Hearts of Iron IV - 29th Development Diary - 16th of October 2015**Read OP before posting**

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Do ideologies have any advantages such as communist getting better espionage?
not inherently as ideology, but usually though focuses and such.

Reactions:
How come the political actions list you have "Justify Wargoal (political power, 250)" Does this refer to "cost political power" takes "250 days" ? it seems a bit confusing. As it cant really cost 250 since the tab says 50 political power cost + 0.2 for 250 days (which is 50), so 100 total. Another thing, i feel like it would "help" to have the total cost in political power shown but it may be because i havnt played the game.
I mean it could say something like: Wargoal will cost you 100 political power. 50 political power up front and then 0.2 per day (daily?) for 250 days
Yeah, it look strange.

its just a calculation bug I think

Reactions:
  • Annexing or taking non-core territory is much more expensive for Democracies.
non-core ... so there are such a thing as cores then. At the start of the game, does anyone have cores in a foreign country and does that give them a casus belli?

Also, on the diplo-screen you see the option of "Boost party", does that increase support for the ruling party ( possibly increasing national unity, good for helping failing allies ) or is that for creating/boosting popularity for a party similar to your ruling party ( preparation for coup, possibly making it easier to add to faction ) ?

And how easy is it to swap between factions, if I like to change from Axis to Allies let's say. Is it different for a member or a leader of a faction, does anyone else become a leader then or is it disbanded?

Can I bring in a whole minor faction into my greater one? Whole "Northern Lights" ( nordic ) into Axis for example?

Can I have a one-man faction? Does being in a faction grant you new diplomatic/military options? Does other nations treat you differently?

If a faction leader declares war, are the other members forced to join? If member attacked, are other members forced to join, is the leader?

Is the increase in tension due to Justifying wargoals chance based, like EU4, or do you always get more tension?

... so many questions! :D

Last edited:
Reactions:
How much can you exploit the democracy can't declear war with democracies?

If a country becomes a democracy in the middle of a war, what happens?

What happens if a democracy declear war on a non democratic country who is in a faction with democratic countries?

Can you do some conquest and then change to democracy to avoid possible retrubution?

Reactions:
No flaming, honest question here: how many times has that happened?
Pretty often...
As far back as the early 1800s democracies have been DOWing other democracies (the early napoleonic wars, war of 1812, the british ultimatum, pretty much any war between constitutional monarchies like great britain can be considered a war between democracies).

The whole Democratic Peace Theory is a load of bullshit.

Reactions:
The whole Democratic Peace Theory is a load of bullshit.

not really during the 10 year span of hearts of iron though which is what we are modelling

Reactions:
not really during the 10 year span of hearts of iron though which is what we are modelling

10 years is nothing... And besides even then there were cases of democracies attacking other democracies even without provocation (the UK occupying iceland for one, and bombing finland for another)

Reactions:
Maybe my question got buried, so I will ask it again. What are the odds of the AI going ahistorical in things like wargoals and peace deals?

Just accept it's done for game balance reasons. This sounds like a fight you are not going to win.

There's plenty of way to balance the game without outright railroading it like this. You could have the people be disatisfied with fighting another democracy causing you to spend fuhrer mana to get them on your side, for instance. I really dislike outright making things impossible, if you want to make certain things rare, then increase the cost of doing them, don't just make it impossible.

Reactions:
Johan said:
So what does a faction do? A faction is a group of nations that can call on each other when fighting a war, and if a nation is overrun while in a faction, they are not eliminated entirely until the faction leader is forced to a peace-conference.

@podcat: With this statement about nations not being eliminated, does this mean that there will be Governments in Exile?? Will these Governments continue to fight if they can??

Reactions:
I think it a mistake to have to wait 6-12 months to justify your wargoal. Why? The game is for a max of 10-15 years, so you won't start too many wars in that time frame if this is so. So I'm GER and I'm preparing to invade SOV. But there is suddenly a need for me to send troops to North Africa. Do I need to start a wargoal, wait 6-12 months before I can invade? Surely this is wrong. A country should be able to respond to unexpected events and not have to create a wargoal to respond.

It is good that there can be more factions.

Are Democracies somehow more "pure" than Communists, why are Democracies treated differently, it is only an ideology afterall. So what if they need to keep their electorate happy. They can LIE can't they, in the same manner that the Communists do. For a Modern Day Scenario, where Democracies often invade countries on a whim (and go away and leave them devastated), surely the need to have a wargoal is now going to stop the prospect of a Modern Day Scenario ever being made?

Can this wargoal be changed by a modder?

While I am here: Can I send airplanes from an aircraft carrier, attack a port, or attack troops in a province, and then return to the aircraft carrier?

Thanks, looking forward to the results of your hard work.

Reactions:
Very nice! That said, I still don't get the reasoning behind 'democracy can't attack democracy' restriction. Why is it there?

Will it be moddable?

Reactions:
Are Democracies somehow more "pure" than Communists.

Eeeh, yes? Its completely apeshit ridiculous to argue anything else during this time period.

Does this mean that even in HoI 4 it will be impossible to make an Anglo-German alliance? Disappointing.

no, it can be done :)

Reactions:
I think it a mistake to have to wait 6-12 months to justify your wargoal. Why? The game is for a max of 10-15 years, so you won't start too many wars in that time frame if this is so. So I'm GER and I'm preparing to invade SOV. But there is suddenly a need for me to send troops to North Africa. Do I need to start a wargoal, wait 6-12 months before I can invade? Surely this is wrong. A country should be able to respond to unexpected events and not have to create a wargoal to respond.
The DD clearly says the Axis doesn't need wargoals if they're already at war.

Are Democracies somehow more "pure" than Communists
As Podcat says: er, yes? In, like, every possible way?

, why are Democracies treated differently, it is only an ideology afterall.
Yeah, freedom is "only an ideology" and that life in the US was really as horrible as in the USSR during the 40's. Glad we got that cleared up.

So what if they need to keep their electorate happy. They can LIE can't they, in the same manner that the Communists do.
You don't see freedom of speech, press freedom and the ability for people to protest and vote making a difference here?

Reactions: