Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica - Dev diary 2: Dutch Republic & Ideas

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Humanist ideas seem too good. They are a must for conquering nations. And since this game is mostly about making war and then making peace waiting for the next war...

One thing I noticed -- Naval Ideas do not have an increase in Naval Force Limit modifier. This is still kept in Maritime ideas.

So, I wonder exactly how much utility Naval Ideas will have... yes you can get good admirals some more power etc, but if I have twice the number of Heavy Ships (assuming some amount of force limit will be used for light ships and transport by both the sides) using Maritime Ideas, what are the Naval Ideas really going to do for you?

One thing I noticed -- Naval Ideas do not have an increase in Naval Force Limit modifier. This is still kept in Maritime ideas.

So, I wonder exactly how much utility Naval Ideas will have... yes you can get good admirals some more power etc, but if I have twice the number of Heavy Ships (assuming some amount of force limit will be used for light ships and transport by both the sides) using Maritime Ideas, what are the Naval Ideas really going to do for you?

Higher Force Limit just saves you money. Going over the naval FL isn't that expensive and if you are rich it's no problem at all. Then your Naval Ideas will win you battles.

Having more troops also helps, but somehow quantity is not always chosen over offensive (which has a smaller boost) or defensive (which has none). Now, admittedly, the seas have no forts... but still, there's also no obligation to pick only naval or maritime, you can take both (if you need it).

Naval has combat ability, better admirals, MORALE, and DURABITY. This is strong. If you pick this idea group your ships are really better quality.

Naval force limit is also in exploration ideas and in quantity ideas (25%).

-10% in ship maintenance can be seen as something similar with an increase of the naval FL

Dutch Republic
First of all, the Dutch Republic do not get the normal election events. Instead they operate on a unique set of rules. They have a unique mechanic which is called “Statists vs Orangists”, which is how much power each side has in the Republic.

When the Statists are in power, you get +10 naval force limits and +5% trade power, while your republican tradition increase quickly, and when the Orangists are in power, you get +25% land forcelimits, and 10% cheaper stability, while the republican tradition does not increase by normal means.

If Statists are in power, then an election will be held if it has been at least 4 years since last election. You get two random candidates to pick from, one that will strengthen the Statists and one that will strengthen the Orangists.

If the Orangists are in power, then the current ruler is in power until he or she dies, or statists comes into power again.

You can not directly change the support for either of these, but there are a large set of events associated with the republic, that will impact the support.

Of course, it is now easier for the Netherlands to get the event allowing you to pick the Dutch Republic government form, as it will trigger within a decade or two after forming the nation.

How random are candidates? Completely random or classical for republics 4/1/1?

completely random

Sounds very interesting.
So when the statist are in power then instead of building your own super ruler like you do with other republics, you get rulers with monarch(random) stats with the main difference being you get a new guy every 4 years.

I also like that the orangist bonuses are "bigger" (but not necessarily better) then the statist bonuses, otherwise everybody would only want the statist in power for the extra trade and tradeships stuff.
So making the numbers for the orangist bonuses "bigger" makes orangist a more or less equal option.

Also decreasing the waiting time for the government form event is a very welcome change!

I just finished an Utrecht-Netherlands game and was planning to do a Prussia game, but this makes me want to do another Netherlands game right away :D good stuff Paradox.

Last edited:
Ehm, I find one that is also pretty strong.
Oh come on. Spend 400 DIP points to save a couple dozen DIP points every once in a while? You call that a powerful idea? Wow.

By the way, when I said that Humanist Tolerance is the single strongest idea, I meant compared to all the current ideas including such OP ones as Forced March, not just compared to the other new ones.

(Forced March may be even stronger in a MP game, but I don't absolutely need it playing against the AI.)

Grand Army is now 20% land forcelimits (down from 25%)
National Conscripts is now 10% faster regiment recruitment speed instead of +25% global manpower.

I think lack of manpower bonus in offensive idea group makes it no longer must have.

Consolidated infantry, cavalry and artillery cost ideas in Quantity into a single regiment cost idea.
Added ideas to Quantity: Forced Labor System (-20% building power cost) and Expanded Supply Trains (-10% land attrition).

but this.. let you create very, very huge and cheap army.

Johan, now that we have both Naval and Maritime idea groups, which will be required for Confirm Thalassocracy?

Will new idea groups have associated events like the others? Humanism's OP'ness could be counterbalanced by triggering a lot of nasty stability events.

If you want to defend your overseas possessions you will simply must take both. Against a human, obviously. Is actually a nice balance for every single nation who is not Great Britain and want to play the colonial game. I imagine more players being France trying to do it for example because they will be able to build a decent navy to compete, which is nice.

So is diplomatic reputation going to do something again? It's still kind of a very dud bonus to get now, only useful in very specific situations, while thinks like BROT or maintenance costs or AE reduction are bonuses that are always useful once you get them.

Religious Ambition is now 25% cheaper culture conversion.
Any chance that we can have it be made possible to deconvert Cosmopolitanized Lombardy without annexing France?