Imperator - Development Diary #6 - 2nd of July 2018

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
  • Training Camps : Gives +10% Manpower, and +10% experience to units built in the city.
  • Fortress: Each gives +1 fort level.
  • Marketplace: Each gives +20% Commerce Income
  • Granary: -1 Unrest and +10% Population Growth

Is it possible to add more buildings by modding?

If taxes mostly come from slaves, does it mean that building a country with a free society without slavery would not be viable? Or is it possible to adjust it somehow (say, with policies that shift the tax burden) or reasonably offset with other types of income? Thanks!

You have also commerce income which is based on how many trade routes you have and multiplied by stuff such as markets and nobles (citizens).

Secondly there is Commerce. This is only present if you either import or export trade-goods from a province. Each tradelink provides some income, and then the amount of citizens you have increase it, while marketplaces and other factors can increase it as well.

Any way to increase the amount of trade routes per province?

I'll echo some others here. Is there no naval buildings? Also what about special/grand projects (think coliseum etc)?

I'd also like to echo the desire for a building manager similar to eu4. Don't forget the the UI and QoL improvements of the past just because they are things you want to put in dlc (the only part of the dlc policy I dislike really).

I do not want to jump the gun but got to admit if we only get to build 4 buildings I would be quite disappointed.

I was hoping to go on a building spree with aqueducts, baths and libraries instead we have 4 buildings.
Let's wait and see but so far from what I see I get this idea of an extreme streamlining. However I'm not a game designer so let's see how this will turn out.

So this building system seems pretty dang simple. I hope we get more buildings/historical options for special cities (Campus Martius, Servian walls etc)
EDIT: Why would they not mention more buildings in dev diary? I am becoming worried about this game.

Last edited:
I do not want to jump the gun but got to admit if we only get to build 4 buildings I would be quite disappointed.

I was hoping to go on a building spree with aqueducts, baths and libraries instead we have 4 buildings.
Let's wait and see but so far from what I see I get this idea of an extreme streamlining. However I'm not a game designer so let's see how this will turn out.

I think these are better represented by civilization value than with the shown building system.

So this building system seems pretty dang simple. I hope we get more buildings/historical options for special cities (Campus Martius, Servian walls etc)

It depend on how you mean simple. Other paradox games each building can only be built ones while these can be built how many times you want as long as you still have space for them. They also compete with each other because you are only allowed one building per ten people.

I think these are better represented by civilization value than with the shown building system.

It depend on how you mean simple. Other paradox games each building can only be built ones while these can be built how many times you want as long as you still have space for them. They also compete with each other because you are only allowed one building per ten people.

Sure though this would be in contrast with Paradox self adopted principle that they would prefer players having an active role in the gaming mechanics. Building these monuments of the iconic civilization are IMO more rewarding than knowing they get developed in the background.

Stellaris?

If I understood his points correctly, Stellaris doesn't have unlimited building levels. You can build mine network up to level X, where X is either limited by tech level, or planetary administration level. In I:R nothing prevents you from having 200 Granaries in one city (Assuming you can get 2000 pops in one city, granted)

If I understood his points correctly, Stellaris doesn't have unlimited building levels. You can build mine network up to level X, where X is either limited by tech level, or planetary administration level. In I:R nothing prevents you from having 200 Granaries in one city (Assuming you can get 2000 pops in one city, granted)
Yes and buildings also work very different from Stellaris as you do not work them.

Dg8mp1eWAAAHj7X.jpg

Thanks ! Step up some Crassus and a Triumvirate :)

By the way I believe that this may have been the first time we've seen confirmed that military units will have experience (IIRC this was also in EU:R so not surprising)

First of all, we have Tax income. As mentioned in the chapter about pops, the tax income of a city is primarily based on how many slaves you have in that city.

This I don't realy get. Why is tax income dependent on the one population group that does not pay taxes?

Yes and buildings also work very different from Stellaris as you do not work them.

Still - it's far from being innovative, IMO. I:R is presented like a mix of previous PDS titles on graphical drugs ;)
Not that it needs to be innovative, I certainly had hope for some innovation. Maybe the best is still not uncovered.