Hearts of Iron IV - 20th Development Diary - 14th of August 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I feel like the weight of the mechanized division is a bit too low compared to the infantry division.

Let's say that the average man of ww2 weighs 150 lbs (wild guess) so 9300 men in the infantry division would weigh total ~ 1.4 M pounds

Now the armored division already has 7300 men so thats not much smaller, total > 1 M pounds right there. But then take the T-26 tanks which weigh 9.6 tons each, so 300 of them alone weight 5.8 M pounds - 5x the weight of the infantry division's men alone. Then there are the 200 trucks on top of that... the 8 artillery in the infantry division would I suppose weigh less than 1 truck each.

So instead of only being 50% heavier I feel like it should be at least 5x if not more.

They might be talking about another type of weight.

Reactions:
Will we be able to depose Stalin and welcome Trotsky back to the Soviet Union? If so will this remove the ability to sign the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact? What effect would this have if it is possible in-game? I'd love this ability to completely change history and it seems like it would be easy to implement.

Reactions:
They might be talking about another type of weight.

Yes, I am sure it's an abstract unit of weight but I imagine it would be used for determining how many transport ships you need in order to load the unit aboard a fleet - and thus is why I think it's important the ratio between the units are more strictly represented to simulate the significantly increased effort/requirements needed to transport armored divisions vs infantry

Reactions:
Yes, I am sure it's an abstract unit of weight but I imagine it would be used for determining how many transport ships you need in order to load the unit aboard a fleet - and thus is why I think it's important the ratio between the units are more strictly represented to simulate the significantly increased effort/requirements needed to transport armored divisions vs infantry
If it is weight for transport, then isn't space quite possibly a bigger concern here. Tanks and trucks can be disassembled and packed closer, where people tend not to like being put into crates.

Reactions:
Will we be able to depose Stalin and welcome Trotsky back to the Soviet Union? If so will this remove the ability to sign the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact? What effect would this have if it is possible in-game? I'd love this ability to completely change history and it seems like it would be easy to implement.
Yes, Stalin being deposed and Trotsky taking his place a possible outcome that has been implemented. It comes at a steep price, however, as Trotsky will execute many Stalin loyalists if he gains enough support to come back. However, Stalin will also have to go about his paranoid purges to keep this from happening. Being a general or minister in the Soviet Union at this time is risky no matter who is in power.

Reactions:

Some sort of volumetric "weight" as you could probably fill up one of the contemporary freighters with heavy iron ore without sinking them. So this example 10 ton tank would add moderately to volume but its real weight is not that important, whereas the space accomodations of troops like food, sanitary installations, breathing space - however rudimentary on such a voyage - is more of a concern.

edit: darn you gameisart, you beat me by 7 minutes !!!!^^

You can't really disassemble a tank, other than take the turret off. But you are right - weight takes both space and tonnage into account. It is a bit abstract because it is used in determining number of transport ships and planes (assuming the equipment is air droppable).

Yes, Stalin being deposed and Trotsky taking his place a possible outcome that has been implemented. It comes at a steep price, however, as Trotsky will execute many Stalin loyalists if he gains enough support to come back. However, Stalin will also have to go about his paranoid purges to keep this from happening. Being a general or minister in the Soviet Union at this time is risky no matter who is in power.

This means i will be adding no personnel to my government...just design companys(?) until the purge is completed, i would hate to waste political power recruiting an expert only to purge him the next week..ohh the tears when it happens to someone for the first time ;). Does this mean i am evil?o_O

Really happy that the Soviet Union has the option to pursue the Dardanelles! The dream will never die!

Why is "Reconcile with Japan" required for "Claim Sinkiang"?

Japan and the USSR should be on friendly terms to agree to a partition of China maybe?

Last edited:
Reactions:
I'm sorry but what exactly is the Trotsky plot? I'm not exactly an expert on Trotsky or early Soviet History in general, but wasn't Trotsky already exiled by 1936?

Reactions:
You can't really disassemble a tank, other than take the turret off. But you are right - weight takes both space and tonnage into account. It is a bit abstract because it is used in determining number of transport ships and planes (assuming the equipment is air droppable).
I was actually thinking about artillary when I mentioned disassembly, I should have said that.

I literally got to "Trotskyite plot" and stopped reading.

Really?

What a load of BS.

Now ill finish the DD.

Reactions:
Shouldnt a division have 9000 weapons instead of 900?

its "packages" of weapons and equipment to keep numbers manageable.

Does your market studies showed that paradoxians have a problem with zeroes ? I don't understand how/why 900 should be more simple or "manageable" than 9000 ???

Why implement weapon production in HOI4 and then don't assume it using abstracted numbers ? I really don't get it !

Why one rifle means 10 rifles but 1 tank is really 1 tank ?

Last edited:
Reactions:
And where is my Beria and Bagration? *throws a hissy fit*

More stuff to mod *sigh*

Reactions:
What the supression modifier does for units? And what the adjustments in the motorized division mean?

Reactions:
Do choosing one focus exclude all others? i mean, historically in Soviet Union happened both the great purge and the expansion to the west... do choosing "the great purge" focus exclude the possibility to claim bessarabia, baltic states, and so on?

Reactions:

Crisis averted.

Thats still ridiculously unrealistic. But ill live with that. That does sound extremely cool.

We need some Laventry Beria too. Trotsky and Beria together, should have ridiculous intelligence/espionage bonuses.

Reactions:
Thanks for a nice & informative DD.

When looking at the 'Unit Details' it would seem that you have selected Stats tab. I would like to see what the Template tab shows.

Yes, I am hopeful that it would show each battalion, with its current equipment strength, types & model of equipment & battalion names/number (10th Tank Bat.).

Something like this down to the Battalion level:
87kd37dnb84yc4ezg.jpg

Reactions:

That is amazing! I'm really glad and genuinely surprised that PDS is delving so deep into the alternate history possibilities for HoI IV's timeline. It's shaping up to be a lot better than I first expected.

Reactions: