Fallout's Doomsday 2.5.1.2 for Darkest Hour (latest release: 22-04-2023)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey I don't have HOI2 anymore, but I was wondering if there was a site where I could get info on this project. Despite the fact I have always hated HOI as a strict war simulator, I liked several of the ideas in FODD, from the last time I played like the FUSA. Really liked the FUSA, and I want to try and understand how the mod was conceptualized and put together because I'm looking to build my own Fallout scenario, but in Civ 2 Test of Time. There there are multiple maps and that might allow for Bunker, Vault, cave and Dungeon crwaling, maybe some hero unit mechnaics. But I want to take inspirtation from this mod. But I need to understand what it was and what it became, and why.

Like even the most basic question is: how much lore did FODD take from 3 and 4? Cause last time I played the game, Washington DC was the capital of the FUSA, and the FUSA inclided Boston, the Congress was head of government, while the "Joint Chiefs" were head of state, and I liked that setup way more than what I got in FO 3 and 4, although I don't think the 2 are incompatible in borad strokes. I'm wondering what you ended up doing.

Even a good map of the factions as of the last update would go a world of good, cause I can at least look through the text files and piece together what these factions where about.

Hello! I feel silly posting this bug now as it happened months ago and I've got no details about it other than it happened while I was playing spiders. I forgot about it and all I've got is the picture I intended to post months ago but lost focus of it.

Hi, Dr. Intolerance!

I have not found the origin of this bug so far but I'm looking out for it. Been a bit busy with some other features. Will take a deep look when I can.

February 18th, 2018. That's the last time I did anything related with DH. So no, nothing really. I just happened to check the thread and see that bug posted.
The last thing I remember doing was looking for possible causes of the map bug and concluding that was an issue with the map itself (so, outside my area of expertise). Either that or some AI is attempting an illegal movement. And a little before that, something Boston related.

Damn that map bug, man. I think I have an idea to fight it, but nothing solid.

Hey I don't have HOI2 anymore, but I was wondering if there was a site where I could get info on this project. Despite the fact I have always hated HOI as a strict war simulator, I liked several of the ideas in FODD, from the last time I played like the FUSA. Really liked the FUSA, and I want to try and understand how the mod was conceptualized and put together because I'm looking to build my own Fallout scenario, but in Civ 2 Test of Time. There there are multiple maps and that might allow for Bunker, Vault, cave and Dungeon crwaling, maybe some hero unit mechnaics. But I want to take inspirtation from this mod. But I need to understand what it was and what it became, and why.

Like even the most basic question is: how much lore did FODD take from 3 and 4? Cause last time I played the game, Washington DC was the capital of the FUSA, and the FUSA inclided Boston, the Congress was head of government, while the "Joint Chiefs" were head of state, and I liked that setup way more than what I got in FO 3 and 4, although I don't think the 2 are incompatible in borad strokes. I'm wondering what you ended up doing.

Even a good map of the factions as of the last update would go a world of good, cause I can at least look through the text files and piece together what these factions where about.

The mod used to have a site, but that was long long ago.

The mod was originally conceptualized by Doomtrader and later picked up by SwordOfJustice and then he passed the torch to me.

FODD actually pre-dates 3 and 4, the original mod was made in the early 2000s.

From the original concept I remember, the idea was that

so, uhh... is the mod officially dead, then?

More like "sleeping".

That said, I've been quite active at modding it lately. I want to release something in the next few days - its not as big as I wanted it to be, but its something.

For example, here are the two things I've been doing the most for the moment:

1. Trying to fix the balance of the American Civil War and then testing my solutions.

2. Researching resource placement. I don't want to just lay some resources at random with no discernment, I want to do something with a real-world basis. This is a post-apoc sci-fi world not a fantasy one after all. Been researching and gathering lots of links.

For example, recently I've just finished doing Arizona, and I've tried to pretty much purge "useless provinces" by adding resources - mostly a mix of rare materials (representing Uranium here for the most part), Metals (representing Copper mainly) and energy (representing coal and hydro mainly), with some manpower sprinkled around, and very few industry. All these deposits are as realistic and as strategic as I could go with.

(the copper thing is a bit funny because I've been thinking to myself if Copper should be Metal or Rares)

Btw, if anyone reading this knows something that is useful for the mod, do tell.

Btw, if anyone reading this knows something that is useful for the mod, do tell.
hi, this is not help, but rather a "cart" of offers and "Wishlist" (may come in handy):
In my opinion, it would be nice if local war appeared in the mod (for example, a task to seize your area) or something like a campaign (phased formation of coalitions) ... It is strange for me to see how the country expands more and more with the provincial nationalization - here I would like to see the war, not on the absorption of all countries in a row, but on submission (vassalization + maybe in a few years a decision to unite myself and a couple of marianettes in one new state) + some uprisings, otherwise they captured the habitat of a ghoul or super utantov simply nationalized them.

So in the odd chance this ever gets updated (I sincerely hope it will), I would like to suggest changing the descriptions between Professional and Scum mercs (to give a better grasp of their strategical uses, as it is an either/or decision), and to make them upgradeable between each other or to Irregulars, for the sake of Barter Mercenaries.

In case it goes back, or someone decides to pick it back up, I would like to comment on the state acquisition mechanic. As neat as it is, it completely overshadows the occupation mechanics (occupied TC, manpower, dissident, IC, etc), and thus, all the occupation ministers, techs, and etc. Due to that, building up your IC in your national provinces is also rather irrelevant, as you can just conquer a IC rich area and very soon have it integrated in your empire. So I think maybe this should be limited only to the provinces where your capital is (maybe the exception of a few factions, like FUSA), the rest should be treated as occupied permanently or delegated to some puppet.

Furthermore I strongly encourage to play with Techteam Takeover on. Some factions have permanently small techteam pools, and while some sort of "limited techteam takeover" would be neat, it doesn't exist, so you're better off erring on taking everything than having to live with a single techteam the whole campaign (Marlon Brando).

Finally, not all factions with Slavery social politics get access to the slave market, which is kinda important. Also AI factions that do outperform factions that don't CONSIDERABLY, and it gets out of hand very quick on Blue Emu if memory serves.

Also AI factions that do outperform factions that don't CONSIDERABLY, and it gets out of hand very quick on Blue Emu if memory serves.
I'm missing what you're trying to explain here. From what I've played, factions that do the worst are Gecko, Khans, NCR, the Mutant Army, plus FUSA, and I'd really like to see these do better, well maybe not Gecko.

FUSA has too many locked armies, and NCR has an easy chance at getting their armored unit cut off from supply and swamped by monsters and bandits. Unlocking FUSA's troops at the civil war would save them, and as for NCR, I suggest adding some kind of brigade or creating a new one that caps the armor's speed so it isn't able to get too far ahead. The AI might just remove the brigade though.

All in all, I like what happens. It seems like a nail biter for many factions, can go one way or the other on seperate playthtoughs. For instance, that god machine in Canada seems to go 50-50 at wiping out the Calgary guys and whoever's to the south or they're(it) is contained to one deadly province. The Mutant Army is freauently in that position not giving up at all in Minneapolis but they do terribly otherwise.

I'm missing what you're trying to explain here. From what I've played, factions that do the worst are Gecko, Khans, NCR, the Mutant Army, plus FUSA, and I'd really like to see these do better, well maybe not Gecko.

I am trying to explain how the slave market might be somewhat broken for the AI on higher difficulties, as you will often see 50+ garrisons on OPMs because of the added manpower. For the player is neat, but as I mentioned, some factions, despite having slavery, don't get access to the market or its events. Sadly HOI2 engine is not too much into organic developments.

Hey everybody! I'm alive! Coronavirus didn't get me yet.

Surely you guys got some questions, lemme answer:

1. Where are you? You disappeared for five months!

Yeah I did, sorry. Did some developing in the early year, but later had to focus more on studying programming and work stuff.

Anyway, I got this freelance job and that took almost all my time. Then two things happened:

1. Laptop broke.

2. Coronavirus was confirmed in Belém since 18/03.

Took my computer to a bunch of techs for a while, until by April I sent it to some techs. Problem is, my laptop is, technologically speaking, an old machine - its 2013-14 tech. So some Technicians couldn't fix the motherboard, and its so old I can't just order one from the internet.

Its still being fixed. I hope its fixable, or else I will have to buy a new one (or at least an used one), and that's not gonna happen until this whole corona mess ends.

I'm a programmer so that really fucked my work plans too.

2. So, where's mod release and when?

In my hard drive. When is "When I get my computer back."

I took long because I wanted a meatier release. What I had was mostly bugfixes and AI modding.

Wake up, Slaughter! :D

I'm dead.

But I'm doing great for being dead!

Almost disappointed there is no "This guy died of the New Plague, I mean Corona." Speculation. I mean c'mon. I wanted to do a triumphal return and such.

Oh, congratulations by the way.

hi, this is not help, but rather a "cart" of offers and "Wishlist" (may come in handy):
In my opinion, it would be nice if local war appeared in the mod (for example, a task to seize your area) or something like a campaign (phased formation of coalitions) ... It is strange for me to see how the country expands more and more with the provincial nationalization - here I would like to see the war, not on the absorption of all countries in a row, but on submission (vassalization + maybe in a few years a decision to unite myself and a couple of marianettes in one new state) + some uprisings, otherwise they captured the habitat of a ghoul or super utantov simply nationalized them.

Like focus trees or a mission system? Funny you say that, I have some notes on that subject. Like, literal paper notes.

Re: Local wars. I'm a bit limited by the map not having enough provinces in NA. Also, the way HOI handles rebellions. But I will take it in mind.

I actually have ideas for countries doing diplo-annexing. Do you know any good examples in mods? My problem with diplo-annexing is that I want the player to work for it. The best example I know is Anchluss.

So uhhh... any updates? @Slaughter

Not yet, kinda hard to update without a computer.

So in the odd chance this ever gets updated (I sincerely hope it will), I would like to suggest changing the descriptions between Professional and Scum mercs (to give a better grasp of their strategical uses, as it is an either/or decision), and to make them upgradeable between each other or to Irregulars, for the sake of Barter Mercenaries.

I plan on making them separate unit types. Make Scum mercs into the "Irregulars" of mercs.

I do need a good division icon. I got some resources from other mods, courtesy of their makers, so I wanted to see if they had something that could do it. Something that screams "This is a bunch of criminals and thugs."

In case it goes back, or someone decides to pick it back up, I would like to comment on the state acquisition mechanic. As neat as it is, it completely overshadows the occupation mechanics (occupied TC, manpower, dissident, IC, etc), and thus, all the occupation ministers, techs, and etc. Due to that, building up your IC in your national provinces is also rather irrelevant, as you can just conquer a IC rich area and very soon have it integrated in your empire. So I think maybe this should be limited only to the provinces where your capital is (maybe the exception of a few factions, like FUSA), the rest should be treated as occupied permanently or delegated to some puppet.

Furthermore I strongly encourage to play with Techteam Takeover on. Some factions have permanently small techteam pools, and while some sort of "limited techteam takeover" would be neat, it doesn't exist, so you're better off erring on taking everything than having to live with a single techteam the whole campaign (Marlon Brando).

Finally, not all factions with Slavery social politics get access to the slave market, which is kinda important. Also AI factions that do outperform factions that don't CONSIDERABLY, and it gets out of hand very quick on Blue Emu if memory serves.

Yeah, I have some problems with the way it works, too

For example, the criteria for how they work is often arbitrary. Arcangelus was moving towards s better model, based on % of owned state/region land. So I ran with it.

In my internal version, I wasgetting rather good results I liked so far. Stronger more cohesive nations. More wars. I went with 50% of a state to annex and 360 days offset.

I actually want to make more use of occupations mechanics. Honestly, of a lot of mechanics. I have notes on computer for it. So I was doing a lot of playing with some HOI mods and vanilla to see how they do it.

I agree about the occupation mechanics. I think the real problem is that we don't have "coring" mechanics in any of the Europa Engine games, except CK. Cores are rigid, only changing by event. Our implementation is an improvisation.

I agree with you about the snowball effect. My future plans, once I finish seeding the map with resources and nations, include a concept of "refugee events".

In short: Conquering a nation leads to its original provinces losing a certain % of its original resources. This would then be redistributed to another nation(s), one similar and close to the conquered one, as off-map resources. For example, if New Reno gets conquered, the mobsters run to the Den, which gets bonuses. If Necropolis gets conquered, they run to Reservation because its a ideologically similar Ghoul nation. Etc etc.

There would be a loss that does not stay or goes away to another nation, to represent the ravages of war. Lost resources. Industries are razed, people die, mines collapse, that sort of thing. So resources in the map would decrease as the game went on, offset by tech and other events.

I wanted to stop easy conquest snowballs, especially because the plan is to have a lot more nations and resources in the map by the start.

Tech teams: Yeah I'm not happy with them either. Favours certain big players too much. Every nation should always have at least seven teams and at least be good at something.

Re: Slavery. There's a difference about these, pay it in mind. Slavery tech means having a socio-economic structure based on slavery. Slave Market means being part of the Slavers' Guild.

Before expanding slaver guild, I need to expand merc band numbers. Before I do that, I need to cap the numbers of slaver mercs one can hire. Its too easy to hire everyone.

But I agree with you. It should be possible for one to lead into the other. But its a secondary priority right now.

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Oh damn, you're alive! Things are going well enough down here in Campinas, SP State. Seems like one of the best among the biggest cities, which is nice. Well, now that we know you are living and plan to come back to the mod. Encourages to keep eye on things for possible reports and suggestions.

Regarding the scums, I suggest a burglar mask with a horizontal club bellow. Should be easy enough to do on the mini-flag, and would be distinctive I believe. 1588445034356.png
1588445090594.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
Peaceful annexations should require:
- similar ideology
- +200 relations
- having strong military (minimal number of divisions) and large territory (to prevent a dying nation from annexing anything)
- annexing and annexed nations should share a border (IDK if this condition is possible to be implemented).

• 2Like
Reactions:
Long ago I suggested that the annexation of wasteland provinces be made contingent up infrastructure level, not just being occupied long enough. I believe that was shot down because there was no event trigger check for infrastructure.

While the same problem probably applies, if not it could also make a good pre-requisite for coreing.

Long ago I suggested that the annexation of wasteland provinces be made contingent up infrastructure level, not just being occupied long enough. I believe that was shot down because there was no event trigger check for infrastructure.

While the same problem probably applies, if not it could also make a good pre-requisite for coreing.
I found this in event commands.txt:

Code:
building = { province = ID type = building_type value = X [when = now] }   # check if in the specified province that building_type is at least at level X; when = now for current size, else - max size

'infrastructure' is a valid building type. So it sounds like there should be a valid trigger for such an effect after all? Might be hard to get this to work for the AI though without them wasting IC spamming infra everywhere.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I found this in event commands.txt:

Code:
building = { province = ID type = building_type value = X [when = now] }   # check if in the specified province that building_type is at least at level X; when = now for current size, else - max size

'infrastructure' is a valid building type. So it sounds like there should be a valid trigger for such an effect after all? Might be hard to get this to work for the AI though without them wasting IC spamming infra everywhere.
Just an uncertain suggestion, but aren't buildings allowed maximun allowed capping? Perhaps victory point provinces and surroundings could be allowed to max, while anywhere else gets a five or four max. Infrastructure to those levels doesn't take too much time, and four is the minimum to build installtions and IC.

And General Urist, you have had to try out Deon's Fallout mod found in the Bay12 forums, suggesting your username. If not, here's a good place to start, it might not be all of it. Deon has worked on a few mods based off of Fallout. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54561.msg1172497#msg1172497

• 1Like
Reactions:
I tried to download and run that version and just this error:

Code:
Parsing db\mission_eff.csv... done!
Setting Mode.
Mode Set.
Setting Mode.
Mode Set.
Setting Mode.
Mode Set.
Reading Mods\FODD\map\\navaldist.tbl... Done! (3165 naval provinces, Read distances = 10017225)

ERROR : (Illegal Command Type) 'type = add_core_area' Line = 62 file = Mods\FODD\db\events\Texas_Reformed.txt