• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Saw something odd across the map. (All DLCs but SI, all modules but Interface.) King of Sicily is Catholic, Duke of Latium is Orthodox and vassal to Sicily. Latium presses de jure claim on Rome and then grants it back to the Pope. Repeat every time truce timer runs out. Unsure why he’s not holding onto it, but if it’s because his liege is forcing him to grant it to the Pope, surely he should just not be allowed to declare war on the Pope while his liege is Catholic and loyal to the Pope. Or something close to that. Right? I guess that’s an enhancement request for EMF.

Saw something odd across the map. (All DLCs but SI, all modules but Interface.) King of Sicily is Catholic, Duke of Latium is Orthodox and vassal to Sicily. Latium presses de jure claim on Rome and then grants it back to the Pope. Repeat every time truce timer runs out. Unsure why he’s not holding onto it, but if it’s because his liege is forcing him to grant it to the Pope, surely he should just not be allowed to declare war on the Pope while his liege is Catholic and loyal to the Pope. Or something close to that. Right? I guess that’s an enhancement request for EMF.

Thanks. I'll look into addressing this.

Reposting from PB thread.
  • King of Norway is Catholic, King of Sweden is Ásatrú.
  • Republic of Gotland is held by a Catholic but vassal to the King of Sweden.
  • The Republic holds the Grand City of Gotland, and nothing else, with no landed vassals (Norway has the subholdings).
  • Norway declares Religious Reconquest for Gotland. When they win, the King of Norway has usurped the city and destroyed the republic. Title history for the city/county says “conquered in a holy war.”
I would have expected the Republic to simply become a vassal of Norway and no holdings actually change hands. Since the only guy who holds land in the war target is already Catholic.

Reposting from PB thread.
  • King of Norway is Catholic, King of Sweden is Ásatrú.
  • Republic of Gotland is held by a Catholic but vassal to the King of Sweden.
  • The Republic holds the Grand City of Gotland, and nothing else, with no landed vassals (Norway has the subholdings).
  • Norway declares Religious Reconquest for Gotland. When they win, the King of Norway has usurped the city and destroyed the republic. Title history for the city/county says “conquered in a holy war.”
I would have expected the Republic to simply become a vassal of Norway and no holdings actually change hands. Since the only guy who holds land in the war target is already Catholic.

Yes, that'd be my understanding too. The Religious Reconquest CB uses the exact same vanilla code snippet for conquering the duchy while still only vassalizing lords of the attacker religion (rather than usurping their titles) that's used in vanilla Holy War. My guess is that the holder of the Grand City of Gotland had an additional title outside the target duchy (Gotland). In this case, it is WAD that he loses the titles in the target duchy but holds on to his other ones (and his liege).

Code:
    on_success_title = {
        custom_tooltip = {
            text = religious_cb_succ_tip
            hidden_tooltip = {
                ROOT = {
                    vassalize_or_take_under_title = {
                        title = PREV
                        enemy = FROM
                        same_religion = yes # Only vassalize rulers of my religion
                        is_religious = yes
                        type = holy_war
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }

EDIT: It's entirely possible that this is a bug with vassalize_or_take_under_title in which the Patrician family palace technically counts as a holding outside the conquest target title, thus leading to the usurpation of the city and holding on to the (landless) family palace. If so, I'm afraid there's nothing that I could reasonably do about it.

My guess is that the holder of the Grand City of Gotland had an additional title outside the target duchy (Gotland). In this case, it is WAD that he loses the titles in the target duchy but holds on to his other ones (and his liege).

EDIT: It's entirely possible that this is a bug with vassalize_or_take_under_title in which the Patrician family palace technically counts as a holding outside the conquest target title, thus leading to the usurpation of the city and holding on to the (landless) family palace. If so, I'm afraid there's nothing that I could reasonably do about it.

If I remember right, the Grand Mayor’s only personal holding was the Grand City. I don’t think he held a patrician house. But I’m not sure if that’s possible; I might have overlooked it. Either way, his only vassals were the patrician houses, and when I clicked on the house titles, the camera would center on the Swedish capital Tiundaland. So I suppose the logic is: the grand mayor’s realm is not entirely within the war target, therefore holdings are usurped, therefore the grand mayor is landless and the republic is destroyed.

Speaking of republics being destroyed… a question about a change in EMF 3.03.
AI rulers won't use de jure county claims, de jure duchy claims, or third-party de jure county claims to conquer AI merchant republics' capitals unless they are themselves another merchant republic and not part of the same greater realm
AI rulers will still fabricate claims on republic capitals, right? And press them?

Speaking of republics being destroyed… a question about a change in EMF 3.03.

AI rulers will still fabricate claims on republic capitals, right? And press them?

If they had a personal claim, they might press it, but they can't fabricate claims on a merchant republic capital. [It's not a valid target for the job action.]

Huh. Another round of “how the hell did you get this claim,” then. <eye roll>

Running into issues with merchant republic capitals being conquered out of existence a lot still? After I ended the AI doing this via de jure claims, I didn't observe any issues. There are still theoretically ways to get and press claims on MRs, but there's a point where enough measures have been taken that it's acceptable behavior and not all that much special-case code. Hopefully that point has been reached. If not, I'll take further measures (I know precisely what I'd hit next).

Running into issues with merchant republic capitals being conquered out of existence a lot still? After I ended the AI doing this via de jure claims, I didn't observe any issues. There are still theoretically ways to get and press claims on MRs, but there's a point where enough measures have been taken that it's acceptable behavior and not all that much special-case code. Hopefully that point has been reached. If not, I'll take further measures (I know precisely what I'd hit next).

Nah, not in my experience so far. Mostly they’ve been their own worst enemies. Genoa was destroyed by prompting two successive mercenary bands to invade in the space of about ten years lol

Is it EMF that removes the Byzantine empire from the AI if you take Constantinople? It'd be a bit more interesting if it acts like the restore Rome decision, in which you can restore Byzantium if you're Greek, orthodox/orthodox heresy, own Constantinople, maybe a kingdom or two and a certain amount of prestige. As it stands, you can own all of Greece and some of Anatolia but still not have enough territory to actually create Byzantium manually. It also stands to reason that if the city is taken by a non-Greek power which destroys Byzantium, it should be possible to take it back and restore it just by owning the city. Plus, it'd be interesting if Byzantium could be restored by a smaller Greek power and recover from there (as with the empire of Nicaea in our own history).

Is it EMF that removes the Byzantine empire from the AI if you take Constantinople? It'd be a bit more interesting if it acts like the restore Rome decision, in which you can restore Byzantium if you're Greek, orthodox/orthodox heresy, own Constantinople, maybe a kingdom or two and a certain amount of prestige. As it stands, you can own all of Greece and some of Anatolia but still not have enough territory to actually create Byzantium manually. It also stands to reason that if the city is taken by a non-Greek power which destroys Byzantium, it should be possible to take it back and restore it just by owning the city. Plus, it'd be interesting if Byzantium could be restored by a smaller Greek power and recover from there (as with the empire of Nicaea in our own history).

Yep, it's EMF that has the empire disintegration mechanic. [ Who else? ;) ] Also, the rule about Constantinople applies to player EREs too.

Thanks for reminding about me this! A 'Restore Byzantine Empire' decision has been on my to-do list since I implemented disintegration in late September or so. There's just been literally so much possible stuff to do that I haven't gotten around to it. Consider me reminded, and your idea is indeed 100% valid.

Yep, it's EMF that has the empire disintegration mechanic. [ Who else? ;) ] Also, the rule about Constantinople applies to player EREs too.

Thanks for reminding about me this! A 'Restore Byzantine Empire' decision has been on my to-do list since I implemented disintegration in late September or so. There's just been literally so much possible stuff to do that I haven't gotten around to it. Consider me reminded, and your idea is indeed 100% valid.

That's super cool, great to know you've already got all this stuff planned out ahead

Out of curiosity Ziji, would you ever consider adding in decisions that could 'restore' titular Empires? For example, the 'North Sea Empire' if a Danish/Norweigan/Anglo-Saxon ruler managed to hold the Kingdoms of Denmark, Norway, and England and had enough prestige. Or would that be more of VIET's spectrum?

Out of curiosity Ziji, would you ever consider adding in decisions that could 'restore' titular Empires? For example, the 'North Sea Empire' if a Danish/Norweigan/Anglo-Saxon ruler managed to hold the Kingdoms of Denmark, Norway, and England and had enough prestige. Or would that be more of VIET's spectrum?

Somewhere in between EMF and VIET. In theory, I'd do it. In practice, I have so much stuff on my plate to do that impacts greater swathes of the game at once that things like that tend to sit on the backburner.

This isn't really a bug, but... I'm running HIP without CPR and without SWMH/ARKO interface, and I've noticed the change to accepting Jewish courtiers has caused some bizarre behaviors. I'm seeing kingdoms in Spain destabilize when their king randomly goes Jewish.

It's a nice idea and all, but the loss of zealous makes me not accept the Jewish courtiers more often than not, and it's causing weird AI things. Wouldn't giving the Jewish courtier a "Sympathetic to *king religion*" trait or an opinion boost of some kind make more sense? I know the trait thing is probably to make AI kings actually use them, but there's got to be some way to do that which doesn't end in weird conversions.

Last edited:
This isn't really a bug, but... I'm running HIP without CPR and without SWMH/ARKO interface, and I've noticed the change to accepting Jewish courtiers has caused some bizarre behaviors. I'm seeing kingdoms in Spain destabilize when their king randomly goes Jewish.

It's a nice idea and all, but the loss of zealous makes me not accept the Jewish courtiers more often than not, and it's causing weird AI things. Wouldn't giving the Jewish courtier a "Sympathetic to *king religion*" trait or an opinion boost of some kind make more sense? I know the trait thing is probably to make AI kings actually use them, but there's got to be some way to do that which doesn't end in weird conversions.

I wonder why the King would ever convert to Judaism out of the blue? Did he marry a Jewish woman or something?

As far as losing 'zealous' if you decide to employ a heathen in your personal court (esp. for the purposes of potentially placing them on your council), I think that's fair. AIs which are already zealous will tend to reject the offers for the same reason, AFAIK.

I wonder why the King would ever convert to Judaism out of the blue? Did he marry a Jewish woman or something?

As far as losing 'zealous' if you decide to employ a heathen in your personal court (esp. for the purposes of potentially placing them on your council), I think that's fair. AIs which are already zealous will tend to reject the offers for the same reason, AFAIK.

More than one king! Their wives were not jewish. The only thing they had in common was jewish courtiers. The only thing I could think of was that it was a result of the change in accepting Jewish courtiers.

More than one king! Their wives were not jewish. The only thing they had in common was jewish courtiers. The only thing I could think of was that it was a result of the change in accepting Jewish courtiers.

After doing a little digging, it looks like the vanilla friendship events might be causing this problem. There are events which cause characters with sympathy to occasionally become friends with folks they have sympathy for, and there are also events which allow friends to try to convert each other. Unfortunately, it appears Paradox hasn't attached any ai_chance modifiers, so it's completely random whether the AI will convert or not. If they get the event often enough, conversion is inevitable. Fortunately, the fix is easy enough.