• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Curtiss Mod Logo.png

New Version 1.7.1 "Fabre"

Major features
- Compatible with 1.3
- Compatible with map mods (again)
- Sagrada Família monument
- Character Interaction „Appoint Chief Engineer“. Chief Engineer will give two instead of one construction point per month when building a great monument

Minor content features
- Added decision for theocracys or iberian nations with state religion to speed up the construction of Sagrada Família.
- Added a hard achievement for Spain: Segundo siglo de oro.
- Added four new Schneider Trophy events
- Added an event for Water Airports
- Added two events for the construction of the Mole Antonelliana (Italo balloon)
- Added Auguste Piccard
- Ballonist events can be hidden
- Schneider Trophy participants and their individual progress are shown in the JE

Changes
- The tourism event for Cristo Redentor needs an airline as trigger
- D’Annunzio event deactivated for the moment (is considered an agitator now)
- There is only a chance to gain one or two Schneider points per week (in rare cases, three were possible)

Fixes
- Historical events for the great scientists Planck, Rutherford, Hubble, Mendeleev and Le Verrier should trigger now
- Event „Bastet, the Cat Goddess“ will trigger now on expeditions in Egypt
- Alfred Escher for Switzerland should trigger now
- War of the Romantics should fire and end correctly now
- Broadcast decision should now trigger the right event (instead of Wagner)
- Fixed a bug in the zeppelin rescue mission
- Fixed a bug with the cinema JE

>>>Download via Paradox Mods<<<

>>>Download via Steam<<<

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Curtiss Mod Logo.png

New Version 1.7.2 "Fabre"

Major features
- Compatible with 1.3.2
- Added the Saxon Palace as a monument in Warsaw. It is deactivated.
- Added a decision for polish nations to activate it again. The need to own Warsaw/Mazovia.

Fixes
- Fixed an issue which prevented players without "Voice of the People" DLC to play Morgenröte
- Fixed an issue with new "Voice of the People" achievements
- Fixed localization for Sagrada Família Support decision
- Added mesh for Sagrada Família which caused errors in log

>>>Download via Steam<<<

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Curtiss Mod Logo.png

New Version 1.7.3 "Fabre"

Major features

- Compatible with 1.3.3

Fixes
- Fixed a bug regarding excavations and excavation teams
- Existing opera houses can be expanded, even if they are not in the capital (USA fixed)

>>>Download via Steam<<<

• 2Like
Reactions:
Curtiss Mod Logo.png

New Version 1.7.5 "Fabre"

Major features

- Compatible with 1.3.5

Fixes
- Fixed a bug with the Prokofiev arrival event triggering too often.
- Fixed a bug with the architectural splendour not working as intended.

Note
- As 1.3.5 balances the pop need "art" in a different way (giving services more importance) this may also change the music demand in the game. The results of this change are not tested yet.

Addendum
- New information on future content will be announced soon.

>>>Download via Steam<<<

• 2Like
Reactions:
Curtiss Mod Logo.png

New Version 1.7.6 "Fabre"

Major features

- Compatible with 1.3.6

Changes
- Music volume of Morgenröte tracks reduced by 50 %. That was harder than you might think.

Note
- As 1.3.6 balances the pop need "art" AGAIN, this may also change the music demand in the game. The results of this change are not tested yet.

Addendum
- New information on future content will be announced soon.

>>>Download via Steam<<<

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Second Road map for Morgenröte

Salve! There hasn't been a real diarium for a long time, and since the end of May there have only been very few content updates. In June there were mainly patches that make Morgenröte compatible with the new Victoria 3 versions.

That doesn't mean that Lord R and I have been completely idle during this time. In fact, with such a small team, the absence of one or two people can mean that a project comes to a standstill. Up to Curtiss, I developed Morgenröte completely on my own, even if a helping hand, such as Warhammer on Steam, has contributed graphics from time to time. In June I kept adding content to the beta version, but the project isn't "round" enough for a release yet. If you want access to the beta, just send me a message!

That's why I'd like to take the chance today to do something that I actually wanted to do after the release of Curtiss (1.7.1 or 1.7.2), but for which I simply didn't have the time. Namely the presentation of a new road map for the coming months, similar to what I did at the beginning of the year.

What happened to "Manzoni"?

To begin with, it should be said that the “Manzoni” project, as you may have noticed, has been postponed by me for the time being. This is related to two reasons. The first reason is that I prefer general mechanics for all nations over regional mechanics. There's still enough work to do on general mechanics for now that I want to focus specifically on Italy. The second reason is that the big mod projects have already done their version of an Italy makeover (with VFM in particular taking almost all of my "Gott mit uns" events that were integrated into HFM).

Instead of Manzoni, I had inserted an unintended architectural project with Gaudí, which continues the cultural ideas from Elgar. I see this cultural project as ongoing as music is now associated with impressionism/neoclassicism, and architecture with art nouveau/art deco, but expressionism/new objectivity has not yet been associated with an art genre. All previous projects in Morgenröte can therefore be considered unfinished; whether archaeology, astronomy, art and architecture or aviation - there is still plenty to do.

But I've gotten to a point where I'm very happy with the mod because it covers a lot of topics, and not just superficially. For me personally, one of the driving forces behind Morgenröte was that this time I managed to fulfill the goals I had set myself in such a way that you can see a well-rounded, functioning project in it, even if I didn't manage to finish it. I didn't manage that with Serenissima Italia (EU IV), which unfortunately I never really got to finish due to some personal upheavals.
Of the five projects, I only managed one and a half, and only two ended up in a finished state to show off. Morgenröte now has five projects - and will be further developed, albeit not at the same speed as in winter 2022/2023.

But now to the future.

Rapa_Nui_Moai_Hava.png

"Rapa Nui" (Update)

Rapa Nui is not a project per se, but an update that affects several mechanics from different projects and is important for the following project that we are actually working on. I mentioned above that I prefer general mechanics to regional ones, so it would be too short to just call it an Oceania update. Rather, it is about the relationships between the advanced nations of the West and the most untouched corners of the earth.

I already introduced the nation of Rapa Nui in Curtiss, but so far it's only there to be annexed by Chile at a certain point. However, there will be an event chain for major powers that have interests in Oceania. It will allow a research vessel to land on Easter Island and possibly take possession of one or two of the famous Moai heads on the land. There will be oceanic artifacts in Rapa Nui, one of which is considered a "major artifact".

Nations with interests in Oceania can also use their “soft influence” in the Pacific before developing malaria prevention. Catholic and Protestant nations can send missionaries to the islands and convert them to their faith over many years. Once a missionary station has been established, nations can interact more directly with the country in question - for example, by increasing missionary activities in order to convert the ruler more quickly to their own faith. However, one can also engage in limited trades that grant access to oceanic artifacts or two exotic animals.

Missionary_friendly_welcome.png

If 51 percent of the natives share the faith of the missionary country, the country will convert to the respective faith and take on the rest of the mission alone. The nation becomes a protectorate and can later be annexed very easily via diplomatic action. But be careful: if there is a Protestant and a Catholic missionary station in the oceanic country, there is the possibility of a conflict that can also develop into a political crisis. Then at the latest you have to decide how important the influence on a few remote islands is. Because the missionary part has made up most of this update so far, I tend to subsume Rapa Nui under Project Pius, although this doesn't even exist yet.

In addition, the possibility of sending research expeditions to the Pacific will be introduced. These research trips enable discoveries in the astronomical, oceanographic and biological field. Great powers are also open to imperialist actions, opening the way to missions (for countries with no Pacific interests) and oceanic artifacts. Research expeditions not only give research bonuses, but can result in three major events: the discovery of the Wallace Line in Indonesia, the discovery of the Challenger Deep, or a circumnavigation. The expeditions have individual names, named after their ships. For example, should an Italian expedition ship named Galileo find the Challenger Deep, it will become known as the "Galileo Deep." Similarly, the Wallace Line is named after the naturalist who discovered it.

