Hearts of Iron IV - 29th Development Diary - 16th of October 2015**Read OP before posting**

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
But there is a problem here: Great Britain tried to invade Norway during WW2, even tough both were democracies. Germany simply was faster. How can situations like that ever work in the game?

Perhaps if Norway is still in the "neutral" ideological spectrum ingame it can be attacked by democracies? remember democracy is one of the 3 ideologies in HoI4 witn neutral added as a 4th

Reactions:
This sounds good. I especially like that other factions may be created.
Say if norway, denmark and sweden forms a faction. What kind of faction rules apply then?

Also, this sort of sound like the end of 'Paint the town grey'? If even axis needs a long time to justify wars.

Axis special rule means they only need to justify agaisnt the first nation, once war is ongoing they dont need to justify it to their population anymore. Example: Hitler needed to argue for poland, but not so much for Belgium etc.

Neutral factions like that exist but dont really get any perks like the rest.

Can national focuses be made/modded in that get around democracies being unable to declare war on other democracies?

Also, do justifications ever expire?

they expire yes. If you get wargoals from focuses that bypass any other rules (allowing say UK to declare war on norway). This is a general thing for focuses - they allow special stuff to happen outside the rest of the rules.

Why are Democracies not 'allowed' to start a War on other democracies?

It just makes sense, the people wouldnt stand for it. Its the kind of thing fascists do. If you want to do that then you try to change your country.

No flaming, honest question here: how many times has that happened?

also this

Reactions:
So glad war declarations are being loosened up. Always annoyed me that in HOI3 if I wanted to do anything ahistorical I had to use the console.

Reactions:
No flaming, honest question here: how many times has that happened?

This is true, but how many Fascist countries declared war on each other? I think there was something of a Russian/Chinese border friction at some point, but in general Communist countries didn't do it much either.

they expire yes. If you get wargoals from focuses that bypass any other rules (allowing say UK to declare war on norway). This is a general thing for focuses - they allow special stuff to happen outside the rest of the rules.

Ok, that's good :)

Reactions:
Axis get no cost reduction but are instead allow to declare war without justification if they already have a war ongoing.

Just to clarify because I'm slow: So before ending a war I had a justification for as an axis member I could simply start another one without any penalties and chain them or do I get some sort of increased cost? (World Tension, Peace, etc.)

Just to clarify because I'm slow: So before ending a war I had a justification for as an axis member I could simply start another one without any penalties and chain them or do I get some sort of increased cost? (World Tension, Peace, etc.)
Tension impact scales with current tension you have caused, so if you keep doing bad stuff it will be noticed.

Reactions:
Thank you for the quick answer. Looking forward to see the new faction mechanics! All hail the glorious zero-f*cks-given-complete-isolation-faction :D

Reactions:
It sounds really stupid, but the UK is still a democracy, even when at war with Germany? They didn't have elections in 1940, and had the war continued in full into 1945, they probably wouldn't have had them then, either.

Reactions:
Can you change your faction current war?

So can you start as Axis Germany, conquer a whole lot, but later on (maybe in a lossing war) change into a democracy? Of course you have to do alot of precautions, because this won't go fast.
But if you did them, and sparked a democratic revolution in your own land while at war, what happens?

But there is a problem here: Great Britain tried to invade Norway during WW2, even tough both were democracies. Germany simply was faster. How can situations like that ever work in the game?

Not quite. There was a plan, that is true, but no real indication that an invasion of Norway would occur even if opposed. In the end the sum of things was mine-laying.

Reactions:
It sounds really stupid, but the UK is still a democracy, even when at war with Germany? They didn't have elections in 1940, and had the war continued in full into 1945, they probably wouldn't have had them then, either.

Yes, the UK was a democracy, albeit one ruled by a coalition government. For example, Winston Churchill went through several parliamentary votes of no confidence which, had they gone against him, would have resulted in a new government being formed.

Reactions: