How do you assign/base/attach ballistic missiles to SSBs and SSBNs?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Czarina Julie

Czarina
9 Badges
Apr 11, 2008
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
I'm using the command = { type = missile_carrier which = [submarine] } to enable my SSBs and SSBNs to carry and launch ballistic and ICBMs. Not sure if I have the syntax correct since the game doesn't complain when it's starts.

Code:
# Diesel-Electric Ballistic Submarine
  application =
  { id        = 20070
    name      = TECH_APP_NAVAL_51_NAME
    desc      = TECH_APP_NAVAL_51_DESC
    position  = { x = 296 y = 473 }
    year      = 1960
    # Modified Teardrop Pressure Hull
    component = { id = 20071 name = TECH_CMP_NAVAL_51_1_NAME type = naval_engineering difficulty = 5 }
    # Anti-Vibration and Sound Reducing Systems
    component = { id = 20072 name = TECH_CMP_NAVAL_51_2_NAME type = electronics difficulty = 6 }
    # Underwater Missile Launch System
    component = { id = 20073 name = TECH_CMP_NAVAL_51_1_NAME type = rocketry difficulty = 6 }
    # Ballistic Missile Control System
    component = { id = 20074 name = TECH_CMP_NAVAL_51_4_NAME type = electronics difficulty = 6 }   
    # Missile Launch and ASW Operations Training
    component = { id = 20075 name = TECH_CMP_NAVAL_51_5_NAME type = training difficulty = 10 }
    required  = { 20060 7120 } # Modern Diesel-Electric Submarine and Ballistic Missile
    effects =
    { command = { type = new_model which = submarine value = 9 }
      command = { type = missile_carrier which = 20070 }
      #command = { type = missile_carrier which = [submarine] }
    }
  }

51263046523_4f70d0fe7a_o.png

51263046603_b9cef13340_o.png

Any help is always highly appreciated

I'm using the command = { type = missile_carrier which = [submarine] } to enable my SSBs and SSBNs to carry and launch ballistic and ICBMs. Not sure if I have the syntax correct since the game doesn't complain when it's starts.

Code:
# Diesel-Electric Ballistic Submarine
  application =
  { id        = 20070
    name      = TECH_APP_NAVAL_51_NAME
    desc      = TECH_APP_NAVAL_51_DESC
    position  = { x = 296 y = 473 }
    year      = 1960
    # Modified Teardrop Pressure Hull
    component = { id = 20071 name = TECH_CMP_NAVAL_51_1_NAME type = naval_engineering difficulty = 5 }
    # Anti-Vibration and Sound Reducing Systems
    component = { id = 20072 name = TECH_CMP_NAVAL_51_2_NAME type = electronics difficulty = 6 }
    # Underwater Missile Launch System
    component = { id = 20073 name = TECH_CMP_NAVAL_51_1_NAME type = rocketry difficulty = 6 }
    # Ballistic Missile Control System
    component = { id = 20074 name = TECH_CMP_NAVAL_51_4_NAME type = electronics difficulty = 6 }  
    # Missile Launch and ASW Operations Training
    component = { id = 20075 name = TECH_CMP_NAVAL_51_5_NAME type = training difficulty = 10 }
    required  = { 20060 7120 } # Modern Diesel-Electric Submarine and Ballistic Missile
    effects =
    { command = { type = new_model which = submarine value = 9 }
      command = { type = missile_carrier which = 20070 }
      #command = { type = missile_carrier which = [submarine] }
    }
  }

51263046523_4f70d0fe7a_o.png

51263046603_b9cef13340_o.png

Any help is always highly appreciated
unfortunately i never got that working myself, i think it is turned off in the code back when it was hoi2 and no one got it working again

unfortunately i never got that working myself, i think it is turned off in the code back when it was hoi2 and no one got it working again
Well that's a fine How do you do :) I'll play with it a bit but not going to spend a lot of time on it. Such a bummer that it doesn't work.

It would have to make the SSBs and SSBNs "mobile airfields" then you will have the issue of how SLBMs could be on a specific ballistic sub.

Thanks anyway. Now if we could only make "Divisions" to create new ships, planes, and army units without "sticking" them into the existing divisions....what a dream

• 2Like
Reactions:
In the photo - don't the 1st and 8th SS(B)N have nukes attached? I guess the issue is you don't get the "Nuke" option in the combat list, is that correct?

PB-DK is correct. The reason I inserted the nuclear symbol into the SSN and SSBN is to make it easier for players to distinguish which subs are nuclear and which are not.

I know it's a bit repetitive since it also has SSN or SSBN on the icon. I could go both ways...with it or not. What ya'all think?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm confused - is the issue that you can't attach missiles to the subs?

I'm confused - is the issue that you can't attach missiles to the subs?
Correct. When you go to click on button to attach a brigade to it, all you have (if you've researched it) is spotter. Also missiles are an actual brigade but considered a division by the game. Basically, as far as the game cares, it's just another aircraft.

Correct. When you go to click on button to attach a brigade to it, all you have (if you've researched it) is spotter. Also missiles are an actual brigade but considered a division by the game. Basically, as far as the game cares, it's just another aircraft.
Ah, thanks for confirming. Unfortunately I can't see a solution beyond a hard coded improvement being required here.

Unfortunately I can't see a solution beyond a hard coded improvement being required here.
Yes, it would have to be coded but should be easier than creating code from scratch. The code is already there to:
  • treat missiles as a 'one time' use aircraft. It goes away after it hits its target
  • code exists for where a missile can be deployed (airfields) and could be modified to include SSBs and SSBN
So some of the code is already done and just needs to be modified. However there would need to be some new things:
  • A new division, called ballistic_submarine.txt, would need to be created and the code modified to recognize/find/look at the new ballistic_submarine.txt. This would allow only those subs within the file to be able to carry and launch missiles.
  • One would have to go through the code to see how it determines where air bases are...provinces? Then see if a moving airfield (sub) could use the existing code or need to modify it so actual aircraft couldn't use a sub as an airbase.
  • (optional) How many missiles can be assigned to a sub? We can't just use it as an airfield and stack a bunch of missiles on it. There would need to be a limit. And could that limit increase as newer ballistic sub are researched.
Not sure Paradox would do any of this since AoD is an older game. Basically it's not worth their time when their focus is on the newer games

• 1Like
Reactions: