Confirmed HoI 4 - HOI 4 - 1.10.3 - [aa89] - AI reset entire naval production after loading a save.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mr.Sega

Recruit
11 Badges
Jan 23, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
Description of issue
HOI 4 - 1.10.3 - [aa89] - AI reset entire naval production after loading a save.

Game Version

Enabled DLC
Man The Guns

Do you have mods enabled?
No

Description
After loading any save and skipping about in-game day, all ship (naval) production in AI countries is canceled. When you'll take control of AI country aftes this steps, you'll see three options:
1) AI Shipyards are not involved in any production.
2) AI building only convoys.
3) AI building new ships (without progress).
This bug occure only with enabled MtG DLC, without this DLC everything will be fine. No mods.

Steps to Reproduce
Reproduction Steps:
1) Load any save you have.
2) Skip about a day.
3) Use console "tag" or "observe" command to view what AI doing.

Upload Attachment
(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

• 16Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
The AI also cancels all ships in construction at the start of the game, and cancels ships put in construction by focuses.

• 8Like
Reactions:
Compilation of what was discovered in the older bug reports:

Confirmed this bug still exists in patch 1.10.3 and that the core issue is that the define ’PRODUCTION_MAX_PROGRESS_TO_SWITCH_NAVAL’ doesnt work at all. We know that whitout Man The Guns DLC there is a hardcoded value of 0.5 that overwrites the value of the define. So ai will randomly cancel ships at under 50% progress.

With Man the Guns enabled AI will randomly cancel ships at any progress, even at 99%.

The supposedly worked fine before patch 1.6, so patch 1.6 that was the naval rework patch destroyed ai capital ship production. :mad:

things that trigger this critical AI-breaking bug with Man The Guns enab

*) AI attempting a new design, even if the new design is worse and does not replace the best match the ships already in production of that role are all cancelled.

*) If any ai_strats for role types are enabled/disabled. This wipes all ship production usually.

*) If resource availability changes, often due to buggy logic loops in trading, this cancells some production randomly.

*) When the refitt bugs trigger and take up dockyards for 1 hour.

*) When the nr of dockyards fluctuate due to repairs.

*) Sometimes when you reload a save.

So the AI cant really do anything without getting all its ship production randomly wiped way before its able to complete a capitol ship. This has been widely reported here since patch 1.6 landed.

When is paradox going to fix this game-breaking bug?
And paradox please note that the solution is not to fix any of the listed actions, simply fix the define.

• 20Like
Reactions:
This is a worrying report.

So much so that I ran some basic in game tests with my current game - I was unable to reproduce the issue.

I am currently running 1.9.x however, according to OP, this shouldn't make a difference.

Current play through as Germany.
Reloaded, let game advance 2 days as Germany, tagged England and France, checked naval production and they had not cancelled naval production after reload. Tagged back to Germany, skipped forward another two days, tagged back, and naval queue was the same for both England and France.

See screens from England below. I used these because they're clearest.
You can see in particular the Hawkins Class Cruiser has been building for a long time.
I've been doing a lot save-reloading on this play-through, so if this bug was active, the Hawkins Cruiser shouldn't be anywhere close to that far built.

I'm not trying cast doubt on anyone's good work reporting this (annoys me when people do that).
I see from @stjern post and OP that it seems this has been around for a good while.
I was just worried how it was impacting my current game and (thankfully) cannot reproduce the bug.

Any comments?

20210205105026_1.jpg

20210205105104_1.jpg

Last edited:
This is a worrying report.

So much so that I ran some basic in game tests with my current game - I was unable to reproduce the issue.

I am currently running 1.9.x however, according to OP, this shouldn't make a difference.

Current play through as Germany.
Reloaded, let game advance 2 days as Germany, tagged England and France, checked naval production and they had not cancelled naval production after reload. Tagged back to Germany, skipped forward another two days, tagged back, and naval queue was the same for both England and France.

See screens from England below. I used these because they're clearest.
You can see in particular the Hawkins Class Cruiser has been building for a long time.
I've been doing a lot save-reloading on this play-through, so if this bug was active, the Hawkins Cruiser shouldn't be anywhere close to that far built.

I'm not trying cast doubt on anyone's good work reporting this (annoys me when people do that).
I see from @stjern post and OP that it seems this has been around for a good while.
I was just worried how it was impacting my current game and (thankfully) cannot reproduce the bug.

Any comments?

View attachment 677934

View attachment 677935
Well, may be it's not about reloading, but if you enter the game, choose ENG, enter "observe" with cmd command, and you'll find that the ai canceled all its naval production.The pre-set heavy cruisers and carriers are all canceled.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I tested reload in 1.10.3 and yes, it resets all AI naval production. Do you have MTG? There are indications, that it is broken only in DLC

Note: I tested it with EAI enabled, but I don't think EAI affects that

Reactions:
Ok... so I'm not sure if this is just me, or if this is the whole bug? Of my few tests so far (not broad enough to be sure) the only time I see AI cancelling all Naval Production is at the start of the game?
I cannot recreate this:

After loading any save and skipping about in-game day, all ship (naval) production in AI countries is canceled.

Further to my above screens, another reload a month later and naval queues are still intact:

Test:
-reload game (march 1940)
-advance several
-pause
-tag England then France
-check naval production, confirm it is unchanged
-enter 'observe' command while watching France, advance another few days
-confirm again naval production is unchanged

result: naval production is not cancelled.

Production at reload:

20210206075605_1.jpg

20210206075551_1.jpg

Production days later after tagging and observing remains unchanged, for example:

Notice the date (7 days later), I advanced several days before tagging France. I then advanced several days on observe (observe icon in French flag).
Naval production was not cancelled.
Notice in particular battleship production is the same:

20210206075354_1.jpg

English production several days after reload, without observing:

Again, naval production not cancelled:

20210206074442_1.jpg

HOWEVER, what I can re-create is a completely terrible game-breaking bug on GAME START where all naval production is cancelled:

Test paramaters:
- Start new game as Germany
- Tag England
- Check naval production
- enter observe mode
- confirm all naval production is immediately cancelled by AI when game is unpaused

Test results:
On '36 game start the English naval queue is ~3 pages long and the majority of ships are near-complete:

Here's just one page:
20210206075737_1.jpg

A few days later (all naval production cancelled:

20210206075916_1.jpg

I find this an appalling game-breaking bug that should be a first priority to fix.

But, in my tests this does not appear to be true:

After loading any save and skipping about in-game day, all ship (naval) production in AI countries is canceled.

I can't replicate from 'any save', only game start (which is still completely game-breaking).

Happy to be wrong about this, but also happy it doesn't seem to be happening quite as described in my current game.

I tested reload in 1.10.3 and yes, it resets all AI naval production. Do you have MTG? There are indications, that it is broken only in DLC

Note: I tested it with EAI enabled, but I don't think EAI affects that

Yes I have MtG.

Reactions:
I just ran a few further tests on 1936 game-start.

Started game as England, went to observe mode. AI cancelled almost all naval production (much of it near-complete). However... tagged Germany a few days later I noticed German AI had cancelled the battleships, the near complete Type II subs and pocket battleship, the some (not all) destroyers

... BUT it had not cancelled not the Hipper Cruiser Cruiser, or the 1934A destroyers (4 of them).

... ALSO in it's list of new production was a Bremse Class CL ... one of the most useless ships it could build... why?

This cancelling of naval production on game-start (and possibly elsewhere) is completely game breaking.

And while this extra detail is probably irrelevant (this needs to be immediately fixed either way) the issue does not appear to be quite as described:

I just ran a few further tests on 1936 game-start.

Started game as England, went to observe mode. AI cancelled almost all naval production (much of it near-complete). However... tagged Germany a few days later I noticed German AI had cancelled the battleships, the near complete Type II subs and pocket battleship, the some (not all) destroyers

... BUT it had not cancelled not the Hipper Cruiser Cruiser, or the 1934A destroyers (4 of them).

... ALSO in it's list of new production was a Bremse Class CL ... one of the most useless ships it could build... why?

This cancelling of naval production on game-start (and possibly elsewhere) is completely game breaking.

And while this extra detail is probably irrelevant (this needs to be immediately fixed either way) the issue does not appear to be quite as described:

I uploaded video on YouTube:
All mods disabled, all DLC's enabled, loaded save from my today's AI vs AI testing.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Here's a further screenshot from my current playthrough as Germany. Reloaded today, tagged USA, observed, results are the same as my above tests, naval queue is not cancelled. Screenshot is several days after reload having been on observe with USA since unpausing.

@Leinad965, your video clearly shows the issue. But again, I've thankfully not been able to recreate the issue mid game. I have been able to confirm it at the start of the game (which is still completely game-breaking) but no where else. I don't doubt the video or other tests done, hopefully this helps to isolate the issue.

Several days after reload...

20210207060358_1.jpg

I started a game as Uruguay, fast-forwarded to 27th January 1937, checked what the UK and USA was building:

20210206234011_1.jpg
20210206234024_1.jpg

Then I reloaded the save as Uruguay, fast-forwarded to the next month, and checked the USA and UK again:

20210206234202_1.jpg

20210206234215_1.jpg

• 9Like
Reactions:
@mikwarleo Please read my post again before you attempt further testing. The actual culprit is probably not the reload itself but triggering of the other things I listed very likely for some countries when you reload.

• 5Like
Reactions: