• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You should include some stuff, like Mary queen of Scot tried as a witch or a plaque so bad, that the king himself flies to Norway or Denmark or Hanover.That would all fit well with the timesand all. But is your aar and therefore your choice.

Very great stuff with your character. I love the fact that in so little time we got a general idea of your main character, very smug and cool as steel when it comes to confrontation. looking forward to see where this goes!

mad general said:
You should include some stuff, like Mary queen of Scot tried as a witch or a plaque so bad, that the king himself flies to Norway or Denmark or Hanover.That would all fit well with the timesand all. But is your aar and therefore your choice.

Mary queen of scots 100 years old before :eek:o

coz1: Thank you very much, I hope to have a nice balance of character and action in this story

mad general: Well as will be revealed, the king might not need to flee :p , also on Mary, indeed it was 100 years before but still an intersting idea, I might put that in at some point in the future...

TreizeV: I'm glad you like him, but you'll find Ezekiel is far from a clear-cut hero, perhaps not even a clear-cut anti-hero

storm.jpg

Night of 5th-6th September A.D. 1666
Apington Countryside
Apington, Essex

It was closing on midnight when the thunderstorm began. Driving rains and violent gales cut through the village of Apington. Men struggled to walk against the battering winds and riders fought to keep their mounts under control, while shutters were virtually ripped from their hinges and the ground slowly turned to a quagmire. In these horrid conditions over thirty men gathered, most wearing the distinctive red and tan uniform of the New Model Army beneath their sodden capes. They prepared for their mission in silence and pitch-black darkness, only occasionally being revealed to any unknown watcher by a flash of lightning. Amongst them were Constable Napper and Captain Jameson, the joint commanders of the company.

“So Captain”, asked Napper as he vainly attempted to light his tobacco pipe for a third time “are your men ready”?

“Well the storm won’t be much good for the muskets, and the mud will mean the horses will have to stay here, but if worst comes to worst, I don’t foresee any problems an old ‘push of pike’ wont manage”

“You think it will come down to that”? Asked Napper with a look of concern “They’re only a bunch of Diggers*

“Well I suppose you would know about that better than I Constable, but I was instructed by Westminster to be prepared for a fight, what with all the occult activity that’s been reported”

“I understand your caution Captain, but in my experience such ‘activity’ is usually thanks to imaginations running wild. I don’t think it’s a stretch to conceive the local landowners might not be too keen on a Digger Commune being set up in their area, regardless of any devil worshipping. Apparently several tenant families in the area have upped and left for the Commune already”

“Aye, I’m just surprised there’s even any of these radicals left. Last thing I heard the last of them were locked up back in 1658, during Fleetwood’s ‘clean-up’”

“I guess that’s why Westminster sent an Army detachment rather than letting the militia deal with it. Keep it quick, keep it quiet”

“I suppose”, trailed Jameson, looking off into the darkness “may I ask you something Constable”?

“Captain”, mumbled Napper as he finally placed his lit pipe between his lips

“Have you ever had to deal with real daemons… real monsters”?

“Like I said, most of it is nothing but speculation and peasant ignorance”

“But surely that leaves some of it, yes”?

Napper glared at the young Roundhead officer, perhaps too naïve to understand who and what he was asking, for what seemed like an eternity. Finally Napper stated, in a voice as cold as the grave, “Such matters do not concern you”.

“Of course Constable”, Jameson answered in a neutral tone, raising a crisp salute. Napper rolled his eyes, unimpressed by the man’s dedication to official decorum. When two Witchfinders met, which was very rarely it must be said, due to their numbers, titles and military etiquette would be nowhere to be found. However whenever a unit of soldiers, militia or even the nightwatch was assigned to one, strict discipline was expected, from both parties. Witchfinder-Constables have to exude authority and power, both as a symbol of Parliament’s might and to ensure the loyalty of those ‘’irregular’ forces in the face of whatever strange enemies they come across. Likewise, such men never dared show contempt or sloppiness in front of a Constable, for fear of the possible reprisals.

“Are your men ready Captain”? Enquired Napper between puffs

“Yes Constable”

“Excellent, form them up”, Napper returned Jameson’s salute lazily, almost mockingly. As the Captain departed, barking orders at his company, Napper continued to smoke his pipe, enjoying the brief respite. Looking up into the midnight gloom, he saw several lights in the low hills, east of Apington: it seemed the Diggers were expecting them. “No good will come of this”, aired the haggard Constable, his words drowned out by the pounding rain.

The Apington Hills were hardly steep, but in the torrential, almost horizontal rain that attacked Napper and Jameson’s company, they became Andean. Men literally pulled themselves to the summit, weighed down by breastplates, helmets, pikes and swords, they were constantly fighting not to be taken away by the flowing morass of mud that was once a country lane. As they scraped and slogged their way forward, slowly but surely the Commune finally appeared, though all that was visible was a palisade wall some ten foot high situated on a small plateau. Jameson pointed out the rudimentary defences to Napper. For a group like the Diggers, dedicated to peaceful cooperation, any such physical barriers were seen as anathema. Either the locals had been less than hospitable to their new neighbours, or perhaps the Commune really did have something to hide?

As the company finally arrived at their target, the soldiers formed up, all armed with pike, sword and a copy of the King James Bible, albeit more out of Puritan zeal than any paranormal defence. Jameson and Napper stepped forward, dwarfed before the high double-gate entrance. The Captain slammed his fist against the gate repeatedly.

“Open up in there”!

The sound of muffled conversation and people scurrying to and fro could be heard inside the settlement, but no one answered Jameson. After repeating the routine another three times, Napper then stepped forward and pulled a piece of parchment from his coat pocket, the ink beginning to run before he even opened it.

“In the name of the Honourable Charles Fleetwood”, boomed Napper over the driving storm “Lord Protector of England, Scotland and Ireland, I demand you grant us entry to this settlement under the auspices of the Constabulary Empowerment Act of 1659. This is your final warning”!

The two men were met with no response, while the Commune had fallen into total silence. Jameson drew his rapier from its scabbard and raised it above his head, on the signal his men advanced.

“Sergeant”! Called the Captain to his second

“Yes sir”!

“Prepare the battering ram”!

With a nod the sergeant rushed to the back of the company, taking a half dozen soldiers with him. They returned to the front carrying a light ram, little more than a handled oak log, tipped with an iron spike.

“All right lads”, barked the grizzled veteran, his voice easily cutting through the blistering wind “Grip it tight… and 1, 2, 3”!

The ram pierced the oaken gate with a heavy crash, sending large splinters of wood flying in every direction, but they had not yielded.

“Must have barricaded it”, muttered Jameson “And again”!

“1…2…3”!

The detachment swung with all their might, sending the ram smashing ferociously against the doors, forcing them to buckle against the massive force. However their target remained, battered but still standing. The storm was right over the Commune now. The thunder was cacophonous, while the company collectively flinched, as a nearby tree was burnt to a cinder by a violent bolt of lighting, which was now illuminating the hilltop in a nigh on continuous, and eerie twilight.

The Sergeant gave the command once more, struggling to be heard “1…2…3”!

Finally, the iron spike broke clear through the double-doors. The detachment retracted the battering ram, while their comrades advanced, pikes at the ready. Napper and Jameson followed as the soldiers pushed open the gate, entering the Digger Commune. Before them was a small settlement, neatly organised into two parallel rows of cottages separated by various vegetable plots and animals pens, while to the back stood a long, high-roofed hall. To greet them, Napper and Jameson’s troops found what seemed to be the entire Commune’s population of 50 standing, soaked to the bone, waiting for them. At first the Witchfinder was taken aback by the sight, men, women and children, all unarmed simply standing there. The soldiers were likewise uneasy. All gripped their weapons tight, ready as if to receive an enemy charge, but nothing happened.

“What is the meaning of this”? Yelled Napper, doing his best to instil his voice with a harsh authority “refusing to comply with the servants of the Commonwealth is a punishable offence. You merely stand by while we hammer on the door”?

The Diggers simply stood there in silence, many staring at the Constable, something he did his best to ignore.

“Very well. Captain! Arrest these people, load them on the carts”!

“Constable”, Jameson answered, “Alright men, take them away, we don’t want to be out here all night”!

The company advanced, surrounding the Diggers who remained inactive, however as the soldiers attempted to move individuals, they refused to budge. Roundheads pushed and shoved men and attempted to pull women, but they resisted, refusing to move from their spot. Families began to cling together, many whispering quiet prayers. One of the troops picked up a small girl, no more than five. She immediately began to scream and wriggle, calling for her parents, and finally the company gained a reaction as the father raced forward, connecting his fist with the soldier’s jaw, sending him to the muddy ground. Before he could pick up his daughter, more soldiers gathered, aiming pikes and swords at his throat. Napper stepped forward, pushing the soldiers aside.

“Stop this damn it! You there”! He growled at the father, as he scooped up his child, tears streaming from her eyes “Why do your people not move! It will only lead to bloodshed if you resist”!

“You do not understand”, the man answered in a clear, calm voice “this is our home, we will not leave our sanctuary, not for all the soldiers the New Model Army can command”

“Sanctuary”, asked Napper, raising a puzzled eyebrow “sanctuary from what”?

“Constable”! Called Captain Jameson “Over here! There’s light coming from the communal hall, someone’s in there”!

----------------------------------------

*Diggers- a pacifist, proto-communist group that sought to turn England into a confederacy of self-sufficient communes. Viewed as dangerous political radicals, they were mostly suppressed in the 1650s.

Last edited:
hmm - really tasty chapter. I really liked whole scene, with storm adding to eerie atmosphere. Something like XVIIth century Lovecraft. You should write next chapter fast, I`m really curious what`s inside this hall. :)

Ooh i can't wait for more, i'm certainly following this!

Ezekiel that name rings a bell.. A movie or something

Edit: Ah, i know in the movie Pulp Fiction! Samuel L Jackson used it somekind of verse..

Last edited:
Ooooh, Diablo-esque, complete with the Rain, although that could be just england, really.

Tell Me More!

VERY mood-inspiring, excellently done! And what the Devil are those Digger people hiding from, if it isn't Constable Napper and his men?

BTW, Lord Protector Fleetwood? In 1666 AD? Clearly, some things have changed dramatically in this reality. No restoration, for example! :eek:

The description was lovely and really set the mood for sight, sound and action. I wonder what this light is and who else is there?

Glad to see Napper get his pipe lit in this rain. It was a very nice little moment at the beginning. :D

thrashing mad: Thank you very much, I try and be swift about updating, but I'm halfway through it now and it looks set to be quite a large update

Deamon: Ezekiel 25:17 - The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee

That lil' old thing? :p

Cyrus_The_Great: We shall see shan't we

RGB: Sort of half and half really

The Yogi: Thank you, and yes you are correct, no restoration. We'll see tid-bits regarding the 'Commonwealth' and how its altered history.

coz1: :D Well we'll see soon enough

comagoosie: Expect the 3d's to make frequent cameos!

nette001: A thousand pardons :p

Great to see some Diggers on the forum. Have you read a novel called 'Comrade Jacob' by David Caute? It's probably out of print now but your scene sort of reminded me of it; the steadfastness in the face of futility that the Diggers showed. Interesting that it seems Parliament are still in control. No Restoration yet.

I love this period of history so I'll try to follow this AAR, although I'm not on the forums much at the moment but even if I'm not commenting, I'll be reading.

Cool

Following this one

Excellent stuff! Good to see you writing Jape.

Lovely chapter, especially with the whole 'dark and stormy night' atmosphere this whole update had.

The line that really got me thinking was Ezekiel's response to the soldier's question of whether he actually dealt with real demons. Which makes me wonder what his true motives in pursuing his line of work is.....

LeonTrotsky: Excellent to hear Comrade. Can't say I've heard of the book, but I do agree, the Diggers were a very interesting group, literally centuries ahead of political thought.

uphillarnie: Nice to have you on board

stnylan: Thank you, tis good to be back

TreizeV: Well I did suggest it quite forcefully :p . Napper's character will be looked into as this story progresses, hopefully he'll be more than just another hard-boiled detective...

Hopefully the next update will be up by tomorrow, I apologise for the slow speed of this story but RL is ever creeping into my writing time lately.

Jape said:
Hopefully the next update will be up by tomorrow, I apologise for the slow speed of this story but RL is ever creeping into my writing time lately.

Keep it as good and polished as it is, and we can wait. :)