• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Aug 15, 2008
Hello everyone, this will be my second AAR.

The Sicilian will be another Narrative AAR, dealing with the Italian Mafia during the reign of Mussolini's Italy and then into World War II, and will be directly affected by the events occuring in the game: I'm playing as Italy. Follow the Italians in their quest of ultimate glory, a new Roman Empire, violence, scandals, and take part in the Italian Costra-Nostra in Italy and around the world...

I now present to everyone:​

Sicilian.jpg

Table of Contents

Introduction: The Sicilian
Chapter I: "I Believed In Sicily"
Chapter II: "Welcome to America"
Chapter III: Heaven on Earth

Last edited:
Good Luck!

Don Corleone said:
I'm going to post you a comment you can't refuse
You do realise your AAR will be full of such comments for days don't you? I just decided to get the ball rolling early. ;)

However it sounds most interesting even without such japes, I'll be following.

Lucas Brazi said:
Hey...maybe i won't swims with da fishes in dis one

I couldn't help myself :)

@ humancalculator: Thanks, I hope to begin the story soon.

@ El Pip: I think I just released something I wasn't even expecting... :D
Hopefully I can entertain you with a story "You can't refuse."

@ robow963: Poor Luca Brasi, I don't blame you one bit for the comment... I have a new character to resemble the giant brute.

@ SouthCarolinian: Thanks for not saying a Michael or Santino comment :p
It will take a bit of time to develope though. Can't just make up a crime family in minutes now can we?

Anyway: I present to you the main Crime Family: The Aachelli Crime Family from Marsala, Sicily. They will be referred to as both the "Aachelli" in Italy and "Marsala" in the USA (as most mafia families were called after their city or home town when in the states).

AachelliCrimeFamily.jpg

If anyone has any other good "Italian" names please share them, I don't think I can name a lot without having similarities or repetition happening with these men.
-Thanks.

Very nice idea, I'll be glad to help you out (over the years, I taken a large interest in Italian and Italian-American organized crime and studying it extensively, and I will try and advice anywhere I can). Some last names you can use:

Ciscero
Vanzetti
Ruggiero
Lorenzo
Pontecorvo
La Cerva
Marino
Ferro
Agate
Di Benardo
Natali
Cerone
Aiuppa
Nicoletti

Good luck!

Marsala, Sicily. 1883

290px-Marsala9.JPG

It was a bright morning, a funeral march was underway in the harsh and rocky Sicilian landscape. The music was sad, the people were gloom, the bishop and children dressed in white robes led the march carrying long and tall crusifexes and crosses. The sky was a bright blue, the clouds were scarce, a young boy and his mother were lined side-by-side, both with a sad and worried face plagued them. The young boy looked at his mother and continued to walk in a straight line, following the band members and the church men and boys. They crossed to the an old dirt road, they're headed towards the old monastery at the top of a local mount, some 1000 feet up, the road was old and the rocks were many.

The bishop walked to the front, passing the band members playing their instruments. From the hills, a man appeared and looked down at the line of people, he armed himself with a small rifle and behind the rocks aimed down in an attempt to find the mother of the young boy. He looked steady but couldn't find her, from behind a woman screamed out in terror, the scream stunned the man, the gun went off.

Below, the funeral march was stopped in its tracks, everyone began to run and dive behind the rocks. The man ran off from his positions in the hills, the mother looked up and shielded her child from any harm. The bishop silently and slowly walked up to the mother, the funeral march had ended.

~ Don Nicholas Marino's Residence. Marsala, Sicily.

"Ah, Mrs. Aachelli what a surprise."

"Don't act like this Don Marino, you killed my husband, my sister and her husband and now you tried to kill me this morning."

"I don't recall ever trying to kill you, you never owed me anything. As for your sister and her husband, that was a tragic accident. Nothing like that will ever happen again," smiled the sinister man.

"Don Marino, why? My husband...

"He owed me a great deal of money, money! My money!"

"He was about to collect the money he owed you."

"Bullshit!" the Don slammed his fist down on his table, a man from the house came out to look at the Don, he signalled him to go back inside.

"My dear Maria, I knew your husband for forty-years, we were good friends...

