HOI4 - Development Diary - 26th Of August 2016

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you do plan to flesh out the Pacific some interesting facts and info about Manchukuo you could implement. Most of the officers were Japanese sown below
tumblr_m9j7l4Bc5N1rubozqo1_500.jpg

Manchukuo was a very multicultural country, it contained Han chinese, Manchu , a large japanese colonizing population and white russians!. all of which fought in the armed forces together. This could be shown by giving different commanders and generals chinese,manshu,japanese or russian names (below is a medal awarded to white russian soldiers in the Manchukuo army)

russia-manchukuo.jpg

A force of Manchukuo Soldiers of mixed japanese and Manchu leadership
truth-manchukuo30.jpg

As for uniforms if you ever consider making skins for them below is a collection of Manchukuo uniforms. they used the same weapons as the Japanese Army, the Manchukuo Airforce mainly used japanese army type planes such as the Ki-2 Oscar.

06.jpg

1842_rd.jpg

2014-12-11_00006.jpg

Manchukuo_soldiers.jpg

below is the Land of Manchukuo

38049c257198f40e2d002a20d8a9a93f.jpg

if anyone is interested in testing out gameplay with a historically accurate Manchkuo below is the link. Pay attention to how the japanese and manchukuo AI acts. as a human player playing as Manchukuo u can get a fictional Independence event .

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=698884771&searchtext=manchukuo

Last edited:
Reactions:
yes but if your dismantleing soviet union as the axis or the allies.... why would you leave the soviets with the Crimea?
Crimea would be a part of another country, not Ukraine, given it's history. Or, depending on the nature of the victory, stay Soviet. But I don't see, from a perspective before 1954, why it would be granted to Ukraine.

Reactions:
Hi everyone and welcome to this weeks diary with an update on Sunflower (1.2) patch. This is a great diary because its mostly written by other team members while I grab the credit of posting it! :D First up is @Voffvoffhunden with new nations we are adding in.

New Nations
Have you ever felt that the Soviet Union was a bit of a big, threatening blob, but that there was little you could do about it apart from taking all their territory for yourself?

Things are about to get a whole lot more colorful!

You can for example enjoy a stay in the breadbasket of Eastern Europe, as the territory of the Ukrainian SSR joins the fray as releasable cores! Get yourself a nice little puppet just a grenade’s throw from Moscow, or release it from the Soviet Union, take control and have your own little reconquest against Poland.

Even in my wildest dreams I would not expect releasable nations be an important part of the next patch for HOI IV!?! Suddenly I realized, this is not AoD or Darkest Hour trying to depict WW2. This is a history based fantasy game, inspired by Europa Universalis. Boy I'm disappointed!!

Last edited:
Reactions:
Even in my wildest dreams I would not expect releasable nations be an important part of the next patch for HOI IV!?! Suddenly I realized, this is not AoD or Darkest Hour trying to depict WW2. This is a history based fantasy game, inspired by Europa Universalis. Boy I'm disappointed!!

Dev's have been very clear about this. Not sure why you are surprised.

Reactions:
If you do plan to flesh out the Pacific some interesting facts and info about Manchukuo you could implement. Most of the officers were Japanese sown below

Manchukuo was a very multicultural country, it contained Han chinese, Manchu , a large japanese colonizing population and white russians!. all of which fought in the armed forces together. This could be shown by giving different commanders and generals chinese,manshu,japanese or russian names (below is a medal awarded to white russian soldiers in the Manchukuo army)

russia-manchukuo.jpg

truth-manchukuo30.jpg

As for uniforms if you ever consider making skins for them below is a collection of Manchukuo uniforms. they used the same weapons as the Japanese Army, the Manchukuo Airforce mainly used japanese army type planes such as the Ki-2 Oscar.

06.jpg

1842_rd.jpg

2014-12-11_00006.jpg

Manchukuo_soldiers.jpg

if anyone is interested in testing out gameplay with a historically accurate Manchkuo below is the link. Pay attention to how the japanese and manchukuo AI acts. as a human player playing as Manchukuo u can get a fictional Independence event .

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=698884771&searchtext=manchukuo
If I didn't know better, I'd say you want Manchukuo in the game.

Reactions:
If we're going for the most silly things, then I want THE MOST SINGLE IMPORTANT SOLDIER OF WWII: Wojtek the Bear.

Wojtek
Among the huge variety of troops serving at Monte Cassino, probably the most unusual was a bear from Iran, called Wojtek. Raised by and enlisted into the 22nd Artillery Supply Company of the Polish II Corps, he carried artillery shells during the battle.

from

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Monte_Cassino

A must to have, and the best Polish unit possible :)

Reactions:
This is cool as fuck, but what do we ever need puppets for? You get free resources, yes, but for every puppet you create you lose valuable states to build factories.. (or reactors)

Not to plug in the stuff (too much) but I kinda did the legwork on that already. With those ship attributes and the define tweaks the battles work out reasonably well balanced, imo (in that the ships perform in how you'd expect them to, instead of the immune CLs and DDs just wiping the floor with everything) At the least it's not worse from how it is currently in the vanilla game, so if you use that as a starting point, that can cut you a few hours spent on tweaks and tests.

Thanks, iv seen your mod. The underlying formula isnt working so well though and needs a change for long term balance health. You can get to a better place with number tweaks, but wont fix all issues atm

This is cool as fuck, but what do we ever need puppets for? You get free resources, yes, but for every puppet you create you lose valuable states to build factories.. (or reactors)
2 reasons. It makes for better borders when nations lose in peace conferences, but its also a long term thing. Eventually the idea is that puppets are necessary and prefered in many situations (atm puppets are good only for roleplay and when playing a minor with manpower issues since puppets can conscript more than you can on annexed)

Reactions:
I didn't know Wojtek was already in the game

Add realism to the game against Switzerland ! Any power that has its territory, receives a penalty to income at 80% . Those wishing to violate its neutrality sharply diminished !

This is logical , given that it focuses the global banking system .

Reactions:
Thanks, iv seen your mod. The underlying formula isnt working so well though and needs a change for long term balance health. You can get to a better place with number tweaks, but wont fix all issues atm

Great to hear you're giving some more tlc to some of the underlying naval formulas :). I do think you've moved the naval battle system well ahead of where it was in previous HoIs, but am very happy to hear you're not resting there :D. On that front, in terms of naval combat, and thinking longer-term, instead of a system where both fleets try and reduce each others' screens before one sides' screens swarm the others sides' capitals, is there any thought to taking a more 'battle line' approach. In most fleet encounters, the first vessels that opened fire on each other were often the battleships or cruisers, if there were BBs and CAs/CLs in the battle. At the moment, naval battles tend to end up with the losing side losing a lot of screens, and being stuck with an unbalanced fleet for a long time afterwards. I'm a bit knackered at the moment, but my feeling from what I've read is that historically it was far more likely for like ships to engage like ships. Happy to chase up specific examples if that would help.

Edit: On this, not suggesting it should only be like-with-like, but if there was a way to line the forces up against each other in more historically plausible configurations. Destroyers should still make torpedo runs and the like.

Another issue is that when there are two fleets with carriers, the weaker surface fleet seems a bit keen to engage the other fleet, when in some cases it would make more sense to hang back and let their aircraft do the work. I do think that surface fleets should be able to engage CTFs (particularly if the fleet trying to press an engagement is quicker, but luck should also play a part), but it seems a bit too pro-surface slugfest for fleets with carrier support at the moment. Would be really cool if doctrines actually involved settings as to how fleets used their ships (ie, do the surface ships strictly play the 'protect the carrier' role, or do they send groups hunting the other fleet), as well as the tech side to things, but now I'm experiencing a bad case of suggestion creep ;).

Last edited:
Reactions:

russia-manchukuo.jpg

truth-manchukuo30.jpg

06.jpg

1842_rd.jpg

2014-12-11_00006.jpg

Manchukuo_soldiers.jpg

Sooo.... What your saying is that the area is rightful Russian Clay with a Russian Minority? Interesting.....

Reactions:
Really not sold on making Texas a releasable nation. That's just another really far-out ahistorical thing that could never happen, and HOI4 has more than enough of those already.

Reactions: