• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So there is hope is there against the massed might of the Crescent?

Flame of the West was something of an allusion to LOTR, but I'm not saying whether the Muslims succeed or the Christians. After all it could be the dying flame of the west, or it could be the triumphant victory against tremendous numbers of Seljuk troops. What happens next was so ridiculous it makes me wonder if programmers put in some goofy stuff on purpose that only takes affect once in a while. Either that or its a weird bug, but you'll just have to wait till tomorrow to find out.

anthonyp said:
Flame of the West was something of an allusion to LOTR, but I'm not saying whether the Muslims succeed or the Christians. After all it could be the dying flame of the west, or it could be the triumphant victory against tremendous numbers of Seljuk troops. What happens next was so ridiculous it makes me wonder if programmers put in some goofy stuff on purpose that only takes affect once in a while. Either that or its a weird bug, but you'll just have to wait till tomorrow to find out.
I did wonder if you were channelling Anduril. Which makes it even more ambiguous, of course, as an allusion. Victory perhaps, but at what cost?

It certainly is a crazy world, especially with that weird Halfdan... :wacko:

Miracle is what you and Scotland need. I hope that you get peace before Muslims land to Scotland.

Worried about so many enemies? Don't.

As it was foretold, thou shalt conquer them all. So beginneth my vision.

He's doomed....

:D

Last time on Isles of Glory

Half the Muslim world declares war on the Western Isles and Scotland, in response to a crusade against Antiocheia. Panic spreads throughout the Isles as priests preach of the End Times. Finally, a mysterious miracle arrives by letter, by lots of letters

Wealth Beyond Imagining

Ingrid, wife of Duke Ottar and Chancellor of the Isles, opened up the first letter, which was sealed with the insigia of the Abbassids. The Abbassids were willing to pay Ottar 6000 ducats in order to have peace. Ingrid dropped the letter and almost feinted, but she picked up the next, and the next. There were four letters that day, and they all were from Muslim powers who wanted to give the Western Isles money. Ingrid ran to the court and consulted with all who remained there despite the war. They all agreed Ottar would be more than willing to take peace for such vast sums. So they started writing responses to accept the money, and demanded that the ducats be handed over safely, with no trickery.

The next day, more letters came in. And early the next week, more came in. After another week gone, the last of the letters arrived and many responses were sent by sea to the various Muslim powers. Ingrid sorted through the letters and matched them to declarations of war that had been received earlier. Every power that had declared war on the Western Isles, excepting the Seljuks themselves, were offering anywhere from 6000 (the Abassids) to 13 ducats. The Isles were deeply in debt, these payments would help pay the debt and also leave huge coffers to be spent however the duke desired.

Ingrid wrote another letter and tried to get it sent to her husband. In it she specified what had happened. Ottar was at sea, headed to Italy at the time, but miscommunication and misunderstanding kept the letter carrier from finding him.

News from King Malcolm wasn't so good. All of the peace offers had been sent, specifically, to the Duke's court and not to Malcolm. Scotland was still at war with the Abbassids and all the others. In late 1167, salt was poured on the wound when the Fatimid empire also declared war on Scotland.

But as for the Western Isles, the Seljuks offered white peace, which was happily accepted. Ottar, having been defeated in Italy by Reggio and fearing the threat he believed still existed, headed west for home. As soon as Ingrid heard of her husband's due return, she planned a magnificent feast. It was ready as the Duke landed. He stormed into the court, and found no one there. Returning to the castle, he discovered the feast underway. He went to find Ingrid and asked her, pointedly, why a feast was being held during such desperate times. So she told him. After that, he celebrated with the rest of the court, knowing that his prayers had been answered after all.

It took the Duke a while to get used to all the wealth, and all the possibilities of it. Representatives of Catalan Mercenaries were at court, and he listened as they spoke of their skills. Later, he planned a third assault on Italy, getting revenge against Reggio. This time, mercenaries would supplement his regiments. So a month after he landed, he set sail again. This time with an additional force of 1000 Catalan Mercenaries.

Young Pål's county of Benevento waited patiently, as they tried to defend the county against their neighbor Reggio. Luckily, no attack came, and in late 1168, Ottar landed at Reggio. This time the Catalan and Sudøreyjar forces overran the defenders and quickly sieged the county. In February of '69, Reggio was conquered and attentions turned to Taranto. But Elgar Dunkeld, a vassal of Malcolm's, was already sieging the county. Ottar helped Elgar conquer it and then granted Reggio to Pål.

Ottar had left a standing order to hire mercenaries as long as the coffers didn't get too low. And so soon after the conquest of Taranto, Ingrid hired the Jutland raiders. Mercenaries throughout Europe were quickly learning that the Isles were an ideal location for getting plenty of work. Perhaps not as focused as he should have been, Ottar decided to end the Italian campaign and return once more to the Isles to plan for a bigger campaign closer to home. The money was going to his head.

:rofl: AI can sometimes be stupid when they desperately wants to get peace. But for you this was best possible outcome.

Amazing... not even in my craziest visions I foresaw this... :D

It's like an answer to your prayers..with this money and the mercenaries you can finance the conquest of a good bit of Ireland before Malcolm succumbs to the Fatimid hordes. Lucky you, and good thing too, the Isles deserved it.

Truly miraculous indeed.

UNLIMITED POWER! FEEL THE CORRUPTION OF THIS ROOT OF EVIL, OTTAR! LET IT FLOW THROUGH YOUR VEINS!

This really might be the one of the biggest gains in money for a realm relative to prosperity that have been AARed about.

Unfortunately, I think the money got to my head too. I made some gameplay mistakes in the next couple updates that cost me a bit. One of them you've already seen. I went to Italy and then back to WI. I should have just started in on Ireland immediately rather than having to disband my forces once in Antiocheia and then send back my mercs and regiments from Italy. In the next few updates, I failed to look at some pertinent facts and then panicked a bit too much about Scotland's situation before pulling myself together. No reason to worry about trouble with your liege, at least not if you can gain more by not worrying.

The funny thing is I had just received all the war declarations and I sat there in awe knowing my game was almost doomed and I'd never seen so many declarations fill up the screen, for about 3 minutes. Then all those peace declarations came to me. The only thing I did the whole time was take one county from the Seljuks (Antiocheia), and that was before all the other declarations of war.

The Defense of Scotland, Part 1

In September of 1169, with mercenaries raised and regiments ready, Ottar Crovan declared war on Ulster, which held Dublin and Tir Eoghain, both titles Ottar had a claim to. Unknown to Ottar at the time, the Duke of Ulster also held lands in continental Europe, which would make matters more difficult. Scotland joined in the war, despite the crisis confronting the King. In December, while Ottar was landing in Ireland, Malcolm lost the county of Carrick to the Fatimids. Southern Scotland's defenses were crumbling.

Ottar sieged Tir Eoghain, and captured it in February of 1170, then headed to south to Dublin.

Ulster's army was busy fighting Munster, only a small force faced Ottar in Dublin. He defeated them and conquered Dublin in April. Believing the war to be over, Ottar demanded Dublin and Tir Eoghain for peace with Ulster. The Duke of Ulster refused. Ottar asked for Dublin alone, and he was denied again. With both counties in his control, but no way to make them part of the Isles, Ottar looked to maps to determine what other lands Ulster held.

Ulster now focussed on retaking their counties, and defeated Ottar in Dublin, and then took the county. Ottar rallied with help from more mercenaries, defeating armies in Dublin and retaking the province.

Ottar's advisors determined that Ulster held the county of Szekezfehervar, in Central Europe. The distant province was not too far from Benevento, so Ottar set sail for his son's county first, leaving some mercenaries in Ireland to try to hold off Ulster.

Pressed by the Muslim invaders, Scotland took peace with Ulster in late 1172. With a small army, Ottar tried to conquer Szek, but it took time as other regiments had not yet arrived from Benevento. Scouts indicated Ulster had no armies in Ireland, so Dublin and Eoghain stayed under Western Isles' control. Victory was almost at hand, and the lucrative province of Dublin was up for grabs.

But fate intervened, this time the wheel had turned against the Western Isles. The Fatimid Empire had control over several counties in Central Europe, and their armies roamed even there. So when the Fatimid Empire and Medina declared war on the Western Isles in summer of 1173, the Muslim empire routed Ottar's forces at Szek.

Now Scotland and her vassals were all in great trouble. Atholl, Angus, Mar, Strathcylde, Berwick, Lothian and Galloway were all in Muslim hands as the Fatimids and the Seljuks overwhelmed Scottish defenses. As for the Isles, Ottar fled, heading home in hopes of funding an counterattack with Mercenaries. He would do just that, but against the Fatimids instead of Ulster this time. Mercenaries raised in the Isles landed at Carrick, then headed towards Berwick, where they were joined by the Regiments of the Isles. Pared down by the long war, the regiments in total formed less than 100 soldiers.

The Fatimids wasted no time in attacking Ottar, as in March of 1174 they conquered the Home Isles. Only another desperate solution could save Scotland and her vassals from annihilation.

A real miracle is what is needed now. The future is quite dark...

It appears then that you only had a reprieve.

Now is the time to have a steady heart and a strong sword-arm.

Peace with the Fatimids at any cost. I hate how the CK AI can be so ridiculous.

The Defense of Scotland, Part 2

Scotland's ongoing troubles against the Muslim powers were causing internal dissent as plotters planned attacks on Scotland and Scotland continued to revoke titles from its vassals as the realm shrank. Ottar had a chance to join in rebellion, but he refused, hoping that Scotland would hold its positions before they were driven to the sea. The other possibility he considered was wearing out the invaders by attrition and disease and seeking peace with them. Central Scotland was coming under increasing attack, and other enemy regiments were sailing on the Isle of Man.

In the south, Ottar's recently arrived men helped Scotland conquer Berwick, but a force of mercenaries was lost to the Fatimids at Lothian. The remaining forces headed to Angus and conquered the county, this time without Scottish support. Soon after, invading forces conquered the Isle of Man and the Fatimids and Seljuks were a dominating presence throughout all but the northern tip of Scotland.

The fall of Man led Ottar to reassess the situation. Whatever was happening in Scotland, he needed to retake the capital and if possible the Isle of Man. Even peace without those islands would be a devastating blow. So Sudøreyjar's forces set out for their conquered homeland.

The sheikdoms of Lecce and Consenza attacked Ottar's vassal Benevento, which was ruled by his son. In great danger himself, Ottar could spare no help for the Italian county. Meanwhile, Scotland's last regiments were foolishly engaged in the siege of the now-Muslim province of Laigin, in southeastern Ireland. With no resistance, the Fatimids conquered Ross. The Scots were at last pressed against the sea, with only Sutherland to their name and no army to save them.

Meanwhile Ottar had gone island hopping. After retaking the Western Isles, he headed south to take Man once more. The Fatimids pressed onward, sieging Sutherland and conquering it in June of 1176. Malcolm, King of Scotland, had an army but no lands to his name and no way to pay his troops. Scotland, as a Christian nation with its own heritage, was no more. In its place, the Fatimids would soon split up the land amongst a great number of Emirs.

Ottar was in a precarious situation. Now the attentions of the mighty Muslim empire were turned towards him. His strongest force could be smashed by a single Fatimid regiment, and he had only a few counties to his name. Though their ways were foreign to him and their speech peculiar, Ottar noted only one power in the vicinity who could defeat the Fatimids. Only the mighty King of England had the manpower to face off against them. It would take luck and diplomacy to pull it off, but Ottar decided to pledge vassalage to the King, in hopes that England would be persuaded to intervene and defeat the Fatimids. The enemy would be half its strength, as the Seljuks had not warred with Ottar, only with Malcolm.

So with a desperate urgency, Ottar rushed by sea to Essex, appealing to the King for an audience. So granted, Ottar vowed allegiance and informed King Simon Normandie of the fall of Scotland and the impending peril of his duchy. Simon accepted his vassalization and agreed to think on the matter of the Fatimid hordes. As Ottar was about to set once more to sea with his forces, word arrived from the King. England would declare war on the Fatimid Empire.

Soon reports arrived at court of several dozen regiments mustering and mighty armies sailing across the English channel from France. The Fatimids would get a bigger fight than they had bargained for.

Last edited:
The English never do anything like this for free. On the upside, eventually those muslim sheikdoms will virtually all revolt away from the Fatimids and will make for easy pickings, if you survive of course..