• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Did you check the release note? Some quite interesting modding features were added (which I don't understand the least bit anyway lol) :)

Yes, they could help us by making historical events.

noir, with the new update, the files you gave me for the vanilla use aren't usable anymore, any reason for that? i haven't dropped around here for a while let me check if you have an updated version of your mod too XD

edit: also it seems that your files overwrite some of the new additions in the vanilla, for example, i noticed that the new "hire random courtier" doesn't show up when i tried to install the court files you made in a mod folder

Last edited:
Thankx very much Nasaleus for clearing this up! It's not a very neat design though.

It's better than you think, tbh - at first it seems a little sloppy and cumbersome, but it's actually a very good randomizer. The main problem is that it makes it very hard to ever be certain when something will fire, as it's never absolutely certain - and the longer the MTTH, the more imprecise the firing will become.

The biggest problem is trying to figure out 'I want this to fire every six months or so' into a MTTH value.

noir, with the new update, the files you gave me for the vanilla use aren't usable anymore, any reason for that?

What do you mean with the word usable? Does my file brings CTD, or it doesn't appear at all in game?

edit: also it seems that your files overwrite some of the new additions in the vanilla, for example, i noticed that the new "hire random courtier" doesn't show up when i tried to install the court files you made in a mod folder

The random courtier event is in the imperial court events txt of vanilla. I have changed that file before the 1.4 release, so the event doesn't exsist in my mod. I will add it in the next version of this mod again.

Please report which (other) content of the ver.1.4 doesn't exist in this Genpei mod. It would be very helpful.

Last edited:
The biggest problem is trying to figure out 'I want this to fire every six months or so' into a MTTH value.

For character events, it is quite easy.

Set MttH to days = 1 or something like that and add an invisible character modifier as timer in the effect to stop firing that event in the next 6 months.

What do you mean with the word usable? Does my file brings CTD, or it doesn't appear at all in game?

The random courtier event is in the imperial court events txt of vanilla. I have changed that file before the 1.4 release, so the event doesn't exsist in my mod. I will add it in the next version of this mod again.

Please report which (other) content of the ver.1.4 doesn't exist in this Genpei mod. It would be very helpful.

for the files:

well, i made them into a mod, and used it, but i don't see any of the new additions in it implemented. For example, the Rank system that you made, it doesn't work, again, this might be because i'm using the 1.4 version which might be slightly incompatible with the file's content.

Regarding the Random Courtier Event:

I see.

and I will keep you notified if I notice any other differences :]

For character events, it is quite easy.

Set MttH to days = 1 or something like that and add an invisible character modifier as timer in the effect to stop firing that event in the next 6 months.

Yup, you can do much the same with provinces using an event modifier too. Of course, this way will fire every six months without fail, with maybe a 3 day variance; having one that fires between 5-7 months is trickier. You'd also need to use an immediate = { } around the modifier to ensure that you don't get repeat firings.

This can be a very handy way of doing cyclical events, incidently - like harvests, in sengoku, tho we use something very similar in V2 mods for political leaders (we have no characters), population growth and for economic states (the stock market). As I say, you can PM me for anything else that seems to work weirdly - I'm rather enjoying the simplicity of Sengoku as a break from Viicky, but it strikes me as having great potential for a modding scene and you currently seem to be the major modder here. If you can avoid spending literally months trying to figure out random stuff (we had this for things ilke population promotion and demotion, which are thankfully absent here) by just asking, then it's all to the better.

I'm rather enjoying the simplicity of Sengoku as a break from Viicky, but it strikes me as having great potential for a modding scene...

I completely agree. Sengoku is a great white map for the modders.

About seasonal events, I am just making heavy snow events. An AI character gets the opening event in November or December, which decides how many snows in this winter. If the event has decided the heavy snow, it sets a global flag and tells to the player that information. With this global flag provinces will easily get the event about the heavy snow, which I have shown in this thread. In Feburar or March an AI character will also recieve an event telling the end of the winter which resets global flags. With this way we have snow events in every winter.

brilliant idea there noir.

i still think it's quite needed though that we can an option to assign commanders to armies, levies and retinue alike. this will open up lots of options. for rewards and promotions [if a regular cortier then becomes a kokujin, if a kokujin, gets an extra kori/is able to request one] THIS will also make the "send me proper samurai" event make sense!

i still think it's quite needed though that we can an option to assign commanders to armies, levies and retinue alike. this will open up lots of options. for rewards and promotions [if a regular cortier then becomes a kokujin, if a kokujin, gets an extra kori/is able to request one] THIS will also make the "send me proper samurai" event make sense!

I guess we can't assign commanders as we wish. It seems to be hardcoded. On the other hand, it would be nice that ambitious courtiers make a plot to get a kokujin title.

pitty.

also, regarding your message, thanks for the morale boost haha.

i tried to send you this as a PM but it says that you can't accept anymore PM's because you reached the limit or something like that.

and how can i get the files over to you? i placed about 10-12 clans.

i also checked the "bookmarks" section that you told me about, i couldn't understand one thing in it, so i just ignored it and build the current map on the 1551 scenario

pitty.

also, regarding your message, thanks for the morale boost haha.

i tried to send you this as a PM but it says that you can't accept anymore PM's because you reached the limit or something like that.

and how can i get the files over to you? i placed about 10-12 clans.

i also checked the "bookmarks" section that you told me about, i couldn't understand one thing in it, so i just ignored it and build the current map on the 1551 scenario

I will send a PM to you.

Ver. 0.461 is released.

I had changed the personality traits. Please check their effects and the game balance with them. They are not the final version, so I am waiting for your reports!
If I could get enough feedback from you, I will add my divided clans mod to this Genpei mod.

Thank you mate, I'll try it more in depth when I come back - visiting family and stuff...

Introducing divided clans mod would indeed make the mod even better - it's a bit hard now to win against the big guys.

What do you guys think?

Thank you mate, I'll try it more in depth when I come back - visiting family and stuff...

Introducing divided clans mod would indeed make the mod even better - it's a bit hard now to win against the big guys.

What do you guys think?

Please also note that soran is making the Sekigahara scenario (starting in 1600) for this mod. ;)

What do you guys think?

I think the Divided Clans is the mod we should use as default in Sengoku. However, the clans are still too big imo. Clan ITO should not start as part of the Shimazu for example, the same goes with the beige Uesugi, too big.
As far as I remember the Daimyos of Echigo went to Kenshin to ask for help against Shingen, that means the Echigo Province of Shogun 2 (which encompasses several Kuni in Sengoku) was not unified yet at the end of the Onin wars. I think there's a HUGE room for improvement in Divided Clans once these things are fixed. Might add that Ouchi seems too big and Mori is missing (again I am taking S2 as coparison). I think Chat could create more clans, Theoretically, since I am more into the Shimazu, I'd give them the starting Kuni of Osumi and Satsuma, then would put Ito in Hyuga with Hongo as assimilated clan leader (while now he's endorsed in Shimazu as "simple" Daimyo.

Can't really say about other clans, but it looks to me in the comparison between the 2 games, in Sengoku the big blobs (Ouchi, Hosokawa, Ishiki, Toki etc) seem to contain these clans that could be "liberated" thus making smaller blobs. If you consider it costs honor to declare war, this would make the game better with more long lasting campaigns and periods of relative peace.

Still... I would love to mod but I am totally at zero with file structure. The defines.lua is there but I have no clue on how for example the Divided Clans files interact with the vanilla files so I can't proceed...

I wish Chat wasn't so involved in the Genpei Mod because the Jidai is a much more entertaining and challenging period... it's not bad ... it's just that I am 0 in Genpei period history so I can't help much.

But I installed the .46 now ;)

Did the guys with 1.4 add the building limiters?????

S2 and Nobunaga's ambition are not good examples at all when man considers the situation 1467. Uesugi breaked after the Onin war when some leaders failed to manage their large territory, however the clan members in Echigo province were involved to the main branch of the clan (Yamanouchi-Uesugi) even after that.
The Mori in 1467 was also the number 3 or 4 in Aki province beside Takeda, Kikkawa, Kobayakawa, Shido, Kumagai and others. We can't simply adopt the common knowledges in the 16th century to the 15th.
On the other hand, some clans should be more divided. Ogasawara in Shinano, and Shimazu in Hyuga (as Gshock mentioned) are the targets.

Maybe many of you only know Japanese history in the 16th century, but I would like to say the Genpei and Nanbokucho periods were also dynamic and fascinating eras. Isn't it sad for you Euorpean people if I said "I really love the Hundred Years War in the 14th century, but I don't know about the Crusaders in the 11th and 12th century. I also have no interest on the 30 Years War or Italian Renaissance, so I won't play games handling these periods."? (In reality, I do love the entire Euopean history. If not, I would not have been in Germany to study it. ;) )
In this mod I would try to represent how other periods in Japan were than the well known 16th century, and the Genpei War is a good start line for this purpose. This era is also important to make ancestors of the characters in the 15th century or 16th. Mori Motonari should have Oe Hiromoto in the Kamakura period as his ancestor, and the family tree of Ashikaga Yoshimasa should be descent from Minamoto Yoshiie in the 11th century. Of course I will try to add scenarios in later periods, but the basic game systems should be work well both for 1180 and 1600. And I believe we need no radical change for each period when we could build a well built generic system about the military or economy.

Last edited: