Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica - Dev diary 2: Dutch Republic & Ideas

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I do think Johan de Witt was the best statesman the Dutch Republic ever got. I read Rowen's biography a few years ago. Johan de Witt did not want to sign the 1668 Triple Alliance with Sweden and England as he did not trust the English one bit and surely foresaw how angry it would make Louis XIV. The other statesmen bent under popular pressure applies by the orangist in a very well orchestrated anti-French and anti-States Party public campaign when Louis XIV decided to invade the Spanish Lower Countries in the name of his wife in 1668.

The only thing they got wrong was the States Party favouring the Dutch East Indies Company (VOC) over the Dutch West Indies Company (GWIC). It's understandable that Java and Ceylan was thought to be more profitable than Nieuw-Nederland, but the lost of the latter left the Netherlands with no commercial débouché when protectionism reared its ugly head in the 18th Century. England could shift its production and trade towards its North American colonies when France, Prussia and the Scandinavian states shut their market off. The Dutch didn't have that chance...

It's nice to see that Republics ear getting a lot of overhaul, but I feel it's also a bit wasted since not many nations start out as a Republic. It would be nice if they implemented some way for a Monarchy to become a Republic though events, or a national decision or something because it's possible to go Republic > Monarchy if the tradition gets low enough, but Monarch > Republic is greatly impossible unless you get the right rebels. And then there's places like Ireland that have NIs to help with Republican tradition, but to my knowledge don't have any events or what have you to turn them from a monarchy into a republic, which really wastes that NI.