• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I had read it and I thought it had died. Each time I see it bumped up the forum it reminds me how much I enjoyed what you have wrote so far. I eagerly await for you to continue.

Oh, and before I forget -- these are the last couple days of voting! Can't vote for this one, obviously, and my others don't really qualify either -- but there's plenty of talent out there, and this is a great AARLand tradition, so go please participate and do honor for those great writers out there!

Glad to have you back. Can't wait to see what rabbit you can pull out of your hat.

Oh, I do so hope that this project does not become lost or forgotten. It has been absolutely riveting from beginning to now.

Rensslaer this has been an absolutely phenomenal project. As a player new to both HoI3, the series, and Paradox games as a whole, this has done so much to generate my interest in the game. I do hope RL lets up on you so you can return to finish this captivating story. In the mean time, I'll start availing myself of your other works (I've now started into Fire Warms the Northern Lands- I have a general obsession with my German ancestry). Well done here so far though, I look forward to see how the German people react to being on the defensive side as they have rarely been in their history.

Also next up for me, the strategy guides. There may be hope for me yet to understand this game.

On a side note, Paradox needs to create a "game record" feature in the next iteration of this (and their other games). I think it would be fantastic to download someones game and simply watch it play out across the map. Perhaps I'm just weird, but I would absolute love to watch the game just play out and see how others play and react.

Sorry, didn't realize how long it had been since I'd done feedback! :)

Maj. General Herrgott fights on the side with the largest armour!!!

It's not what you know, it's who you know, I guess. ;)

I had read it and I thought it had died. Each time I see it bumped up the forum it reminds me how much I enjoyed what you have wrote so far. I eagerly await for you to continue.

Thanks, Jagdpnzr! I really appreciate that.

I will be continuing, one day relatively soon. I'm actually very anxious to get back to the gameplay, as I've not yet puzzled out how to get out of this conundrum...

It sounds like you've been around, lurking, for a while, but since this is your first post, Welcome, Jagdpnzr!

Glad to have you back. Can't wait to see what rabbit you can pull out of your hat.

I'm looking forward to seeing that too! :D Thanks, Misterbean! I'm excited to be coming back (to this) soon, and of course I've been enjoying AARing these past 3 months so much that I've started another AAR (in V2).

Oh, I do so hope that this project does not become lost or forgotten. It has been absolutely riveting from beginning to now.

Rensslaer this has been an absolutely phenomenal project. As a player new to both HoI3, the series, and Paradox games as a whole, this has done so much to generate my interest in the game. I do hope RL lets up on you so you can return to finish this captivating story. In the mean time, I'll start availing myself of your other works (I've now started into Fire Warms the Northern Lands- I have a general obsession with my German ancestry). Well done here so far though, I look forward to see how the German people react to being on the defensive side as they have rarely been in their history.

Also next up for me, the strategy guides. There may be hope for me yet to understand this game.

On a side note, Paradox needs to create a "game record" feature in the next iteration of this (and their other games). I think it would be fantastic to download someones game and simply watch it play out across the map. Perhaps I'm just weird, but I would absolute love to watch the game just play out and see how others play and react.

Welcome, RavenSeven! It's good to get a breath of fresh air through your post, and feel your excitement! I'm glad you're enjoying Paradox games. I really love HOI 3 -- my favorite game, by far.

I'm also excited that you're reading Fire Warms! That old work of mine gets forgotten alot, because it's for V1, and because it's been completed for about 6 years now, but it's still by far my favorite AAR. I really need to get back to fiction writing. I'm actually working on a prequel to Fire Warms that I'd like to publish for real, and I've been doing some research for that recently. Oddly, there's practically nothing written about Wilhelm I in English, so last week I got a German-language biography in the mail and I'm trying to read it (I never had reading proficiency in German, so this will be my way of developing that :D).

The Strategy Guides should still be useful, so long as you realize alot of the more detailed recommendations have changed because of the expansions and patches. I teach alot of general military strategy in there, though, as well as how to break through lines, etc., so that stuff "will never go out of style!". :)

For everyone...

Planning-wise, I expect I will probably be wrapping up Imperio Novo within the next month or two at the latest. So by May or before May, I expect I'll begin posting updates here in Kriegsgefahr again. I'm really looking forward to picking it up again, because it's a fascinating scenario. As I mentioned, I'm still not 100% sure how I'm going to get out of this fix I've put myself in. But I trust I will. If not, it should still be riveting reading! :D

Thanks again for those of you who still read this, and especially for those who've taken the time to comment and encourage me!

Rensslaer

mail me if you need some help with that German.
just don't expect me to translate the whole thing for you :D

Don't laugh at me, but having your acknowledgment of my post feels like shaking hands with a legend! It's like the first time I talked to The Chieftan from World of Tanks in the in game chat (obviously I like WWII games).

I am curious... I've seen mention of this book several times, but I have not caught the subject of it, or I have simply missed it. Would it be possible to find out? I'm mostly curious in if it is related to historical subject matter and, loving historical novels as I do, both fiction and non-fiction, I would be very interested to read it someday. Just curious.

Anyway, I will continue with Fire Warms and I'll have to peek in to Imperial Novo as it enters its final phase. I must say I think Paradox should hire you to write historical fiction/ alternate history based on their games! I know from my experience it would likely generate an incredible amount of interest in their games.

One final question- any suggestions on other writers I should check out, AAR-wise. I do so love a good AAR, although I've never been brave enough to write one myself (often considered it in my Empire Total War and Napoleon Total War days).

Wow. Read this really neat idea for this. Love the idea of a 'peaceful' Europe! Especially after reading some books about Post WW1 and Pre WW2 diplomacy and the all consuming desire for 'anything up to, but not including war.'

Wow. Read this really neat idea for this. Love the idea of a 'peaceful' Europe! Especially after reading some books about Post WW1 and Pre WW2 diplomacy and the all consuming desire for 'anything up to, but not including war.'

There are really some fascinating books about WW I and WW II diplomacy. WW I was practically an accident -- the secret treaties made the Balance of Power seem like more than it was, and destabilized the whole thing. I was shocked, frankly, by how close the European community was before WW I, and how senseless it was that, after nearly 100 years of peace (one-on-one wars like Austro-Prussian and Franco-Prussian aside) everything fell apart. A deep and enduring shame, really.

Welcome, MC5!

Don't laugh at me, but having your acknowledgment of my post feels like shaking hands with a legend! It's like the first time I talked to The Chieftan from World of Tanks in the in game chat (obviously I like WWII games).

I am curious... I've seen mention of this book several times, but I have not caught the subject of it, or I have simply missed it. Would it be possible to find out? I'm mostly curious in if it is related to historical subject matter and, loving historical novels as I do, both fiction and non-fiction, I would be very interested to read it someday. Just curious.

Anyway, I will continue with Fire Warms and I'll have to peek in to Imperial Novo as it enters its final phase. I must say I think Paradox should hire you to write historical fiction/ alternate history based on their games! I know from my experience it would likely generate an incredible amount of interest in their games.

One final question- any suggestions on other writers I should check out, AAR-wise. I do so love a good AAR, although I've never been brave enough to write one myself (often considered it in my Empire Total War and Napoleon Total War days).

Not laughing, but humbled and appreciative! :) I'm not all that, though – I’m just a guy who has been gifted with a talent for writing, and who enjoys doing it! I’m not the only one around here, to be sure. I've really fallen in love with the Forums and the community here. I enjoy doing things for the Forum and enjoy seeing what others do for it. And I’m proud of the level of quality of so many of the AARs here.

"The Book" -- the non-fiction one I've been working on for about 7 years, mostly the last couple -- is political in nature, and I can't really discuss the topic here without offending many sensibilities of those who think differently, so... Let's just say it's political, and as should be fairly obvious from a number of signals here on the Forum, I'm of the conservative Republican, Constitutionalist bent, so discussing it here would just drive 2/3 of the Forum mad. :D

After that book, it's my intention to sit down and write about 3 or 5 trilogies of historical fiction books, and then continue from there. ;) Thanks about Paradox. Myself and a number of people have suggested the same thing, but for a variety of reasons I don't think Paradox is quite going to go there. That's partly why they support this Forum, though -- they realize it helps sell the games.

Since you asked about other writers, and since I get the impression you like narrative historical fiction, I've spent a couple of days thinking about some that I would recommend. I don’t want my memories of favorite stories to be “moments lost in time,” to quote from Blade Runner, once I maybe aren’t around anymore. So here is an incomplete list of recommendations.

Just as I haven’t had sufficient time to write historical fiction since Fire Warms, also I haven’t had time to read historical fiction in quite some time, so my recommendations probably miss some magnificent work in recent years that I’m just not familiar with. These are mostly older classic narrative AARs. There are also some narrative AARs from previously that I’ve never read, and so can’t recommend. Others contemporary with mine which I never read, and I know to be of very high quality, but again haven’t read enough to vouch for personaly. I apologize for those I’m leaving out, and I know there are a lot of really great AARs not on this list. I’m not including gameplay or historybook AARs, though there are many great ones. I focus on narrative fiction AARs because 1) there are fewer narratives, 2) I tend toward narratives, 3) from what you’ve said, it sounds like you do too. I know I’ve missed some top-quality narrative AARs, but these are the ones I remember, and maybe some others could add recommendations.

This forum has a tremendous legacy of exceptionally well-written, near-professional narrative AARs. I know at least two Forumites (Lord Durham and Prufrock451) who’ve published books (I don’t think Prufrock has published fiction – he’s got at least one non-fiction book out there, but I may be ignorant of others). Many of these writers are much better than I.

So… Recommendations:

Anything by Director
1) A Special Providence is still going/updating (V1)
2) Historypark stories (2 of them… or more?)

Anything by TheYogi
1) The Eagle and the Lion – Germany and Austria won WWI and now collaborate in WWII against the Bolsheviks. Seemingly plausible and well researched.

2) The Empire of Fu Manchu (HOI 2, plus its predecessor from HOI 1) – TheYogi manages to weave about one or two dozen characters from history or pop fiction into his story (Fu Manchu, Indiana Jones, Skorzeny, Hannah Reitsch, Buck Rogers, etc.etc.) – TRULY an amazing work!

Anything by Lord Durham – I confess to not having read as much of his works as I’d like (he’s written A LOT), but what I have read is of the highest quality. He’s most famous here for his Free Company series of interactive or interparticipatory AARs where he and others collaborated. These Free Company stories show you a good range of writers, many of them very competent.
Example: Free Company V

The Eagles of Avalon, by Mettrmrck (EU2)

Resurrection: Rebirth of the United States, by CatKnight (EU2) – Early American History with a very dark twist

In Memory of France, by Stnylan (EU 2) – An intricate and very well woven story w/o much view of the game

For King and Country, by Draco Rexus (HOI 2) – An amazing character-driven AAR/novel with extraordinary, almost excruciating detail! An amazing thing to behold, and what was most amazing was the rate at which he posted exhaustively researched updates. Really great stuff! What I read of the political machinations was pretty solid, too, as I recall.

Sacred Grove of Brittania, by Sir Humphrey (HOI 2) – This is more like a political drama than an AAR, set primarily, as I recall, in the cabinet rooms of the British Empire. But, despite my admonition against the “bored room syndrome” (from AARLander 7), Sir Humphrey actually pulled it off – a magnificent example of realistic, compelling and interesting cabinet meetings with great characterization (detailed, well-researched personalities), and plausible political twists and turns.

The Third Empire (Imperial France), by Cthulhu (HOI 2) – A worldwide conspiracy AAR in the Cthulhu style/franchise

A War Hero and the US Presidential Election of 1948, by Therev (HOI 2) – A fascinating political thriller and mystery of sorts (reminds me of the REAL Manchurian Candidate movie(s)). Unfortunately never completed, but what’s there is quite interesting, and draws upon real historical speculations. Well written and scripted like a 1940s or 1950s movie.

The Last Mission, by TheExecuter (HOI 2) – More of a philosophical and theological explorative journey than a typical AAR, it’s worth reading for the insights alone! Well written and he does a good job of tugging at your heart in very poignant ways.

Into the West, by Coz1 (V1) – The game is almost hidden in this story, which is a character-driven “western” drama (old west) combined with Civil War action. VERY deep characterization in an almost Odyssey-like plot arc.

The Patriot’s Sword, by RossN (V1) – Feinians, Bonapartes and Canada, all mixed into one (one of the “lost” Napoleons is a main character). Really well written and poignant, as I recall.

84 Years in Vienna, by DerKaiser (V1) – Sort of the Austrian counterpart to Fire Warms, similar style.

Some others I’ve read only parts of, which nevertheless appear to be of supreme quality:

Byzantine’s Khan, by Amric – Timur Link (Genghis Khan) follows a more civilized path than historical

Vive L’Empereur, by TriezeV (EU 3) – TriezeV is known for exceptionally well-written battle scenes, and much more (his other AARs are recommended also).

The Manchurian Candidate, by Grayghost (HOI 2)

The Danish Revival, by Fiftypence (V1) – A well written but dark supernaturalist AAR

The Machiavellian Adventures of Princess Eleanor, by Frogbeastegg (CK 1) – I have read parts of this, but it’s an enormous story (updated between 2004 and2011), and I’ve not read enough to say I “know” the story or anything. From a woman’s perspective, written by one of the few women on the Forum. Exceptional writing quality, scripting, etc.

_______

Lastly, I’d like to mention the latest edition of the AARLander, with some very interesting articles:

Given the subject matter, I understand your hesitance to go into details. Despite the fact that my impressions thus far of your political leanings are somewhat different from mine, I'll send you a PM about it further. After all, one cannot truly maintain their political position (or for that matter, any position) without truly understanding the positions around them.

I shall look into your suggestions. I am very much a fan of historical narrative and historical fiction. I am a huge fan of Turtledove's "Southern Victory" series (or known by some as his "American Empire" series). I have yet to find a mod for it for HoI3 (I have seen one for HoI2, which sadly I do not own). The problems I've seen to date are issues over standing of nations prior to the outbreak of war, as Turtledove does not focus much on the world scene beyond the interests of the USA and CSA. I may start reading again to gather details in hope of helping modders in the future interested in such a project (as I have little experience or capability modding).

Well, all that being said, I shall cease my digression from the thread topics. I look forward to the continuation of the story. In the meantime I shall avail myself of your other works and the works you have suggested. Depending on my current schedule, and yours, we'll see how much I get through before the return.

P.S.- Few great people have ever considered themselves great in their time. They are far often just people doing the best they can at what they do. My father is a great man readers of this post likely have never and will never meet, but he will always be a great man to me. In the end, bringing joy to at least one person of the course our lives is enough to make us great at least once. :)

I shall look into your suggestions. I am very much a fan of historical narrative and historical fiction. I am a huge fan of Turtledove's "Southern Victory" series (or known by some as his "American Empire" series). I have yet to find a mod for it for HoI3 (I have seen one for HoI2, which sadly I do not own). The problems I've seen to date are issues over standing of nations prior to the outbreak of war, as Turtledove does not focus much on the world scene beyond the interests of the USA and CSA. I may start reading again to gather details in hope of helping modders in the future interested in such a project (as I have little experience or capability modding).

One of my favorite alt-history authors, believe it or not, is Newt Gingrich (and/or his co-author William Forstschen). He's got some great Civil War and WWII stories. I checked out his book 1945 from the library, and have somehow lost it somewhere in my house. Am really looking forward to reading it. I like his stuff better than Turtledove. I think he does a better job at characterization.

Hey, folks! Big news is I've begun writing the next update! It'll be a bit before it's ready, but it's possible it might appear this week. I'm not 100% back yet (you've heard that before), so don't expect regular updates until late April or May.

I'm excited to get back into the gameplay, though. I've posed myself a real challenge, and I need to find my way out of this trap I've laid!

Rensslaer

Oh man, Rensslaer is back in the swing!!! *prepares micro for popcorn and puts beer in fridge*

I don't remember, since it's been so long (no pun intended :p), but have you tried pulling everyone back behind the Oder river, and then coming at them from a point of strength?

Oh man, Rensslaer is back in the swing!!! *prepares micro for popcorn and puts beer in fridge*

:D Welcome back, LewsTherin! Glad to have a ready supply of readership as this gets rolling again!

I don't remember, since it's been so long (no pun intended :p), but have you tried pulling everyone back behind the Oder river, and then coming at them from a point of strength?

It's actually been so long that you may not realize I've only JUST come into contact with the Soviets in these last 3 updates (continuing into the 4th, which I'll post this week). So pulling back is premature. I've been trying to come at them from a position of strength, and the northern arm of this effort has just failed (as shown in 2 of the last 3 updates). The fate of the southern arm still remains to be seen (that's the subject of the next update).

I do actually have a secondary defensive line forming up on the Oder already, but I don't want to fall back there until I'm convinced the forward defensive line is lost. I've not yet seen that it won't hold -- what I've seen is that my offensive moves are having difficulty. :)

On the subject of that next update -- the one I will post this week -- I've just finished writing it! I need to upload the screenshots still, and get some other stuff in order, but I'll get it to you soon, to liven this AAR up for a change! :D

Thanks for your continued support, even through my long absences! See you soon! Anyone out there starting this from scratch, in anticipation?

Rensslaer

Note to Readers: This AAR has been in hiatus for almost a year. Now that April is here, I'm going to stir it up again and begin posting, slowly. We're now officially open for business again! :) It's also been a year since I've done gameplay, so I don't want to get too far ahead in the AAR so that I'm not sure where the future is going -- I love foreshadowing, so I need to know where it's going. So I may post slowly at first (the next update is already ready, so not TOO slowly...). I do hope you enjoy the reinvigoration of this AAR! If you have lost tabs with it, you might go back a few updates, or you might even want to start from the beginning. This update, and the previous 3, have tracked Operations Griff and Brise -- the two first counteroffensive operations by Germany, against the Soviet invasion of Poland. Keep in mind there are TWO stages to this AAR -- the first, experimental run, and the 2nd where I artificially started a war with the USSR to test out the other potential historical branch. Enjoy! :)

Operation Griff – The Southern Front, Part 2​

In the first part of August, 1941, the Soviets, having pushed quickly through Poland, had overextended themselves along the Czechoslovak border, and there was hope that Operation Griff could entrap some Soviet divisions there, and elsewhere along that border.

At this very time – the 20th of August – it seemed very like operations in the north, Operation Brise, mounted from northern Poland and East Prussia, might actually succeed in a second attempt to entrap a large number of overextended Russian divisions there. And so confidence was high – it appeared that after initial failures in the north and the south, the Germans were catching onto the game and would succeed in pocketing in either region. However, the earlier failure had infused German generals with a measure of caution. The German Heer was not as wildly superior to the Soviets as had been expected, and the sheer numbers of Communist divisions had proved a waterfall against which it was hard to swim.

Gen. Haase’s 2nd and 9th Panzers (light) had just initiated a spearhead into Pruchnik – his second attempt, the first having been blunted earlier in the operation. Gen. von Thoma was supporting this thrust with a holding action to the north into Rzeszow, with his 6th Panzer (medium).

20Aug1941NowySacs_zpsfb35472f.jpg

To the south of the main spearhead, Gen. von Schobert’s 28th Infantry was holding a strong position at Nowy Sacz (essentially occupying the units they hoped to entrap, by allowing them to continue their futile assault), while Gen. Ruoff’s 23rd Infantry put pressure upon the pocket, pinning the units trapped at Nowy Targ, preventing their escape.

Haase’s panzers broke through at 0700 on the morning of the 20th. They quickly set a plan in motion to exploit the breakthrough, and trap the remaining Soviet units, pressing them against the Czech border. The deepest penetration was assigned to Gen. Gudowius’ 2nd Panzer, which was tasked with capturing the airfields at Przemysl, then driving further to Drohobycz to complete the encirclement.

21Aug1941HaaseExploit_zps07157f6b.jpg

Gen. von Thoma’s 6th Panzers were tasked with holding back the enemy drive at Rzeszow, but against 4 enemy divisions they were quickly disorganized and lost combat effectiveness. When they ceased to advance, once Haase had arrived in Pruchnik, these four Soviet divisions concentrated their might upon the 6th Panzers, which were hard pressed to hold at Gorlitz. His tanks needed rest, badly.

More attacks were being deployed against Gen. Halder’s 13th Motorized Infantry, and the 9th Panzer, trying to hold the neck of the spearhead open, at Pruchnik. That position would hold for a while, but the rest of the operation seemed in question. As with many penetration efforts, it was not clear who was most in danger of being cut off. And with such a numerical advantage for the Soviets, the Germans were unquestionably in danger from their risky gambit.

22Aug1941Pruchnik_zps92f0d5f1.jpg

It was fortunate, all in all, that there was not a huge depth of forces in the Przemysl and Drohobycz area – the Germans had managed to encircle almost all of the divisions in the far south. On the other hand, those pocketed Soviet divisions were not yet feeling the pinch of being out of supply, so they still had potent forces putting pressure upon the inside of the circle.

Stung, the Soviet war machine turned its attention south to extricate its southernmost elements from this trap. At the same time, as much military power as could be managed – on the ground and from the air – was turned against the pocket of trapped Soviet divisions, which were in many cases weakened from the attack upon Nowy Sacz and other operations. But the brunt of Soviet efforts, both from within the pocket and from outside, was concentrated upon the weak link at Pruchnik.

23Aug1941PocketFailing_zps1f9fe978.jpg

By the 23rd, the attack upon Drohobycz was spent, and Gudowius’ panzers could turn their attention toward pressing the Soviets in the pocket back. Soon after, the attack by the 13th Motorized against Tyrawa Woloska succeeded in forcing the pocket back, simultaneously relieving some of the pressure upon Pruchnik. And then, around 0900, the Soviets relented in the battle against von Thoma’s panzers at Gorlitz.

It began to look as if the thin arc of the spearhead might hold, and the operation would bring victory. But then, an attack was resumed upon Gorlitz by fresher Soviet units from the north. Gen. Leeb’s 3rd Infantry was ordered to attack these units – no fewer than 5 divisions – at Tarnow, lest they roll over Gorlitz. More pressure was brought against Pruchnik, and while it was clear that the Soviet divisions in the pocket were weak and growing weaker with lack of supply, time was running out, as more Soviet divisions were closing in on the field of battle from behind the lines.

23Aug1941Drohobycz_zps5535c1f2.jpg

In the late evening of the 23rd, rear guard elements of Gudowius’ 2nd Panzer came under increasing fire from skirmishers of an approaching division, arriving from the east. After 4 days of constant action, 2nd Panzer was tired, and not operating as efficiently as could have been wished.

Quickly, Gudowius ordered a halt of the attack upon the pocket. Recognizing his extreme position, and the overall fragility of the whole of Operation Griff, he ordered a retreat toward Przemysl. In hindsight, this was obviously the correct decision. Many were concerned that this doomed Griff to failure, but the situation was changing hour by hour, and it was hoped something could still be salvaged.

24Aug1941Gudowius_zps4e70adbe.jpg

On the 24th, the 2nd Panzer had reached Przemysl, but now, since they had previously defeated the enemy at Ozenna, and they were retreating, it appeared that there might yet be an opportunity to salvage the situation. Besides, the territory ahead of him, on the path across the spearhead toward home, were all heavily engaged, and 2nd Panzer would become involved.

Gudowius received approval to run quickly into Ozenna, moving the pocket in just enough to keep Russian units from contacting each other. But now it was a race. There were Soviet units putting pressure upon the whole operation, still, and any victory would be a near run thing.

25Aug1941Ozenna_zpse52f9fce.jpg

Once there, they came under attack by the 25th Strelkovaya, which was still fighting to escape the pocket and make contact with their compatriots in the east. Units across the whole of the region were still fighting heavily to reduce the pocket, hopefully to compel a surrender.

Late on the 25th, Gen. Leeb’s 3rd Infantry had become too exhausted to continue the fight to pin or distract Soviet divisions at Tarnow. Now, their full force came to be exerted upon Gorlitz, or upon Leeb’s position at Limanowa. That position weakened and fell on 27 August, and Gen. Leeb was forced to fall back. Fortunately, even if that province fell, that did not directly threaten the escape route – it simply made it longer.

27Aug1941NowyTarg_zpsb30eaf2e.jpg

On the morning of the 27th, it seemed all might suddenly be redeemed. The Red Army forces of the pocket holding at Nowy Targ finally gave way, and Gen. Ruoff’s 23rd Infantry advanced. They could be threatening the whole, weakened, center of the pocket by the morning of the next day.

With Gen. Haase’s infantry advancing into Tyrawa Woloska, that could signal the end of the pocket, and the surrender of at least 7 Soviet divisions. The 2nd Panzer would be freed from its own frightening situation, and the whole operation could withdraw in good order with their prisoners and allow the stunned Russians to advance to rescue the ashes that remained.

But that remained but a forlorn hope. Early on the 28th another division in the confused cauldron turned up to halt the advance of the 23rd Infantry, and that fight for Nowy Targ renewed. Soviet light tanks broke through into Pruchnik before the 13th Motorized could reach Tyrawa Woloska, and Gen. Haase diverted west to preserve his force.

29Aug1941PanzersTrapped_zps9dca3e4a.jpg

A decision was also reached at PanzergruppenKommando Sud, that the onrush of Soviet divisions would have to be stopped by something, and another defensive line could not realistically be formed by a collection of ragtag survivors from a failed operation. Operation Griff was officially called off, despite the 2nd Panzer’s being trapped behind the lines at Ozenna.

Gen. Gudowius’ panzers were, by then, judged to be irretrievably lost. Greater concerns must be given priority. His loss would be mourned, but the Fatherland had to be protected, and there was no other choice.

31Aug1941Failure_zpse5f6f553.jpg

By this time – on the 29th – Gen. Rommel was already guiding the surviving units (all of them, by God’s blessed mercy) of the failed 2nd stage of Operation Brise to safety in the north. Both operations, during which Germany had hoped to demonstrate her ability to carve off and destroy elements of the Red Army, had failed, except as delaying tactics. And a German Panzer division had been lost. The Russians in the kessel had been saved.

Operation Griff, like Operation Brise, had been an operational failure. But much had been learned about relative capabilities, and operational realities. With the exception of the 2nd Panzers, the hard lesson had come without much cost. In memory of Gudowius, it was demanded that proper improvements and corrections be built from the ashes.

Ouch. It's not quite the Oder in 1945 yet, but it seems that your emphasis on technology and mobility is being outgunned by the Soviet hordes (the last battle report shows 18,000 Germans facing off against over 100,000 Reds). To quote/paraphrase Stalin, it appears that quantity does have a quality of its own. :)

Good luck finding a defensive line where you can hold the Red Tide (and I mean that in an encouraging way, not a dismissive one).

Not to tell you how to play your game, but I do see a way you could have freed up more troops for the offensive. I don't know the name of the province off the top of my head, but the urban province 2 provinces north of the western-most Soviet penetration province contains 2 inf divisions. Also, the province immediately north of that urban province, with the river between it and the Soviet controlled province, also contains 2 inf divisions. Both of these provinces could have been held with only 1 division each, because of terrain features.

I don't know if these 2 would have been enough but they would have helped. Just my $0.02.

You know, I think this could have worked, had you just maintained a defensive line elsewhere and really focused your schwerpunkt on 1 single main assault.
Then again, there ARE a ton of Soviets around, so it might not have made any difference.
In any other PI game, I would suggest you peace out for now. This is HOI, and the rules are quite different. Is there really no way to find some extra allies? anything to just slow them down, force them to divert troops elsewhere.
oh, and mil spamming right now just might be an option.
and a thought just occured to me. What would happen to the Soviet assault if you could amphib assault someplace like right next to Leningrad? Some kind of flying circus, maybe?