Rapa Nui therefore contains topics that touch on projects such as Lepsius and Verrier, but also future projects such as Pius and Dubois. A few more precise words about the latter project.

Dubois Mod Logo.png

"Dubois" (Project)

Dubois is a project that arose mainly from players' wishes that, in addition to archeology, there should also be an opportunity to explore nature - exotic animals and plants as well as fossils. In fact, with Lepsius, I often had the idea of also introducing paleontology in the long term. Charles Darwin's theory of evolution had a formative influence on the Victorian era - something that is difficult to depict in the game but I would like to at least begin to depict.

In Dubois you will be able to build a zoo and catch exotic animals from all continents to increase the prestige of your nation. The zoo culture of that time already had scientific and entertaining reasons, but as in the early modern period with its menageries, a rich collection of zoo animals was evidence of the global dimension of an empire. Not only the number of animals plays a role in the expansion, but also that they come from other regions.

There are several options for obtaining animals. Of course, it's easiest if you own an animal habitat in directly controlled provinces. You can then simply collect them with a naturalist. A second possibility is to buy foreign animals. Countries with which you have good relations are open if you inquire about their native fauna. You find some animals on expeditions - maybe you remember the polar bear from Curtiss, which you find on a zeppelin trip to the North Pole? Exhibiting big African game in your home zoo requires a safari.

360038608_249665397858457_766765154775448532_n.png

In addition to the animals as such, there are also smaller specimens of flora and fauna, all of which are subsumed as "specimens". Expeditions can bring back thousands of such specimens. Specimens are not only associated with faster research development in biological fields (biological technologies are: pharmaceuticals, evolution theory, paleontology, quinines, malaria prevention, antibiotics), but you can also decide from a certain number whether you take the seed to create a botanical garden, or whether you make the collection available to science.

In addition, there are some smaller historical events. The first discoverer of the theory of evolution receives a bonus and a naturalist (if he doesn't already have one). The return of the Beagle with Charles Darwin, the publication of Alexander von Humboldt's “Cosmos” and the rediscovery of Mendel's rules are all part of this. I will tell you more about the large complex "paleontology" at a later date.

"Bingham" (Update)

Like Rapa Nui, Bingham is not a project, but a planned update on archaeology. After a year, some revisions are urgently needed - for example, that archaeologists should no longer be politicians, but special characters like balloonists, missionaries and naturalists who play a role in events. I'm sorry, but this means that Abraham Lincoln will no longer be able to explore Mayan pyramids in the future.

So far, the expeditions to Peru needs to be finished. This starts with a few event images and ends with the fact that a "big discovery" is still missing, as well as a narrative event chain. The East Asian artefacts - so far only available by destroying the Summer Palace - still have to be properly integrated, namely as rare rarities that can only be obtained from trading ports in Korea, China or Japan.

However, the biggest innovation will be new adventures that will not only happen in the well-known places. I don't want to go into detail at this point either; however, there have been so-called "clues" since the existence of Lepsius, which you can find, but unfortunately had no meaning until now, because this part of the game has not yet been completed. In short: Bingham should complete Lepsius in a way that was originally intended.

CoW Mod Logo.png

"Cabinet of Wonders" (Mod)

Ever since Lord R/Nirual joined the Morgenröte team, the idea of combining both mods has been around. This means a significant increase in flavor, especially for Switzerland, but also for Sardinia Piedmont (National Park) and the USA (Niagara Falls). It is not yet entirely clear how and which things will ultimately flow into the project, since Lord R wanted to adjust his mod again before the merger takes place.

MFE Mod Logo.png

"More Flavor Events" (Mod)

Dementive is the creator of More Flavor Events (MFE). It is a mod with almost 100 new events, some of which take up the spirit of the predecessors from Victoria 2 and accompany social and technological processes: from accidents in industrial plants to press censorship and agricultural developments. Dementive announced that he would no longer continue his project and asked me to take it on. I was happy to accept this suggestion and look forward to taking over the many enriching events soon. We're not just going to take over the events, we're going to continue some of the ideas, like expanding railroad companies in a way that's reminiscent of the airline companies from Curtiss. Finally, the "Airline Tycoon" and the interaction with him was based on some events from MFE.

"Localization"

Imperialist from the The Great Rework (TGR) has offered us to share the translations made for Morgenröte. This will give us the chance to offer the mod in different languages.

I reiterate that this road map is only an overview of what we intend to do in the coming months; when and how we will implement the ideas is not yet certain. This is not to be understood as a chronological listing.

Last edited:
  • 5Love
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Diarium XXI

Pius: The Mission

Pius Mod Logo.png

Salve!

Welcome to the first diary for the next major update for Morgenröte. Today everything revolves around Christian missions in Oceania. Oceania was one of the last areas of the world to be penetrated by Christianity - and quite successfully. Missionaries not only spread the faith, but also brought new technologies and social concepts to the previously undeveloped islands; on the other hand, it also began the age of colonization and less beneficial side effects, such as the spread of diseases. There is also some truth to the cliché of “cannibals in the South Seas”: many missionaries were martyred there.

Therefore there is a new diplomatic action: the Catholic or Protestant mission. Major powers with interests in Oceania can try to convert a decentralized island nation in the region - but this is only possible if your country is not too secular and the "devout" interest group is not too weak.

Mission_to_Oceania.png

The proselytizing takes place in three steps. If you send a missionary, he will either be received kindly, ignored - or killed immediately. Should your mission go awry, you will have to wait a few years to find a new missionary to spread the word of God. A tip: the character traits of the respective chief have a decisive influence on how one deals with your missionary. An innovative ruler will decide differently than a cruel one. In addition, the strains become milder over time: this means that if there have been several unsuccessful conversion visits, they will be more successful in the future.

Missionary_friendly_welcome.png

As your missionary takes root, the next step will be to passively convert about 1 percent of the population to your state religion each year. There are additional events that can speed up the conversion process. From time to time, however, this is accompanied by increased aggression on the part of the natives - should you be too bold, the pagans will rebel and destroy any missionary effort.

Missionary_Event_Random_2.png

Overall, this second step will take years. If 30 percent of the natives are won over to Christianity, then the mission will become permanent. A missionary station has been founded that can no longer be destroyed. From this moment the second phase starts: the conversion of the head of state. Should 51 percent of the natives profess Christianity, then the chief will convert to your religion and place himself under your protection as a protectorate. Years later, these areas can even be annexed if you have the technology to prevent malaria.

Misisonary_JE_2.png

In this last step you can actively make decisions via the Journal Entry. Either you strengthen the mission directly by sending additional missionaries, or you try to trade. You can acquire rare oceanic artifacts, exotic animals or pearls that increase the standard of living of the rich. Oceanic Artifacts are new, additional archaeological artifacts known from Lepsius. Exotic animals are a new element from the upcoming "Dubois" project. I'll go into more detail on that in a future diary.

Missionary_Event_Tension_2.png

However, there is another, third possibility. Only one country of the same denomination can proselytize an oceanic-pagan country at the same time. However, a country of another denomination can also send a missionary. This means that a Protestant and a Catholic mission can compete for who brings a chief to his faith. However, such rival missions have caused them to convert the other Christian believers as well. The conversion can quickly have a yo-yo effect.

Crisis_in_Paradise_for_Aggressor.png

The other missionaries can therefore be sabotaged. Events are also possible. However, the conflict between two Christian denominations can also become a real political conflict. A historical example of this is the escalation around Tahiti. Should the situation in the supposed island paradise escalate, the chief will convert prematurely and submit to a protecting power. The missionary power that got nothing can now decide whether to further escalate and mobilize the conflict, or to keep the peace and forego the remote islands. Should the new protecting power also hold its hand protectively over the oceanic island state, the "crisis in paradise" will turn into diplomatic play and thus inevitably into war. In such conflicts, the AI will mostly give up the "useless islands" unless it feels superior to the rival.

Country_embraced_Christianity.png

That would be it for now on the Christian missions in the Pacific. The next time it's about expeditions to the extended Pacific region.

• 3Love
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Second Road map for Morgenröte

Salve! There hasn't been a real diarium for a long time, and since the end of May there have only been very few content updates. In June there were mainly patches that make Morgenröte compatible with the new Victoria 3 versions.

That doesn't mean that Lord R and I have been completely idle during this time. In fact, with such a small team, the absence of one or two people can mean that a project comes to a standstill. Up to Curtiss, I developed Morgenröte completely on my own, even if a helping hand, such as Warhammer on Steam, has contributed graphics from time to time. In June I kept adding content to the beta version, but the project isn't "round" enough for a release yet. If you want access to the beta, just send me a message!

That's why I'd like to take the chance today to do something that I actually wanted to do after the release of Curtiss (1.7.1 or 1.7.2), but for which I simply didn't have the time. Namely the presentation of a new road map for the coming months, similar to what I did at the beginning of the year.

What happened to "Manzoni"?

To begin with, it should be said that the “Manzoni” project, as you may have noticed, has been postponed by me for the time being. This is related to two reasons. The first reason is that I prefer general mechanics for all nations over regional mechanics. There's still enough work to do on general mechanics for now that I want to focus specifically on Italy. The second reason is that the big mod projects have already done their version of an Italy makeover (with VFM in particular taking almost all of my "Gott mit uns" events that were integrated into HFM).

Instead of Manzoni, I had inserted an unintended architectural project with Gaudí, which continues the cultural ideas from Elgar. I see this cultural project as ongoing as music is now associated with impressionism/neoclassicism, and architecture with art nouveau/art deco, but expressionism/new objectivity has not yet been associated with an art genre. All previous projects in Morgenröte can therefore be considered unfinished; whether archaeology, astronomy, art and architecture or aviation - there is still plenty to do.

But I've gotten to a point where I'm very happy with the mod because it covers a lot of topics, and not just superficially. For me personally, one of the driving forces behind Morgenröte was that this time I managed to fulfill the goals I had set myself in such a way that you can see a well-rounded, functioning project in it, even if I didn't manage to finish it. I didn't manage that with Serenissima Italia (EU IV), which unfortunately I never really got to finish due to some personal upheavals.
Of the five projects, I only managed one and a half, and only two ended up in a finished state to show off. Morgenröte now has five projects - and will be further developed, albeit not at the same speed as in winter 2022/2023.

But now to the future.

View attachment 1004227

"Rapa Nui" (Update)

Rapa Nui is not a project per se, but an update that affects several mechanics from different projects and is important for the following project that we are actually working on. I mentioned above that I prefer general mechanics to regional ones, so it would be too short to just call it an Oceania update. Rather, it is about the relationships between the advanced nations of the West and the most untouched corners of the earth.

I already introduced the nation of Rapa Nui in Curtiss, but so far it's only there to be annexed by Chile at a certain point. However, there will be an event chain for major powers that have interests in Oceania. It will allow a research vessel to land on Easter Island and possibly take possession of one or two of the famous Moai heads on the land. There will be oceanic artifacts in Rapa Nui, one of which is considered a "major artifact".

Nations with interests in Oceania can also use their “soft influence” in the Pacific before developing malaria prevention. Catholic and Protestant nations can send missionaries to the islands and convert them to their faith over many years. Once a missionary station has been established, nations can interact more directly with the country in question - for example, by increasing missionary activities in order to convert the ruler more quickly to their own faith. However, one can also engage in limited trades that grant access to oceanic artifacts or two exotic animals.

View attachment 1004230

If 51 percent of the natives share the faith of the missionary country, the country will convert to the respective faith and take on the rest of the mission alone. The nation becomes a protectorate and can later be annexed very easily via diplomatic action. But be careful: if there is a Protestant and a Catholic missionary station in the oceanic country, there is the possibility of a conflict that can also develop into a political crisis. Then at the latest you have to decide how important the influence on a few remote islands is. Because the missionary part has made up most of this update so far, I tend to subsume Rapa Nui under Project Pius, although this doesn't even exist yet.

In addition, the possibility of sending research expeditions to the Pacific will be introduced. These research trips enable discoveries in the astronomical, oceanographic and biological field. Great powers are also open to imperialist actions, opening the way to missions (for countries with no Pacific interests) and oceanic artifacts. Research expeditions not only give research bonuses, but can result in three major events: the discovery of the Wallace Line in Indonesia, the discovery of the Challenger Deep, or a circumnavigation. The expeditions have individual names, named after their ships. For example, should an Italian expedition ship named Galileo find the Challenger Deep, it will become known as the "Galileo Deep." Similarly, the Wallace Line is named after the naturalist who discovered it.

Rapa Nui therefore contains topics that touch on projects such as Lepsius and Verrier, but also future projects such as Pius and Dubois. A few more precise words about the latter project.

View attachment 1004231

"Dubois" (Project)

Dubois is a project that arose mainly from players' wishes that, in addition to archeology, there should also be an opportunity to explore nature - exotic animals and plants as well as fossils. In fact, with Lepsius, I often had the idea of also introducing paleontology in the long term. Charles Darwin's theory of evolution had a formative influence on the Victorian era - something that is difficult to depict in the game but I would like to at least begin to depict.

In Dubois you will be able to build a zoo and catch exotic animals from all continents to increase the prestige of your nation. The zoo culture of that time already had scientific and entertaining reasons, but as in the early modern period with its menageries, a rich collection of zoo animals was evidence of the global dimension of an empire. Not only the number of animals plays a role in the expansion, but also that they come from other regions.

There are several options for obtaining animals. Of course, it's easiest if you own an animal habitat in directly controlled provinces. You can then simply collect them with a naturalist. A second possibility is to buy foreign animals. Countries with which you have good relations are open if you inquire about their native fauna. You find some animals on expeditions - maybe you remember the polar bear from Curtiss, which you find on a zeppelin trip to the North Pole? Exhibiting big African game in your home zoo requires a safari.

View attachment 1004232

In addition to the animals as such, there are also smaller specimens of flora and fauna, all of which are subsumed as "specimens". Expeditions can bring back thousands of such specimens. Specimens are not only associated with faster research development in biological fields (biological technologies are: pharmaceuticals, evolution theory, paleontology, quinines, malaria prevention, antibiotics), but you can also decide from a certain number whether you take the seed to create a botanical garden, or whether you make the collection available to science.

In addition, there are some smaller historical events. The first discoverer of the theory of evolution receives a bonus and a naturalist (if he doesn't already have one). The return of the Beagle with Charles Darwin, the publication of Alexander von Humboldt's “Cosmos” and the rediscovery of Mendel's rules are all part of this. I will tell you more about the large complex "paleontology" at a later date.

"Bingham" (Update)

Like Rapa Nui, Bingham is not a project, but a planned update on archaeology. After a year, some revisions are urgently needed - for example, that archaeologists should no longer be politicians, but special characters like balloonists, missionaries and naturalists who play a role in events. I'm sorry, but this means that Abraham Lincoln will no longer be able to explore Mayan pyramids in the future.

So far, the expeditions to Peru needs to be finished. This starts with a few event images and ends with the fact that a "big discovery" is still missing, as well as a narrative event chain. The East Asian artefacts - so far only available by destroying the Summer Palace - still have to be properly integrated, namely as rare rarities that can only be obtained from trading ports in Korea, China or Japan.

However, the biggest innovation will be new adventures that will not only happen in the well-known places. I don't want to go into detail at this point either; however, there have been so-called "clues" since the existence of Lepsius, which you can find, but unfortunately had no meaning until now, because this part of the game has not yet been completed. In short: Bingham should complete Lepsius in a way that was originally intended.

View attachment 1004233

"Cabinet of Wonders" (Mod)

Ever since Lord R/Nirual joined the Morgenröte team, the idea of combining both mods has been around. This means a significant increase in flavor, especially for Switzerland, but also for Sardinia Piedmont (National Park) and the USA (Niagara Falls). It is not yet entirely clear how and which things will ultimately flow into the project, since Lord R wanted to adjust his mod again before the merger takes place.

View attachment 1004234

"More Flavor Events" (Mod)

Dementive is the creator of More Flavor Events (MFE). It is a mod with almost 100 new events, some of which take up the spirit of the predecessors from Victoria 2 and accompany social and technological processes: from accidents in industrial plants to press censorship and agricultural developments. Dementive announced that he would no longer continue his project and asked me to take it on. I was happy to accept this suggestion and look forward to taking over the many enriching events soon. We're not just going to take over the events, we're going to continue some of the ideas, like expanding railroad companies in a way that's reminiscent of the airline companies from Curtiss. Finally, the "Airline Tycoon" and the interaction with him was based on some events from MFE.

"Localization"

Imperialist from the The Great Rework (TGR) has offered us to share the translations made for Morgenröte. This will give us the chance to offer the mod in different languages.

I reiterate that this road map is only an overview of what we intend to do in the coming months; when and how we will implement the ideas is not yet certain. This is not to be understood as a chronological listing.
The possibility to play in other langages is a big addition to storytelling. Though it is possible to play in English, immersion is nevertheless linked to using one's mother tongue.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The possibility to play in other langages is a big addition to storytelling. Though it is possible to play in English, immersion is nevertheless linked to using one's mother tongue.

Yes; and I also had to find out that user preferences changed a lot. 10 years ago, it was quite normal for paradox mods to be english only, because the original translations were also quite ... well, not so good. But today most players play in their own language, which was quite a new development for me.

Reactions:
Yes; and I also had to find out that user preferences changed a lot. 10 years ago, it was quite normal for paradox mods to be english only, because the original translations were also quite ... well, not so good. But today most players play in their own language, which was quite a new development for me.
I personnally petition here a Request for a french translation ha ha.

Btw, I love MR, already said in the comments on your Steam mod page, but I do think it brings to the game the very true Spirit of the Era and that it is clearly the best mod for Victoria. You managed to embody what everyone who played MR was expecting from the game at launch.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you very much! Interestingly, Morgenröte seems to have a vivid french community, and I would really like to implement the french localization as fast as possible. However, at the moment we are concentrating on the current update, which is quite big and should've been released a week ago. I'm still not sure if it is in a releasable state, but I hope it will be ready next weekend!

Reactions:
Interestingly, Morgenröte seems to have a vivid french community
Didn't know that but I'm not surprised. For the french, the 19th extended untill WW2 is seen as a fantastic Period of Political Experimentations, Scientific Progress, and a constant Stream of Art. It is obviously linked to their History. And the War Germany made on them (the third in 70 years, bringing down two Regimes) was legitimately long lived as a National Tragedy before a European one. So there is something of a crystallization there, undoubtly.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Diarium XXII

Dubois: Pacific Expeditions

Dubois Mod Logo.png

Welcome to the next Diarium of Morgenröte.

As mentioned last time, this time it's about expeditions to the wider Pacific region. This means Polynesia and Oceania in particular, but also Australia and parts of Indonesia. So why another expedition? Isn't there enough?

There were a whole series of famous Pacific expeditions in the 19th century that not only expanded, but also shook and revolutionized the scientific state of mankind. The most famous is certainly the voyage of the Beagle. Without the huge amount of material it brought back in 1836, our view of the world would be different today. After all, Charles Darwin's theory of evolution was essentially based on the observations of this voyage.

But the Beagle is only one example. The voyages of the Challenger, Galathea, Novara and Gazelle also inspired this expansion. The Pacific region was one of the last "white spots" on the map in the 19th century, along with Africa and Antarctica, and at the same time not unimportant in some breakthroughs.

PE Focus.png

To begin with, a few words of principle about "Dubois", the package to which the expeditions belong. Dubois - named after the Dutch discoverer of the bones of Java Man - is a science project that will fundamentally change some mechanics in Morgenröte, and will be to zoology, natural history and paleontology what "Verrier" was to astronomy. Pacific Expeditions offer a taste of what's new in the world of "Dawn".

Pacific Expeditions are open to all major powers that have researched Empiricism and Screw Fregate technologies and have a navy of at least 15 ships. As known from other expeditions, an admiral can be selected as a leader at the beginning. More important, however, is the possibility to add a special scientist to the expedition! These can be surveyors, naturalists, paleontologists or astronomers.

Of course, special characters will bring better yield in some events than others. Naturalists find more specimens and generate more research points in zoological and botanical events. And surveyors bring advantages in oceanographic events. This already hints at the variety of events you can expect.

PE Deep Sea.png

Your expedition can therefore choose a focus on what exactly it explores. It can be devoted entirely to the mysteries of the sea and improve your oceanographic and astronomical knowledge; in that case, only oceanographic events will trigger. If you explore the wonders of nature, you will be confronted with botanical, zoological and paleontological events. Great Powers will also have the option to undertake a prestige mission, in which you'll find artifacts, establish trading posts or set up missions - especially useful if you don't have diplomatic interests in Oceania, but want to try to acquire at least a small colony through missionaries.

Keep in mind that a general research trip triggers 7 events over the course of about 2 years, while a specialized trip triggers only 5. You can therefore control what you want to discover. This is useful, for example, if you are looking for exotic animals and want to find them, and accept not seeing other events. Or you want to finish oceanographic research as quickly as possible in order to get a modifier that gives you an advantage against other navies for a few years.
Astronomical events are a special feature. They occur when you take an astronomer with you. Rare events include historical solar eclipses. A very special century event is the transit of Venus, which can only be observed in the Pacific Ocean. The player is notified two years in advance that such an event will occur. It is a special and very rewarding event for which 60 expeditions have historically been sent.

PE New Bay.png

An expedition can sail to one of three regions: Oceania, Australia and Indonesia. The same events do not trigger in each region. Kangaroos and koalas are only found in Australia, and orangutans and Komodo dragons are only found in Indonesia. However, you can change course once during your trip to visit another region by using the button in the Journal Entry.

As already indicated with the Venus transit: there is also a very special "major event" for each research field. Eager paleontologists who find many fossils and stay in Indonesia have the chance to find the Java Man before Dubois. Naturalists looking for specimens may discover the Wallace lineage (which then bears the name of their own naturalist). And expeditions to increase the glory of their nation can complete a circumnavigation.

PE Oceanographic Studies.png

If you have enough oceanographic knowledge, a successful deep-sea survey can lead to finding the deepest point of the ocean floor. The historic "Challenger Deep" will then be named after your research vessel. Yes, you read that right: we strive to ensure that each culture has its own research ships that have a consistent, resonant name during an expedition. Anglo-Saxon ships may be named Voyager, Endeavour or Odyssey, Italian ships Galileo or Leonardo, and German ships have names like Humboldt or Kepler.

Upon your return, there will be an additional total bill depending on the type of expedition. A focus ensures that you will have more of some objects and research points than others. Scientists, by the way, like archaeologists, can write a scientific treatise. And in rare cases, if you don't have a naturalist, one may emerge after the trip. Like Charles Darwin.

PE Platypus.png

Species and fossils; naturalists and paleontologists; exotic animals and technologies like the theory of evolution or paleontology. You see, there is much more to go into. More about that in the next diary.

PE Antarctica.png

Last edited:
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Diarium XXIII

Dubois: Zoos and Animals

Dubois Mod Logo.png

Salve!

Today we're back to some more general mechanics: today the focus is on new technologies, new buildings and new character traits. More specifically: the theory of evolution, the zoo, and the naturalist.

The theory of evolution is a new technology that is key to your ambitions in the field of natural exploration. As you know, in Lepsius there are a number of technologies related to archaeology and in Verrier there are a number of technologies related to astronomy; in both of them, there are certain events that facilitate the exploration of these technologies through bonus points. This is similar with Dubois: there are a number of "Biological" technologies, including pharmaceuticals and malaria control, whose research can be accelerated by certain Dubois events. Such bonus points are mostly obtained through Pacific expeditions, safaris and also the well-known expeditions to Africa (Niger, Congo, Nile).

Dubois Tech Tree.png

Even before researching the theory of evolution, it is possible to collect exotic animals, specimens or fossils in certain situations. But only with the theory of evolution the zoo is unlocked as a building, which also rewards you for these efforts. However, because the theory of evolution is so significant to 19th century thinking, there are a few more special bonuses. The first country to invent the theory of evolution "discovers" the theory of evolution and gets a unique modifier for a few years. You also get a naturalist, should you not already have one, who is considered the discoverer of the theory. Naturalists, as mentioned in the previous diary, are extremely useful when it comes to natural history events: they accumulate twice as many specimens and research points than others and enable special events.

The zoo is the heart of your natural history research; it includes not only the collection of exotic animals, but later also a paleontology collection (but that's for another time). You can use production methods to determine whether the zoo should rather entertain the population and thus improve the standard of living, or place more emphasis on research purposes. A national zoo is first of all a sign of international prestige: it underpins the global claim of a country that can display exotic animals from all over the world. Ergo: The more animals you have, the bigger you can build your zoo. There are four expansion levels in total. Five animals are necessary before you can start a zoo.

Zoo Building.png

Zoo Extension 1.png

Zoo Inauguration.png

But how do you get animals? There are five different species on each of the six continents. States have habitats as modifiers to indicate that an animal lives there. Not all animals are equally widespread. For example, the Komodo dragon is only found on the Indonesian Sunda Islands, while well-known European animals such as the stoat are native to five states. The distribution of the animals has more gameplay reasons than pure occurrence reasons. The rule of thumb is that only one animal habitat is possible per state.

If there are animal habitats in states you own, you can order your naturalist to collect all the animals in your dominion. This is the easiest way. With the theory of evolution, it is also possible to buy animals from other countries. Of course, this requires good relations. Vassals will almost always hand over their animals, rivals and unfriendly countries almost never. In some cases, animals can be found through Pacific expeditions.

Diplo action zoo animal.png

Mexico agrees.png

Jaguar arrives.png

African animals are special in this respect. Since they mostly live in decentralized states and later in impassable colonies, the safari has its own way of capturing animals. This also requires a naturalist.

Species have already been mentioned and shown several times. When you have collected enough, you can decide to use the seeds and insects to create a botanical garden. You can also use them to provide a collection to a university with a natural history focus to strengthen science.

Safari.png

Lastly, a few words about the zoo itself: Lord R/Nirual has made it possible to walk this zoo and visit and admire the individual animals captured. The mechanics build on a similar concept from Cabinet of Wonders, where something similar was possible for natural parks in Switzerland. At first glance, this is mere flavor. But beware: every now and then even these visits can lead to unusual events, if certain conditions are met ...

That's it for this time! Next time it will be about the reform of the academic system (astronomers, engineers, naturalists, paleontologists, archaeologists) and university specializations.

The Panther.png

• 2Love
Reactions:
Diarium XXIV

Dubois: Academical Rework

Dubois Mod Logo.png

Welcome to the next Morgenröte Diary. Today I'm going to introduce a drastic change that affects not only the current Dubois project, but also previous projects.

There has been a new character trait for each project so far, deeply connected to the new game mechanics. Archaeologists in Lepsius and astronomers in Verrier are the most famous ones. The problem with these important characters has always been that the ability to mod character roles is almost non-existent. So it could well be that in Lepsius politicians were trained to be archaeologists, who could later even become heads of state. Suddenly, President Abraham Lincoln could explore Mayan pyramids because he had the archaeologist credentials.

FuqRKEAWAAYQtxw.jpg

From Curtiss on, Lord R/Nirual made a discovery about how to incorporate characters who didn't have to fulfill a politician role. This gave us and still gives us some options to not influence the political system too much, if at the same time we want to presuppose that not every character can be an archaeologist or astronomer. These special characters, which we have introduced or will introduce, we summarize under the name "academics". They include astronomers, engineers, naturalists, paleontologists, archaeologists, and (in the future) anthropologists.

They should be unique personalities that are not automatically available, and open up scientific opportunities or events and decisions. Astronomers find astronomical objects, engineers speed up the construction of monuments, naturalists improve the expansion of species and catch exotic animals, paleontologists find fossils and reconstruct dinosaurs, archaeologists enable archaeological expeditions and find artifacts. The range that now exists makes it necessary to introduce a system that does justice to the game.

In the future, these traits, which are key to certain Morgenröte facets, will no longer be available automatically. The traits will only be unlocked and will no longer be randomly distributed. Thus, it will be more difficult to get an academician and gain additional science points and prestige. However, the player can actively work to get an academic and thus specialize his country in a particular field or fields.

Paleontology New Paleontologist.png

So how do you get an academic? The decisive factor is a journal entry. Each month, a country accumulates points based on your academic standing. A country with high literacy, specialized universities and advanced educational institutions will accumulate points faster than a country that does not have these conditions. Therefore, the generation of an academic can diverge from 3 to 30 years. It is not completely clear which academic will emerge from the curriculum as the hopeful in the end. But you can counteract this as well.

As already mentioned before, you can specialize universities. There are three categories: Technical-Mathematical for astronomers and engineers, Natural History for naturalists and paleontologists, Humanistic-Anthropological for archaeologists (and later anthropologists). You can specialize a university by production method, but be careful: once a university is specialized, it cannot be changed. By the way, specializing several universities in the same field does not bring any bonus. However, you can change your research focus a bit, since technical universities improve production and military research, while the other two specializations prioritize society research.

Academic Careers.png

If you have specialized a university, you can actively support one of the fields and thus influence the outcome of the curriculum. The next trained academic will then come from the supported field. The new system thus wrings more decisions out of the player as to what exactly they prefer. After all, not every country has the same initial options. While the global powers have capacity and capital to send expeditions all over the world, it doesn't always look that way for smaller powers. For them, it is wiser to figure out their own strengths. Does the country have sea access? Does it have diplomatic reach? Does it have rock formations for paleontology, exotic animals, or archaeological sites nearby?

Example. Switzerland is a landlocked country. So without Pacific expeditions and no prospect of its own exotic animals, a naturalist is worth rather less. Switzerland, however, has two areas of interest. First, it can build the Gotthard Tunnel. So an engineer who could cut the construction time in half would be very useful - and a technical-mathematical university along the lines of Zurich's ETH would be a logical step. At the same time, with the Klettgau formation, Switzerland has a massif in which it can make (small) paleontological finds. It is such strategic decisions that should gain more contour with the next Morgenröte Update.

It's now also a bit easier to know when an academic is no longer available. Academics retire at the age of 65. You can now plan better if a scientist is no longer available to you. In the same update we also merged the "Visit" decisions for the various buildings (museum, observatory, opera, zoo). There is now a single journal entry that gives you access to all of these buildings ("Visit Special Building").

University Specialization.png

Important note: in Dubois, archaeologists are not trained for the time being, but are created during expeditions according to the Lepsius principle. Archaeologists and anthropologists will be added in a later archaeology update (Bingham), because the rebuilding of the archaeology mechanics takes a lot of time.

Reactions:
Dubois Mod Logo.png

New version 1.8.0 "Darwin"

This is a MASSIVE Update. Please start a new game. Pretty please.

General Science:
- Astronomers, engineers, naturalists, paleontologists, archaeologists, and anthropologists are now part of a category of characters we call "academics." Academics are not politicians, generals or admirals, but exist as background personalities.
- Since Academics do not exist as ordinary characters, they are generated over time via a special Journal Entry (Academic Career).
- The time it takes for a new academic to be generated depends on literacy levels, educational institutions, and specialized universities.
- The academic generated at the end of a curriculum is random; unless the player influences it by specializing universities. Then it is possible to specify the area from which the academic comes.
- Universities can be specialized. The areas are: technical-mathematical (astronomer, engineer), natural-historical (naturalist, paleontologist) and humanistic-anthropological (archaeologist, anthropologist).
- Several specialized universities do not give an additional bonus to an academic's doctoral degree; however, they do help to shape a particular research focus. For example, technical-mathematical universities give a bonus for researching production and military technologies, but a malus for society technologies.
- A nation that researches a certain key technology first receives an academic along with an event. Key technologies are: Modern Astronomy (Astronomer), Steel-Frame Building (Engineer), Evolutionary Theory (Naturalist), Paleontology (Paleontologist), Early Archaeology (Archaeologist), and Modern Archaeology (Anthropologist). In some cases, a nation gets historical characters for this; for example, Gustave Eiffel appears for France in the Engineering event.
- IMPORTANT: Archaeology has not yet been changed to the new system. For the time being, everything will remain the same. In an upcoming update, archaeologists will be generated via journal entry and anthropologists will be added as a new character trait. The Humanistic-Anthropological University is therefore still disabled in this update.

Zoology:
- 30 animals, 5 per continent, live in habitats designated by modifier.
- Naturalists can collect animals on their own territory by decision.
- With a diplomatic action, animals can be bought from friendly countries.
- Safari Decision to capture African animals.
- Animals can also be found on the Pacific Expedition and Zeppelin Expedition.
- From 5 animals you can build a zoo. This zoo can be upgraded by decision the more animals you have. The bigger the zoo, the more prestige. There are five upgrade levels (currently only four are possible).
- A zoo can either strengthen science as a research zoo or raise the standard of living as an entertainment zoo.
- The zoo can be entered via a journal entry. There you can find all captured animals that can be visited. Under certain circumstances there are also Easter Eggs.

Naturalism:
- Naturalist as a special trait belonging to an academic.
- Collect specimens on Pacific Expeditions, Safaris, and African Expeditions (Vanilla).
- Via a Journal Entry, specimens can be used to build a botanical garden or specimen collection in your zoo. The garden improves living standards, the collection improves research; both give prestige.
- Your naturalist can discover the "Wallace" line on a Pacific expedition in Indonesia if you have enough specimens and advanced technologies.
- Historical events for the return of the Beagle with Darwin, the publication of Humboldt's "Cosmos" and the discovery of Mendel's rules.

Paleontology:
- Paleontologist as a special trait belonging to an academic.
- Several states have Normal and Great rock formations. However, these are not uncovered at first, but are discovered by paleontologists or revealed during research into paleontology technology.
- Normal formations contain fossils, while Great formations contain fossils and dinosaur bones.
- If you have a formation and a paleontologist, the paleontologist will find fossils every year (passively).
- Fossils can also be found on Pacific expeditions and the Zeppelin expedition.
- Game rule that allows to randomize Great Formations on a continent. Dinosaur bones are then not necessarily in the western United States, but can be anywhere in North America.
- Paleontological collection as part of the zoo. Accessible via Journal Entry to get more information.
- Special fossils such as the Java Man, trilobites, insects encased in amber, or Archaeopteryx.
- Java Man can be discovered on a Pacific expedition to Java if you have fossils and paleontology. This must happen before 1891. Otherwise, the Dutchman Dubois finds the bones by historical means.
- IMPORTANT: The paleontology feature is not finished yet. It still lacks dinosaur bones and the ability to assemble them into skeletons. Fossils can also be found, but do not yet have a more advanced feature.

Oceanography:
- Pacific expeditions with customized ship names.
- Pacific expeditions can increase a nation's oceanographic knowledge. Should a nation accumulate enough oceanographic knowledge, it gains a naval advantage for a few years.
- The Challenger Deep can be discovered during a Pacific expedition in Oceania, assuming sufficient oceanographic knowledge.
- Pacific expeditions designed to enhance a nation's glory have a chance to complete a circumnavigation.
- Admirals who undertake a successful Pacific expedition can improve their trait.

Astronomy:
- Observation of solar eclipses and southern starry skies during Pacific expeditions.
- Possibility to observe the transit of Venus in 1874 (major event).
- Discovery of the asteroid Astraea by Prussia (additional planet before the discovery of Neptune).
- Historical events about the observatories in Awadh, Athens and Switzerland.
- Numerous new characters with their own models available as astronomers: Le Verrier, Quetelet, Argelander, Vouris, Schiaparelli, Hubble, Bond, Wilcox, Wolf, Möbius, Planck.

Christian Mission in Oceania:
- Countries with diplomatic interests in Oceania may send missionaries to convert the natives.
- After successful conversion, the chiefs place themselves under the protectorate of their godfather. Protectorates can be annexed very easily via diplomatic action.
- Rival mission stations (Catholic vs. Protestant) can lead to a political crisis.
- Missions provide access to oceanic artifacts, exotic animals, and the opportunity to acquire colonies with "soft power".
- Unsuccessful missionaries are killed by natives.

Changes:
- Museums and observatories are no longer built by Decision. Instead, they are built directly like any other building (if the requirements are met).
- Museum, Observatory, Opera and Zoo are not accessible via a "Visit" Decision, but a Journal Entry (Visit Special Building).
- Removed character interaction with engineer. An engineer will automatically work on a monument without making him the construction manager.
- Archaeological Exhibitions are now worth more (15, 25, 50, 100 prestige).
- Astronomical report shows how many astronomical objects were found in the year.
- 5 new events for the vanilla Africa expeditions.
- Detailed listing and indexing of all events in the event files at the top of the file.

GFX:
- New images for Curtiss technologies.
- Icons for East Asian artifacts, Schneider Trophy points, Architectural Splendor and Airlines.
- Characters now don't always wear hats and glasses.
- Two new loading screens.
- New start screen.

Music:
- New playlist "Dubois - Carnival of the Animals" with 14 new tracks.
- New playlist "Elgar - National Themes". National themes have been extracted from the Dawn OST.
- New playlist "Elgar - War Themes". War themes are taken from the Morgenröte OST.
- New track "Gauillaume Tell" as national theme for Switzerland.

Fixes:
- Piccard now travels around as originally intended.
- Localization for two IG modifiers added.
- Localization for Sagrada-Decision corrected.
- Removed Capitalists from independent artist pm.

>>>
Download via Steam<<<

Support Morgenröte:

>>>
Patreon<<<

>>>
Buy me a glass of wine<<<

After the release of "Dubois" we want to take the opportunity to briefly refer to an advertising campaign on our own behalf.

morgenroete_ad.png

Morgenröte needs you!

We need help for the development of the Morgenröte Mod and everyone can help! Here are some ways to help us:

• You are versed in programming GUIs and want to help us? Great!
• You are good at creating 2d or 3d art?
• You want to write flavor texts for events? For example, about cute Zoo animals or Pacific expeditions?
• You want to test Morgenröte and let us know about Bugs?
• You know how to mod Victoria 3 and want to help us create new things?
• You have ideas for new content or to expand the content we already created?
• You have knowledge about any part time period of Victoria 3, especially about science, culture, etc.?

If you can see yourself in any of these points, let us know and we will be deeply grateful for your support in making Morgenröte better!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Diarium XXV

Dubois: The little Details / Minor Changes

It has been a while since my last Dev Diary here. But now that I focus entirely on Morgenröte, you might see more of me :)

This Dev Diary will focus on a topic that is as important in science as it is in modding: The little Details.

While Marco was focusing on the huge Paleontology Update, I had time to spend on smaller things. Some of them are focused on Quality of Life, others are focused on scripting or flavor. But let’s get started with the first one!

Game Concepts​

Marco mentioned to me quite often that he would love to have some Game Concepts that give an overview of the content of Morgenröte and help new and recurring players to understand the new features added with each update. I definitely wanted to add such concepts as well and so I started to create concepts for all the features that I thought would need one.

20230805110601_1.jpg

All of them are accessible in the Vickypedia and if you are new, you might like the Morgenröte Concept that gives you an overview of all the features added in the mod. Additionally, each big update has its own Concept as well, giving you an overview of the specific features of that update.

20230803101523_1.jpg

But what about getting those informations while playing? Well I started adding the game concepts to some of the events, journal entries and tooltips, but it is a lot to go through and I won’t be able to get it all in one go. But this gives us a huge chance to listen to your feedback: Where would you like more information about the new mechanics? How often should concepts appear in the game itself? It would be extremely helpful if you could share your opinions on this topic!

Experience​

Another (kind of) new addition is the experience system. You might remember that the archaeologist was able to gain experience and level up. After adding all the Academics as special characters we wanted to expand the experience system.

We decided to use a 100/300 system. This means that Archaeologists, Paleontologists and Astronomers now get experience. If they gain 100 experience, they will rank up their skill trait and become experienced. If they reach 300 Experience they will become famous.

Academics do not only gain experience through discoveries and a passive yearly experience boost, but they also already start with experience if they are older than 30. For each year older than 30 a character gets 10 Experience. That means that a character can even start experienced if they are 40 years or older.

In the future we might expand the experience system to the other academics as well, but for now it’s just those three.

Experience is very useful by the way. The more Experience a character has, the higher the chance of positive outcomes in various situations. An experienced Archaeologist will for example find more artifacts. An experienced Paleontologist will have an easier time to build dinosaur skeletons and an experienced Astronomer will have a higher chance of good astronomy events.

20230808184858_1.jpg

This leads directly to another new addition. We added more situations in which the traits of a character have an influence. If an Astronomer is a drunkard for example, he will have a way lower chance to get good events and a higher chance of bad events. In the future we want to expand this feature even more and add events limited to specific traits.

Now that Experience and traits are more important, another addition will be more important as well.

Historical Characters​

You might already know some historical characters from the last update. I added quite a few astronomers, Darwin and some other historical academics. For this update I added another 11 characters (of which one is not really important yet as we didn’t introduce the new character type yet). Those historical characters range from a Nikola Tesla, Edward Drinker Cope and Othniel Charles Marsh all the way to less known historical scientists like French Paleontologist, Zoologist and Archaeologist Alcide d'Orbigny.

20230815201723_1.jpg

Each character that I added in this update has a handcrafted DNA which means they look unique and don’t wear hats and glasses if they didn’t wear them on famous pictures. This brings us to a total of 50 Characters with unique DNAs. Here I would like to thank rinbro from the ECCHI mod again for allowing us to use their DNA for characters like Einstein, Wagner and Livingstone.

The most important part about those historical characters is that they get spawned automatically if you get a new academic and meet some specific requirements. To get Flinders Petrie – a well known British Archaeologist – for example, you have to play as Great Britain, the year has to be after 1880 (when he first travelled to Giza) and before 1908 (when he turned 55) and obviously he only gets spawned if he doesn’t exist yet.

A huge advantage of such historical Characters are their traits. While generic Academics only get their respective trait and some randomly chosen traits, historical characters tend to have good traits. Flinders Petrie for example is meticulous, persistent, innovative and a surveyor. So, he only has good traits and no bad traits. You might see why it is nice to get historical academics.

20230814210941_1.jpg

20230814232841_1.jpg

There is no guarantee, that you will get a historical character if you meet the requirements though. It is always possible to get a generic one, but it is way rarer.

Now let’s get to one last addition I would like to introduce:

Scientific Societies​

This idea came from the fact that I had a hard time testing my historical characters because there was no real overview of them. Therefore I added a button to the “Visit Special Building” journal entry. This button will lead you to your countries scientific society (you might notice that some of them have unique names :) ).

20230807181812_1.jpg

20230807181846_1.jpg

From the Scientific Society you can access all your Academics and look at them. Sadly, there is not a lot of information there yet. In the future I would love to add a little flavor text with an overview of what that specific scientist achieved so far.

20230807195218_1.jpg

But the scientific society is not just a fancy window to visit your scientists, they have an agenda as well. The scientific society will sometimes give you a mission They could ask you to build a museum for example, to expand your archaeological collections or to find more astronomical objects than another nation. You will always have the opportunity to say no, which will make the intelligentsia a little less happy. If you chose to accept the mission, this could lead to a reward or if you fail it to even more unhappy academics.

20230813113121_1.jpg

20230813113137_1.jpg

20230813113345_1.jpg

If you do not like the concept of the missions, you can deactivate them with a simple game rule.

20230811220738_1.jpg

But not only the scientific societies have their own plans. So do your scientists. If you promote the Humanities for example to get a new Archaeologist faster, your Astronomer might be unhappy because of missing funding. They might ask for additional funding then which will cost but give you a little bonus. If you do not fund them, it might have bad consequences…

20230811135203_1.jpg

In the future we would like to add more events to the academics as well. Maybe an Engineer could help an astronomer with his telescope for example, or two academics might start a rivalry or a friendship.

We are looking forward to your feedback​

I hope you enjoyed reading about the smaller additions to Morgenröte!

As we are a little short on manpower Marco and I don’t really get to play the Mod ourselves that often and as we have a huge lack of beta testers, we would be very happy if you would share your experiences and opinions about the mod with us!

And if you would like to participate in the development of Morgenröte, feel free to contact us! Thank you for your interest and until the next time :)

20230804003628_1.jpg

Little Bonus :)

Attachments

• 20230815215610_1.jpg
    20230815215610_1.jpg
    254,3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230807234239_1.jpg
    20230807234239_1.jpg
    12,3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230807234320_1.jpg
    20230807234320_1.jpg
    12,2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Diarium XXVI

Dubois: Bone Wars

Dubois Mod Logo.png

Welcome to the final Diarium ahead of tomorrow's 1.8.1 release. This update will finally finish a feature from Dubois that previously only existed as a skeleton: paleontology. And yes, the pun was inevitable.

Paleontologists and fossils already existed in 1.8.0, but both features were only rudimentarily developed until now. As is well known, paleontologists can already collect fossils on research trips to the Pacific or even discover Java Man. Fossils, however, were of no further importance, and paleontologists were of no use outside of Pacific expeditions.

Paleontology Collection.png

The first innovation: if you own a paleontologist or fossils, then you also have access to the Paleontological Collection via the new JE entry with the previous Morgenröte buildings. There you will find an overview of all relevant paleontological information as well as other options.

There are different types of fossils. Some special fossils such as archeopteryx or trilobites; human fossils such as the aforementioned Java Man; or dinosaur bones that can be used to build dinosaur skeletons. At this point it should be said that anthropology or paleo-anthropology takes on greater importance at a later point in time once the anthropologist has also been introduced. More on dinosaurs below.

Geological Formation.png

Let's stay with the fossils first! So how do you get such relics of the past? The answer is: formations. There are normal formations and great formations. If you own a paleontologist, you can hire him to survey a formation on your territory from the paleontologist menu. Annually a paleontologist will find fossils in the formations, if he is an experienced paleontologist then a few more. There is also the possibility of events when you have assigned a paleontologist to study a formation.

If you don't find a formation in your territory, your options are limited. With research into paleontology, however, you can – equivalent to archaeological excavations – acquire a license for your studies in other countries. Not only is this useful for getting fossils; it is in many cases the only way to find dinosaur bones in a Great Formation. While normal fossils are found in all formations, certain dinosaurs are only found on certain continents.

Paleontology Mineshaft.png

Unlike animal habitats, for example, formations are not initially revealed on the map. They have to be discovered first. This can be through the development of paleontology technology, a university specializing in natural history, or a paleontologist. With a special game rule at the beginning you can determine whether the Great Formations should be historical or randomly distributed on a continent.

Paleontology Game Rule 2.png

If you investigate a Great Formation, there is a chance of finding traces of a dinosaur skeleton. An experienced paleontologist has a significantly higher chance of doing this. Should this be the case, a year-long excavation will take place, during which - again depending on experience - there is a chance of finding 2 to 5 dinosaur bones. In the Paleontological Collection, a non-busy paleontologist can assemble 5 dinosaur bones into a dinosaur skeleton. It is also possible to reconstruct a missing bone from 20 fossils.

Paleontology Dinosaur Excavation begins.png

As mentioned, not all dinosaurs are found everywhere; in fact, unique types are found on every continent. So there are North American, European, Asian etc. dinosaur skeletons. Even the reconstruction is not always perfect. A veteran paleontologist will have better luck with the assembly than a novice. In fact, an inexperienced paleontologist can even be responsible for an erroneous reconstruction that diminishes the reputation of a paleontological collection and thus its national prestige. Imperfect skeletons can be reassembled later, but the same applies here: a passable skeleton can be made worse by a dilettante.

There are currently 13 possible dinosaur skeletons in total, including classics such as Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Spinosaurus or Iguanodon. The number and quality of the skeletons result in a positive or negative value that affects your national prestige. If you collect a hundred fossils, you can also set up a fossil exhibition in the zoo, which improves your scientific research.

Paleontology Transform Bones.png

Paleontology Excavation JE.png

Attachments

• Dubois Mod Logo.png
    Dubois Mod Logo.png
    315,4 KB · Views: 0
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Dubois Mod Logo.png

New version 1.8.1 "Owen"

If you want to avoid bugs, start a new game. This is the second Dubois Update and still a rather big one. We also have a presence on Discord: https://discord.gg/DekBrHAHCw

QoL Changes:
- Added an event that allows you to see all your active Academics (Scientific Society)
+ The scientific society has dynamic names for various countries
- Added Concepts that explain new content

General Science:
- Added many Missions given to you by your Scientific Society (Only Astronomy and Archaeology at the moment)
- Archaeologists, Astronomers and Paleontologists now have experience and level up. They get the experienced Trait with 100 Experience and the famous Trait with 300
- New Scientists gain Experience when they are created, e.g. a 35 year old astronomer starts with 50 Experience.
- You can now delay the Emeritius of your Academics
- Scientists will ask for more funding sometimes
- Activated Humanities PM for University

Tech Schools:
- You can specialize your research with six different tech schools, each giving different advantages in production, military or society, but also giving disadvantages in other areas
- To get a tech school, you need a certain IG in government, a certain percent of specialized universities and sometimes other recquirements (strong military for military-industrial complex or navy/coast access for Sea Power&Merchant Marine)
- Special JE to chose one of the tech schools
- Gamerule allows to start some countries with historical tech schools (Prussia with military-industrial complex, France with Avantgarde Intelligentsia and Austria with Ivory Tower, for example)

Paleontology:
- Paleontological Collection with found fossils, dinosaur bones, assembled skeletons and a panel for the paleontologist. It is accessible via the "Special Buildings"-JE if you have a paleontologist or fossils.
- Paleontologists can be given orders in the Paleontological Collection to inspect Formations and Great Formations. They will be busy after that and find fossils every year. Random events may trigger.
- Dinosaur bones can be found in Great Formations. After finding a first bone, a JE will start. A Paleontologist may find additional bones in a year.
- Each continent has its own dinosaur bones. You may use Paleontological Licenses (diplomatic action) to visit other Great Formations to find different dinosaur bones.
- A skeleton can be reconstructed from five dinosaur bones.
- Howver, it is not guaranteed that a paleontologist will reconstruct a dinosaur skeleton perfectly. Imperfect or poor reconstructed skeletons can be revised later. The success depends on the experience of the paleontologist.
- Dinosaur Rating gives prestige or hits prestige, depending on the quantity and quality of your dinosaur sekeleton collection.
- 20 fossils can be converted into a missing dinosaur bone by an experienced Paleontologist. This is only possible if you have at least one dinosaur bone; no dinosaur can be reconstructed ex nihilo.
- 100 fossils can be converted to a Fossil Exhbition in the Zoo (ex Paleontological Collection PM), giving scientific advantages.
- 13 different dinosaur skeletons at the moment.

Astronomy:
- Added a new event for a discovery if you have an astronomer
- Some discovery events will now fire more often if you have a good Astronomer

Archaeology:
- Archaeologists will now be generated like other academics
- Researching Early Archaeology as the first nation now fires an event that will get you a free Archaeologist
- Prussia now gets Lepsius when he writes his letter
- You can choose one from three random generals when doing an Expedition

New Characters:
- Nikola Tesla (random engineer, World Wide)
- Florentino Ameghino (random paleontologist, France)
- Alcide d'Orbigny (random paleontologist, Argentina)
- Mary Anning (random paleontologist, owner of the province with Lyme Regis)
- Edward Drinker Cope (random paleontologist, USA)
- Othniel Charles Marsh (random paleontologist, USA)
- Christian Jürgensen Thomsen (Event for Denmark in 1836)
- Auguste Mariette (random archaeologist, France)
- Robert Koldewey (random archaeologist, Northern Germany)
- Heinrich Schliemann (Event option instead of treasure of Priam)
- Flinders Petrie (random archaeologist, Great Britain)
- Ernesto Schiaparelli (random archaeologist, Torino)
- Thomas Henry Huxley (random anthropologist, Great Britain)

GFX:
- added various new symbols for concepts, etc.

Fixes:
- Fixed various localisation errors
- New Academics no longer delete the old ones but instead ask you if you want to replace them.
- All Emeritius Events should now workproperly

Internal:
- Added new scripted_effects for adding/subtracting artifacts and astronomical objects. This allows every number to be used.

>>>Download via Steam<<<

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions: