• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm impressed at the British performance, I honestly wasn't expecting them to last more than a few weeks.

I'd assume that the main fear at the moment is a repeat of the first Weltkreig, as the size and poor infrastructure of Africa and the Middle East and the sheer mass of German troops in the Fatherland block any meaningful advance. How close is the atomic bomb to completion?

I look away for a week and THIS happens...

I expect lots and lots of references to the Counter-Reformation and the Wars of Religion in the official histories of this war.

Achem.

You've been showcased.

Always wanted to say that.

Congratulations, Tritoch! Can't wait for more updates.

Will you release a properly sized Poland? Those poor Poles have been suffering under the Protestants for too long :p :D

This! I know a big HRE is cool, but Poland was always catholic. The polish nation was created when Mieszko was christened.

Sorry for the first post containing nationalism but I can't help it. The AAR in overall is great and I'd like to thank Meadow for introducing me to it.

SO GOOD! Im subscribed. I can't wait to see you invade the US

This aar is awesome.:cool: Go Pope, go!

I'm going to add my voice to the chorus and say that this is a fantastic AAR... I think I'll have to try out the Italian Fed myself! Will be watching... :)

Wow! I'm gone for a few days, and I'm showcased and full of new fans :D

Sorry for the dry spell, there -- my weekend was packed (our band/youth ministry played at Six Flags in NJ, so that took a lot of time and prep) and the end of my week turned out to be busier than expected.

But anyways, the AAR's not dead! I'll put up an update tomorrow with a few months' worth of war and stuff, and this week things should get back into gear.

Thanks to everyone who's following!!

So a month-by-month approach through the fall months would have been a little overly tedious, as there was so much gridlock on the main front that it wouldn't have been all that interesting. So this update will cover roughly September, October, and November. Unfortunately, I forgot to save the file that I was using to write down dates and events, so this update is going to be a bit more abstracted than most, since I'm trying to remember what happened a week ago with no notes XD

============

World War III - Fall 1947

The African Fronts

The fall months of 1947 saw the "evening-out" of the battle lines in Africa. Over the course of September through November, Portugal was overwhelmed by its two-front war against South Africa of the Entente and Mittelafrika of Mitteleuropa, losing all of its land and creating a single broad front between Mittelafrika and South Africa.

131-SouthAfricaDecember.jpg

With Portugal's defeat in Africa, Mittelafrika and South Africa come to blows with one another, while the two Bourbon Dominions attack from the north

In the north, the combined invasions of the Episcopal Confederation and the Algerian Dominion succeeded in overrunning Libya, leading to the country's division between the two powers. With the Bourbon Empire overtaking Germany's African territories, the fall effectively ended the war in Northern Africa with a dramatic victory for the ALCN.

132-SouthAfricaDecember.jpg

With the forces of Mitteleuropa expelled from northern Africa, the ALCN gains a minor victory

Ottoman Front

While the attacking armies of the Papal States and the Episcopal Confederation, backed by legions of crusaders, had been stopped in their tracks in earlier months, the Ottoman armies actually began a counterattack in the fall. While the ALCN's forces were stuck defending Suez, Ottoman troops made a cross-river assault into As Suwayz, gaining a beachhead on the African continent, as Confederate and Algerian troops were unable to repel them back across the water. To the north, the Holy Roman Empire's advance slowed, but the Imperial army retained the advantage in Turkey as the fighting dragged on.

130-OttomanDecember.jpg

The Holy Roman Imperial Army controls the battle in Turkey, while Ottoman troops launch a counterattack against combined ALCN forces

Eastern European Front

Continuing to prove its overwhelming military dominance, the Holy Roman Empire overran and annexed White Ruthenia in the fall of 1947, expanding the Austrian-German front even further with direct access to Germany's Baltic territories. Lithuania held on for dear life against Imperial aggression, while the Ukraine made a powerful stand and forced the Imperial invasion of their country to a complete standstill by December.

129-EasternEuropeDecember.jpg

Imperial forces occupy White Ruthenia in the fall of 1947, as Lithuania, Poland, and Ukraine fight to defend their remaining lands

German Front

Viewed from an overhead map, the German-ALCN front seemed to begin to "rotate" through the fall. The Holy Roman Empire, supported by the Vatican's armored and mechanized divisions, continued to make slow but reliable progress northward, successfully occupying Berlin in November. At the same time the ALCN was gaining ground northward, the German army began to gain ground southward, breaking into the Bourbon Empire's domain and penetrating as far southward as Toulouse, threatening to force Vatican troops to pull back from their offensive in France to guard the borders of the Papal States.

By December, Germany had made a powerful counterattack in its homeland, encircling ALCN troops in Berlin and forcing the majority of the army back southward.

128-EuropeDecember.jpg

German forces press deep into Bourbon France, while pushing ALCN armies in the north further back

======

So on the whole, I'm worried about the German front. Progress is slow and hard-earned in Germany, and the Bourbon army is just rolling over in France. On the IC front, Germany has dropped to 290, while the HRE is at a healthy 364... So we've got Germany beat int erms of production, but their army is just running wild.

I don't really like this encirclement thing in Berlin, I hope it won't end like OTL battle of Stalingrad...How many divisions are trapped there?

I think your best hope is that the German counterattack falters and the HRE takes Berlin and all that is east of it very shortly. Then use the winter to dig in and get as many new troops to the front as possible while the Germans suffer high dissent and low IC, ready for a killer blow in 1948. Also, finishing off the Ottomans as soon as possible would obviously free up a lot of troops - but looks harder than expected. Good luck, and great update!

Good to see a proper world war going on, I'm slightly surprised how much of a struggle this is for you. Looks like things are settling into a general stalemate for now but with your superior IC and divisions freed up from finishing off secondary fronts such as Eastern Europe you should be able to triumph.

The Entente might actually be more of a threat then German, seeing as the majority of their strength is overseas and therefore you must control the Atlantic. Also, does anyone else find it funny that at some point he will be invading Britain again, as that will be the second invasion of Britain in 10 years or so. So much for the Channel being Britain's walls huh.

The winter will definitely be a much needed break, assuming the Germans actually slow down for the cold season. Most of my infantry units are one level outdated -- I need something like 330 IC for upgrades, and I've only got about 30 assigned, with reinforcements taking up a nice chunk constantly.

The HRE stands to lose quite a few mechanized divisions in Berlin, but the only Vatican unit that didn't escape is my 5th Armored Corps, so I'll lose 2 out of my 10 tank divisions in the encirclement.

The HRE stands to lose quite a few mechanized divisions in Berlin, but the only Vatican unit that didn't escape is my 5th Armored Corps, so I'll lose 2 out of my 10 tank divisions in the encirclement.

Ouch...a great loss but you'll survive and avenge them!

By the winter of 1947 King Elias I, sovereign of the Bourbon Empire, was deeply troubled. While the Vatican and the Holy Roman Empire had successfully launched invasions into German land and gained ground against the army of the Reich, Bourbon troops had begun to steadily lose ground to German aggression. It had become all to clear to Elias that Xavier had dramatically overestimated the power of the Boubon army when he had boasted of its strength.

Very few troop movements too place throughout the cold winter, as low tempeatures and frozen conditions made offensive operations exceedingly difficult. Rather than focus on attacking, the Holy Army turned its attention to fielding more units, bringing several new mechnized and infantry divisions to the front during the cold season.

When spring finally came, however, Julius and Otto began a major offensive surge in Europe. In early March, the Holy Roman Empire annexed the Ukraine, and by April had also annexed Lithuania. With the fronts narrowing, Imperial troops were able to focus mre and more exclusively on the wars with Germany and the Ottoman Empire.

As the Vatican's sizeable force of tanks and mechanized divisions moved northward into Oppeln, Imperial divisions to both sides of the Vatican armored column continued their advance, battling their way towards Poland and the northern German coast. On the French front, as German troops penetrated deeper into Bourbon territory, Vatican infantry units were able to strike out to the northwest, capturing territory left lightly guarded by the German army.

As April turned into May, the bitter stalemate in Germany had begun to shift dramatically in the ALCN's favor, particularly as northern Germany came perilously close to being overrun by the seemingly unstoppable armies of the Holy Roman Empire.

135-EastEuropeMay48.jpg

The western end of the German front, where Imperial and Vatican troops press aggressively northward

136-WestEuropeMay48.jpg

The eastern German front, with Vatican units attacking the rear of the German invasion into the Bourbon Empire

====

Big turnaround for this update! Things were really stalled with Germany, but with Ukraine and Lithuania out of the way, the HRE is pressing even hader on the Germans... With a few more months, I've got a good feeling that Berlin will be ours for good :)

Another short update, but busy-ness sucks :p