Europa Universalis IV: The Cossacks announced!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hopefully Russia / Muscovy AI will get a buff in this because right now they're hopeless. :(

On a more cheery note I am looking forward to this expansion. The new features sound really cool. :)

Reactions:
Allow me to soundly reassure you that at no point during your journey through this post of yours did you acquire the faintest of clues about what you were talking about.
Ok, shame on me.
So, would you kindly explain how your AI works and why it may be hard to improve it?

As I've said, I am not a programmer, I took a wild guess, and everybody felt that it was their duty to say that I am wrong.
But nobody explained why. Either, every EU4 player is a AI programmer, or nobody has a nearest clue how does it work.

So please, Wiz, without mockering, could you say where and how was I wrong, and why nobody should criticise or ask questions about AI and its further development (which basically has the same flaws and weak spots as it was in initial release) ?

Reactions:
Hopefully Russia / Muscovy AI will get a buff in this expansion because right now they're hopeless. :(
On a more cheery note I am looking forward to this. :)

In what world are they hopeless? 60% of my games they wreck PLC and Novgorod.

Ok, shame on me.
So, would you kindly explain how your AI works and why it may be hard to improve it?

As I've said, I am not a programmer, I took a wild guess, and everybody felt that it was their duty to say that I am wrong.
But nobody explained why. Either, every EU4 player is a AI programmer, or nobody has a nearest clue how does it work.

So please, Wiz, without mockering, could you say where and how was I wrong, and why nobody should criticise or ask questions about AI and its further development (which basically has the same flaws and weak spots as it was in initial release) ?

The AI in EU4 is light years ahead of any comparable strategy game (meaning literally deep as hell)

Unless you have some brilliant example in which case i'd be very interested to play them.

Reactions:
Reactions:
In what world are they hopeless? 60% of my games they wreck PLC and Novgorod.

Every game I've ever played 1.12/1.13 has had Muscovy get smashed. Sometimes they don't even form Russia (sometimes Novgorod forms Russia) and even if Russia does form it ends up looking like this:

et6pXbN.jpg

Reactions:
Every game I've ever played 1.12/1.13 has had Muscovy get smashed. Sometimes they don't even form Russia (sometimes Novgorod forms Russia) and even if Russia does form it ends up looking like this:
*headtilt* Were you playing with Lucky Nations disabled?

et6pXbN.jpg
Since 1.13.1 comes out, Russia suffers a lot in my games, too! Especially against the Ottomans... o_O
Even the Commonwealth fails at forming 7 times out of 10

Reactions:
Proud to have Kuban Cossacks in my family tree.Thaks a lot dear devs.Will glad to see new content,and...achivements ;)

I think they are. I don't think they made this just for the announcement.
rdZuejh.jpg
I was actually just joking. :p. If they do make that loading screen art, that would make for a sudden departure from the "notable single figure, notable location" theme they've done with each previous screen.

Reactions:
As
The AI in EU4 is light years ahead of any comparable strategy game (meaning literally deep as hell)

Unless you have some brilliant example in which case i'd be very interested to play them.
As I see it, the AI in EU basically has two roles: tactical and strategic. Tactical is OK, it has some problems, especially with naval warfare, but it is OK.
You can compare tactical part of AI with any RTS, TBS, tactics game etc. Every war in EU is basically one session in RTS. 3 types of units, two resources, quite simple.

As for strategic, PDX is quite a monopolist in such genre, so no comparisons.
And strategic part of AI bothers me much. So many things that need fixing, but they stay.
Like wrong calculating of chances when enemy has strong allies ( Milan attacked Savoia, just after its devastating war, and ally-France wrecks Mlo in 3 months). Or just any Muscovy war against PLC.
Or the whole allying system. Does human player often wars as Poland against the whole world just for his AI ally, Albania, could grab two provinces? Opposite is the only way to play as Opm, and it is so gamey. It could be fixed by guarantees, bit where are they? Only historically predefined.
So many little mistakes, like grabbing provinces, which are sold right after the war, or not taking provinces at all, with claims and cores. Diploannexing Aragon, which ends on 2\3 with annexing with decision. Westernization after big conquest and low stab ( Russia often does that).

And I don't even want to start on colonisation.

Tl;dr: wars are OK, diplomacy is just wrong and gamey, and AI lacks for any planning.

If your "light years away" AI can't be taught to improve, maybe it would be worthwhile at least to hardcode the most stupid flaws?

Reactions:
I should mention that I think the AI in EU4 is generally quite good however in my experience, ever since Common Sense (1.12), the AI Russia / Muscovy has struggled. I personally have played as Muscovy and did fine.

Reactions: