• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Absolute Crown Authority is a great advantage, but your powerful vassals might be dissapointed. Take care of dangerouse factions. In the Vladimir Empire (my ARR) it leads to a huge civil 10 years war

Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Four
The Years of Rhys and Salt
1376-1397

At the end of the year there is a great upheaval in European politics with the almost total collapse of the Holy Roman Empire under an incompetent Fane-Dover. Most of the vassals in the empire breaking away into various counties, duchies, and kingdoms away from the empire.
20210605114939_1.jpg

Back in Prydain, even before construction was complete on the University it was already attracting many scholars from across the medieval world. These scholars would attribute the construction to Rhys and give him the nickname of 'the Scholar'.
20210605115059_1.jpg

Rhys and Phyllis would have their second child, Deheuwant.
20210605115502_1.jpg

Dionysios would call Rhys to help him deal with another revolt, but having realized that his in-law was a heretic declined to help him and leaves him to whatever fate to befall him.
20210605115737_1.jpg

The Holy Roman Empire does pull itself together a bit with the overthrowing of the Fane-Dover and the installing of Pavel Yurievich as Holy Roman Emperor.
20210605115850_1.jpg

A war that he does join is to help his daughter-in-law, the duchess of Portucale, with a revolt of her own.
20210605120221_1.jpg

The revolt is small though, so small that only one army is sent to aid her and siege down the rebel's capital.
20210605120309_1.jpg

Safe to say that it didn't last very long.
20210605120327_1.jpg

In Rhydychen, the university is complete after five long years of work on it. To this day, the university is still running and still attracts students from all over.
20210605120346_1.jpg

Dionysios puts down the revolt but that doesn't stop many of his Orthodox vassals from splitting off from the Empire, especially now that his family converts to his heresy. (They haven't converted in this picture, but do at a later date and I didn't get a picture of it.)
20210605120455_1.jpg

Rhys would begin to rely on Phyllis more and more in his later years, often being seen accompanying him on his journeys outside of Eryri.
20210605120614_1.jpg

Their son, Cadwared would come of age at this time. He was very much shy like his father was, but unlike his father who was content with things, was ambitious and was known to silently brood. Besides that, he was known to have knack with money, even if it was considered average.
20210605120645_1.jpg

Cadwared would be married to the young princess of Galicia, Andregoto Pedrez, continuing the ties that Prydain had with the Kingdom of Galicia.
20210605120745_1.jpg

Galicia would call Rhys to war shortly after. The Emir of Asturias invading the kingdom for it's capital of Coruna and it's holy site there.
20210605120829_1.jpg

Three armies would be called up for this war, two landing at the capital and one landing in Coruna to liberate the area before marching to Leon.
20210605120952_1.jpg

20210605121041_1.jpg

As they march to Leon, they learn that the Asturian army was just south of them having recently sieged down another castle. The army changes it's direction and marches to meet them in battle.
20210605121113_1.jpg

They catch them just outside the hills of Braga, fighting them in a close battle that sees the Asturians fleeing by the end of the day. The battle was close though with casualties on both sides being close.
20210605121146_1.jpg

20210605121208_1.jpg

The war doesn't last long after this battle, the Emir surrendering and giving up his conquest of Coruna.
20210605121304_1.jpg

Towards the end of Rhys' reign, many scholars at the time would note that the Pendragon started to act strange, moving from task to task lifelessly and automatically. During an infamous assassination attempt where an arrow just barely grazed past his head, he barely reacted to it and continued about his day like nothing had happened.
20210605121458_1.jpg

Indeed, it seemed that the luster of being the Pendragon had left him during the last years of his reign. This depression would last for the rest of his life and nothing would be able to shake him out of it, not even his wife would be able to.
20210605121528_1.jpg

But life goes on and the King of Galicia calls him into another war. This time it was Galicia going on the offensive for the city of Viscaya in Basque country against the second Muslim power on the peninsula.
20210605122042_1.jpg

Four armies would be raised, three of them landing in Aquitania while the fourth one lands in Asturias again with the Galicians, landing right in a battle that they were fighting and losing, being forced to flee to Aquitania where they would stay with the rest of the army.
20210605122241_1.jpg

20210605122354_1.jpg

The Welsh are able to siege down Aquitania unopposed until they get to the castle at Bayonne to get into Iberia. The Muslim attack them at Bayonne and a large battle commences. Both sides would take large casualties, but the Welsh would win and be able to cross back into Iberia.
20210605122714_1.jpg

20210605122725_1.jpg

But shortly after the battle, back in Eryri, Rhys would suddenly die while holding court. It isn't exactly known what killed him, but modern scholars believe that it was heart failure that killed him.
20210605122913_1.jpg

At 26, Cadwared is crowned the new Pendragon and declared Cadwared III. Immediately, he inherits a bad situation as many of his vassals disliked the new Pendragon and the war in Iberia was still ongoing. Not even gifts of gold could get his vassals to cooperate.

Things looked like it could get very bad for Prydain.
20210605123057_1.jpg

Cadwared might face a strong vassal opposition that could lead to a civil war. My advice is to end all ongoing wars and concentrate military forces and gold for paying them. Absolute Crown Authority is a dengerouse institute.

Oo, time to see what these vassals are made of! Turmoil is frustrating when playing, but there's little chance of it not at least making a good story.

Interesting developments here, this should make for a good story!

Here we gooooo! Time to see if these Vassals can throw a punch or not!

The Years of Rhys and Salt
oh dear god

But I liked this update. Europe looks like a mess; hopefully Prydain won't become part of it.

Looks like somebody got the reference...
Yeah, I tried getting into that book a few years back. It was a hard read. Not enough maps. Maybe I'll reread it now that I'm a bit older.

(I love that book, fwiw.)

Yeah, I tried getting into that book a few years back. It was a hard read. Not enough maps. Maybe I'll reread it now that I'm a bit older.
I thought it was an okay book. For a story who's main deal is that 99% of Europe dies from the Black Death, it barely focuses on it and the changes it would see.

So, the most recent update for CKIII has broken the Prydain save game.
Castle garrisons no longer spawn so that Muslim war was pretty easy and the revolt does happen, I think only one didn't join the revolt, and with no castle garrisons the revolt won against me almost instantly. Reverting back to the previous version didn't seem to fix this issue.
The save game has been a bit broken already, the Scandinavians no longer has any hair and parts of Kola aren't owned by anybody, but this completely breaks the save game.

Oh that’s a shame to hear. Is there any hope of a workaround so the story can continue?

Oh that’s a shame to hear. Is there any hope of a workaround so the story can continue?
If there is I don't know of any. I heard there will be a patch for this but who knows how far off that is.
The best option might be to cancel this and start from scratch?

Would it be worth skipping ahead to the EU segment? We’re practically in the 15th century as it is, so it wouldn’t be too great a leap – perhaps with a bit of save-editing/console work to compensate for the lost half century in between games?

Would it be worth skipping ahead to the EU segment? We’re practically in the 15th century as it is, so it wouldn’t be too great a leap – perhaps with a bit of save-editing/console work to compensate for the lost half century in between games?
I definitely could and I suppose we are close enough to do it. Someone would have to teach me how to edit a save though cause like I've said a few times before, I have never modded anything by myself before.

It’s been a long time since I’ve done any modding work, but I do remember there being some very helpful guides around the place that go through the steps. The EU4 wiki has this page, for example, which is part of a wider modding guide

So I got the CK3 to EU4 converter from steam and extracted it to my computer, but now I have no idea what to do. It doesn't explain to me how to go about actually converting a CK3 save file to a EU4 mod.
help.JPG

Just some file folders and application extenders.

I’ve never used the converters so unfortunately I can’t offer any direct help, but @Idhrendur may well be able to if you ask nicely :D