Confirmed HoI 4 - HOI 4 - 1.10.3 - [aa89] - AI reset entire naval production after loading a save.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mr.Sega

Recruit
11 Badges
Jan 23, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
Description of issue
HOI 4 - 1.10.3 - [aa89] - AI reset entire naval production after loading a save.

Game Version

Enabled DLC
Man The Guns

Do you have mods enabled?
No

Description
After loading any save and skipping about in-game day, all ship (naval) production in AI countries is canceled. When you'll take control of AI country aftes this steps, you'll see three options:
1) AI Shipyards are not involved in any production.
2) AI building only convoys.
3) AI building new ships (without progress).
This bug occure only with enabled MtG DLC, without this DLC everything will be fine. No mods.

Steps to Reproduce
Reproduction Steps:
1) Load any save you have.
2) Skip about a day.
3) Use console "tag" or "observe" command to view what AI doing.

Upload Attachment
(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

• 16Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
@mikwarleo Please read my post again before you attempt further testing. The actual culprit is probably not the reload itself but triggering of the other things I listed very likely for some countries when you reload.

I wont do further testing because I see the thoroughness in your post and others and don't doubt it. I probably should not have imposed my tests on you all before I looked at your post more carefully, because I now realise it has already been vastly better done by you and others.

Reactions:
Is it fair to tag and get feedback from @podcat or someone similar on this?

I would never normally do that but this issue seems so bad that it's fair to ask directly:
- that this be made a top priority for the next patch
- what's an approximate time frame for a fix

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
I am seeing this as well mid game and happening to all countries at the same time (using observe). It is happening in vanilla and with mods, and affects game start and after loading from a save. For me it is 100% every time and using observe I can see it happen to all countries immediately. As noted, it doesn't happen if MTG is disabled. No wonder my mid games have been so frustratingly easy to win the naval war!

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Is it fair to tag and get feedback from @podcat or someone similar on this?
Podcat has notifications from mentions disabled and prefers DMs. (Can't quote the source unfortunately because the forum search sucks)does not generally look at his notifications

Edit: found the source with some sleuthing:
about pings... I get pinged so much I usually have 100+ notifications so I just cant look at that unless its for bug threads where I am actively discussing stuff. PMs get answers sometimes if people arent spamming me... yeah its kinda luck based ;D

my personal wish is that the bug forum have an upvote feature kinda like reddit so the most wanted bugfixes got pushed to the top.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I have stopped playing for the first time in years since what is the point if the AI completely can't compete on naval warfare? Can't understand why this hasn't been fixed since MTG was out ages ago and I don't understand why this doesn't have a 1000 upvotes.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
I haven't played since I learned about the bug, and I used to really love this game, bought all the DLC, etc. You have a unique game with tremendous potential, and one I'd love to play again. Please consider this bug a pretty big deal for us who are naval enthusiasts, and who paid for the Man the Guns DLC. I'd like to see the DLC working. Thanks!

• 3Like
Reactions:
I haven't played since I learned about the bug, and I used to really love this game, bought all the DLC, etc. You have a unique game with tremendous potential, and one I'd love to play again. Please consider this bug a pretty big deal for us who are naval enthusiasts, and who paid for the Man the Guns DLC. I'd like to see the DLC working. Thanks!
I cannot say when a fix will be deployed, or what the priority for this bug is, because obviously if I did I would spoil internal stuff.

What I can say is that we take the community's input into consideration, and obviously this bug has a lot of traction (thanks voting system). Though I am sympathetic for everyone who has this all I can really say is that I made sure we are tracking it internally, sorry for the lack of further information, which I know everyone wants.

Reactions:
I cannot say when a fix will be deployed, or what the priority for this bug is, because obviously if I did I would spoil internal stuff.

What I can say is that we take the community's input into consideration, and obviously this bug has a lot of traction (thanks voting system). Though I am sympathetic for everyone who has this all I can really say is that I made sure we are tracking it internally, sorry for the lack of further information, which I know everyone wants.
Thank you. I understand where you're coming from and I as well as others appreciate the continued support of the game. We're all looking forward to challenging other countries in the high seas, sometime in the future. ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
@CraniumMuppet Sorry mate but this really needs a fix now. If the logic cannot be fixed then just take away the AIs ability to cancel ships altogether as a hotfix, or any other half-baked workaround to fix this. I understand your position but the lack of meaningful communication (and a fix!) for this issue is becoming preposterous. It pretty much breaks an entire DLC, might as well remove it from Steam in its current state.

• 8Like
Reactions:
@CraniumMuppet Sorry mate but this really needs a fix now. If the logic cannot be fixed then just take away the AIs ability to cancel ships altogether as a hotfix, or any other half-baked workaround to fix this. I understand your position but the lack of meaningful communication (and a fix!) for this issue is becoming preposterous. It pretty much breaks an entire DLC, might as well remove it from Steam in its current state.
You make a very good point about ethical accountability on the side of Paradox. It's ethically and morally wrong to sell a DLC that everyone knows is 100% broken. I like the way you expressed this view. I would also be for Paradox removing the DLC from Steam and from their website until the DLC works. It's the right thing to do. Stop selling something you know is broken.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I have encountered the same issue very late into the game as a minor nation, Turkey. I was about to end the game with a bang with a final war with the remaining superpower germany. Was really looking forward to it.

However, I was confused why the ai was producing nothing but screen vessels all game, so I tagged to germany to see what they are building. I was shocked to find that they wiped their ship production every time the game was loaded, so the only ships they end up completing were light ships. This must have impaired the ai of other major countries too.

I felt like the whole campaign has become rather empty of any sense of achievement at this point, given i have been fighting a handicapped ai who will not even build naval units. I could use the console command to give the germans and their client states a lot more ships, but honestly I can't be bothered any more.

I would recommend against buying this dlc until this issue is fixed. Your dlc is not a finished product and honestly it is only good faith behavior to pull it off steam until you fix this game breaking issue.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Just found some little mod in workshop for little workaround this bug. It's called Naval AI Workaround.
It's just give buffs for AI to build capital ships up to a certain limit. If AI reach limit buff automatically will be removed. Different limits for different countries.
Mod need some balancing (too much bonus to dockyard production and ai build another ships with it, not only big), but idea is good.

Reactions:
I have found a simpler workaround by allowing around 15 dockyards to work on a single capital ship. This should not cause balance issues as it does not give the AI any buffs, it merely allows them to focus their production better and finish capital ships within a reasonable amount of time (before a reload would reset their production).

However, my best workaround so far is simply not quitting the game. I've been running a single session of heavily modded BICE for about 3 weeks, it's well into the 1970s now and the game is rock solid. The AI might be fucked but the game engine is honestly one of the best.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
The best work around would be if paradox would fix that annyoing bug....

But yeah it shows how much paradox care about the game
For new dlcs they have time but fixing a game breaking bug not...
That kind of bug should have a hotfix 2 days after the mtg release...

• 2Like
Reactions:
This is one of these bugs that really should prompt a big red flag to the developers and be moved to the top of the priority list. Because this literally breaks the game. The fact Paradox chooses to bury its head in the sand is unresponsible.

• 5Like
Reactions:
agreed. I love Paradox games and rarely complain but if anything deserves a hotfix, this does.

MtG was pitched to us all (and still is sold) as the definitive naval upgrade for HoI4.

More than two years after it was released it's still broken and the AI still can't build ships.
This applies to every subsequent patch and DLC with MtG.
Months after this bug report there's no timeline on a fix and no firm confirmation that it will be fixed.
Other more informed people above claim this issue has been repeatedly reported in the past.

The sad fact is, in my experience this is all just business as usual for Paradox.

But hey, warm up your wallet, a new DLC is out soon and we can have all this fun all over again.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: