• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This aar is taking over my hard drive. I've had to compress some screenshots until they are needed, and converted all the bmp's I've taken so far into jpgs to save space. But I save a lot more than I should looking at my hard drive space left and the size of the savegame folder now: a whopping 17 gigs from Crovan saves only. My saves are getting up to about 50 megs each, and I've resorted to the measure of deleting saves that I've already wrote about in the aar. I may need to get an external drive or I'm going to have to save a lot less. (I've got like a 70 gig drive from 2003, but only 11 gig left, and thats after culling a lot of programs I don't use anymore.)

JimboIX: Scotland would be the right guess, but it doesn't happen for a while and not the way you'd expect it too. You'll just have to look maybe two to four updates ahead to see.

There's really no reason why you should be having so many saves! 17 gigs at 50Mb a save is 340 saves, which is enough to cover nearly the whole gamespan if you save every year! Really what reason do you have to save these saves? Delete them! I myself delete saves and original bmps before the point of my AAR. Also you might just have a single savefile, say 'Crovan', that you save over every time you save, with saving dates maybe only when something really important happens.

Yeah I save way to often because I fear crashes. And also I go back into old saves when posting to take screenshots I missed the first time around. Luckily I haven't crashed yet, so maybe I should slow down on my saves, I have 3-4 per year and sometimes more.

anthonyp said:
Yeah I save way to often because I fear crashes. And also I go back into old saves when posting to take screenshots I missed the first time around. Luckily I haven't crashed yet, so maybe I should slow down on my saves, I have 3-4 per year and sometimes more.

You clearly save way too often. I use the autosave, which saves once a year and incase game happens to crash it's not too long period to replay. Normal saves I use only when I quit playing or something really important happens, like my ruler dies etc.

Gwynedd may just have made a terrible mistake that will haunt them in future years.

The Dukes of Leinster and Iceland

In 1145, trustful that brother Ragnvald would be a good custodian of the land, Eirik gave him the county of Osraige. Less than six months later, Ragnvald rebelled and declared his loyalty to the King of Scotland. The King, being generous to Ragnvald for bringing Osraige into his realm, granted the title of Duke of Leinster to the brother. Now there were two Crovan dukes, and Ragnvald, who was always jealous of his brother's power, enjoyed it.

After the brutal war with Munster and Gwynedd, Eirik II knew he needed to get out of debt quickly and start working towards the Isles' future. So he borrowed a large sum of ducats from a moneylender. Many years ago, Eirik I received an ultimatum from the Pope to adopt Papal Supremacy. He did but years later Aslak adopted Ducal Supremacy, snubbing the Papacy in response for its demands. So when Eirik II borrowed money, the new Pope Rudolph of Firenze was watching. Rudolph excommunicated Eirik II for his usury.

The new duke Ragnvald had only one problem now: he had no son, and with Eirik excommunicated, his heir was now Eirik's only son Ottar. Ragnvald was married before he moved to Osraige and his wife had never followed him there. She kept her job as Chancellor of the Western Isles. And so Ragnvald had no children and no possibility of children unless he could remarry, but the church didn't approve.

Pope Rodolph was ready to begin a new crusade. Byzantium had fallen to the Seljuks, and Rudolph asked the Catholic world to retake the capital. Neither France, Germany nor England, perhaps the only kingdoms powerful enough to take on the Seljuks, joined in the crusade. Norway and a variety of duchies did declare war, and coastal observers in the Isles spotted Seljuk ships sailing around the Minch for Norway later.

Eirik's excommunication created many new troubles as a number of courtiers fled to more pious places. Austisland and the Isle of Man each saw several revolts that had to be dealt with. Eirik sailed with an army to Iceland and later Man and dealt with them both. If revolts weren't enough, typhoid broke out in Austisland, causing more troubles.

Unconcern now with further consequences, Eirik borrowed more money in 1153 to pay the army. And good news came to him in Summer of 1154, Ragnvald had died, ending the independent duchy, sort of. Eirik's son Ottar, who was 12 at the time, inherited the Duchy of Leinster and became a vassal of Scotland. Eirik became ill and bed riden in Winter of 1155, and feared for his life, but he had one thing to do first.

After the conquest of Iceland, Eirik's great-grandfather Gudrød didn't have the money to create the title of Duke of Iceland. And the duchy had remained in debt or at war ever since, until now. Eirik II spent 100 ducats to prove that he was truly the duke of Iceland as well as the Western Isles. If and when Ottar inherited the Western Isles, he would be a duke of Leinster, Western Isles and Iceland.

Last edited:
Troubles with the church. I wonder why everyone and their cousin haven't claimed your titles and declared war yet. That's what happens usually to me when I'm excommunicated and rule a small realm.

Ahhh... so when Eirik II dies, Ottar will inherit, but as he is a vassal of the king of Scotland the Western Isles will then become a vassal of Scotland.. definitely not the usually expected route!

I've been never excomunicated -although once I almost got it...-. I wonder how it's going to end this...

You need to pledge so they don't stell all of your titles. I've been excommunicated many times, and if I'm not strong enough to whip everyone into submission it almost always ends badly, with me losing provinces and just praying that my ruler dies soon, blowing all my money on vassal bribes, and other such nonsense.

Eirik II is ill, but you'll just have to see what happens next.

Dairpo: I wondered what would happen when Ottar inherited the Isles. Kinda funny that you can become a vassal again against your will. And I have no idea how Ragnvald ever became duke of Leinster. They didn't get into a war or anything, and I just happened to be looking at Ragnvald seeing if he had any heirs and I noticed his vassalage and that he was a duke. Luckily his wife somehow stayed in my court and he had no kids (I don't know if the game engine cared that his wife was in a different court or not.)

When Ottar inherits your primary title will be the Duke of Leinster! :eek:

An Italian Campaign

Eirik had his eyes on Italy. Though very distant from the Western Isles, the Pope was there. If he could build up a local power base in southern Italy by conquering the Muslim states there, than maybe he could force the Pope to end his excommunication on pain of death. It was a nutty theory, but fitting for the rough times ever since the Pope had sent that fateful letter.

Courtiers fled the Isles in large numbers leaving Eirik with few that could command an army or an economy. Austisland and the Isle of Man were hotbeds of unrest, as peasants fought against the Duke they compared to the devil. The power of the Pope was incredible.

Marshall Dugald, the last able general in his court, died suppressing a revolt in Austisland. Armies were tied up throughout Eirik's isles, preventing his Italian campaign until June of 1158. Can an excommunicated man receive miracles from God? That was the question of Eirik's court as his long endured illnesses were cured as he sailed for Italy. That same Summer, Ottar, having grown up away from his father as a duke, married Ingrid of Shetland. Dysentery at last left Iceland behind, much to the relief of all.

Eirik's long sea voyage ended in Rome, as the excommunicated man's army passed through the Papal States. Neither Eirik nor the Pope made any move, but surely both were tempted. Heading south, they approached Benevento, an independent Muslim emir that was troubled by Dysentery itself. Eirik's 800 strong army crushed the 200 defenders.

During the assault, Eirik's plans for revenge were laid to rest as he was savagely wounded by a spear. Holding onto his life, Eirik watched his men siege Benevento and conquer it. With their Duke wounded and unable to decide where to strike next, the army returned with him to the Western Isles. On the trip back, Eirik died and Ottar, Duke of Leinster inherited. The Western Isles were now part of Scotland.

Ottar vowed not to anger the Pope the way his father had. And the duchy which had no vassals would establish them again. No one could manage lands from Iceland to Italy all by himself. Ottar had lived as a child ruler, surrounded by advisors who told him all about his lands. It was an obsession of his to give first son Pål the same upbringing. So Ottar sent 3 year old Pål and a group of advisors off to Benevento to rule the county. He also granted Austisland to Magnus Crovan, so that someone else would have to deal with the frequently rebellious and often plagued land.

With the Byzantium Empire reformed by crusaders, the previous crusade had ended. Now, on August 21st of 1162, the Pope declared a new crusade to conquer Antiocheia.

End Part 3: Growing Pains

Last edited:
Well, at least you got ride of excommunications. And got a landing place in Italy.

A successful crusade again, good thing Erik died right on time..though I'd rather you have taken Salerno than Benevento, its poverty suits you, in its defense. The Pope is definitely crusade happy.

I guess I was wrong about the Primary change. Things are looking up for the Western Isles!

Do we have an incident brewing?

anthonyp said:
At that time a visiting knight, whose name is unknown to us today, offered to train daughter Jorunn in military matters. She was 11 then and spent quite a bit of time with the knight for several weeks. When the knight showed up at the court seeking payment in return for his training, Gudrød was agape, unsure whether he was wooing Jorunn or honestly seeking to turn her into a knight. The Knight insisted he sought the second option, and the Duke sent him away flummoxed by the offer. Jorunn, for her part, clearly believed the knight had more than military interests in mind and she answered her father's questioning that way.

HELLOOO! Does anybody here realize that a knight spurned after energy burned leads to affections churned. (Can anyone say "STALKER"?)

Last edited:
Good that excommunication didn't cause you more troubles. Now with the help of your new Scottish liege, you should be able to conquer rest of Ireland.

Islamic Fury

Part 4: Flame of the West

With moneylenders established in the Western Isles, it was inevitable that they would try to lend to a new Duke who was cash strapped like his forefathers. Ottar knew the consequences of usury, from his father's bad example. He refused to speak with the moneylenders and sent them away. But they remained at the court, tempting many others.

Ottar resisted other temptations as well, despite the many attractive ladies of his court and fiefs. Ingrid and Ottar had their first daughter, Brigida in late 1162. And in 1163, France went to war with Germany, before calling it off just a few months later.

And the slightly weird Halfdan became chaplain of the Western Isles.

On February 4th, 1164, Scotland joined the Crusade, declaring war on the Seljuks. Soon after Ottar's forces were called up for the service of Scotland. Ottar dealt with this as Gudrød had before him: he fumed and fussed but relented in the end. Ottar had seen the danger of independence under his father's reign. So when King Malcolm of Scotland asked Ottar to join the crusade personally, Ottar reluctantly agreed. The Western Isles were at war with the Seljuk Empire. As Malcolm had promised, peasants flocked to the Crusade banner, and Ottar set to sea to do what he could.

Ottar's plan was to head to Antiocheia and help where needed, although he knew his forces were minimal, since even his own regiments were formed up with Scotland's armies, leaving only a 600 strong peasant army to his command. At sea there were many crusaders headed to Antiocheia. Scottish forces were a majority of these, but others were at sea as well, including Hungary. When Ottar landed in the east, he began the siege of Antiocheia unimpeded. Other armies aided in this and the county fell to Christendom on July 5th, 1166.

Several major powers had risen up to strike down the Muslim empires, and Ottar felt that now more than ever there was a chance to defeat the infidels. But the enemy's strength was greater than he had imagined. Unlike the Christians, who were in many places splintered into independent duchies and only a few Kingdoms, the vast majority of the Muslim powers were part of the Seljuk or the Fatimid empires and they followed those banners without question. Thus the Muslims could easily raise a force that would require the armies of many independent Christian states to defeat. And rarely were many interested in fighting against such massive armies.

In late 1166, the Seljuk Empire proclaimed their might, calling for Jihad against Scotland and all its vassals involved in the war. This included the Western Isles. The Jihad took effect slowly but surely. First Sistan, Mazandran, Al Jazira and Mosul declared war. Then the emir of Abydos. Finally, Esfahan, Luristan, Foggin, Abassid, Karbala, Khwarassin, Gurgan, Basia, Kalsereia, Kirkuk, Cherson, Galatia, a newly reconquered Muslim Byzantion, Csfahan, Luristan, and Kakheti declared war on Scotland and the Western Isles.

A map of the Middle East, with more declarations of war still coming.

At the court in Sudðreyjar, courtiers reacted with panic as priests went around proclaiming the end times. At least half the Muslim world was now at war with the Isles. While his court panicked, Ottar prayed desperately as he sailed for Reggio, hoping to conquer another weak Muslim power in Italy before his armies were overrun. He knew the might of Islam after reading of Gudrød's desperate campaign many years ago.

Other than the Seljuks, the greatest threat was the Abassids. Their entry would raise the number of troops fighting against Ottar by a decent margin. Many of the other enemies were small Emirs that joined the war more for the honor than anything else. Ingrid was busy back home, dealing with the diplomatic response to the Jihad. Her presence and quick action would give her a place in history forever. First the many letters of war arrived, then there was a long silence during early Winter of 1167.

Ottar continued praying, and he received a mighty miracle, although he would not know of it until much later. Ingrid and the whole court at Sudøreyjar were flummoxed by this latest development. It seemed as if the whole world had flipped upside down or sideways or somehow cracked. There wasn't much sanity at that court in late March. Speechless, they never sent a letter to Ottar telling him the news. And he wouldn't find out until he arrived back in the Isles.

[size=+1]To Be Continued[/size]

A to be continued cliffhanger! I see the debt is back in force..you showed incredible self-control resisting the money lender event..way to roleplay. Hopefully this crusade ends with the Crovans winning.