Hearts of Iron IV - 20th Development Diary - 14th of August 2015

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Would be hugely interesting if a civil war broke out in the east while I played as Nazi Germany. I could choose to weaken the USSR by backing the opposing factions, and then jump into the thick of it with a declaration of war when I had the Red forces as "distracted" as possible :) .

Just as it would be good for US to have a second civil war when playing Japan, isn´t arguably saying much is it?

Civil wars are crippling events (in which case why the hell they would be easy to happen?) and there is reason why it happened in Spain. You need polarization tho happen and it´s a bit hard that it would happen to that degree in CCCP, above all after 1939 when the war was already rolling.

Ostensive support BEFORE the war happens is also a good way of making the government even more resilient. There is reason why Afghanistan was helped AFTER war started with CCCP, not before, I believe.

Again: what is plausible and even desirable in a game with 1920 start, isn´t really in 1936 start.

Reactions:
Does it make sense they have? We give cars to the police for a reason. Mobility is critical in reacting. So... Anyway minor value that is easy to change.

Given that partisans mostly hide in the woods and/or mountains, armoured vehicles are less useful than infantry to fight them, so that makes sense as motorized are less mobile in these terrains types.

When french "maquis" (partisans) tried to fight on open ground against regular german troops with tanks, artillery and air support they were crushed. They learned to stick with guerrilla tactics of small mobile troops using good terrain as deep woods and mountains.

Even the overwhelming US air power has today is somewhat ineffective to fight rebels in Middle East, you must have foot troops on the ground to fight guerrilla type of fighting.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Is there a possibility that Soviet Union changes its idiology somehow and becomes Fascist or Democratic?

Also, is it possible to release nations like Ukraine or Georgia (Which are not avaliable at the start of the campaign at all, but have a historical presence in that period)?

I wonder how will the focus tree change if that is in effect. For example, how can there be "Stalin Constitution" if Stalin is deposed by Leon Trotskiy.

Very surprising and impressive news overall.

figure_8.4.1.jpg

P.S. I hope some mod as Kaiserreich will come out for HOI IV, it will definitely be lots of fun to play around with alternative history with this in-depth focus system.

Last edited:
Reactions:
That makes no sense.

If you invest in partisan supressing with a better equipped division, the result should show. What you see in that screenshot is a better division having less than half the value of the worse division. That´s simply silly.

By your logic then mountaineers should have a supression of 16. Are you fine with that?

BTW "HOI 3 values" for mountain divisions were bad. So seriously, using "HOI 3 did that" is rather bad line of argument. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions:
That makes no sense.

If you invest in partisan supressing with a better equipped division, the result should show. What you see in that screenshot is a better division having less than half the value of the worse division. That´s simply silly.

By your logic then mountaineers should have a supression of 16. Are you fine with that?

BTW "HOI 3 values" for mountain divisions were bad. So seriously, using "HOI 3 did that" is rather bad line of argument. Just my 2 cents.
The suppression value as we see is proportional with the number of infantrymen.

Reactions:
Will any of the focus tree
Is there a possibility that Soviet Union changes its idiology somehow and becomes Fascist or Democratic?

Also, is it possible to release nations like Ukraine or Georgia (Which are not avaliable at the start of the campaign at all, but have a historical presence in that period)?

I wonder how will the focus tree change if that is in effect. For example, how can there be "Stalin Constitution" if Stalin is deposed by Leon Trotskiy.

Very surprising and impressive news overall.

figure_8.4.1.jpg

P.S. I hope some mod as Kaiserreich will come out for HOI IV, it will definitely be lots of fun to play around with alternative history with this in-depth focus system.

Actually, in the "Interesting Screenshott regarding India" it also been stated that flags and names change due to Ideology, and sometimes on puppet status. With that in mind, I don't see it as too far reached to think they would rename it as "Trotsky Constitution", etc.

They change on government ideology, and maybe puppet status (not certain on that one), so for example if the USSR isn't communist it won't be called the USSR but rather The Russian Federation/Empire etc. Similarly, if the Raj changes government it could as India instead.

That makes no sense. If you invest in partisan supressing with a better equipped division, the result should show. What you see in that screenshot is a better division having less than half the value of the worse division. That´s simply silly.

Having more heavy material is not automatically better for all purposes. It's better to fight against infantry or other armoured, not against guerrilla. Against guerrilla, at some point, the heavier you are, the less effective you are.

In HOI3, mountain troops (and even elite alpine and chasseurs alpins) had less suppression than regular infantry (0,67 against 1). That was not fine for me. They should have had at least the same value as infantry, plus their mountain bonuses.

BTW "HOI 3 values" for mountain divisions were bad.

I agree with you on that. Given that you invested leadership in that particular research field, the bonuses should have been more interesting.

So seriously, using "HOI 3 did that" is rather bad line of argument. Just my 2 cents.

Thats an unfair comment. I did not imply in any manner that HOI3 was the right model to follow. I just remembered you, as a fact, what suppression was meaning in HOI3 as you were asking what suppression was meaning !

Will any of the focus tree

Actually, in the "Interesting Screenshott regarding India" it also been stated that flags and names change due to Ideology, and sometimes on puppet status. With that in mind, I don't see it as too far reached to think they would rename it as "Trotsky Constitution", etc.

Can you link that screenshot?

Also, if ideology changes, some things must also change, such as cabinet and national decisions. How can you have Edward VIII as British head of state if there's communism? Or how is it possible to sign Molotov-Ribbentrop pact when Trotskiy is in command?

There is an analogy in EUIV, where Monarchy states can go for Aristocratic ideas, but for Republics the same idea tree is replaced by Pluralism, one is excluded in case of the different regime. This is common sense.

Last edited:
in Anti-Fascist tree I see it ended before 1941 Soviets. Is the screenshot cut? Podcat, can you attach the remaining Soviet tree?

But most soviet transformation occurred after Operation Barbarossa. There are some pretty interesting decisions in Soviets in war with axis. For example only in 1941,

1. Move industry to Urals
Lose some industry in soon to be conquered west and gain some in Ural region
2. Order no 227
It can add some defensive bonus to land forces.
3. Non-Aggression pact with Japan
Japan would not attack from East
4. Iran occupation
Opens the extra Lend Lease route

May be they can be done by events. Please attach the remaining so that I can increase my hype. :)

in Anti-Fascist tree I see it ended before 1941 Soviets. Is the screenshot cut? Podcat, can you attach the remaining Soviet tree?

But most soviet transformation occurred after Operation Barbarossa. There are some pretty interesting decisions in Soviets in war with axis. For example only in 1941,

1. Move industry to Urals
Lose some industry in soon to be conquered west and gain some in Ural region
2. Order no 227
It can add some defensive bonus to land forces.
3. Non-Aggression pact with Japan
Japan would not attack from East
4. Iran occupation
Opens the extra Lend Lease route

May be they can be done by events. Please attach the remaining so that I can increase my hype. :)

IMO, having a elite division in an area does not mean the troops actually would engage in partisan hunting. A commander would not "waste" a panzerdivison to comb out a area. A lowly police Unit would on the other hand regularly be used for that. So the value represents in my opinion the actual "willingness" or "expectancy" of certain troop types to do that and the resulting daily yield of suppression.

If the partisans rise and would risk open combat, the same panzerdivision would ofc be expected to combat these troops, but they wont be expected to actively prevent the uprising before.

Reactions:
You can't really disassemble a tank, other than take the turret off. But you are right - weight takes both space and tonnage into account. It is a bit abstract because it is used in determining number of transport ships and planes (assuming the equipment is air droppable).
Yes, but the Tanks, AFVs, and Trucks can be parked side by side...the actual men might like some room to walk around while they are sailing from Leningrad to the invasion in Southern England...

I have a game mechanics question:

You say that the Soviet Union begins with ~140 divisions, a number which will surely rise as the war continues.

How can the player possibly comprehend that many individual units without some sort of branching / tree structure? You could use hot keys, but 10 hot keys seems utterly inadequate for the number of divisions presented here.

Are players going to end up with band-selecting divisions and throwing them at some plan, because there isn't a more refined method of grouping and allocating them? Selecting all of one division type is useless, because you'll have standard infantry divisions on every corner of the planet.
Just looking at the screeny it looks to me like
1) They are sorted by type (Unless for some reason all 11 Armored Divisions were selected after the 126 Infantry Divisions).
2) They also seem to be sorted by quality (I think that is what we decided the 'shamrock' was for. (Unless all of the Soviet divisions are green...which might be possible).
3) Those 138 divisions are the entire Soviet Red Army at the start of the game...are you really going to be stripping everything from your borders to use them all...or are you gong to be selecting just the troops on one (or your many) border for an attack?

So to answer your last question...if you are going to be launching the planning for an invasion from 1 JAN 1936, then yes...you are going to have to use 'band-selecting'. Or at least it looks that way to me.

Please paradox...ignore the micro fanboys who want to go back to the horrible HOI3 OOB system.

Reactions:
Yes, Stalin being deposed and Trotsky taking his place a possible outcome that has been implemented. It comes at a steep price, however, as Trotsky will execute many Stalin loyalists if he gains enough support to come back. However, Stalin will also have to go about his paranoid purges to keep this from happening. Being a general or minister in the Soviet Union at this time is risky no matter who is in power.

I'm a little hesitant about this. You call Stalin's purges paranoid, and yet, apparently, if you don't do them, then Trotsky will necessarily come into power?

Which one is it? I feel like this is a poor solution to the purge question.

I liked the Stalin constitution tree. This reflected the increase in Soviet capacity after many years of Revolution, Civil War, New Regime, Hunger, Purge, failed collectivization and co.