Imperator - Development Diary #17 - 17th of September 2018

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have an important Question: will you add China in the future? Also, please, I beg, I want DLCs in future that gonna add more timeline back in history. I'd like to play like.... idk, onlder Timeline, when Rome wasn't dominant in region, Babylon Existed and Persia was not ruled by Greek decendants.

upload_2018-9-17_14-13-12.png

We need to know more about those Dolphin armies. Alternate History/Species development path? No one can beat the Dolphin´s Mare Nostrum

Love that DDs come on Mondays. Gives me a little thing to look forward to at the start of the work week!

In EU: Rome, I rarely used character actions. Just the occasional murder and or imprisonment of a populist leader. I rotated governors/generals often, and that took care of loyalty issues. There was rarely an occasion to do anything more than that, other than manage prisoners (I'm curious if other players had the same experience). I wonder if this area of the game will be made more immersive in Imperator.

Right now it looks much the same. I like the detailing of where a character has holdings, and family history - but does it really matter? - In relation to the bigger picture? I don't think it did in EU: Rome. The only thing that mattered to me about characters was their stats, not who they were related to or where they collected their money. So other than flavor (and I LOVE flavor), and some AI rivalries that rarely affected what I was trying to do with the nation - what's the point?

I'm worried that this will become somewhere between EU and CK, "a master of none." Decent state and decent character control, but not great with either. Maybe those two things together will be great? Or maybe the whole this will be lukewarm. I want something more here - but have no idea what it would be! Looking forward to seeing what PDS comes up with!

That's all for my weekly rambling.

Keep in mind, folks, Marriage used to be about nothing more than breeding pairs. The idea that love would have anything to do with it is a relatively recent idea (about 18th century).
I would add in "dynastic alliances" to that too. And in fact I would wager that dynastic alliances were the primary reason for marriage, above breeding, considering that adoption was also very prevalent.

EU4 is gonna be so dead so quicky when a EU4 mod for Imperator comes out, your head will spin.

Can't wait.

Edit: It would be nice if city holding wouldn't be capped at just one. Or if at least you could mod it so it wouldn't be capped at just 1.

Do only tribal nations have the option to practice human sacrifice? The canaanite religious people will feel left out.

This depends a lot on what you are referring to. If by human sacrifice you are referring explicitly to the practice of child human sacrifice than it has been fairly well settled that the accusation that the Carthaginians practiced human child sacrifice was a Roman propaganda invention. (Romans liked this accusation, used on early Christians as justification for persecutions as an example).

This is not to say that the Carthaginians did not practice any form of human sacrifice, they may very well have, but Child sacrifice wasn't a part of it. And by the by, the Romans also practiced human sacrifice. The Devotio was a form of human sacrifice (albeit a self proscribed and, supposedly, voluntary form of self-sacrifice) and of course the Gladiatorial games were not just meant to appease the populas but also to appease the gods by the shedding of slave blood in ritual combat.

While human sacrifice did exist throughout the ancient world, just how large a part it played in the roles and lives of assorted peoples is open to much debate. Especially as much of the sources on the practice come not from the practitioners themselves, but rather from "foreign" witness', like the Romans with Carthage, or the Hebrew claims against the Canaanites. How much was propaganda, a way for the Hebrews to distinguish themselves from the nearly identical Canaanites.

This depends a lot on what you are referring to. If by human sacrifice you are referring explicitly to the practice of child human sacrifice than it has been fairly well settled that the accusation that the Carthaginians practiced human child sacrifice was a Roman propaganda invention. (Romans liked this accusation, used on early Christians as justification for persecutions as an example).

This is not to say that the Carthaginians did not practice any form of human sacrifice, they may very well have, but Child sacrifice wasn't a part of it. And by the by, the Romans also practiced human sacrifice. The Devotio was a form of human sacrifice (albeit a self proscribed and, supposedly, voluntary form of self-sacrifice) and of course the Gladiatorial games were not just meant to appease the populas but also to appease the gods by the shedding of slave blood in ritual combat.

While human sacrifice did exist throughout the ancient world, just how large a part it played in the roles and lives of assorted peoples is open to much debate. Especially as much of the sources on the practice come not from the practitioners themselves, but rather from "foreign" witness', like the Romans with Carthage, or the Hebrew claims against the Canaanites. How much was propaganda, a way for the Hebrews to distinguish themselves from the nearly identical Canaanites.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. The archeological evidence is fairly strong that the Carthaginians did sacrifice children:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/jan/21/carthaginians-sacrificed-own-children-study

Just the first hit, mind you. There has been loads of recent archeological evidence pointing that this was not just propaganda. I also would like to recommend ‘Carthage Must Be Destroyed’ by Richard Miles - a relatively pro-Carthaginian history, it goes into some detail regarding the veracity of child sacrifice in Carthage, and presents a compelling argument that it very much did happen.

Last edited:
That's a lot of space on the UI dedicated just to saying the religion and culture of the character. Is there a chance it might be changed to allow more space for other things?

Execute - Permanently move a prisoner to another plane of existence.

I hope there's a drawback to these executions in Rome. Cicero executed men in the Cataline Conspiracy and was prosecuted and had to leave Rome before being exiled in retaliation. Arguably this is the first instance we have of the conflict between civil rights and state control.

This may have been brought up already, but what is the bloody point of appointing a dictator when the dev's haven't bothered to add the other consul? Kinda makes the mechanic hollow without it.

This may have been brought up already, but what is the bloody point of appointing a dictator when the dev's haven't bothered to add the other consul? Kinda makes the mechanic hollow without it.
Kinda makes the entire Roman expierence hollow without it. I can see the point of having a dictator to circumvent the senate for a while, but from an historical perspective there's very little point to going back to one consul after you've migrated to a dictator. The system was put into place following the overthrow of Tarquinius Superbus in order to keep power out of the hands of one person except in the most dire emergencies. It was up to the Senate to choose someone they believed would give that power back to the diarchy without a fight once the crisis was over. Once you've conceded in principle that the role of head of state is to be bestowed indefinitely on one man the precedent is established, and how much power he has is now just a matter of degree and inevitability.

Cheers for the DD Johan :D. The sound of the various characters income streams sounds good (although would there be a base stipend for a governor that doesn't count as corruption?) and the actions being 100% scriptable sounds particularly good :).

In Imperator health is a value between 0 and 100, and when it reaches 0, that character dies. Health related traits affects this each month, but don’t expect that a brain-damaged frail leper to have a long life-expectancy.

This seems like the design is tacking a bit too close too "playing a spreadsheet" than I'd probably personally prefer, but am aware the general design ethos is moving towards surfacing more things, this just feels like something that it's not that plausible to surface (people still pass now with no warning for health reasons that are a complete surprise, and I have no doubt there was a good deal of more of that back in the day). I can live with it though (and could mod the UI to not display it if I wanted to), so no biggy.