Imperator - Development Diary #6 - 2nd of July 2018

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
First of all, we have Tax income. As mentioned in the chapter about pops, the tax income of a city is primarily based on how many slaves you have in that city. Then of course there are several modifiers that affect it, like access to trade-goods, stability, ministers, and some factions when in power may increase your tax income.
The only Roman taxes on slavery I can find are one levied on freeing slaves (i.e. 5% of the value of a slave you choose to free goes to the state) and on the sale of slaves (i.e. 4% of income generated from sales).
What you've got here is the use of slave numbers as a rough measure for the wealth of a city, presumably including those employed in its rural hinterland.

Here's a fairly good overview of Roman taxes, though several date from the Empire rather than the Republic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Roman_taxes

• Training Camps : Gives +10% Manpower, and +10% experience to units built in the city.
  • Fortress: Each gives +1 fort level.
  • Marketplace: Each gives +20% Commerce Income
  • Granary: -1 Unrest and +10% Population Growth
Each building type can be built multiple times, and if you have 4 slots in your city, you can fill them all with Granaries if you so desire. Of course you can order the building of multiple buildings in a city at once, and they will be built in a queue.
Well it looks like you will be able to build units in parallel, but this looks like an adaptation of EU4 rather than a new approach. Armies would tend to be raised in Spring, would comprise a range of recruits some of who would be experience or veteran, units might well go on campaign understrength from the start and there would be little provision to rebuild units with replacements as done in EU4. I'd question whether there was much capability for that during the period covered by EU4.

Of course we don't know yet if the units will be the standard 1,000 strong EU4 regiments or not. In the absence of further detail we should I suppose assume that will be the case. Whether that will allow players to approximate the organization of a Roman legion or not isn't clear. I recently re-purchased EU:Rome and Roman armies that the player starts scenarios with don't reflect the organisation of Roman armies; 3,000 heavy (e.g. close order) infantry, 1,200 velites, 200 - 300 cavalry.

Granaries would reduce unrest and increase a city's ability to withstand a siege, but population growth is determined by fertility and mortality, not food production. This is an issue with Stellaris. In the Classical world infant mortality was high, rates of death in childbirth were high, population growth was slow. I have of course yet to see the detail of this 'game mechanic' but I have reservations.

Nice, and good to see what looks like will be a similar Governor Corruption to EU:R. Now wondering whether characters can mass their own money again :)

Nice, and good to see what looks like will be a similar Governor Corruption to EU:R. Now wondering whether characters can mass their own money again :)

Dg8mp1eWAAAHj7X.jpg

It's hard to imagine something simpler or more like a board game. Yet another reason to be extremely pessimistic about this game and the direction Paradox is taking.

Unfortunate.

It's hard to imagine something simpler or more like a board game. Yet another reason to be extremely pessimistic about this game and the direction Paradox is taking.

Unfortunate.

This is the sixth dev diary, and is meant to just be about the basics of the game. The game isn't being released for nearly a year. Calling a game out for bad features is one thing, but just being pessimistic for the sake of hating on a game that we know little about is just stupid.

If taxes mostly come from slaves, does it mean that building a country with a free society without slavery would not be viable? Or is it possible to adjust it somehow (say, with policies that shift the tax burden) or reasonably offset with other types of income? Thanks!

So buildings are going to be constructed on a per city basis, given the number of cities on map isn't this going to mean a lot of time spent just upgrading buildings? Is this why there is such a limited number of different buildings, to allow a nice clean UI (presumably there is an EU4-esque macro builder)

Secondly there is Commerce. This is only present if you either import or export trade-goods from a province. Each tradelink provides some income, and then the amount of citizens you have increase it, while marketplaces and other factors can increase it as well.
Any system of good consumption through the province?

Finally, each city have a few building levels. Each city can have at least 1 building, and each additional 10 pops in that city allows another building level.
So my question is, can you build buildings beyond what your citizens/pops can manage? For example, if I have 9 pops, can I build a second building and just have it sit idle until I have enough people to run it, like I could with factories and mines in "Stars!"?

So buildings are going to be constructed on a per city basis, given the number of cities on map isn't this going to mean a lot of time spent just upgrading buildings? Is this why there is such a limited number of different buildings, to allow a nice clean UI (presumably there is an EU4-esque macro builder)
You don't upgrade building. You can build more if city is big enough. And I don't think a city will gain 10 more pops in few years.

So this is very similiar to EU4 "pop" system one pop generates tax, one production/trade and one manpower. However, the buildings a little bit special.
Thanks for the DD! I can't wait for this game.

You don't upgrade building. You can build more if city is big enough. And I don't think a city will gain 10 more pops in few years.

I consider the stacking buildings as upgrades but you're quite correct, though we have no idea how fast cities will grow. It still might be problematic if you have 100s of cities.

I'd say 4 building types are not enough, I mean, you don't need a million of them but a little bit more of specialization would be really cool. It's kind of pointless to go for a slightly complex pop system and resource system if you're just going to over-simplify buildings and city management. Unless there's more untold features related to city and city growth of course.

Just have one building that adds mana per month to be fair with you right now. 4 buildings are overkill and too complex, even for an intellectual of my caliber(Mind you I watch Rick and Morty on a regular basis AND I own a fedora).