• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
An interesting direction upon the nature of Donald Trump in this timeline :p

a map of the world pleeeeeease!!! :D
T9iY6mq.png

Things that might be interesting:
French Algiers: a Francophone northern Algerian state mirroring OTL Israel's settlement policies against Sunni Arabs.
Unified Korea: a national populist puppet state of Russia.
Gran Columbia: probably being plagued by civil war and drug cartels.
Bohemia-Slovakia: split but I forgot to cover it.
Enjoying seeing the Syndicalists bringing a bit of direct action to Prussian politics!
Someone needed to call Walenstadt out on his bad policies.
That alliance is irresponsible and dangerous! Looking forward to it!
Russia surely isn't happy with it.
Wouldn't the Syndicalist in this, same as the Nazis in our timeline, be heavily discredited or even outright banned?
Just like Nazism isn't banned in France, syndicalism isn't banned in Germany, but it's still a pretty controversial movement.
An interesting direction upon the nature of Donald Trump in this timeline :p
Many people forget that Trump in his early years was quite different from now. Sure he had some of the same characteristics, but remember he did bounce between the Democrats and the Republicans a couple of times.

What was the result of Zionism in TTL. Perhaps some Jewish autonomous zones in Syria to deal with the inevitable issues?

Some interesting developments in Germany

Interesting that Taiwan is independent. Under which party/ruler?
I'm not really specialized in Taiwanese politics. I can just say that the country is officially called 'The Republic of Formosa' in this timeline. As in our timeline, mainland China claims the island, but Formosa has the backing of the US military to remain independent. Politics on the island would probably see the mainstream ideologies, in addition to a Formosa nationalist party which is against integration into China and a pro-China party who is campaigning for integration into China.
What was the result of Zionism in TTL. Perhaps some Jewish autonomous zones in Syria to deal with the inevitable issues?
So that big purple country spanning Syria, Lebanon, Israel/Palestine and Jordan is called 'the Levantine Federation'. It's basicly a federal state and most likely has subdivisions based on ethnicity/religion. So there would be a Jewish population who would enjoy a high level of autonomy.

As to the result of Zionism, I had four different points to consider in this timeline:
1) The point in time when the Kaiserreich-timeline differs from OTL is 1912 if I'm correct. Yet according to the mod's wikia, the Ottoman Empire seems to have done a bad job during the First Weltkrieg, just like in OTL, but due to a German victory they were not carved up in a Paris suburb treaty. The wikia doesn't mention anything about the Balfour Declaration, an important step in the creation of Israel as we know it today, but yet I have to assume that something similar happened in the Kaiserreich timeline. However, with the Ottoman Empire in control of Palestine after the war and not Britain, Jewish migration from Europe would most likely be more limited than in OTL. In addition, the Holy Land is subject to a bloody war in the late 1930s, which would probably further deter Jewish migration to the area. After the big Middle Eastern War, the Levantine Federation was set up, the Zionist movement in the region would probably turn into a movement calling for more autonomy for the Jewish entity that was established as a state in the federation.

2) There were never nazi's in control of Germany, but there was still a lot of antisemitism in this timeline (as pointed out by one of the news articles in the 1992 post). Jewish emigration from Europe to the Holy Land, or other locations away from Europe, would still happen, but would be much more limited than in OTL. The result is that people, who would normally be in the US or Israel, for example as a result of OTL WWII, are more likely to have remained in Europe. A prominent example in this timeline is German Chancellor Heinz Kissinger, who in OTL was forced to flee nazi-persecution and became one of the US' most well known diplomats and Foreign Secretaries.

3) Savinkov's Russia would most likely be known for its antisemitism. Russia in OTL was very antisemitic and often had pogroms. Besides the many Jews who fled nazi-persecution, there was also a big Jewish emigration in the USSR. In this timeline, something similar would probably happen after Kornilov and Savinkov take over and it would spread to Eastern Europe after the Second Weltkrieg. I think these refugees would prefer Western Europe and the US, who have proven to be democratic countries, over the Levantine Federation which is still an unstable nation and has a lot of differing ethnic groups all fighting for autonomy or power.

4) French Algeria has a large amount of Jewish citizens. In the aftermath of the conflict between Algerian separatists and French loyalists, a French puppet state was set up on the Algerian coast. With a large population of Jews, I could easily see that some Zionists would see this new Algerian state as a possible candidate for a Jewish state. So that's why I turned French Algiers into this timeline's alternative for Israel. Eastern European and Russian Jews, fleeing from national populist regimes, resettle in Western Europe and the US. Those who have settled in France could have easily seen the opportunity of Algiers and moved once again to establish a Jewish state on the North African coast.

To summarize, Western Europe and especially Germany still have large Jewish communities living there. Hardline Zionists will still have moved to the Holy Land and their offspring is probably now part of a political movement which wants further autonomy for the Jews in the Levantine Federation. Jews fleeing from national populist regimes in Eastern Europe and Russia most likely moved to Western Europe and the US, with more moderate Zionists probably preferring to settle in Northern Algiers in the hopes of turning it into a Jewish state.

I hope my logic isn't too farfetched, but I think that a Jewish state in this timeline is likely, considering the French would have needed an ethnic group which was considered indigenous to Algiers to support their presence in the region. I imagine French Algiers in the 1990s as a country which relies on the alliance between ethnically French and local Jews with European Jews acting as a sort of bridge between the two.

Some interesting developments in Germany
German politics at this moment in time is entirely dominated by Heinz Kissinger, who eagerly took advantage of the weak Prussian state and roped the country into the German sphere of influence to prevent it from falling back into Russia's hands. However, the next Prussian elections could easily overrule Germany's good relations with Prussia. Kissinger will have to back up his military actions with investments into Prussia's economy to lower unemployment and poverty.

Last edited:
The really interesting thing is that the Limburgs are unified. I cannot speak for the Belgian part, but the Dutch part has maybe some of the most distinct culture in the entire country, besides Friesland of course. And I have seen some call for Limburgish independence. Would be quite funny to see that happen, as I think it would be the bit of the country which was to most resistant towards French language education, with just being conquered by Belgium and all

The really interesting thing is that the Limburgs are unified. I cannot speak for the Belgian part, but the Dutch part has maybe some of the most distinct culture in the entire country, besides Friesland of course. And I have seen some call for Limburgish independence. Would be quite funny to see that happen, as I think it would be the bit of the country which was to most resistant towards French language education, with just being conquered by Belgium and all
I don't think that culture-wise they'd be much different from Belgian Limburg. Post-WW2 urbanization, suburbanization, increasing amounts of commuters etc., like in OTL, resulted in a more standard Flemish culture like we know it today. Elder people would probably still feel a strong connection to their regional identity, but younger generations would no longer take issue with learning French, as it gives them much appreciated advantages on the labor market in the 1990s and the coming 2000s. However, I am thinking about some kind of border deal between the Dutch and Belgium to sort out some of the issues that could be present in the most northern tip of Limburg.

I blame summer for me missing this until now. Been following all your AARs on this timeline, can't stop now. ;)

How the hell I missed it? Subbed!
I blame summer for me missing this until now. Been following all your AARs on this timeline, can't stop now. ;)
Welcome to the club! Next chapter should be out tomorrow. Another two ingame years until the next elections! I can't wait to see how things will change after that.

I haven't followed everything. Where are the Hohenzollerns chilling out at the moment? Last I heard of them they were fighting a 3 way war in Indochina against the Vietcong and an American backed regime

I haven't followed everything. Where are the Hohenzollerns chilling out at the moment? Last I heard of them they were fighting a 3 way war in Indochina against the Vietcong and an American backed regime
They lost that war to the American backed regime. In the 1970s, (current German Chancellor) Heinz Kissinger brokered a deal with the Indochinese to allow the return of German POWs to be trialled in Germany, the Hohenzollerns made use of the opportunity and fled to neutral Switzerland. In 1994, upon the death of Louis Ferdinand von Hohenzollern, Georg Friedrich became throne predender and asked for Prussian citizenship. His request was accepted and he currently resides in Posen in a cosy palace.

The beginning of 1995 saw a slight upturn in the economy, albeit only temporarily. Walenstadt’s investments in the industry had paid off in terms of reducing unemployment, in turn increasing the purchasing power of workers and strengthening the internal market of Prussia. The actions of the Syndikale Aktion calmed down as a result, as they become more focussed on organizing themselves politically. International trade, however, did not look so bright. Prussia was running a trade deficit and the debt to both the US and Germany was increasing. Politically, the Prussian government was about to take on one of the biggest remaining lingering threats from the Volkspartei-era. On the January 20, Minister of Justice Greta Gersdorf announced that the effort to dismantle and disarm the Knights of the Teutonic Order, the Volkspartei’s paramilitary organization which often acted as a security and intelligence service, had been completed. Their activities had been taken over by the Volkspolizei, the local polices forces, and Staatssicherheit, a new more transparent security service, was set up to investigate serious threats, but always backed by court orders. In addition, anyone could submit a request with the government to check if the former Teutons had files on them. The act was widely hailed as good news, but Adolf von Thadden of the Junkerpartei pointed to the fact that hundreds, if not thousands, of former spies and security officers were now unemployed as there were no guarantees to follow them up and provide them with new jobs. Not surprisingly, the newly established Staatssicherheit soon detected that some of the recently unemployed Teutons had founded a new organization; Patriots of the Teutonic Order. Their intentions were still unclear, but soon Prussia would be shocked by their actions.

In March, sad and disturbing news arrived from Königsberg. President Freya von Moltke had been found dead in the Presidential Residence. A report was quickly leaked to the press by one of the police officers working on the case:

Bodyguards found the President dead at her desk at 8:37 AM Thursday March 16, police called to the scene.
Police arrived at 8:51 AM and closed off the scene for forensic investigation.
Medical examiner arrived at 9:12 AM and determined a gun shot to the head at point blank as cause of death.
President von Moltke was killed in the hours between 7:00 AM, when her housemaid woke her up, and 8:37 AM, when her bodyguards found her.
No traces of the murder weapon on the scene, no signs of a break-in by force, no footprints left behind. President von Moltke obviously victim of assassination by a skilled expert, possibly former army or intelligence service.​

The report shook the nation and rumours quickly arose that the Patriots of the Teutonic Order were behind this. The President was given a state funeral, attended by most national politicians of Prussia. Only Adolf von Thadden was noticeably absent, citing health issues as the reason for not attending the funeral. After the usual period of national mourning, the question to von Moltke’s successor was raised in Parliament. After much discussion and debate, Johann Birt, a prominent diplomat, was chosen as the 4th President of Prussia. In the wake of the debate, the Junkerpartei once again questioned the system of the Presidency and if it was really necessary to elect a ceremonial position in Parliament and waste valuable time that could be spent on debating the real issues at hand. And once again, in some ranks of the Junkerpartei there was a proposal to replace the Presidential system with a ceremonial Monarchy and reinstate the Hohenzollerns as Kings of Prussia. This marginal, yet influential group would soon get the chance to take over the Junkerpartei and their official narrative.

e1Y2n3m.jpg
Prussian President Johann Birt.

On May 21, Junkerpartei leader Adolf von Thadden suffered from a stroke. He was able to recover, but was forced to resign from his position as party leader. Internal party leader elections soon followed. The race quickly became a struggle between the more moderate Herbert Kiebitz and the staunch monarchist Johann Korwin-Mikke. Junkers, worried that the old Kiebitz would soon kick the bucket and send the party back into the chaos of a leadership struggle, elected the younger Korwin-Mikke as their new party leader. Korwin-Mikke soon redrew the party along more pro-Hohenzollern lines and called for a wider revitalisation of Prussian values and history. His appointment was not without controversy however, as he was soon quoted in the press with the following statement: “two bums from under a beer stand have twice as many votes as a university professor”, supposedly an attack on democracy as it currently stands.

uxLYji9.jpg
Johann Korwin-Mikke, new leader of the Junkerpartei.

In June, the findings of the investigation into the late Freya von Moltke’s murder were made public. An unemployed former spy, who had previously worked closely with Riefenstahl’s personal security branch, and was thus familiar with high profile security operations, had infiltrated the Presidential Residence in the night of March 16 and waited until the President was awake to assassinate her. The spy was arrested and charged with a prison sentence for life. Further investigation pointed out that he was affiliated to the Patriots of the Teutonic Order, an unsettling discovery which made many wonder how Staatssicherheit was going to deal with this new threat. Chancellor Walenstadt called in the help of German security experts, who were more than eager to help out their Prussian colleagues under the terms set in the alliance between Prussia and Germany.

mjw6yUG.jpg
Prussian Volkspolizei as they arrest the murderer of President Freya von Moltke.

By December, Minister Viktor Kress’s programme to modernize the Prussian agricultural sector had been completed. Officials predicted an increase in productivity to soon follow the much needed updates and upgrades. As the year began to close, Minister of Science and Education Wolfgang Thierse of the SDP announced a programme to make the emerging Internet more accessible to private users and businesses alike. Thierse recognized the possibilities of the World Wide Web and hoped that someday the Prussian economy would thrive from Internet-driven industries. For now, all he could do was provide an infrastructure for individuals and companies who wished to explore the virtual world which was emerging.

mxO74HY.png

As 1995 ended, Prussia’s economy had become more stabilized. Unemployment was dropping again and foreign debt was still increasing, albeit at a much slower rate. The political field had been shaken up drastically, with the death of President von Moltke and Adolf von Thadden’s retirement from national politics. Next year would probably mark the beginning of the campaigns leading up to the January 1997 elections which could mean an end to the current government formation.

International news:

AyP2Kw6.png

Honestly, the only way for Prussia to remain seperate is to embrace monarchism, even if the government that comes after one that restores the monarchy is more to the left. The continuation of the republic will mean, in the long run, reunification with Germany

Man, that's a turbulent few years. Worrying also to see so many signs of far-right organisation. Here's hoping that gets nipped in the bud.

@SibCDC

I approve of this turn of events. I also love the part with the Teutonic Order ending up as some shadowy, secret police/shadow government organization. I mean, it kinda turned into such after the Old Prussians were pacified, but still.

@J_Master

Agreed. 100%