"Friends don't kill friends you big bast...

"Ahh, did I touch a nerve? Sorry. You must remember this was the business that he chose, and if I can remember you should always keep business infront of friendship. He who trusts in frienships, trusts in nothing."

"Don Marino? What about dear little Miguel? He's so young, now we have nothing. Your men came over last night and took all of my money. He will surely starve, and you know I have no job."

"So, I need not to worry about his vengeance when he's de...

"Dead! You're gonna kill my son too! My only son!"

"Grab her," the Don's men surround and subdue the insane mother, crying and whimpering in the struggle.

"Don Marino, please! Not my only child! Not poor little Miguel! He's only seven! I will serve you if you spare my son."

"Maria. Maria, please you have it all wrong. I was never gonna kill your son, I was just implying he is human, and naturally he'll grow strong and want to avenge his father's death. If you have nothing to eat, he'll grow weak and die of hunger and won't have that urge since he'll be in heaven with you and your husband."

"You're nothing but a sick-twisted man, I have no idea why my husband ever worked or befriended you."

"I'm a sick man, just look at what your husband did for me, who's the sick man Maria? Not me."

A man from inside came out to the deck, "Don Marino, we have your lunch ready. Red or white wine sir?"

"Red," he sends the man back inside. "Maria if I may, I must eat a healthy lunch before I go on my daily duties."

"Don Marino, I have a gift for you, I must whisper it into your ear. Before you killed my husband he told me tell you where the money is."

"Well Maria, I'm glad you see it my way."

Maria comes close to the Don, she comes to his left ear and leans over too talk, "You don't need to worry about your lunch when you're dead!" she pulls out a knife from her dress and stabs the Don in the stomach, she steps back as the Don begins to cough up blood and stumbles back, falling from his chair. "Miguel! Miguel RUN!"

"God help me! I've been stabbed! Dear God help me! Kill her! Kill her!"

The nearby guards behind Maria Aachelli pull out their rifles and grab hold of the woman, the Don bleeds on his porch and men from his home rush out to help him. A guard holds her and another lines directly infront of her, from his shoulder whips out a shotgun and aims it directly at her.

"Run Miguel!"

The guard holding her let's go and dives out of the way, the man with the shotgun pulls the trigger from point blank range, she goes flying back a good six or seven feet and lies motionless on the ground. Her son looks back, he runs down the hills. The other guards begin to give chase to the boy while running down the slopes of the rocky and jagged hill.

"Call an ambulance fools! I'm dying! Get my a towel before I bleed to death!"

Down below the young Miguel Aachelli runs into the town and takes shelter in a hay basket. He keeps his eyes through small holes within the basket and can see the men with rifles looking for him, they shout out his name and talk to other townsfolk about if they've the boy. A family gives the boy refuge for the night, the moon shines bright.

In the dark alleys of the town of Marsala the goons of Don Marino appear going door-to-door, "He who hides the child Miguel Aachelli will feel the wrath of the Don in the morning. Turn him over now and face nothing in return, shield him for the night and you will face the wrath of the Don."

These quotes will continue for quite some time I suspect

Ahhh Irony, in trying to prevent Miguel from seeking vengeance Don Marino has in fact just guaranteed it will happen.

Calo said:
Blood calls for Blood. I must have revenge!

very nice. and horrifying.

my only complaint is with the name Aachelli. unless i'm pronouncing it wrong, it reminds me of R Kelly, which is not a good thing.

BritishImperial said:
very nice. and horrifying.

my only complaint is with the name Aachelli. unless i'm pronouncing it wrong, it reminds me of R Kelly, which is not a good thing.

Hmm... R Kelly, that's definatley not a good thing (sorry for any who like him).

I had in mind of the name being pronounced Uh-Chell-E, (Aachelli). But you can also call refer to the Aachelli name as the "Marsala" Family as it will when in the USA, since from my history and movies seem to have the Mafia not having their original name, and they were given the name of (Michael of...
so in the future, Marsala is the same as Aachelli, just only in the USA ofcourse.

Pronounciation of Aachelli (Uh-Chell-E) : The Mafia Dictionary. :D
Hopefully that clears things up a bit. And this is the Mafia now, I would only think this is some of the business that they go through :p

TheEnlighted1 said:
If anyone has any other good "Italian" names please share them, I don't think I can name a lot without having similarities or repetition happening with these men.
-Thanks.

Good surnames for your "family" in Sicily can be:
- De Bernardi
- Caputo
- Rizzo
- Genovese
- De Luca
- Cimino
- Di Biasi
- Milano
- Romano
- Rossi, Bianchi (They're very common surnames; the italian equivalent of Smith and Brown)
- Montana
- Neri
- Alfano
- Siciliano
- Cavataio
- D'Alessandro
- Argento
- Giordano
- Calderone

And i can go on for a long time. Anyway, if you want to check the validity of a surname try here and write it in the "Cognome" box. If you don't get any result the surname is very rare or not exists at all. For names you can find a long list right here. Just click on the letters.

hehe, theres quite a lot of mussolinis around :D that surname thing is cool, is there one for other countries?

Good AAR. love the opening. It makes me want to see the Godfather again. :D

@ Carlito Gambino: Much appreciated, already took *Marino from your list :cool:

@ Trekaddict: Were you expecting anything less with the Mafia? :D
They take their business very seriously :p

@ SouthCarolinian: Thanks, action is always needed to begin something off in my opinion. And Miguel will get his chance at revenge, that is, if Don Marino doesn't die, you will soon find out...

@ El Pip: Vengeance is a very dangerous game my good man. And Calo, I can't remember which Sicilian guard that is? Perhaps you remember, the one who betrayed him, or the one that didn't and killed Luchassi in the Third Part? I think it was the one that didn't betray him, I just can't remember off the top of my head.

@ BritishImperial: Thanks, I hoped I helped you out the best I could with the name, and that surname thing is pretty nifty I must say. :D

@ Gan'dol: Thanks, all help is graciously appreciated, these names are surely better than the ones that I made up, so many of them are going to be given to the other characters.

@ humancalculator: I'm glad you think this, and I too need to watch the Godfather again, I have the Director's Cut and Edition with all three, I actually had to due a school project on the American Film Institutes Top 100 movies and choose the Godfather, which is by far my favorite trilogy and set of movies and I say the First and Second are my two favorite movies and the Third one, though not as good is highly underrated.

Calo is indeed the loyal bodyguard, also gets one of the best lines of Part III which I will save for an appropriate update. ;)

"I Believed In Sicily"

Sicily, 1934.

The room was dark, there was no light, only the sounds of a few people moving around could be heard. One of the men walked over to the blinds, letting in the light from outside, the room was aluminated with the sun and the men in the room could be seen. Don Aachelli sat at his desk, he picked up a red carnation and placed it directly underneath his nose and looked back at the man standing infront of him.

"Please, Benito take a seat," said the Don in an old muffled voice.

"Thankyou Don Aachelli. If I may..."

"Go right ahead."

"As you know, my wife and I have a two wonderful daughters, and are youngest, now seventeen was taken out by a few bastards a week ago. They drove her around, they had a grande time. At the old bridge at the river bed, they stopped the car and brought her out, they blindfolded her and began to walk to the edge. There the boys let her stop, and played a horrible trick on her, she fell. Down the hill, the jagged rocks, she was screaming loudly, her body all cut-up bleeding and knocked-out. The boys laughed at her, how do I know? One of the three men confessed to me when I threatened him with a four-by-two. When the Carabinieri arrived on the scene, she was barely alive, they took her to a hospital and took the boys into custody, they said it was a horrible mistake, a game gone wrong. It wasn't. When I got there, she couldn't talk or cry. Her jaw was shattered, her spine was broken and my beautiful baby girl was never going to be beautiful again, she died that night. Two days ago, they took the bastards into court, all of them got out of court without a sentence, 'It was an accident' and was acquited. I did everything a good Sicilian would do, but now those three bastards are out in the countryside smiling at me for looking like a fool. Please Don Aachelli, I believed in Sicily, I was wrong. I believe in Don Aachelli. So I told my wife, we must go to the Don of Don's."

Don Aachelli scrathed his neck and pointed at Benito, "Benito, we've been friends since gradeschool, your parents saved me those many years ago, but why didn't you come to me first?"

"I wanted to be a good citizen."

"Citizen of what, Mussolini's Italy?"

"Don Aachelli..."

"Respect. It means a lot to me."

"I respect you Don Aachelli."

"Let me tell you this. If friends respect you that means nothing. If your enemies respect you, that's what respect actually is. What do you want me to do. To qoute a famous man, It is better to be feared than loved. Fear from enemies turns into respect.

"Kill them."

"I don't kill, I'm not an assassin Benito Milano. I'm a business man, killing is not good for business, I could rough them up a bit, but that's all."

"Then can you do this for me?"

"Ofcourse Benito, if you can excuse me, I must prepare for my sister's wedding in a few weeks."

Benito Milano walks out of the room, Don Michael Aachelli calls over his eldest son, "Santino come hear."

"What is it pop?"

"I want a man we can trust to do this job, some blood, no death. Ahh, go to Vito with the message, have one of his guys do the job."

"Okay pop."

Don Aachelli looks out into his backyard, he stares back into his room, just one blind is open, the room is still mostly dark. Outside Sara Aachelli and her closest friends and family are celebrating a wedding shower, only this a major event, hundreds are hear celebrating the occassion. Friends of Sara, family of these friends, friends of the Don and family of Don Aachelli. The Don walks out of his meeting room and looks at his bodyguard, Paulie Ricci.

"Paulie is there anyone else who wants to talk to me?"

"No, but you have a message from a friend from New York America."

"America? Don Luchessi?"

"Yes, he regrets not able to come to Sicily for this occassion, but he does write, ' " I regret to inform you Don Aachelli that I cannot attend your daughter's wedding shower, but I will be attending her wedding in ten days. Right now I'm working on laying down the foundations of the Luchessi Internationale Theatre in Manhatten New York so I'm a very busy person, surely you of all men can realize that. Thanks for the invitation and I promise you I will be here for her actual wedding."

"Paulie, he's a smart man. No Sicilian can refuse a request on the day of his daughter's wedding. Knowing him, he'll want some ridiculous reply from me, and I most grant it. Go enjoy the party outside."

"Thankyou Don Aachelli."

Outside the many guests enjoy themselves with a feast of food and many of Sara's closest friends bug her and poke fun at her for accepting Johnny Caputo's offer for marriage. The future groom however, is absent at the party for it is not the actually thing.

Santino finds Vito Rizzia dancing with Governor General Rudolfo Grazziani, Don Aachelli's contacts go far from just other don's and local county officials but all the way to the top of Mussolini's Fascist Italy to include several high ranking officers Grazziani to be one and Field Marshal Balbo to be another member of the Regio Escrito that he does business with. Michael, his youngest son is in the ranks of the Regio Escrito under the command of Italo Balbo in Eritea. However, of military contacts, Grazziani is the only attending along with several of his officers mainly a publicity stunt after his success quelling rebelions in Libya in the recent past becoming a more powerful partner to the Costra Nostra and a favorite of Mussolini.

"Vito! Vito! Vito I have an important message for you, from my father!"

"Excuse me general, I need to take a brake. Yeah, what is it?"

Santino whispers it into the ears of the most trusted caporegime of the Don, the long time friend and colleague of the Don accepts the job with a smile, "I'll talk to Paulie Ricci and Aldo Luchelli."

"Oh Big Aldo. They would definatley not know what hit them."

"Paulie! PAULIE! Come hear!"

Paulie Ricci runs over to his captain and stops with a bottle of fine wine and hands it over to the capo, "I don't want the wine you idiot. Listen, I have a new job, Benito Milano wants a few hard-nose kids beaten up pretty badly. Listen, no death just beat them up pretty badly. Call Aldo, he'll enjoy to get back into the works."

"You got it boss."

"Good, now get the hell out of here!"

Everyone is having a mary-old time: happy, smiling, laughing, drinking and dancing. Don Aachelli walks outside into the fresh air and sees a sea of party goers here for the preview. The actual wedding can only be ten times as worse as this is, the Don walks out and the guests begin to personally greet and congradulate the "King of Marsala." The truth is however, this can only be as far from the truth as possible...

Last edited: