Governor Policy utterly broken

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
They are already:

I agree though that the game doesn't do a good job with communicating their likely choices - and those initial automatic decision being static isn't good as well (I adresses that in my suggestion I linked in my pervious post)
I did not know that! Thank you.
I guess those traits are so rare (and they're not in the job selection screen - unlike relevant traits in the general selection screen), that I never know the impact.

They are already:

I agree though that the game doesn't do a good job with communicating their likely choices - and those initial automatic decision being static isn't good as well (I adresses that in my suggestion I linked in my pervious post)
That is indeed interesting, but you pretty much have to look it up in the Wiki...

It seems to me that there are two problems with how policies are chosen. One is that governors don't change their policies based on changing conditions. The other is that some of those weights are poorly balanced. Borderlands seems to be the worst offender, +10 for having any territory with 15 freemen is far too much. A governor with both zealous and pious would not choose religious assimilation over borderlands unless he also had at least 5 zeal. A governor will only choose cultural assimilation over borderlands if he has 21 finesse! The only policy that can really compete with borderlands is encourage trade which gets +10 for having a governor from the boni or traditionalist parties. I think both those modifiers should be reduced to +6 at the very least. Borderlands should probably also be affected by whether the province is a borderland.

Reactions:
Borderlands seems to be the worst offender, +10 for having any territory with 15 freemen is far too much.
The province-policy algorithm is indeed not woke to the matter of the meaninglessness of manpower output.

This makes a lot of sense in theory, but in practice it doesn't give the player any information and thus agency over the governor-province-policy relationship. If I could, for example, see a tooltip breakdown of why that governor chose that policy for that province on the province screen, I could use that information to pick a governor that would favor the assimilation policy, for example.

As it is, it might as well be random because I have no idea what I can do when picking a governor to affect the outcome.

It's like the RPS combat in the game. It adds depth. If my opponent has a culture with a lot of archer levies, then I can recruit units that counter archers to my levies. But if the game never showed me that units counter other units and in what ways, even if it still functioned like that under the hood, the element of strategy would be entirely removed.

Ok, I should clearify what I mean by “paying attention to who you make governor”.

I don't mean that you can find people that will pick the policies you want, I just mean that you can pick people that you’re pretty sure won’t need to be replaced for a long time, thus reducing the risk of having a governor reassignment undercut any of the province policies you have changed in the region after installing this last governor.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think part of the problem for something like the Religious Conversion policy is that there are no positive modifiers for when a province is not sufficiently converted. There's only the -10 modifier if all territories have the same religion as the governor, but adding for example a +4 modifier if at least 1 territory has the wrong religion, a +6 if at least 2 territories etc. would help balance it with the other policies.

Reactions:
I wrote this in the thread about rebellions in response , figured this is a better thread to discuss it:

. A sensible and useful choice of governor policies is not just something needed for AI nations but should also apply to all governors in a player nations (needed to reduce micro).

Now, managing provincial policies is at best frustrating and at worst impossible if you need PI for other things.

Even if the algorithm used for picking a province policy is objectively improved and even made to dynamically adapt over time and whatnot -, the auto-assign can never suit everyone in every situation - it can't be perfect!

Thus, the means for the players (and AI's) to mitigate that imperfection is an important part of the design. currently, that design is that its very costly to frequently assign policies manually in many places - and the less competent and long-term dependable the governor is, the less beneficial it is to do that, with respect to both micro and more importantly - PI.

Yes one of many annoyances, especially when combined with other annoyances as getting 0.3 Tyranny penalty for changing each governor policy (why I never could figure out as the UI never told me), a lack of an automated option that applies preset policies e.g. when loyalty is low, and the general lack of political infuence (PI) awarded by the game which blocks changing policies, and others.

Empire Management?
loyal? Yes convert / No harsh
converted above 75%? No Convert / Yes assimalate
assimilated above 75% No Assilimalte / Yes what ever u want
how to set? use something like Stellaris Policies!

Govenor?
Modifiers to selected Province policies!

i don't know why the hell i should care, about a provice after i set the right policis
and choose the the govenor? it is useless micromanagmet.

For all that want this micro use the same option like
Allow Trade or not
follow provice policy or not

lg

Last edited:
Reactions:
This is why I rarely appoint old governors to regions I care about because once you've changed the policy of a young governor, that policy will remain the same until they die.

Reactions:
The whole policy system probably needs to be revamped or at least at tooltips which tell you policy a governor will chose. There needs to be more logical reasons for why a governor chooses a policy especially making it impossible for a province that doesnt border any hostile countries to chose borderlands. Also it would probably be a good idea to have the existing policies condensed and have a tab that shows you province information. As for how much control the player should have I think there should be a button that lets you recommends a policy which makes it more likely that a governor choses that policy depending on their loyalty.

Reactions:
Governor policies are just a PI sink, just let the player choose the policy he wants, it has to be better than the arbtitary system we have now. It's like barbarian spawns and pirates, they're tired mechanics that add nothing to the game except frustrate the player with micro-management.

Now, that's not to say Gov policies are a bad idea, they're not, but having to go around every few years wasting PI changing back to the gov policy you want isn't fun, it isn't engaging, it's just a chore. The same way the barb spawn has you trying to raise troops in time to rush over and save a huge loss in civilization, where the only realistic way to deal with it is too have a fort in every single province where barbs could enter, because obviously ZOC doesn't help here. Pirates, same dea. adds nothing to the game except tedious micro unless you're happy to watch them keep raiding your provinces.

Gov policies are not a total waste of time, they're actually useful and add depth to the game, but some facets of their implemation need to change, barb spaws and pirates are just a waste of the player's time and need to go, especially barb spwans.

Reactions:
Gov policies are not a total waste of time, they're actually useful and add depth to the game, but some facets of their implemation need to change, barb spaws and pirates are just a waste of the player's time and need to go, especially barb spwans.
barb spaws and pirates add flavor and a representation of historical events. We could have them abstracted as an event window but the game developers have implemented them in game with nice graphics and integrated in the mechanics.

I agree with you that the integration may be not very fun, but I do not want them to disappear, on the contrary, I would like to develop their mechanics to make them more fun.

On the other hand, If the player does not want to bother with these issues, the game could give you the option to automate the governor region to fight off their Pirates and Barbarians.

Reactions:
barb spaws and pirates add flavor and a representation of historical events. We could have them abstracted as an event window but the game developers have implemented them in game with nice graphics and integrated in the mechanics.

I agree with you that the integration may be not very fun, but I do not want them to disappear, on the contrary, I would like to develop their mechanics to make them more fun.

On the other hand, If the player does not want to bother with these issues, the game could give you the option to automate the governor region to fight off their Pirates and Barbarians.

If they can't make them fun and interesting then they should be removed, because at the moment they're a complete PIA, and are simply irritating busy work. There's plenty to be managing and developing without chasing barbs and pirates around. They're mechancics which serve no purpose whatsoever, I don't think they add any flavour either, they're in the game because they existed at the time, that's not flavour, that's representation, and representation that actually detracts from gameplay.

Reactions:
Even if the algorithm used for picking a province policy is objectively improved and even made to dynamically adapt over time and whatnot -, the auto-assign can never suit everyone in every situation - it can't be perfect!
it doesn't need to be perfect, but can and should be good enough.
Users have many ideas how to do it (@Vexurius here or @Herennius in an own thread.)

Reactions:
Is it just me or are Governor policies just utterly broken. They constantly switch, when you switch governors which is already stupid but to make matters worse, the policies the governors choose instead make no sense whatsoever.

For example the governor of Magna Graecia (the southern part of Italy) ALWAYS (at least as long as provincial loyalty isn't a problem) seems to chose the UTTERLY useless "Borderland" policy, just because his provinces are coastal, I presume? I mean apart from the fact, that the policy is utterly useless even IF he would be ruling over a borderland province, why is the algorithm so broken, that it thinks coastal = border? Pretty much ANY other policy would be more useful, so if the AI is not able to choose a semi-decent one, for all that is holy make the players choices permanent for that province. It would also take away a lot of tedious work having to go through all provinces after a governor change just to set the policies right again (something you can't reall afford right now anyway).

I disagree strongly with the idea that Governor Policies are "utterly broken". The mechanic is a good one. There are, however, two serious problems with it.

Firstly, it is clear from this thread that players do not understand how governors are choosing policies. This is a documentation/UI problem.

Secondly, the AI's choices are primarily driven by role-playing considerations and only to a limited extent by optimization. My guess is that this is a deliberate choice (because AI characters acting according to their personality traits is supposed to be a major part of the game), but the pragmatic fact that it's quicker and easier to script than optimize may have appealed to the devs too, given their limited time.

That [The fact that Governor policies are chosen based on certain factors] is indeed interesting, but you pretty much have to look it up in the Wiki...

I think that depends heavily on play style.

If (like me) you are mainly a role-player, you are paying attention to your governor's personality traits and the choices are somewhat intuitive (e.g. miserly governors choosing Bleed Them Dry). And you don't mind too much if they choose policies that are sub-optimal for the state as a whole, because in real life people often make choices that are good for them, not for everybody. Weighing up whether it's worth spending political influence to change things is exactly the kind of decision I want to make.

For other play styles (e.g. minmaxers trying to get achievements ASAP or multiplayers who need to click quickly and move on) the approach that the devs have chosen does not work so well. If you are rushing to get your armies into position for such a reason and your governor's policies are fueling a rebellion elsewhere, it may seem that the game is just making bad choices and imposing them on you. Several players in this thread have said that they want the AI to optimize much more than it does now

Different players will lie at different places on the spectrum between personality-based choices and optimization-based choices, but it's a trade-off. If Imperator had CK-style Game Rules, then it would be possible to accommodate both groups that way, but we have no reason for thinking that is a possibility in the near future.

The usual Paradox solution to varying preferences is "make a mod". But the problem is that the status quo is more personality-based and I suspect that the players who want more optimization are often those collecting Achievements, so they cannot mod this problem away. If the base game was better optimized, it would be much easier for players like me to mod in personality-based policies (especially since we could just cut-and-paste from the current script).

It seems to me that there are two problems with how policies are chosen. One is that governors don't change their policies based on changing conditions. The other is that some of those weights are poorly balanced. Borderlands seems to be the worst offender, +10 for having any territory with 15 freemen is far too much. A governor with both zealous and pious would not choose religious assimilation over borderlands unless he also had at least 5 zeal. A governor will only choose cultural assimilation over borderlands if he has 21 finesse! The only policy that can really compete with borderlands is encourage trade which gets +10 for having a governor from the boni or traditionalist parties. I think both those modifiers should be reduced to +6 at the very least. Borderlands should probably also be affected by whether the province is a borderland.

These examples are very helpful because they show that the existing mechanic works and the policy choices could be optimized far better than they currently are. Which leads us to the conclusion that:

it doesn't need to be perfect, but can and should be good enough.
Users have many ideas how to do it (@Vexurius here or @Herennius in an own thread.)

I agree that there is a role for forum users doing some thinking and testing to work out how the AI's choices could be optimized better. But I think at the end of the day we are going to have to try to persuade the devs to allocate some of their time to revisiting the current AI modifiers. Making a mod to improve things might even be counterproductive, because PDX teams are usually very reluctant to just copy script from mods (even though they have every legal and moral right to) and no mod will help the players who want it most.

However, one point I would emphasize to the devs is that this is 'AI' work that Content Designers can do. It may that the process of optimization reveals that some new modifiers or other scripting tools are needed, but I think 90% of the work would just be editing common/governor_policies/00_default.txt and then seeing what happens in-game. It doesn't require any more knowledge of C++ than writing an event. In fact, Content Designers' knowledge of historical choices and the game map probably means that they could do this better than the coders.

Last edited:
Reactions: