• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hei,

This AAR is really impressive. I was waiting for a Legitimist AAR with France for years and I'm not disappointed at all ! Thanks a lot and I wish to you a good continuation.

But, on contrary to what Emp Palpatine said, our Fondamental Laws of the Kingdom accept a foreign King if he is the direct heir of the former king by the male and if he is catholic.
Because the Crown is not the property of the King but a public good, the Treaty of Utrecht to move a spanish descendant aside from the French Throne is "constitutionnally" illegal.
For exemple, the present presomptive legitimist heir is Spanish King Juan Carlos I de Borbon.

Last edited:
You know like me that the Fundamental laws are not written, and such subject to interpretations.
And from what I recall and have read, the claim that a spaniard could be heir to the Crown is not that evident.

I still do believe that the more realistic choice, in terms of gameplay and realism is wether to make Henry V have some kid or go into the fusion idea.

Chapter XI: The Sun Shall Never Set

044.jpg

Quiet in Mexico.

French forces arrived in Mexico by early April of 1875. Elements of the French Foreign Legion landed in the Yucatan, capturing rebel outposts with few casualties, and two French divisions from Marsailles marched to the threatened Mexican positions in the Capital district. Within a month of the French arrival weapons poured in to the imperialist faction, and they soon had a firm grasp on the situation. French troops stayed for approximately 2 months for some minor training and anti rebel measures and then returned home.

039.jpg

French forces land in Touran to disrupt the Viet Namese army.

The situation in Vietnam was becoming critical. Vietnamese forces became increasingly brash in their attitude towards France, and their government unjustly called for an end to French ownership of Saigon. This slight was unacceptable to the French monarchy, and French forces in Mexico were called for duty in Vietnam. Arriving in Touran in September of 1875, the Vietnamese forces in the area quickly retreated after a quick skirmish, effectively cutting off 17 Vietnamese divisions on the border with Saigon.

The possibilities of a greater conflict with the rest of Indochina spurred France to call up her reserves to prepare for the invasion if needed. The 12 of the 17 Vietnamese divisions attempted a breakthrough in November of the same year, but we're beaten back by severely outnumbered Foreign Legion units, with their defeat the 20000 Colonial Guard and 20000 regulars from the Mainland of France advanced on the entrapped vietnamese positions.

041.jpg

French forces advance on the Emperor's army in Phouyin

Within hours the Vietnamese forces in Phouyin surrendered, with around 1,000 Vietnamese casualties to 80 French casualties combined. This resounding success encouraged France to move her men north to the Vietnamese Emperor's capital of Hue. While French losses remained low at the Battle of Hue, some 4,000 Vietnamese colonial forces were killed in action serving their glorious King. Their deaths for the greater cause would not be forgotten, and thus, France marches on North.

By the time Hue is captured the Emperor of Vietnam sent out diplomats to secure an end to the conflict. But France made it clear they would not accept a Vietnamese Emperor unless he accepted Henri V as his King. By November of 1877 Vietnam agreed, and became part of the glorious kingdom of France. Almost immediately however, rebellions popped up throughout the province. 22 French divisions were sent from France to handle Vietnam's neighbors Laos and Cambodia.

042.jpg

The Emperor surrenders

By March of the next year France was at war with the previously mentioned countries. While the conflict was over in these areas by August of the same year, the rebellion would continue for decades to come, causing France a significant headache. France soon after the Laos and Cambodia annexation assured Siam to their West that they will not attack, and work with Siam to bring them into the world of modern nations. Giving them supplies, training, and technology.

043.jpg

Laos and Cambodia are added to the French holdings.

It would appear that French dominace of the world is all but guranteed. Let us see if wars, combined the later liberalization of Europe, will cause you some more to deal with :)

I'm very impressed with the establishment of New France. It was something I never thought of doing. You've give the Royal navy and the Americans the slip ;)

And a familiar-looking map results.

You going to puppet Siam or try to ally them?

Chapter XII: The New Era​

By Fall of 1877 it was clear the now ailing health of King Henri and his lack of issue was going to cause a serious succession crisis in France, thusly with the king's own consent, the 1877 Convention of Royalists at his home in Versailles was convened. Delegates from Spain, Portugal, Two-Sicilies, and the Orleanists met to hammer out the succession to the throne of France.

Despite strong objections at first from the Carlist camp, it was eventually settled. Head of the Orleanists, Philippe, comte de Paris, would be the new king of a unified French Bourbon household at the death of Henri. This news was received to great fanfare within the French press, who believed it would be a new era for France and her people.

045.jpg

Revolts in French West Africa

Colonially, revolts in French Indochina became increasingly problematic, to the point an entire army was required to be stationed there to prevent Viet Nam's rebels from over taking the country. Similar problems arose in Senegal, where there were not enough soldiers to handle a rebellion of nearly 20,000. The Royal Dragoons of Bordeaux were sent to deal with the trouble in Senegal.

By July the revolts had been crushed. But the Royal Dragoon's tour of duty was not done yet. Soon after the defeat of the revolting tribes in Eastern Senegal, the people of the North Leeward Islands in the Caribbean declared their independence with the backing of local British aristocrats. Within hours of arrival the island's government surrendered and 32 British aristocrats hanged from the gallows.

Also in the Caribbean, the French bought the Danish Virgin Islands for a "hefty" cash sum. The exact amount was undisclosed to the public. France now controlled a large chunk of the natural sugar cane production in the world.

On December 1st, 1878, Canada completed the final provision of the treaty with France and declared independence from Great Britain. They then entered a "Permanent treaty of mutual protection" with the United States, to stave off another French invasion. But France was ultimately satisfied with the results, as Franco-American relations were at an all time high, as France had sought no damages or penalties from the US during the war, and with the countries sharing various naval technology platforms and President Hayes meeting with King Henri at Versailles for a state visit, they were some of the best bilateral relations on the planet.

Perhaps a Franco-American alliance, although it seems unlikely. I would say more colonies! Everyone loves colonies...

I am surprised that the American government, not to mention the people, arent alarmed by the reentry of France onto North American soil. Kind of violates the whole Monroe Doctrine thing, huh.