• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jes but Russian is Slavic, while German and English are both from Germanic sub group of Indo-European languages. And Finnish is strange because it's an ugro-finnic language, it doesn't even belong to Indo-European language group.

Ah so Russia is flexing its muscles again, eh! A Russi-German Alliance in the making? Or a Russian only alliance? The future will tell!
I do hope of an Imperial Russia invading Bolshevik America! That would be quite delightfull! :rofl: :rofl:

Edit: About the land doctrines! There are dissent points, when you chose a more American/German Approach (+5; +10 respectivly) and "dedissent" points when you chose the Great War/Soviet Path (-5, -10)!

Zhukov, Zhukov, Zhukov.

Now the Imperial Armies will be undefeatable. Russia should return to a state of imperial power and glory, remeber to let Zhukov stop only after All of Eastern Europe and former Russian territories are taken, plus some.

but with human wave doctrines on the way.. shouldnt russia be building some 300-500 infantry divisions?

Theres not just the balkan communist bastards, but also the ottomans and then arabia with those holy cities..

And then china too, perhaps assisting the japanese a tiny bit. Before overruning the japanese too :D
And in due time (maybe) release a orthodox christian china to keep asian communism under check? ;)

4th Dimension: The fact that the Tsar favors a modern army and that Russian manpower demands as much firepower pr manpower 'point' spent might also lend weight to his arguments ;) But only the future may tell what will happen.. :)

trekaddict: Wouldn't that be a novelty indeed? A competent man in the Foreigh Ministry? I think there must be a law against that somewhere.. ;)

Kurt_Steiner: Oh yes.. It will take time and great effort but the Tsar and the empire is determined to see the threat of bolshevism, no matter its name, extinguished forever.. Honestly, when I consider the history of Russia, as it is depicted in this AAR, I can't see how I could go any other way.. ;)

Enewald: Not quite true, but almost.. Russia is seen with keen displeasure by those who borders her soil.. Maybe someone within the Council of Foreign Affairs might be able to change that in the future,, :rolleyes:

carmen510: Thank you.. :) For the time being, Poland is not in the sights of Russia, as Poland is part of the Empire of Austria-Hungary.. And Ukraine has already fallen to the.. erhm.. might.. of the Russian Army.. It's in the introduction.. ;) However, there are many other nations across Europe and the world, which will fall into conlfict with Holy Mother Russia, as this story progresses. Rest assured of that.. ;)

4th Dimension, Enewald & trekaddict: Depending on your native tongue, it differs which language is the hardest.. My own is considered by many to be nigh impossible to master.. The Danish language has some letters and 'sounds', which is almost impossible for people to get right, if their native tongue is more smooth and fluent, than the rather hard notes of mine.. :) Others, from languages with similar notes find Danish rather easy to learn, so it all depends really... :)

Zauberfloete: An alliance with those who forced Russia to accept the Brest-Litovsk Pact! :eek: Well, maybe.. Although as of yet, I do not have any plans on that account.. ;) As for the invasion of America, that is indeed one of the long term goals, I will strive to achieve.. And thank you for the reminder about the dissent.. I had all but forgotten.. :)

TheEnlighted1: Zhukov indeed.. Who else to mastermind the future of the Imperial Army? ;) But remember, the empire is a pace-loving nation and her only wishes is to prosper in peace and tranquility. And to absolutely crush any and all bolshevik tendancies of course.. :D

ikks88: At the time being, Russia is not following the Human Wave doctrines.. As a matter of fact, with the changes I've made to the scenario, Russia does not possess unlimited manpower anymore.. However her Industry is massive.. All is part of the introduction and the initial chapters.. :)
Therefore, the future will see a heightened focus on getting as much power, for as little manpower as possible.. A mixing of the old traditions of Russian military with new inventions and initiatives.. I'll try my best to depict exactly what I mean in the story.. :)

As for the syndicalists, we will keep them under close watch and prepare for the day that we may truly eliminate them.. Until then, we will wait and prepare.. and nibble away at those syndicalist nations we can, without provoking untimely war with the major powers.. As the story progresses, I hope to draw you all into the tale, as I spin it.. :)

As for Japan and the asian theater, syndicalism is rather far from most people's thoughts. The only true syndicalis nation is the People's Republic of Vietnam and I trust the Germans, who are at war with them for the time being, to eliminate that nest of unholy vermin (from a Russian's perspective).. If they do not, well then in time you will see the Imperial Marines do some 'realistic training' in the area.. :D

As for Japan itself, for the time being she is higly doscile, seemingly intent to ignore the world arround her.. That might very well change of course.. And Japan IS an ancient enemy of Russia..

As for other potential conflicts, the next part of this chapter should show some enlightening.. :)

On that note....

Everyone:

I'm terribly sorry for the silence of the last few days.. I've had a busy weeked, but now that it's over and I feel at least partially human once more, I'm once again working on the next update.. I will start writing this evening and with a little luck it should be ready for posting tomorrow or at the very latest, the day after that.. Thank you for your patience and you dilligent posting.. Seeing súch a group of readers would warm the heart of any writer, as it does mine.. :) I only hope that I will be able to properly repay your continued interest in my story.. :)

The Winter Palace, Skt. Petersburg, November 7th, 1938

winterpalace2.jpg

After two hours, the High Council made their return to the main council rooms. Some had been there all along, mostly the old councilors, who did not need time with their staffs before continuing the meeting, but notably also the new Chief Commander of the Imperial Army, Zhukov, who had spent his time in low voiced conference with Count Wrangel. The remaining new councilors had used separate rooms to get briefings by their new staff officers, before returning.

As they all found their places around the great table, Vladimir spoke up.
“Welcome back gentlemen.” He said, “What will be debated now, will come to dictate Imperial Policy for the near and far future. We must prepare ourselves in as many ways as possible or else the empire will be caught unawares, when danger comes to claim her. But first, I have one last announcement to make.” Vladimir motioned towards the archbishop Sergius, who had taken a chair at the council table, although no official position had been named for him. “Dangers to the empire come not only from beyond her borders and not only in ways, which may be found and detected by spies and policemen. In truth, most of the real dangers lie plain for all to see, if they but open their eyes and pay attention. As His Excellency pointed out earlier, many of the rural districts of the empire are troubled by poverty and its people unable to finance the modernization, which is so sorely needed for our future to be a bright one. This problem is not a hidden one, nor is it unknown in most places, yet few things if any, has been done to correct what may be our Achilles Heel one day. And this problem stands not alone. Therefore, I have decided to create a new position within the High Council and His Excellency has graciously agreed to take up the mantle as the new Councilor for Domestic Affairs. His duties will be many and upon his shoulders lie a heavy weight, for his is the responsibility to focus on all such problems and bring them to our attention at the earliest opportunity, that we may correct them, as best we can. For truly, this is the only way to secure the foundation upon which the empire shall rise to glory.” Vladimir paused and turned to Sergius. “I and with me the empire of Holy Russia is grateful towards you Your Excellency.” He said and nodded his head in respect, to which the archbishop bowed his own in return. “To respond to the first problem brought to our attention, I have decided to create a trust, with which to pay for all necessary machinery and equipment needed by the people and which they themselves are unable to pay. Diligence and care must be used to oversee this trust that it is not taken advantage off by corrupt persons and that the people are not given tools, which they cannot use and which may then only bring them harm. Education will be part of the responsibilities of this trust as well and the responsibility for overseeing it I grant to your office, Your Excellency. A full two percent of all national profits shall be transferred to this trust, that you may have the funds needed to complete this momentous task. If I or this council may aid you further in your grand endeavor, do not hesitate to ask. Upon the people of Russia, the future of the empire is build and without the people, there is no empire at all.” The archbishop beamed at the Tsar, while other councilors reacted in various ways, some nodding in thoughtful agreement, while some had doubts about the ability of the archbishop to carry out his task or the feasibility of the task itself. All kept to silence however, trusting in their Tsar and allowing time to tell, if this venture would be successful.

Vladimir turned his attention back to the other councilors. “Now gentlemen, let us hear first the Councilor for Armaments and Industry and his visions for the future of Russia.” Georgij Brassov, the new councilor nodded his head in response. “Your Majesty.” He began, “As my esteemed predecessor detailed, the economy and production of the empire is strong. Our natural resources seem near limitless and to most this is a sign that nothing may go wrong. I however, disagree.” Brassov paused briefly, as if to gather his courage. “In the future, both energy in its many forms, metals of all kinds and more exotic resources will be in demand equal to or greater than they are today. But above all these, one resource will be the determining factor for success for all nations and that resource is oil. In the major countries, more and more private citizens own cars, factories depend heavier and heavier on large machines, the farmers use machinery to a higher degree and even the way we mow our lawns tend to require machines. Some machines still use steam, but more and more require engines, which run on oil. It is my stern belief that the nations which have rich abundances of oil will be the ones to rule in the world as it will be in the future.” Brassov looked at the Tsar, his eyes deadly serious. “The Arab nations hold vast reserves of oil, which may make them rich beyond imagination in the future. Russia too holds large quantities, although it is the scarcest resource of all we produce. But the one thing truly important is the oilfields in America, which are or will be under the strict control of Syndicalist powers. If we do not act to secure as large a production of oil, as we possibly can, we may very well find ourselves outmaneuvered by our most dangerous enemies and even if we come to hold the upper hand in the short term, in the long we will fall behind and the fate of the empire may be sealed. Therefore I urge you Your Majesty and all the High Council, we must get more oil.”

baku_1_oilfields2.jpg

The Baku Oilfields of Azerbaijan.

Locating a piece of paper, Brassov held it up, to signify its importance. “There are two major ways to increase the production of oil, which is within our immediate ability to grasp.” He continued. “The first is by far the more dangerous one. Azerbaijan, once part of our glorious empire, holds huge oil plants within their borders, plants build and financed by the empire in years past. Securing these would go a long way towards becoming completely independent in terms of oil for any foreseeable future, with the projected rise in the need for oil, which I and my staff predict. The other way, while not fully explored as of yet, depends on the enormous productions of energy, which benefits Russia. Some nations have begun to develop means of transforming various forms of energy into oil, although at a severely offset rate, but it is believed that by investing heavily into research in this area, we may in time reach the point where it will become the major part of our oil productions. I urge you Your Majesty, to grant me the funds needed to begin such a research and I ask of the Councilor for Security, to find ways, if at all possible, to ascertain the methods by which foreign nations transform energy to oil, that we may close the gap in research and possibly even gain the advantage.” Vladimir looked around the table to see if anyone would object and received only thoughtful nods or silence in return. Although he alone held the final word, it was wise to let his councilors voice their opinions and objections, that he might get the full benefit of their collected knowledge and skills. As he turned his attention upon Zhukov, the new Chief Commander, signaled his wish to speak. Vladimir nodded.

“Your Majesty.” Zhukov began, his voice hard. Vladimir had studied the ventures of Zhukov thoroughly and had an idea about what was about to be said. “Once this nation relied on the massed armies of millions of infantry soldiers to overwhelm any and all of our enemies. Once this strategy was enough to ensure our successes, as it was against Napoleon a hundred years past. But as we saw in the Great War, this is no longer a strategy sufficient to achieve victory. In the years to come, the military will come to rely more and more upon speed and superior firepower to ensure victory. But superior firepower, which may be brought to bear on battlefields far from each other, before any enemy has the time to shift his forces. As you yourself said, the empire’s borders are vast and speed is essential to move our forces from one front to another as quickly as possible. Speed requires more than horses and men, as the equipment of war becomes larger and heavier, speed requires wheels and tracks, which require engines to run. And as the Councilor for Armaments and Industry truthfully pointed out, engines need oil. If the army of the empire shall become modern and strong, we need as much oil, as we can possible get.” Vladimir nodded. In his time in Hungary, he had studied some of the new military implementations and he knew, as did Zhukov, that any army of the future could not rely on infantry alone. Before he could say anything else, Pavel Rychagov, the new Chief Commander of the Imperial Air Force, spoke up. “Forgive me Your Majesty.” He said and Vladimir nodded. What good were advisors, if they kept silent. “Planes fly on oil as well.” Stating that simple fact was not entirely necessary, but helped the matter along. “As do ships, Your Majesty although they sail.” Von Wiren, retaining his position as Chief Commander of the Imperial Navy, added, part serious and part in jest. Vladimir nodded again, his decision already set.

“You will get the funds you need, Councilor Brassov.” He said, as he turned his attention back to the Councilor for Armaments and Industry. “Even if I was not already inclined to accept your proposal, the advice of my three Chief Commanders has settled the issue. You may proceed as you find best and all necessary funds shall be granted you. Russia cannot afford to fall behind her greatest enemies in such a vital field.” Vladimir turned his attention to all his councilors then. “As for the other part of the proposal, the returning of the oil fields of Azerbaijan, the Baku Oil Fields I believe them named, then that is a matter entirely different although in no way less important.” Vladimir looked at prince Vladimir Galitzine, the new Councilor for Foreign Affairs. “Azerbaijan is currently allied with the Ottoman Empire, is that not so?” Galitzine nodded. “This is correct Your Majesty.” He responded. “And if I may add, then the recent return of the Don Kuban to the empire and the subsequent movement of our borders which now meet those of Azerbaijan, will add to that alliance as the government of Azerbaijan are thoroughly hostile towards us, yet fear our might. They will do all they can to strengthen relationships with the Sultan and thus retain the only protection they perceive to have against any aggression on our behalf.” Vladimir nodded, thoughtfully. “So any move on our behalf might risk a war with the Ottomans?” He mused, more a statement than a question. “Correct Your Majesty.” The prince turned councilor replied. “The Sultan is no fool. He knows he will likely need the Baku Fields, if he is ever to turn the decline of his empire into renewed prosperity. Any move of ours is very likely to provoke war.” Vladimir did not reply, considering the matter greatly. Finally, after some minutes, he spoke once more. “Councilor Wrangel, prepare plans for war against the Ottoman Empire.” He said, “although I do not wish such a war, Councilor Brassov is correct. The empire needs the Baku Oil Fields returned to her control. Although I do not know when we may make such a move, we must do so prepared to fight and win over the Sultan and his forces.” Vladimir fell silent, seemingly coming to another conclusion.

“This may also answer another predicament of the empire.” He continued. “It is no secret that the fortresses of Constantinople, which the Ottomans call Istanbul, control the Bosporus Strait and that the severe restriction on ships moving through that strait severely limits Russian trade in the Mediterranean Sea and beyond. If we go to war with the Sultan, it would be foolish not to take this into account as Russian control of Constantinople would ensure free travel of our Black Sea Fleet and free travel of our merchant marine through the strait.” Vladimir looked at Wrangel. “Take this into account in your plans, Count Wrangel.” Wrangel nodded. “As you command, Your Majesty.” He responded. “When the most feasible plans have been made, they shall be brought for your consideration.” Vladimir nodded. “Thank you Councilor.”

Istanbul20Skyline.jpg

Constantinople, the key to the Mediterranean Sea

Vladimir now turned to the Councilor for Foreign Affairs. “Your predecessor explained to us of the relations with our neighbors. Those in Europe may be considered less important, as most of them offer allegiance to either the Austro-Hungarian Empire or that of Germany, both which are at least somewhat friendly towards us. It is my wish that these bonds be strengthened further, that we may have as peaceful a border in Europe, as possible. The borders with Finland are another matter entirely, as I do not believe the Finnish government open to negotiations, but try as you might. As for Romania, they are friendly towards us and this relationship should be strengthened as well, as they are to command an important place in the future of the Balkans. If at all possible, we do not want to be entangled by hostility in that area.” Prince Galitzine bowed his head in response.

“What other matters of importance concerning foreign relations of the near future should we be concerned with Councilor?” Vladimir asked. “Mongolia and the Japanese.” Came the quick reply. “The Mongols, although not hostile towards us at the time being represent a major danger to Russia, merely by their location. Their border towards us is the single largest in Asia and unless we continuously guard that border with heavy troops, we are at risk from the Mad Baron, who may do anything, if he senses opportunity. The only way to ensure safety along that border is, if we were to control Mongolia as a satellite nation. That way we need only protect our borders against lawless raiders and at the same time the Mongols themselves would safeguard their own borders against other nations, thus freeing many divisions to take up duty elsewhere. One other thing to consider is that Mongolia borders the Fengtien Republic, which is a satellite of Japan. The emperor Hirohito and his government may be hesitant to begin hostilities against us, if we gain access to another frontline with the republic. As it is, only our easternmost borders grant us access to both the Fengtien Republic and Transamur and should the Japanese decide to attack, they could have their entire army on the continent before we could prevent it. If such should happen, as I am sure Councilor Wrangel will agree, the outcome of such a war would be heavily in favor of Japan.” Vladimir nodded, “And you consider such a war likely?” he asked, although he already knew the answer. “Very much so Your Majesty. The Japanese hate us with religious fervor and their armies outnumber ours severely, if we count only those forces we have in Asia. And we must, as the transfer of troops from Europe to Asia would take such a long time that any war might be all but lost, before they get there.” Vladimir turned to Wrangel. “What are your opinions on this?” he asked. Wrangel considered it for a while, before responding. “the Councilor Galitzine is correct, Your Majesty.” He said, “furthermore, I will add that stripping our European borders is not an option, as that would significantly weaken us in Europe, which must not be. Although we may have rather secure and safe borders here, the knowledge of our strength, should any choose to go to war against us, must not be in doubt and far quicker than any war in Asia, such a war would be lost, if we did not have the troops to defend ourselves.”

Wrangel fell silent for a moment, before continuing. “Chief Rychagov, is it not so that there has recently been developed some sort of naval bomber?” He asked. Rychagov nodded. “That is correct sir.” He replied, using the military form of addressing his superior. “Although, as of yet, we have only the prototypes of such planes, they have proved highly effective in field testing.” Wrangel nodded and turned to Zhukov. “How would you estimate our success at defending the border from a Japanese led invasion, with the forces currently there, if supported by all our medium bombers?” Zhukov thought for a moment, before replying. “We have 14 army corpses on the border and 5 specialized in mountain warfare. That is a total of 57 divisions.” He replied, “All together, an invasion could count between a hundred to a hundred and fifty or so divisions, a three to one parity in forces. Those odds highly favor the Japanese, even if our troops remain firmly on the defensive, a strategy I believe means defeat anyway.” The last part caused some raised eyebrows among the other councilors and the Tsar. “Please elaborate.” Vladimir said and Zhukov nodded. “If our troops remain solely on the defensive, Your Majesty, we leave the initiative entirely to the enemy. One way or the other, in time they will find a weak spot in our defenses and then we will be forced to retreat. It is my experience that when that occurs, the front tends to unravel and the enemy has already won, as long as he can keep our troops running. In time, they will force us beyond the point of exhaustion and defeat us in detail. This is especially true, when considering the enemy’s superiority in numbers. Our bombers may be of some help of course, but their advantage is only truly felt, when our troops take the offensive and we simply have too few men for that. What we need are fast units, to penetrate the defenses of the enemy and attack him from behind, while our bombers soften him and our main forces attack from the front. I have studied many resent wars around the world and I believe that only a strong force of armored vehicles, sufficient to break a hole in the defense and then with the speed needed to surge forward and envelop the enemy from behind, may grant us victory. However, at the time being, the empire has no such force.” Zhukov nodded to Wrangel.

mongolborderNov38.jpg
AsianborderNov38.jpg

The asian border in November '38

“I agree with the Chief Commander on most points.” Wrangel conceded, “Although I have no experience with the concept of armored vehicles and do not know of their usefulness. However, I have spoken at length with Chief Commander Zhukov and I value his opinions in this matter above my own.” Wrangel turned to Von Wiren. “We have no navy in the Pacific?” He asked, a fact that had already stated earlier, Von Wiren shook his head. “None but a single light cruiser, sir.” He replied. Wrangel then turned his attention back to Vladimir. “As I see it Your Majesty, we lack in forces on both land and see. While land forces may eventually become available, this will take time. Even more so will the construction of a Pacific Fleet, able to prevent the Japanese Empire from landing her troops on the continent. However, I believe that we may have a short term solution, which might at least stem the tide in that area.” Vladimir listened, very interested now. “These naval bombers, although I have not seen them myself, I have heard of them and what they might be able to do. I must admit that my experience lies with the army and not the air force, which until a few years ago was looked upon with disdain by most officers in the Imperial Army. However, I have, like Commander Zhukov, observed the battles of recent wars and it has become clear to me that air power is a significant portion of any nation’s strength. Therefore I strongly urge that we begin immediate construction of a large fleet of naval bombers, with which we may be able to prevent the Japanese from both landing all their troops and perhaps even more important, prevent them from adequately supplying those troops, when landed. That may buy us time to train and field sufficient forces to stem the tide and grasp victory for the empire. I also support Commander Zhukov in the matter of armored vehicles, although I am not certain whether such a force can be constructed fast enough to prevent defeat.”

Wrangel fell silent for a moment, looking at Vladimir. “Know this, Your Majesty.” He said, “The emperor Hirohito is not stupid, nor is his government. They will know very well that time favors Russia over Japan and if any attack is forthcoming, it will come sooner rather than later. It may be within a year or even a day that the empire of Japan declares war and even though we cannot know when, we must prepare as best we can. This I, as well as my officers, consider the greatest imminent threat to Holy Russia and it must be countered by any and all means.” Wrangel fell silent and Vladimir regarded him for a long moment, before saying anything. He looked all three Chief Commanders over at well, his eyes resting the longest on Zhukov. He was impressed with the general's achievements and liked the fact that he had new ideas and new ways of thinking, both of which Russia needed dearly. He nodded and finally spoke. “Planes can be build fairly quickly compared to ships.” He agreed. “And although in time a strong Imperial Fleet will be needed, now is not the time to consider this, as the industry of Russia is not limitless. I will order the construction of a strong force of Naval Bombers to protect the waters of Russia. Perhaps this might cause the Japanese to pause before acting and any time earned is time with which to strengthen our Asian front.”

He fell silent again, thinking. “I also have an idea for the Chief Commander Zhukov, which I believe might be very useful.” He continued. “To most people thinking in modern terms, cavalry is a thing of the past and has no place in modern warfare. However on this, I disagree. Since times immemorial, the Cossacks have served the empire faithfully and nowhere else in the entire world do we find a force of more skilled and able horsemen. With modern rifles and training, these men may very well prove highly useful in the Asian theater. Although tanks and other such armored vehicles are far more powerful, they have their limitations as well. Cavalry does not require oil and may traverse difficult terrain with far more ease than tanks and supported by our bombers, they may prove strong enough to defeat enemy infantry. Finally, they are mobile to a degree the infantry is not and if sent in behind enemy lines, they may prove a devastating force.” He fell silent once more, while Wrangel smiled and Zhukov seemed deep in thought. “What is most important however.” Vladimir continued, “is that a large force of cavalry may be easily raised. Only a week ago the esteemed leaders of the Don Kuban Union asked to officially rejoin the empire now that a Tsar once more sit upon the throne. I accepted their gracious offer with both pleasure and humility.” Vladimir looked up. “The Cossacks are there gentlemen and although not as powerful as modern tanks, all we need to gain an efficient fighting force is to equip and train them with the best equipment we have. While such a force would be severely insufficient for the needs of a major war in Europe, they may prove the key to victory in a war in Asia, especially if we train them now.” Vladimir looked at Zhukov. “What say you Commander?” Zhukov considered for a long while, before replying. “At first I would believe such an idea unwise, Your Majesty.” He said slowly, “but upon further reflection, I think you may be right after all.” The way he said it was plain and even blunt, lacking in almost all proper manners towards the Tsar, but Vladimir didn’t mind. Right now, he needed honesty and not manners. “I strongly urge Your Majesty to build as large a force of strong mobile divisions, as possible, but I concede that this will take time and resources we may not have available at the moment and we may not raise enough of these divisions to make any difference at the time. In this light, I think Your Majesty wise for seeing possibilities I do not.” Vladimir nodded, pleased. “Then it shall be so, Chief Commander Zhukov.” He said. “I will send at once to the Cossack leaders, to raise as large an army as they can at the time being. These troops will be trained and equipped as best we can and then sent to the Asian front. At the same time we will construct naval bombers. However, at first opportunity, construction will begin on the vehicles you request and men trained to use them.”

Vladimir fell silent and Wrangel spoke once more. “Another point must be added to this Your Majesty.” He said. “After the Ten-year Plan, the manpower of the empire is not as limitless as it once was. Although it rises steadily, we cannot squander it away. It is vital that we gain as much firepower as possible from any man available and tanks in no doubt possess far more power than any division of infantry in the army. Likewise, the air force demand little manpower, when compared to the army, but is already a formidable weapon and will become even more so in the future. Although it pains me to say this, we must rethink our strategies for the future, that we may defeat our enemies by superior strength and technology and not merely numbers. The times of endless armies have come to an end I am afraid and the time of technological warfare is beginning.” Vladimir looked at Wrangel. The fact that the old count himself had said this nearly astonished the Tsar. He had had such thoughts himself but did not believe that he could win over the military as easily as he seemingly did. Maybe I have chosen even better than I imagined. He thought to himself. He had considered replacing the Councilor for Military Affairs, but he desperately needed his support, if a conflict between himself and Denikin arose at some time. Although the Chancellor had so far remained silent during this, the second part of the meeting, he had not kept idle, but had listened and observed with a keen intellect. Now Vladimir turned to him. “And what do you think, Chancellor Denikin?” He asked, both to hear the opinion of the highly experienced marshal on the military matters, but also to force the Chancellor to voice his opinion to the council that he could not at a later date, if this project proved fallible, claim that he had been in disagreement and perhaps earn points in the game of power which both Vladimir and Denikin knew they played. “I am in agreement Your Majesty.” The Chancellor said. “But I must also remind you of something, which may have slipped from Your majesty’s attention, that of Mongolia.” Vladimir winced, the marshal had just earned such a point as Vladimir wished to prevent.

“I had not forgotten Chancellor.” He said, trying his best to neglect the damage. Although such small things as these would have no immediate impact of the distribution of power between them, in the long run, enough such minor issues could tip the scales one way or the other. “But please, go on.” Denikin nodded. “I believe that we must make immediate plans for an invasion of Mongolia.” He said, “The addition not only of another border with the Fengtien Republic, but also of the addition to our forces of the troops of the Mad Baron, might lessen the Japanese will to fight all the more.” He has obviously thought this through. Vladimir thought, silently annoyed, but showing only interest to the council. “The sooner we act, the sooner we will gain the benefits of a new ally.” Denikin continued. Vladimir nodded. “Our foreign relations may be hurt by such a move.” He replied and Denikin nodded. “They may be, Your Majesty, although they weren’t before. Few nations take much interest in the happenings of our Asian frontier, as long as we keep our distance to China itself, which is in the German sphere of interest. Limiting ourselves to Mongolia and forcing only submission, rather than annexation on the Mad Baron may prove sufficient to deter too much foreign annoyance at our move. Only the Japanese would be truly angry and they hate us already.” Vladimir once more looked around the table to determine the opinions of his other councilors. Although Galitzine did not seem overly pleased, nor did he object and his military commanders nodded their outright support, as did the rest of the council, save Sergius, who did not show any opinion at all. “Very well gentlemen.” Vladimir said after a few moments. “Prepare plans for an invasion of Mongolia at the earliest possible date. Have all bombers transferred to the Asian front to support this effort, as well as any defense against aggression by the Empire of Japan.”

He fell silent for a moment and then continued. “As well, prepare plans for an invasion of Georgia and Azerbaijan, although this will not commence until our borders in Asia are secure. We must look not only to the immediate future but plan ahead as well, or else all may come to naught and the empire fall before our eyes.” Vladimir turned to Wrangel. “Apart from new naval bombers, tanks and the equipping of the Cossacks, what then do the military need within the next year?” Wrangel smiled disarmingly. “More of everything, Your Majesty.” He said, chuckling slightly. “But there are priorities. First, we need to strengthen the air force even further. It is the one part of the armed forces, which can bring assistance to any front within reasonable time. We need more short range fighters, thousands more and we need light bombers.” Vladimir cocked an eyebrow, “light bombers Count Wrangel? Why do we need those?” Wrangel explained. “Light bombers, although with shorter range, are designed for an entirely different purpose than medium bombers. They are usually referred to as Close Air Support Aircraft or simply CAS and their role is to work in close cooperation with the army. Even more than our medium bombers, the CAS would be the flying tanks of the Russian Empire.” He said. “So why have these not been constructed before Councilor?” Vladimir asked. “Because of the range, Your Majesty. We needed a bombing force able to fight on both the European and Asian fronts and for that the medium bombers are perfect. Light bombers while more effective, as they fly far closer to the ground and thus their targeting is greater, suffers from the fact that their range is fairly short. Thus, they cannot be used in Asia, where airfields are few and far between. However in Europe there are always airfields somewhere and here these light bombers would make a very great difference.”

Chapter 2 - Part 4 continued

lagg3-2.jpg

The Lagg-3, the Russian short range fighter.

Sukhoi_Su-2_M-88B.jpg

The Sukhoi Su-2, the new light bomber.

ar-2.jpg

The Ar-2, the naval bomber, the 'short term solution'.

Vladimir nodded. “So for the air force, short range fighters and light bombers, as well as the naval bombers?” Wrangel nodded. “Yes Your Majesty. For the army, the primary needs are tanks and mobile infantry. The Chief Commander (CC) Zhukov believes strongly in the Hammer and Anvil doctrine.” Vladimir interrupted, “and what is that?” Zhukov looked at Wrangel, who nodded.” It is the idea, we discussed earlier for the cavalry Your Majesty.” Zhukov said. “A breech in enemy defenses is forced and then mobile forces break through and take the enemy rear. When that maneuver is completed, the enemy will be captured in so-called pocket, surrounded on all sides. At that point, the main infantry will advance, along with the mobile units, crushing the enemy between two forces, with nowhere to go.” Vladimir nodded and looked back at Wrangel. “Very well.” He said, “You will get your tanks at the first opportunity. As for mobile infantry, what do you have in mind?”

It was Zhukov who spoke up again. “At the moment, Your Majesty, all we can really do is to give them trucks. But we are studying several new ideas on how to further develop the idea of mobile infantry. One way is to create a specific vehicle for this type of unit, perhaps based on the idea of a tank, as in an armored vehicle with tracks, thus enabling the infantry to follow the armored spearheads, wherever they go. This however is still only on the theoretical level.” Zhukov fell silent and Vladimir spoke again. “Thank you commander.” He said, his voice pleasant. “As for the navy, I do not even have to ask, it is sorely in need of everything everywhere. At the time being, we do not have the industrial capabilities to start building a massive navy. We will simply have to do what we can, as time goes by.” Vladimir turned his attention to Von Wiren. “However, this I promise Commander.” He said, “As soon as the major buildup of the army and the air force is complete, Russia will undertake a fleet program, which will see the empire soar above all her enemies on the high seas. You have my word on that.” Von Wiren nodded. Although naturally displeased that his branch of the military would not get increased funding at the time, he knew the reason very well. Above all, Russia was a land power and even though she needed ships to protect her shores and project her power, before that, she needed to protect her borders from any and all enemies.

“I would like to make a request, Your Majesty.” He said and Vladimir nodded in reply. “As the navy is the force most experienced with combating enemy vessels, I request that the naval bombers, when ready, fall under the command of the navy.” Vladimir looked slightly surprised, he hadn’t anticipated this. “I understand that these bombers are planes, Your Majesty, but their enemies are not and in time, they will come to work very close with the Imperial Navy. I can only imagine confusion, if two different branches of the military have to coordinate every single battle on the seas. Far better, in my opinion, to place the naval bombers under command of the navy.” Vladimir didn’t reply at first, thinking the idea through. Although not entirely convinced about the merits of the request, he knew that he needed to placate Von Wiren just a bit, to keep the chief commander happy. This might be the way to do it and he saw no immediate harm in the idea. “Count Wrangel?” he asked, to which the Councilor merely shrugged. “I see no hindrances to Von Wiren’s request, Your Majesty.” He said. “Very well von Wiren, you will have the naval bombers.” Vladimir stated and Von Wiren smiled and nodded his thanks.

Vladimir sat back for a moment, thinking, after which, he looked over at the Councilor for Security. “Tell me, Councilor, are there anything outside our borders, which we need to concern ourselves with and which have not already been discussed?” Kharlamov nodded. “Indeed there is Your Majesty.” He said. “Apart from the developments in Asia, of which we are all aware, the Spanish Civil War draws to a close.” Vladimir held up his hand, as he had just remembered something. “Of course!” He exclaimed. “Tell me, what are the possibilities to extract the royal family from Spain?” He asked, his eyes intent. “Well, it would be highly difficult. We have no submarines or air planes able to travel the distance, so we would have to transport them by land, through both the Carlist held territories and France.” Kharlamov considered the idea for a moment, before continuing. “It might be possible Your Majesty.” He said then, “I have extensive networks in France, which may be able to help the mission along, as well as some agents in both Carlist and royal held territories in Spain.” He fell silent again, nodding to himself. “Yes Your Majesty, it can be done and I will start planning this operation immediately after this meeting is adjourned.” Vladimir nodded. “Thank you Councilor, I do not wish to see the royal house of Spain fall, if I can do anything to avoid it.” All the councilors nodded, they all knew what Vladimir and his family had suffered during the civil war and they understood his need to do all in his power to prevent that from happening to yet another royal house.

“The most important field of interest however.” Kharlamov continued, “Is not in Europe but on the American continents. While the American civil war is officially over, the nation is divided between the CSA and the PSA. Still, the syndicalists hold the eastern states and thus the vast majority of the industry. There is also the question of some very odd borders, after the war. One whole state within PSA borders belongs to the CSA, while another state, this one within CSA borders, answers to the PSA government. Unless they work something out in the very near future, I believe we will soon see another war in the states. If this happens, I believe it only a matter of time, before the syndicalists overwhelm the PSA, however, buy trading heavily with the PSA, we might be able to support them enough to draw out the war for a long time. By the time the syndicalists have taken all of the former United States, they might very well turn against Canada and the breakaway state in the north. If this happens, the syndicalists might come to control an entire continent Your Majesty and at that point all bets are off, as to who may win a war between the CSA and Russia.” Both Vladimir and the other councilors seemed as if they had just tasted something very foul. The idea of the entire north American continent under control of the CSA was one that no one wished to contemplate for too long.

“Apart from this, there is the situation in South America.” Kharlamov continued. “Syndicalism is slowly spreading across that continent as well, although less focused, as the continent is not controlled by a single government. But Mexico to the North and Brazil in the East are both working diligently to spread syndicalism to all of South America and there is little we can do to stop them. This means gentlemen, that when we are to embark on His Majesty’s crusade against Syndicalism, we might very well find that we have to battle both the American continents. It is unlikely that they will all stand together, but we must battle several smaller alliances one at a time. And that is the best case scenario.” Kharlamov looked around the table for a moment, ending with Vladimir. “For the sake of the men and women under my command, I cannot say everything and I hope you respect this Your Majesty.” Vladimir nodded, he respected Kharlamov and understood the need for secrecy, even at this table. “But we are currently working on an idea, which might ease the burden of Syndicalism in South America, if successful, which is by no means guaranteed. I cannot give you any further details now, but rest assured, that when the time comes that I can speak about this, you will all be briefed. Thank you.”

Vladimir looked around the table. “Anyone who has anything else to say?” He asked and when all shook their heads, he arose. “Then I declare this meeting adjourned. We will reconvene on December 1st, unless unforeseen events force us to do so sooner. Good day gentlemen.” With that, the Tsar and count Yuriev left the room. Most of the councilors remained, discussing various lesser topics or hammering out details in one plan or another. This had been the first meeting of the Imperial Council and all in all, things seemed to have gone well.

*grumbles about the limits on characters pr. update*

Well, as you may see, the empire has an interesting time ahead with a rather imminent war in Mongolia and a future one with Georgia, Azerbaijan and likely the Ottomans, as they are in alliance with each other.. As for Japan, I do not know, although I suspect aggression from them.

On the account of the next chapter, I have decided to post an interlude, not about the eastern front, but about Nikolai.. The reason for this is simple: With a war being assured in Mongolia, rather than having to limit myself to a single update, I'd rather dedicate a whole chapter to this and thus, after the interlude, which will be posted next, we will move our attention to the eastern front for quite some time.. I hope you don't mind.. :)

Thanks for staying with me.. :)

Su-2 better not be getting big in the head, thinking he's the best in CAS role, because there CNA BE ONLY ONE lord of DEATH FROM ABOVE. And that's Il-2.

I see that the Tsar has started plotting....

I am sure I missed something, btu how did you get access to the black sea?

4th Dimension: Truly, truly and since it was originally introduced in '41, I have a nagging suspicion that the Ilyushin will be my next CAS upgrade.. :D
If it is, I promise I'll make a special interlude update just about the introduction of the Il-2.. How about that?

trekaddict: Oh yes, plotting is something politicians are very good at.. ;) Erhm.. I mean politics, yes politics.. And I gained access to the black sea by annexing Ukraine in 37.. *points to Introduction updates* :D As I said in the beginning, I started play in '36, but the story begins in '38, so the first two years I boiled down to four updates, just to let you know how things were..
I wanted the story to be about Imperial Russia and therefore I decided to make the first two years into an introduction, so I could get to the point where the Tsar returns more speedily.. :) It's all on page one.. :)

Enewald: Oh no, the Sultan is still a man, just a very tired and very old one.. ;)
For now, the Tsar has no hostile intentions towards Finland, although this former Grand Duchy might eventually find itself within the loving grasp of the empire once more.. I honestly don't know. I've only played as far as Jan 2nd '39.. I prefer not to get too far ahead of the story as I find it harder to remember things then.. And likewise, I don't want to be 'omnipotent', when it comes to the future.. :)

So there the annexation event from All the Russias made it into Kaiserreich? Or did you put it in? That is what I wanted to know.

trekaddict said:
So there the annexation event from All the Russias made it into Kaiserreich? Or did you put it in? That is what I wanted to know.

Oh no, I had a proper war.. :)

There were some events where Ukraine turned Syndicalist and left the alliance with Germany. I figured Marshal Denikin did NOT want a syndicalist Ukraine on his European border, so he declared war and annexed Ukraine.. I think it took about 2-4 months or so.. it was the first real war the new republic had, so it became the foundation for the military changes I made later.. :)

Doge Robert said:
Oh no, I had a proper war.. :)

There were some events where Ukraine turned Syndicalist and left the alliance with Germany. I figured Marshal Denikin did NOT want a syndicalist Ukraine on his European border, so he declared war and annexed Ukraine.. I think it took about 2-4 months or so.. it was the first real war the new republic had, so it became the foundation for the military changes I made later.. :)

Crap. In my current Russia Game the Ukraine stayed monarchist. :(

trekaddict said:
Crap. In my current Russia Game the Ukraine stayed monarchist. :(

It's part of the beauty of Kaiserreich really. You never really know what to expect.. there may be continual peace until '42, Russia might be thrown into war with Japan in '38, in one point, when the Tsar returned, The Don-Kuban, allied with the Ottoman Empire, wished to join Russia as a vassal. I agreed and suddenly I had an alliance with the Ottomans.. In most of my games, the US wins the American Civil War. It usually depends on the form of government they choose. If they decide on the one similar to that of the PSA, the PSA usually makes peace and becomes an ally instead, which leaves the USA with unly two enemies to battle and an ally at the back.. In this game however, the USA made a different choice and is now lost with the CSA and PSA sharing US soil.. I never saw that before. In one of my games, The Balkan alliance declared war on Hungary, which proceeded to annex them all, thus becoming far more powerful than Austria it's master..

You just never know and that's what makes me really love Kaiserreich..
In Vanilla, it's fairly simple.. You know exactly when the war is going to affect you usually to the year, if not the actual month and know how to prepare and who to fear.. Not so in Kaiserreich, where things may change on a whim throwing all your plans out the window.. In one game, where I hadn't prepared thoroughly, I found myself fighting a battle for time all across Siberia, because the Japanese chose to align with Transamur and declare war on me, when I sent in troops to force the plebiscite.. I hadn't seen it coming and I lost more than half of Russia, before I could turn the tide.. The war took three years and nearly bled me white.. Especially so with my French doctrines.. ;)

Doge Robert said:
*many words*

True that. In my Russia Game the CSA won the Civil War and is now in a cold war with the PSA and Canada, the Don-Kuban union refused my offer to join and was promptly annexed, but only after Turkmenistan and Mongolia DoWed my within a month of each other. Turkmenistan has been annexed and Mongolia is now a puppet. Currently I am preparing for the war with the Germans and give my army some combat experience in scandinavia.