Imperator: Rome Developer Diary - 24th of August 2020

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Trin Tragula

Design Lead - Crusader Kings 3
Paradox Staff
28 Badges
Aug 1, 2003
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • IPO Investor
  • Paradox Order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II
Hello and welcome to another Development Diary for Imperator: Rome!

The last two weeks many of us have been busy reading and reacting to the various reactions to the released Menander update, while others have begun to work on the next update for the game.
It's been interesting seeing what players do with the new features, both in the form of stories of games played and the written feedback many of you have provided us with. The Suggestions forum and the new Senatus Populusque forum have both seen many good ideas for how the new systems can be improved upon as well as new ideas for the game in general.
These suggestions are much appreciated and both me and others on the team spend quite a bit of time looking through them on a regular basis.

In some ways Menander was an update that allowed you to interact more with your pops, and the internal parts of your country, and it is clear that this was a focus that many of you appreciated.

Based on player input we made a number of changes in the minor 1.5.1 and 1.5.2 updates last week. The latter patch also included some fixes that we had been working on for older bugs and QoL but that we had not been able to include in the 1.5.0 release, this is for instance how 1.5.2 came to include the addressing of the old inconvenience that you could not both take land and take subjects in the same peace treaty.

Most of all however 1.5.2 was an update that looked to tweak the balance of the many new changes and additions of Menander. In particular changes have focused on:

Stability
One of the changes of the Menander update, apart from the new systems introduced such as cultural integration, or the new senate, was changing how Aggressive Expansion, Tyranny and Stability interacted with each other.
The new way of things is a quite dramatic change from how it was before and took some getting used to for many. It also became clear that it needed some more tuning, and so in 1.5.2 we decreased the impact on stability, and increased the impact of tyranny on Aggressive Expansion as well.

This also provided an opportunity to make characters in government more impactful and so ruler traits and offices now have an increased importance for those who want to keep their country stable by reducing Aggressive Expansion or Tyranny.

Integrating Cultures
One of the biggest changes to the Menander update was the new system for integrating cultures and affording rights and privileges to non-integrated cultures. This is a change that seems to have been well received but many expressed hesitation about if it was worth integrating cultures due to the severe effect this had on the state and other integrated culture happiness. To address these concerns we have added some additional ways to increase the happiness shared by your integrated cultures as you grow bigger and increase in rank while also reducing the negative impact of integration.

Bugs:
We also spent quite a bit of time replicating and fixing some bugs reported in the wake of the new update.

One specific issue that we had to spend some time tracking down was the seemingly random, but quite common, sudden death of all characters in a country after winning a civil war - it turns out this happened whenever the revolt leader was on a ship on the time of surrender (!) - something we were able to hunt down thanks to saves posted on our forums.

That was all I had for today about what we have been up to these last two weeks!

We have now begun to look forward to update 1.6, an update which we will talk more about in the future. While we can’t promise anything at this stage, we are continuing to keep an eye out for major issues or imbalances related to Menander, particularly investigating some of the issues you’ve raised with us regarding food imports and AI naval construction.

-Arheo’s bit-

@Arheo here! Something I’d wanted to mention in the last weeks, is that the dialogue between community and dev team is still very much appreciated, and I’ve been particularly impressed by the level of meaningful debate in numerous threads I’ve seen both here and elsewhere.

One topic of conversation that repeatedly occurs is one that I’d like to address here. Much is made of the ‘historical extents of the Roman Republic/Empire’ - and this is something that remains a constant thorn in the side of both balancing and gameplay. It’s a tricky enough balancing act to enable those that wish to play the titular nation of Rome and maintain a relatively historical rate of conquest, as well as those who enjoy a slower pacing of gameplay that might be more apt for other nations.

The difficulty or ease of such a feat has fluctuated a lot over the last few updates, but I believe it’s now somewhere I’m relatively happy with. Recreating the Roman Republic at its historical extents should, in my opinion, be a very difficult challenge. This is something that should require you to utilise all tools available (aside from exploits… we’re watching you ;)). As a counter to this, it makes the concept of that ever-elusive World Conquest almost entirely unattainable. This is something I’m ok with. It will always be done, as the Three Mountains of EU4 has shown - but it’s not something I am actively intending to balance around, and I feel like it is fair to make that clear.

This said, it is a topic I’m keen to hear more on from those interested in following this up, so by all means make yourselves heard.

On an entirely different note, while some of you are understandably impatient to get your hands on more information regarding the next update coming for Imperator, you will have to wait just a little longer.

In usual fashion, however, I shall tease you by announcing two things. Firstly, while we’re working away on the season of war, it has not quite yet begun. Secondly, your next update will be termed Vitruvius, and we’ll be introducing some new faces in the coming weeks, to talk about it.

/PWN

• 80Like
  • 5Love
Reactions:
Marcus Vitruvius Pollio, commonly known as Vitruvius, was a Roman author, architect, civil and military engineer during the 1st century BC, known for his multi-volume work entitled De Architectura.

So something related to buildings and construction?

• 9Like
Reactions:
My problem I have with culture at the moment is ironically, the lack of map-painting of my Primary Culture: once I integrate a culture, it just stays there, almost as if it is different culture altogether which I cannot integrate. From a RP perspective, I dont feel like Integrated cultures are the same as my State Culture regardless of the modifiers say, and hence I dont do it. Not to mention the fact that as of now, my Empire is peaceful without integrating such pops, so why go through the fuss?

Would it be possible, once a culture has become integrated, to change its culture name such that the State Culture comes before it (Roman-Etruscan), as well as changing it colour to my state culture colour? That way, I can have the idea of integrating cultures, whilst at the same giving cultural distinctions.

• 11Like
Reactions:
Keep at it BOIs.
SillyMediocreAcornweevil-size_restricted.gif

• 7Love
  • 3Like
Reactions:
In usual fashion, however, I shall tease you by announcing two things. Firstly, while we’re working away on the season of war, it has not quite yet begun. Secondly, your next update will be termed Vitruvius, and we’ll be introducing some new faces in the coming weeks, to talk about it.

/PWN

Great to hear, that the dev team seems to actually grow (at least the presence in the forums). Maybe this will stop people from opening threads about pdx abandoning the game.
Looking forward to Vitruvius and would like to hear, if it is possible to get it done this year, or if it is delayed due to Covid or other stuff.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Would it be possible, once a culture has become integrated, to change its culture name such that the State Culture comes before it (Roman-Etruscan), as well as changing it colour to my state culture colour? That way, I can have the idea of integrating cultures, whilst at the same giving cultural distinctions.

This is indeed essentially what an integrated culture is supposed to be. However I am not sure if I think it makes sense to color it in your own color, this would take away information that you would need if you ever were interested in disenfranchising the culture for instance (and just in general make the map mode less informative).

• 24Like
Reactions:
One bug that not onl I noticed is that accepted cultures doesnt allow you to colonize.

This should have been fixed in 1.5.2 as far as I know. If it is not please make a bug report with a save where we can replicate and fix the issue :)

• 4Like
Reactions:
Can we expect a 1.5.3 with more bug fixes in the near future? I would assume so, but this was not mentionned in the DD.

• 6Like
Reactions:
This is indeed essentially what an integrated culture is supposed to be. However I am not sure if I think it makes sense to color it in your own color, this would take away information that you would need if you ever were interested in disenfranchising the culture for instance (and just in general make the map mode less informative).
But I dont feel like they are integrated. Yes, the modifiers tell me they are integrated, and I can see their % happiness is the same as Romans, but it doesn't feel like it is integrated, or Roman. In my opinion, the fact they are of a different colour and still bearing the name Etruscan, makes me feel like they are part of the enemy, and must be destroyed. This is why I suggest compromising by renaming the culture to Roman-Etruscan once they are integrated, so that I can have such a feeling they are of my State Culture (or Integrated Culture) which would encourage me to integrate more pops. :)

As of right now, the culture rework is really neat, but I dont feel like integrating them because I want to Romanise Italy and spread Romans across the Empire, which kind of defeats the purposes of integrating. I only chose to Integrate the cultures because the Senate asked me too and I RP, not out of love for the mechanic.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
There is no more "income increase" information in the macro builder or on map when buildinga slave estate, this is a big issue since you cant see in the hundreds of provinces you have which one is the mosts economically beneficial to invest in, are you guys aware of this bug? This was one of the improvements implemented soon after game release and was a huge quality of life improvement.

• 4Like
Reactions:
But I dont feel like they are integrated. Yes, the modifiers tell me they are integrated, and I can see their % happiness is the same as Romans, but it doesn't feel like it is integrated, or Roman. In my opinion, the fact they are of a different colour and still bearing the name Etruscan, makes me feel like they are part of the enemy, and must be destroyed. This is why I suggest compromising by renaming the culture to Roman-Etruscan, so that I can have such a feeling they are of my State Culture (or Integrated Culture) which would encourage me to integrate more pops. :)

As of right now, the culture rework is really neat, but I dont feel like integrating them because I want to Romanise Italy and spread Romans across the Empire, which kind of defeats the purposes of integrating. I only chose to Integrate the cultures because the Senate asked me too and I RP, not out of love for the mechanic.

If we were to do something like that (I currently have no plans to do so), I feel it would be wrong to tie it to integration. Granting a cultural entity rights to citizenship is not the same as them becoming Roman (or Romanised).

• 14Like
Reactions:
Vitruvius:

Machines
The work is important for its descriptions of the many different machines used for engineering structures such as hoists, cranes and pulleys, as well as war machines such as catapults, ballistae, and siege engines. As a practising engineer, Vitruvius must be speaking from personal experience rather than simply describing the works of others. He also describes the construction of sundials and water clocks, and the use of an aeolipile (the first steam engine) as an experiment to demonstrate the nature of atmospheric air movements (wind).

• 2Like
Reactions:
If we were to do something like that (I currently have no plans to do so), I feel it would be wrong to tie it to integration. Granting a cultural entity rights to citizenship is not the same as them becoming Roman (or Romanised).
Fair enough. Im not very well researched into the historical aspects of citizenship and Romanisation, so I will leave it to u :)

Im just saying that as of now, I dont feel they are integrated with my state culture, despite the modifiers saying it is, which is holding me back from using the mechanic. A dual culture setting (maybe over a period of x years?) will make it feel like over generations, such cultures are slowly being integrated into my culture, as the name suggests. It still feels atm it is a completely separate culture to Romans, despite what the modifiers say.

Either way, I hope there is a way for my concerns to be addressed, and I cant wait for 1.6 and more Imperator updates in the future. :)

• 6Like
Reactions: