[Megathread] Leviathan Release Problems

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No answer is a good answer when you find yourself in this situation.
That is true yeah.
It's a rocky and difficult start for Paradox Tinto, but I hope they'll be able to bounce back and with enough time deliver a good patch so 1.31 and Leviathan can be enjoyed by everyone who wishes to.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't buy it, this happens far too many times with PDS releases for it to always be the fault of the higher-ups as some would have you believe. At some point the dev teams and QA need to step up and fix their parts of the overall s___show that the recent releases have been.
In this case it is a completely new dev team, all the previous dlc where made by a different team.

Edit with some extra information.
Previous dlc where made by Paradox Development Studio in Stockholm
This dlc was made by Paradox Tinto in Barcelona
I do not think the dlc and patch was ready for launch and should have been delayed.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
This is like asking NASA to release a list of galaxies that are yet to be discovered

Like you can assume that if they are undocumented then
a) either a change was unintended
b) or whoever implemented it forgot to add it to the documentation
c) or not documenting it was intentional(for whatever reason)

• 1Like
Reactions:
No answer is a good answer when you find yourself in this situation. But I still wanted to let you know that your concerns are heard.
1: Insulting people or lying to them is still very much unnecessary.
2: I don't doubt you're hearing us; I can just see that most DLC for the past few years have had the very same type of issues on launch, followed by a postmortem where you promise to improve. I hope you see why you can't actually ask us to trust you on this one.
3: Some of these issues are so obvious, and so egregious, I can't see how it was released in this state. It's genuinely shocking how you could include, e.g., placeholder art for several of the flagship features of the DLC. Refunding everyone and pulling the DLC until fixed is not such an unreasonable request that it can be compared to people calling bug-free games human rights; that's a strawman and an incredibly boneheaded move by a representative of a company relying on sales.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
I was thinking paradox could improve its QA process by perhaps implementing an open beta prior to release. The QA team is not quite sufficient enough to catch everything, so we, the players, have to tell paradox all the problems after release.

Why don't they do a beta phase? They rely on us anyway. That way, it doesn't increase manpower costs, no need to hire new staff. Just let us do it. We do it already. Just when it's too late...

If this was all worked out in an early open beta, release would not be a catastrophe. Paradox would save itself a lot of bad reviews, refunds, and rage on the forums.

This is a serious suggestion that I believe would be in the best interest of the devs and the players both.

• 8Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I can assure you that we do not take these matters lightly - and again I won't try to make excuses.

Assuming that the development team is just shrugging it off and laughing all the way to the bank is rather presumptuous however. The team consists of a number of people recruited from the community - people that joined Tinto for the love of the game and a desire to make it the best it can be. Sometimes things don't work out in the best way from the start however.

I once again promise that everyone involved is working really hard to have a patch out as soon as it is possible, but we do not believe in the abuse of workforce.
I don't think anyone here thinks that the coders are taking their money and going on holiday, but there does seem to be some real issue with management and its priorities when it comes to release dates and fixing issues found by the QA team. That's the thing that really concerns me, because I'm not sure how to know if management are aware of their own issues here. If there's someone above Johan on the sales side pushing for things that negatively affect the game, nothing will get better

Reactions:
We are not forced to work, we are willing to do so. It is called responsiblity and decency. If tens of thousands of people rely on your software, you do not want to let them down.
no one is "depending" on EU4. I agree, criticize the game, get a steam refund, whatever, but lol no under no circumstances should a freaking video game company be doing overnight crunches.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Why did they even touch the progress reform formula?

...Wait what in the seven heavens is that Governing Capacity screenshot

They also somehow broke custom nation rulers changing religion when you select a different religion than the default for your capital province. Another wtf were they doing bug...

• 5Haha
Reactions:
What's the funniest new feature that came together with the most recent DLC in your opinion guys?

I will start with an easy one, +100% missionary strength and free one faith for everybody.

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Amazing there is no statement from PDX. (is there?)
Nothing official yet, afaik. Curious to see whether Johan will go with a repeat of the 1.5 "Not our fault if players don't know how to play the game" level of disregard, or a generic "bugfix is coming" deflection.
I think the appropriate move would be a sound apology and some actual maneuvering,
but after seeing this release I'm pretty certain EUIV is no longer on the list of projects with a semblance of budget, and will be dropped as the cash cow should have dried up with this.

It's a shame, the gameplay was one of the most solid from the PDX Grand Strategy franchises. But with this level of quality, I will definitely stick with a rollback'd 1.30 version for any future playthroughs, and consequently have zero reason to invest even a single cent into EUIV's future 'undevelopement'.

...Wait what in the seven heavens is that Governing Capacity screenshot

Stacked government capacity modifiers to reduce cap to 0, and apparently having x/0 capacity usage gives the game an aneurysm that causes it to apply negative 100% of the debuffs to your country...

• 1Like
Reactions:
I will say, one thing I really really like in the patch is the new "Enemy Invasion Immenent" alert that pops up when someone is landing a naval force on you. That's a godsend.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Then something got really wrong. I'm not even sure when, maybe with Mandate of Heaven, or Mare Nostrum. The game is now an hypertrofied mess of redundant mechanics, hidden tabs, and too many buttons.
This is a great point. I actually just bought Imperator after the Marius update and compared to EU4 it feels like there's much more happening organically without me having to constantly hammer buttons on rotation like some kind of MMORPG. EU4 feels like there's always way more to do but there's so much less actually going on.

Reactions:
It's not my advice. My personal opinion is that you can still play the expansion and enjoy yourself if you so wish. But if you truly believe that this release is something that constitute a violation of human rights, maybe a refund is in its place :)
Is anyone saying this contravenes human rights? Intentionally misconstruing customer arguments is rather toxic of you.

People are angry because they’ve literally invested hundreds of £/$/€ s into this game and get treated so badly in return. You, Paradox haven’t even come out with an apology just deflections.

• 23Like
Reactions: