopefully getting the same hit tables) and Flamer for ammo (which you can't get, so can't use for combat reloads). Upped the rarity to reduce the chance to drop - I assume it's easy to destroy those. Tag for range is set to standard to hopefully force AI to shoot it at ML ranges.

Light Autocannons

I'd like to translate these into HBS BT in spirit, rather than as exact numerical conversion from CBT/TT. Assuming that the better autocannons that used to be around aren't something forgotten as a concept in 3025, and it's just a matter of some lost manufacturing techniques, I'm going to assert that engineers have been trying to make ACs that are lighter (LBX) and fire faster (UAC) for a long time -- since they know it's possible.

Thus, what I'd create as a LAC would be lighter, short ranged, and split the damage into two "shots" with each trigger pull -- sort of between an AC and an MG in this game. Each shot with a separate to-hit roll. Ammo looks high at first, but they're spending 2 each time. Heat is total per the 2 shots.

Roughing it out...

LAC 2
* Min Range 90, Med Range 360, Max Range 540
* Damage 2x10, Instability 2x2
* Heat Gen 4
* Tonnage 4
* Slots 1
* Ammo per Bin 60

LAC 5
* Damage 2x20, Instability 2x5
* Heat Gen 8
* Tonnage 6
* Slots 2
* Ammo per Bin 30

LAC 10
* Min Range 0, Med Range 180, Max Range 270
* Damage 2x25, Instability 2x10
* Heat Gen 12
* Tonnage 10
* Slots 3
* Ammo per Bin 15
There is a problem in making this using current rules. The issue is that weapon types and subtypes are hardcoded. So either you can't add new types, or it will cause problems at some point.
On the other hand, if we reuse type/subtype, then the ammo will be interchangeable between original weapon and LAC. It's a bit annoying that those cannot be configured in JSON files.

Edit: there is an unused category, could try making it with this one. Doing so means you won't be able to add rifles and other new ammo weapons.

Last edited:
So to add types/subtypes involves what horrible process?

Same problem would apply to the "Rifles".

The Snub PPC doesn't have ammo, and the RLs can have internal ammo set to a single volley (Flamer style).

I find it somewhat odd that they didn't simply have the weapon JSON point to an ammo bin JSON, and that's that.

Last edited:
You know, trying to catch up with some of the accomplished modders and figure out how to do things, I'm starting to have a sliver more regard for the concept of "lost tech". There's no central repository of how-to out there, the modding wiki hasn't been updated in weeks it seems, etc.

I guess there is no reason for me to not add what I find to the wiki. That is the nature of wikis after all. That place SHOULD be a good resource. Right now the wiki is essentially Discord which is non-ideal for sure.

Trying to work with ModTek so I can't have to edit every file over and over with each patch.

In the mod.json, what EXACTLY and IN DETAIL is the "path" line supposed to look like and reference? All the the instructions have useless placeholders there and don't really explain what's going on at all.

If my the mod I'm trying out to test it is in a folder \mods\DragonTest, and the only file it needs to load right now is chassisdef_dragon_DRG-1N.json, what should that line in the mod.sjon look like?

The intent is to replace the chassisdef file of the Dragon with a modified chassisdef which add some hardpoints, as a test, to make sure I understand how to do this.

So far, nothing I've tried has caused changes to take effect in the game.

Here is an example of one of my mod.json files (for JK_VariantsCampaign)

"Name": "JK_VariantsCampaign", (name of the mod - rather self explanatory)
"Enabled": true, (set to true to have the mod actively added in, false if you are disabling it)

"Version": "0.1.1.0-M", (the version of the mod)
"PackagedOn": "2018-06-21T06:45:00Z", (the date stamp - Zulu time)
"Description": "Adds 65 'Mech Variants, 32 Vehicle Variants, 5 Weapons, 1 Ammo Type and 1 Upgrade - usable in both Skirmish and Campaign modes. Also includes shop files to allow 'Mech salvage to be purchased in the campaign.", (Description )
"Author": "Justin Kase, with GenTask's Command Console Variants", (Author(s))
"Website": "https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/18", (Link to the location where you can download updates, or a thread for the mod discussion)
"Contact": "message me at Nexus or Paradox sites", (if you want to direct people on how to contact you)

(The Manifest is where the json tells ModTek how to correlate your folders to the core game folder definitions - each of the below should correlate to a matching sub-folder in the Mods/{ModName}/ folder. You don't have to use the exact names for you folders, like you could have you AmmunitionBoxDef point to the Ammo sub-folder instead.

The next part of each line is the AddToDB - which is a true/false toggle. If you leave this part off, it will be false by default. TRUE means it will take all the applicable folders and add them into the MDD folder it creates when you first start up the game. FALSE means it will ignore that folder. Please note, if something normally isn't part of the MDD.db, it won't be added, even if you say 'true' - for example, in the below I have ShopDef set to true, but Shops are not added into the MDD.db, so it is not really needed. But, if I didn't want to have the Variant Vehicles appear in my campaign, I could toggle just VehicleDef and VehicleChassisDef to false to exclude them)

"Manifest": [
{ "Type": "AmmunitionBoxDef", "Path": "ammunitionBox\\", "AddToDB": true },
{ "Type": "ChassisDef", "Path": "chassis\\", "AddToDB": true },
{ "Type": "HardpointDataDef", "Path": "hardpoints\\", "AddToDB": true },
{ "Type": "MechDef", "Path": "mech\\", "AddToDB": true },
{ "Type": "MovementCapabilitiesDef", "Path": "movement\\", "AddToDB": true },
{ "Type": "ShopDef", "Path": "shops\\", "AddToDB": true },
{ "Type": "UpgradeDef", "Path": "upgrades\\", "AddToDB": true },
{ "Type": "VehicleDef", "Path": "vehicle\\", "AddToDB": true },
{ "Type": "VehicleChassisDef", "Path": "vehicleChassis\\", "AddToDB": true },
{ "Type": "WeaponDef", "Path": "weapon\\", "AddToDB": true }
]
}

That sort of help?

I had started to make the Light Rifle for my mod (for the J Edgars - let me see if I can find them tonight and I'll post where I left off and maybe we can use creating that as a test ;)

AH HA!

The instructions given on the ModTek page say nothing about the "add to DB" thing.

I'm guessing then that the modified chassisdef file won't replace the vanilla file unless that's added and set to true?

Hmph.

I have BTML and ModTek installed, and I am getting the ModTek note in the lower left version text in the main menu screen of the game.

In the Battletech\Mods\ folder, I have a folder called DragonTest.

In that folder, I have another folder named Chassis, and in that folder is the modified chassisdef file, that just adds some hardpoints to the default Dragon.

In the DragonTest folder, there's also a mod.json file, and it reads like this:

{
"Name": "DragonTest",
"Enabled": true,

"Version": "1.1.1",
"Description": "Testing Adding Hardpoints to the Dragon 1N Chassis",
"Author": "Max_Killjoy",
"Website": "none",
"Contact": "none,

"Manifest": [
{ "Type": "ChassisDef", "Path": "chassis\\", "AddToDB": true }
]
}

So far, no joy.

E: And I know the changes to the file itself are good, because if I drop it into the main chassis folder in the game's files, I get the results I want in the game itself. So the issue must be with something I'm doing to set up the mod through the ModTek strucute.

Last edited:
Actually, if you are doing a straight up replacement or ammendment to an existing file, you can leave the add to DB as false. At least that is what I did with the vehicle/'Mech fixes in my mod.

and the file you are testing is in :

Is the folder called Chassis or chassis? Not sure if the case matters, but it seems to in the game in some instances.

Post the folder with files here if you wouldn't mind ;)