Imperator - Development Diary #17 - 17th of September 2018

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This may have been brought up already, but what is the bloody point of appointing a dictator when the dev's haven't bothered to add the other consul? Kinda makes the mechanic hollow without it.

I have to agree. I didn’t want to bring the point up myself, for fear of derailing the thread, but I agree.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. The archeological evidence is fairly strong that the Carthaginians did sacrifice children:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jan/21/carthaginians-sacrificed-own-children-study

Just the first hit, mind you. There has been loads of recent archeological evidence pointing that this was not just propaganda. I also would like to recommend ‘Carthage Must Be Destroyed’ by Richard Miles - a relatively pro-Carthaginian history, it goes into some detail regarding the veracity of child sacrifice in Carthage, and presents a compelling argument that it very much did happen.

1st off, the guardian is not a good source for archaeological evidence of anything. I will grant you however that they are referring to a valid paper on the subject of the Tophets, but does nothing to address the counter evidence by other archaeologists that dispute this claim. I give you:

Carthaginians did not sacrifice their children to Ba'al Hammon in the Tophet. This open-air site, accessible to all who cared to visit the place, was a sacred sanctuary presided over by Ba'al Hammon and his consort Tanit. The human remains found in the urns buried in the Tophet were of children recalled to the presence of the gods; that is why they were buried in the sanctuary. To this sanctuary came grieving parents, who gave their children back to Ba'al Hammon and Tanit. Sometimes the parents would offer animal sacrifices to the gods to solicit their favor. Then they had funeral stelae carved and inscribed with vows, along with the poignant request that the divine couple grant them further offspring.
-- M'hamed Hassine Fantar

https://phoenicia.org/childsacrifice.html

and

Rather than indicating sacrifice as the agent of death, this age distribution is consistent with modern-day data on perinatal mortality, which at Carthage would also have been exacerbated by numerous diseases common in other major cities, such as Rome and Pompeii. Our diverse approaches to analyzing the cremated human remains from Carthage strongly support the conclusion that Tophets were cemeteries for those who died shortly before or after birth, regardless of the cause.

Skeletal Remains from Punic Carthage Do Not Support Systematic Sacrifice of Infants
Jeffrey H. Schwartz, Frank Houghton, Roberto Macchiarelli, Luca Bondioli
PlosOne Feb 17th, 2010
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0009177

There is no conclusive archaeological evidence supporting that the Carthaginians engaged in child sacrifice, and the only historical references we have of this come from a handful of Romans and one very limited passage in the bible, all of which are likely propaganda. Diodorus writings on the matter read very clearly of propaganda and not of actually witnessed events. In no actual Punic sources do we see descriptions or proscriptions for the rites of child sacrifice, while there are many prescriptive written rites of animal sacrifice.

It should be noted that the best and most reliable Roman sources of the time make zero mention of Carthaginian practice of child sacrifice - Polybius, and Livy. Why the odd silence, especially from Polybius who had actually been to Carthage?

Income ties into another concept I’d like to touch upon in today’s diary, ie Wealth. Each character have a pool of money that they may use to their own benefit. Characters gain money, if they have an office that pays them, or if they are a governor that can use their corruption to enrich themselves, or if they have holdings.

I certainly hope that characters who are generals can also gain (potentially immense) wealth through military successes. Pillage/plunder, enslaving/subjugating/exacting tribute from defeated populations, and seizing new territories should all be (at least potentially) immensely lucrative.

After all, the wealth of Gaul could make for an excellent campaign fund for consul............

But in all seriousness, military leadership should definitely be a lucrative career path towards political power for ambitious young men, especially in republics. Military conflict should offer the opportunity for great material gain for both nations and individuals. Perhaps the percentage of plunder that ends up sent to the state vs. in the pocket of generals vs lost (either not looted or distributed to the army) could be determined by things like general traits/stats (kind generals loot less, cruel/greedy ones may be worse at battle, but may get more loot, corruption levels, etc.), army doctrine (tribal armies more likely to loot, disciplined and professional armies have more potential to be restrained, certain doctrines may improve looting efficiency), and other such relevant factors..

This may have been brought up already, but what is the bloody point of appointing a dictator when the dev's haven't bothered to add the other consul? Kinda makes the mechanic hollow without it.

Aaaand we have the obligatory strawman searching to mention two consuls.
The point is that you make it so that you don't have to care about what Senate wants for the price or risk of... something. Two consuls are not necessary for any of this.

[QUOTE = "DominusNovus, post: 24664744, membro: 84932"] Scusa, ma non sono d'accordo. L'evidenza archeologica è abbastanza forte che i Cartaginesi sacrificarono i bambini:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jan/21/carthaginians-sacrificed-own-children-study

Solo il primo colpo, intendiamoci. Ci sono state molte prove archeologiche recenti che indicano che questa non era solo propaganda. Mi piacerebbe anche raccomandare "Carthage Must Be Destroyed" di Richard Miles - una storia relativamente pro-cartaginese, entra nei dettagli riguardo alla veridicità del sacrificio infantile a Cartagine e presenta un argomento convincente che è accaduto molto. [ /CITAZIONE]
Ottimo libro ... in latino Carthago delenda est ... illuminante é ben fatto su prospettiva cartaginese

1st off, the guardian is not a good source for archaeological evidence of anything. I will grant you however that they are referring to a valid paper on the subject of the Tophets, but does nothing to address the counter evidence by other archaeologists that dispute this claim. I give you:

Actually, the latter paper you linked (by Schwartz et al) is mentioned in the Guardian article. Immediately afterwards it's noted that another paper (likely meaning one by Smith et al) is refuting it. And of course Schwartz et al have since published paper refuting the refutation: https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...nt-sacrifice/5006E240CB75A1E324B3230F6DA17389

The debate seems ongoing for now.

@Vailo123, per forum rules: "Except for the specially designated "other language" forums all posts are to be in English as that is the common language of the Moderators."

Last edited:
Please add back the "Character History" button from EU-Rome. It was very simple but an amazing feature to keep track of characters' deeds.

It showed everything a character did of note from birth to death, in a simple list. Every position they held in the Senate/courts, every choice they made in a public event, every governorship they held, every battle and war they participated in and earned distinctions in, every happiness and tragedy they suffered. Their family life and every child they had or lost. Every friendship and rivalry they had. Every crime they committed and were caught for it, every affair they took part in. It was a mini-archive of sorts, and way better than either EU4's History button or CK2's Chronicles. Great for AARs and immersion in general, watching your character rise and fall through his deeds and conditions.

After a hundred years into the game, it was interesting to look back at characters of previous generations and see how they lived their lives. There was one woman who murdered her rich husband for her senator lover, was caught and executed by the AI. There was a man who was born in a poor aristocratic family and lost his father early, but grew up to be a tough general and led campaigns against Persia, and died of an illness in old age as the governor of Egypt. There was this Greek nobleman who rose through politics and became leader of Athens by commanding their navy against Rome, but as soon as he was given a province he rebelled and proceeded to take over Athens, become a tyrant before ultimately being assassinated five years later.

The history window looked something like this:

293136-europa-universalis-rome-windows-screenshot-it-s-not-the-years.jpg

Maybe you could expand a bit on it. Make it more complex, with better sentence structure. Add more things and events to record, and in a more sensible way. Make the names and things selectable to be able to jump and read their stories, and so on.

It was a great feature and should not go away. :)

Reactions:
EU4 is gonna be so dead so quicky when a EU4 mod for Imperator comes out, your head will spin.

Can't wait.

Edit: It would be nice if city holding wouldn't be capped at just one. Or if at least you could mod it so it wouldn't be capped at just 1.
Most people don't use mods. Heresy, I know, but it is true. If you think a 1444 mod (as much as I also dearly want one) will kill EU4, then you're just wrong. No two ways about it, you're just wrong.

• Repay Loan - Sadly you can’t imprison and execute people you owe money…
That´s just rude! That´s the main reason to execute or imprison someone!

But...but my North Korea mode... :(

Did you guys talk about map projection and why you chose the more geographically realistic map you have vs the more gameplay simple map in Eu4/ Ck2?

The projection they used I think is simply to be able to fit the playable area withing a rectangular space, without having to have huge empty spaces in it you would get with a simple Mercator projection map (since to include southern Scandinavia down to Sri Lanka would require you to also add the entirety of West Africa & and the central Asian steppes, even the Taklamakan desert), although it does look like they tilted the map a bit. The more globe-like projection here also helps to make the tilting less obvious (which would make for a more jarring map, I think).

The style (a kind of exaggerated relief map) is just an aesthetic choice I guess. In my opinion CA did a great job with such map styles (beginning with Empire TW, but perfected quite a bit with Rome & Shogun 2). EU4 (and especially CK2) are pretty old, I think this is just now looking more possible for PDX to do (both recourse-wise and perfomance-wise).

Female and Male governors that's a refreshing and welcome change for historical titles, does this mean we will see female diplomats and the odd female general (like boudicca) as well? :)

Female and Male governors that's a refreshing and welcome change for historical titles, does this mean we will see female diplomats and the odd female general (like boudicca) as well? :)
Where are you seeing these female governors? Also I am pretty sure most things concerning gender rights will be moddable.

Last edited:

It shouldn't be so much of female general as occasional female monarch serving as general (or in Cleopatra's case admiral). This is where Rome 2 TW distorts history by allowing any female character (for certain cultures) to be appointed as general.

Female rulers should have the option to serve as generals though.

Very nice to get more info about character interaction. I will happily confess that this is the part that will make or break this game for me, so I'm always interested in news from this front.

The projection they used I think is simply to be able to fit the playable area withing a rectangular space, without having to have huge empty spaces in it you would get with a simple Mercator projection map (since to include southern Scandinavia down to Sri Lanka would require you to also add the entirety of West Africa & and the central Asian steppes, even the Taklamakan desert), although it does look like they tilted the map a bit. The more globe-like projection here also helps to make the tilting less obvious (which would make for a more jarring map, I think).

The style (a kind of exaggerated relief map) is just an aesthetic choice I guess. In my opinion CA did a great job with such map styles (beginning with Empire TW, but perfected quite a bit with Rome & Shogun 2). EU4 (and especially CK2) are pretty old, I think this is just now looking more possible for PDX to do (both recourse-wise and perfomance-wise).

I am all for the peutinger projection.

• Repay Loan - Sadly you can’t imprison and execute people you owe money…
That´s just rude! That´s the main reason to execute or imprison someone!

I am Philip The Fair and I approve this message.

Nice to see that imperator will have some similarities to ck2.
However in ck2 we cant banish courtiers anymore in order to get their money, I gues in EU:I this will be the same case?
Will we be able to have lovers like in ck2 (I imagine this was Not so uncommon in ancient rome)?
What About taking a loan and forming hin into open Rebellion will this work? Or will Not paying back the loan trigger this?
I am tuned

However in ck2 we cant banish courtiers anymore in order to get their money, I gues in EU:I this will be the same case
Actually, you can. You just need to be the courtier's liege