• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
GuyB said:
Why no research into tanks?

Fair enough question... First of all, I didn't have available IC to be able to field a panzer division before mid 1941 at the earliest, which rendered research into armour quite useless in the first part of the war. Secondly, once I ally with Germany I can speed up research quickly by trading blueprints. However, it all boils down to prioritization and I chose to focus more on other stuff... :p

I'm also playing an Italy game (normal/normal) and like Alexus I DOW'd Spain pre-war (April 36 in fact) and gobbled them up.

It's now late 1941 and I've got control of Spain, Gibraltar, Morocco (UK took it off Vichy, then I took it off UK), Yugoslavia, Greece, Egypt, Syria and Iraq. My puppet Ethiopia still holds out against the Allies (with 14 divs on Addis Abbaba keeping about 10 UK Divs tied up in an encirclement).

My advances are a bit stalled at the moment, though. The UK has large enough forces facing mine that I can't take Kuweit City (11 divs stacked there) and may not be able to advance much further into East Africa (not enough troops to secure my flank). I'm building up for attacking Bulgaria though, which hasn't joined the Axis, and then might turn on the Vichy French. Sure, they are currently at war with the Allies, but if I take 'em out I only have Turkey left to get a complete encirclement of the Med.

It's all going to come crashing down when the US becomes active, of course :)

Enjoying the AAR - keep up the good work!

Hey Capellan. nice to hear that you are enjoying the AAR :D Taking on Spain is probably the smart thing to do, but not really in line with my semi-historical approach in this AAR, so I have to see how I can do without. In terms of your other conquests they are in line with my ambition level except that I am going to have problems getting the rock. I must admit that I am truely amazed by your Ethiopian puppet. 14 divisions! How did they ever manage to get to that level? How are you handling the rebellious Syrians, Iraqis etc. - did you ever consider puppeting some of them? I hope to be able to hold the American tide with my impressive Regia Marina :D when time comes, but let's see how it goes :rolleyes: Hope to have next update ready later tonight, but in the weekend at the latest!

I liberated my Ethiopian puppet immediately (late Jan 36) and he's been producing at 6 IC pretty much ever since. I think 11 of the 14 divisions are Mil, but about half of them have brigades, so the UK's having no luck storming the capital.

The Syrians and Iraqis have not been a problem (not yet, anyway). I've got a lot of GAR out there, as well as a stack of 3 INF for anti-partisan duty, so hopefully I can keep things bottled down.

Kuweit City is now mine - the fleet sailed to the Persian Gulf and raided convoys for 3 months, and his defence collapsed. I'm even making headway in East Africa thanks to the divisions the Kuweit victory freed up.

Bulgaria has fallen. Rather handily, they attacked and annexed Romania after I DOW'd them, so I got both control of that as well. Italian forces are now deploying to Northern Russia to try and break the red army's defence of Leningrad and Moscow (Stalingrad has fallen, and the Germans are close to Baku).

I keep waiting for scores of US Divs to turn up and stomp me, since he is at war, but it hasn't happened yet :) (June 42)

Sopravvivenza dell'più adatto...(survival of the fittest)
GermanSSsoldiers3.jpg

German SS soldiers on parade during the phony war...

January 1940 saw the end of the Finnish winter war. Despite tough resistance from the Finnish soldiers it was not possible to hold back the Russian juggernaut. It was clear that the old rule of "Survival of the fittest" was in charge in Europe.

While Germany was implementing strict controls over their new Polish protectorate, Italy was working hard to meet the finish line in complying with the I-plan. In January, the raising of two motorized infantry division was ordered and an infantry division was deployed. Two squadrons of interceptors were also upgraded with the result that by end of January all the Italian armed forces were equipped with the newest equipment. Il Duce decided to boost the army even further by once again ordering more divisions than the eye can see (99 divisions in serial production).

Productionoverview2.jpg

The production line is getting more than full...

In February the last carrier air group was put in warehouses in Taranto and everything was now ready for the completion of the three ordered aircraft carriers. In March Lancia developed “Assembly line experimentation” and immediately started to leverage their findings in developing an assembly line procedure for aircraft construction. With the agreement on a new military doctrine for the use of pre-planned defenses the army was all set to war. Cantieri Ansaldo was asked to develop the two marine divisions even further (development of “Basic Marine division”). Finally, Cantieri Navali Riunite developed “Floating Fortress Doctrine” and Beretta was asked to develop “Basic Mountain Division”

On the 30th of March 1940 the German army moved towards the Danish border under the codename "Weserübung". However, it soon turned out to be more than a drill and war was declared on Denmark and Norway. While Denmark had been neglecting their defenses since the First World War and was missing any natural obstacles to hold the German armed forces, Norway was in a better situation to fight. Both countries joined the Allies, but Denmark chose to lay down their arms after a few border skirmishes in Southern Jutland and minor fighting in Copenhagen due to the threat of bombing Copenhagen. Norway chose to stand and fight - a fight that would turn out to be very bitter and draw a lot of resources from the third Reich.

DanishSoldiers.jpg

Danish soldiers prepare to fight outside Aabenraa

While the world was watching the German blitzkrieg tactics with fear, Macchi developed arguably the finest bomber produced in Italy during World War II and fully a match for any medium bomber produced by Germany or the Allies. The Z.1018 was a very clean design of the classic cantilever low-wing monoplane type with two wing-mounted engines, tail wheel landing gear incorporating main units that retracted into the rear of the engine nacelles, and a glazed nose incorporating the bombardier station. Truly thrilled with the developments of Regia Aeronautica Il Duce asked Breda to investigate how to incorporate an infantry body into the air force (develop “Early airborne division”). The first motorized infantry division was deployed in the mid of April and on the 1st of May RM Aquila, Europa and Sparviero was deployed and equipped with their carrier air groups. Italy now had three brand new aircraft carriers at their disposal... a reason for serious concern in Egypt and elsewhere in the British Empire. Italy was about to be ready for war!!!

Launchofaircraftcarrier.jpg

On the 1st of May RM Aquila, Europa and Sparviero was launched...

Another excellent update, Taswir. The writing is crisp and it is obvious that you have done your research. Please continue!

Vann

Extremely good AAR! Kick those democratic bastards out of your pond!

Thanks a lot for your support guys. It just makes it a lot more fun to write the AAR when somebody else is enjoying it! :D I was afraid that it was becoming a bit boring because of the lack of action, but happy to see that you are still hanging in there. From now on it is definitely going to be more action filled, since I can reveal that there is going to be high waves in my pond! Somebody is about to get hurt and I think you might have an idea about who that is :p I will probably be able to post the next update later tonight!!! :cool:

looking forward to it 1 question tough, why in hell did you ordered 198 units of infantry ? or is it pure for the RP?

Dhimmi said:
looking forward to it 1 question tough, why in hell did you ordered 198 units of infantry ? or is it pure for the RP?

he'll probably cancel them and make new 99 orders with each new tech like spade-tiger did in this aar. probably to save time so theres a continous stream of divs. am i right in my assumption? ;) hopefully, you'll be ready by 1941? or are you going to wait a bit?

That would be a logical call as you get more bang for buck with the serial prod reduction for every units you build sequentially. In essence he will get more than if he built one after another manually until 1957!

Its a technique I tend to use until I get better models or the assembly line techs!

Riunire le nubi... (gathering clouds)

Mussolini was standing and looking out of the window in his private office at the House of Parliament in Rome. The atmosphere in Europe had become tenser lately with the newspapers constantly writing about the war between the so-called Allies and Germany and her allies. The world had been stunned about the achievements of the German Wehrmacht in Poland. In less than a month, the Wehrmacht’s 99 divisions had crushed Polands 73 divisions! Although, many had believed that Germany would be victorious at the end unless France and Great Britain intervened, few had believed that it would have been possible in less than a year. While the basic training of the German soldiers were superior to the Polish, part of the secret lay in Germany’s 4 motorized divisions and 7 armored and light armored divisions. An additional source of Germany’s success was it vastly superior Luftwaffe that had 32 squadrons of the latest aircrafts compared to the just 7 squadrons of the Polish air force.

The Allies had reacted with their usual hesitation. Although they had honored their alliance with the Poles, the effect had been all but impressive. A landing of French elite troops in Danzig was all that had happened. With little to stop them, the Germans had now turned their eyes to Scandinavia to ensure the vital flow of iron ore from Sweden. Denmark had chosen to lay down their arms in face of impossible force. The Norwegians had chosen to take up arms against the German invaders, but had been forced back despite bitter resistance. So far Italy had chosen to remain neutral in accordance with the I-plan to ensure the quality of the Italian armed forces before entering into war, but the question was how long this was sustainable. Europe was in turmoil and one had to seize the opportunity now in order to take advantage of the momentum…

GermansinNorway2.jpg

German soldiers during the invasion of Norway...

Mussolini was interrupted in his line of thought by his ADC that entered the room. The ADC waited tactfully until Mussolini looked at him.

“Yes?”. “Il Duce, I have news of the outmost importance for you. Germany has declared war on the Low Countries – Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg!” “A declaration of war on three countries at the same time, with the campaign in Norway still not finished?!?! The success of the Germans has apparently turned to their head!”. “Nevertheless, the time is soon upon us when Italy will reclaim its rightful position in history!” Mussolini glanced at the calendar - The date was 2nd May 1940. “I want you to set up a meeting in the Fascist Grand Council on the 14th of May to discuss Italian reactions to the recent development”

FallGelb.jpg

The development of the battle plan for Fall Gelb from the original plan developed by OKH...

On the 14th of May 1940 the Fascist Grand Council was assembled in Houses of Parliament in a top secret meeting. A whole regiment of Mussolini’s elite troops had been appointed to guard the building and keep all unauthorized personnel out of the building. The well armed soldiers standing with loaded machine guns quickly scared off the few bypassing citizens.

ProgressofFallGelb.jpg

On the 14th of May – Fall Gelb is already well on the way to victory...

Chief of Staff Francesco Grazioli outlined the situation: “Il Duce, Gentlement... Let me give you an overview of the strategic situation. Italy currently holds territories on the Italian mainland, the protectorate of Albania, Libya, the islands of Sardinia, Dodecanese & Rhodes as well as significant positions in East Africa (Ethiopia and Somalia). Mare Nostrum has so far not seen any significant combat, although Great Britain, France and a number of minors (e.g. Yugoslavia) continue to violate Italian territorial waters. The governments of these impiously countries have also on several occasions questioned Italy’s natural right to rule the entire Mare Nostrum!”

Il Duce took the word: “Thank you Grazioli. Although, most of us are already aware of the situation, it is important to keep in mind considering the topic of today. Too long, Italy has been allowing the violation of our territorial waters and the subjugation of indigenous Italians. It is about time that the I-plan will come to live! I would like to hear your opinion on what you think the ambitions should be for the coming campaign”.

Chief of the Army Alberto Pariani was the first to speak: “Il Duce, the army has undergone significant improvement in accordance with the I-plan and is hence ready to undertake several operations. I recommend operations against Yugoslavia in order to ensure the liberation of the Italians there as well as ensuring access to the important industrial area in Belgrade. With Yugoslavia secured, we should move against Greece to ensure the entire coast line under Italian control”

Chief of the Navy Allesandrino Ceresa looked concerned: “Il Duce, I agree that the impious regimes of Yugoslavia and Greece should be overthrown, but we must focus on the main threats – most notably Great Britain. I therefore recommend a rapid attack on the British possessions in Mare Nostrum combined with an aggressive naval campaign to seize the momentum.”

Over the following hours the Italian battle plan for 1940 was drawn up. It had the following objectives in prioritized order:
  1. The conquest of Egypt and the Suez channel
  2. The destruction of the British fleets in Mare Nostrum
  3. The capture of the Iraqi oilfields in Mosul
  4. The seizure of Malta
It was agreed that the Italian possessions in East Africa should be left to their destiny given the total lack of strategic relevance and extreme difficulty in defending the territory. Additionally, it was decided that Italy should move on the offensive once it was certain that France would fall – more specifically when Paris was conquered by the Germans…

FallofParis.jpg

The fall of Paris...

The German offensive progressed quickly with Norway surrendering on the 27th of May and Holland capitulated on the 29th of May. In Italy, an additional infantry division was deployed and a tactical bomber upgraded to TAC III. On the 8th of June 1940 the Germans marched into Paris and the codeword “Spezia” went out to the Italian troops. The war was about to begin!!!

Excellent AAR mate :)

Love the writing style, snippets of humour and thorough research. Especially the detailed aeroplane information :D

I haven't played HOI 2 in months, but this AAR has inspired me to try an Italy game.

Best of luck my friend, may your victories be sweet and your plans come to fruition.

Tantor: Thanks a lot! I will do my very best to get a new update ready over the weekend...

Dhimmi: Thanks chief. Did you ever find out whether the Belgian airforce were in fact using CR 42's? ;)

Schizo!: Thanks Schizo! Glad that you have been inspired to play Italy. I can only recommend them... lot's of fun and you can only do better than historically :p I am a bit ahead in the game (end 1940) so I can promise that there will be a sweet victory or two. However, I will try to catch up with the AAR, since I think I would benefit a lot from the input from my loyal RedAARs :D

Vann the Red : Thanks a lot man. Next update over the weekend :D

Alexus: Thanks for your support. Please keep on reading and I will guarantee that the bottom of Mare Notrum will be covered with British ships :D

Dhimmi, 2Coats, Lifeless There are four reasons for ordering the 198 infantry divisions and they come very close to the suggestions of 2Coats and Lifeless:
  1. I know that I will need a lot of infantry, but not exactly how many and want to get the full bonus for the serial production
  2. Yes, they will be cancelled as new tech becomes available, in fact one of them is cancelled to make room for garrision divisions as you will see
  3. Of course it is kind of cool to order "more infantry divisions than the eye can see :p,
  4. Il Duce suffers from mild megalomania :rofl: