Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica - Dev diary 2: Dutch Republic & Ideas

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I always try to run multicultural empires if possible. I am definitely going to play a genoa game, plutocratic,humanist(innovative later),maritime game. Genoa has such an interesting start(Andrea Doria events rock).

• Grand Army is now 20% land forcelimits (down from 25%)
  • National Conscripts is now 10% faster regiment recruitment speed instead of +25% global manpower.
  • Consolidated infantry, cavalry and artillery cost ideas in Quantity into a single regiment cost idea.
  • Added ideas to Quantity: Forced Labor System (-20% building power cost) and Expanded Supply Trains (-10% land attrition).

offensive will be nerfed while quantity will get a slight buff!
yay! :D

Anyone got a link to the first Dev Diary of Res Publica?

Looks quite cool. Are you guys going to be able to tweak the game so that a capable Netherlands forms more often and reliably without player intervention?

Re humanism, looks like a cool idea group to contrast with the narrowminded religious, why was -2 revolt risk chosen instead of -1, it would still be a good idea regardless?

Well, I have to say that I like the looks of the new ideas. I can totally see myself ditching Diplomacy for Influence since it allows me to not use up a lot of diplo points on annexing vassals. Also, Humanist seems pretty nice to have though I usually stomp out any and all religions that aren't the state religion.

Looking like fun.

About the new modifier for accepted culture threshold, the final %-number can likely be modified by several means, like policies (or mods), not only the Humanism-idea.

Could we get the final cultural threshold number or limit as a nice visual in the UI please? It could get quite confusing otherwise.

The major problem with Influence is the lack of diplomats basically requiring you to pick up Diplomacy if you want to get the best out of it. Tolerance is probably the worst idea in the Humanist tree since you'll get 100% free Religious Unity if you get +3 tolerance, however this is negated a bit by being the first idea of the tree. Giving up the Deus Vult DB is also a big ask.

That said it's still hard to determine without getting to play around with the ideas. Even more so when we don't know what kind of policies there are for the new groups.
You can remedy to that by starting with Influence/Aristocracy, which gives you the diplomat you need and seems in itself a pretty nice (but not OP) early combo. :)

So first you remove sliders from EU3 saying it was a bad mechanic and then you consistently add them back? That's an interesting approach ;)

what is ship durability? just extra 'health' when fighting?

Yes. I think it's very strong.

So first you remove sliders from EU3 saying it was a bad mechanic and then you consistently add them back? That's an interesting approach ;)

This just calls 'slider'. The mechanism is quite different.

I thinks Humanism is OP in single player. In multiplayer is not so strong.

For me, Influence seems to be useless. Maybe it just does not fit to my playstyle. Anyway I've picked Diplomatic very rarly.

I had a huge wall of text about the new balancing of ideas but frankly didnt even feel like posting it anymore.

Now Im rarely someone who likes to jump the gun, but you're going to make religious useless - its borderline already - if these changes go live.

Im going to assume you're going to trash Catholic and overbuff Prostestant, since you seem to have a problem with gradual changes.
I take humaism - I stay catholic. I get some province flips but can maintain my unity via humanism. When zeal is over I convert for PI.
I take humaism - I convert. I get a huge modifier on conversion. Convert the majority. Have the rest under unity.

So why exactly do I need religious again ? Ah yes - the BROT and CB.
CB - catholics can excommunicate/crusade and still get 3 other CBs easily. Protestant/reformed do not, but well the CB was never the main buying point after youve changed it to 75% AE.
BROT was for me, BROT is gone to humanism.

But Mr. McClure we get reduced culture conversion now.
Yeah Timmy too bad it costs monarchpoints while humanism gives us a similiar bonus without being forced to SPEND monarchpoints.

Administrative is just ... did you even read what each idea does? It's already so good early game with mercs. Now it scales even better into lategame with reduced tech and the previous bonuses (advisor pool & goods produced).

Sigh.

Last edited:
Im going to assume you're going to trash Catholic and overbuff Prostestant, since you seem to have a problem with gradual changes.
I take humaism - I stay catholic. I get some province flips but can maintain my unity via humanism. When zeal is over I convert for PI.
I take humaism - I convert. I get a huge modifier on conversion. Convert the majority. Have the rest under unity.

So why exactly do I need religious again ? Ah yes - the BROT and CB.
CB - catholics can excommunicate/crusade and still get 3 other CBs easily. Protestant/reformed do not, but well the CB was never the main buying point after youve changed it to 75% AE.
BROT was for me, BROT is gone to humanism.

This is true. Humanism should not have Better Relation over Time. And why it has -2 revolt risk since all ideas with this modifier give -1 (plutocratic, english ideas)?

Dutch Republic
If Statists are in power, then an election will be held if it has been at least 4 years since last election. You get two random candidates to pick from, one that will strengthen the Statists and one that will strengthen the Orangists.
How random are candidates? Completely random or classical for republics 4/1/1?

Hey,
Why does quality still have bonuses for ships? It is strange, because navy now has two dedicated idea groups for specializing in navy, and quality should really be an idea group for land-power.

Bit of a shame that there is no additional mechanic with dutch republic, such as the now even extra buffed merchant republic (those trade posts and production bonus combined with trade empire). Still a faction system for DR will give you some flexibility.

@Johan

- Are there any extra (flavour) events that will help form your nation?
- Is it still possible to get personal unions due to the 4 years reelection with the statists?
- Will you be able to run for emperor if you are orangist? (you are basically a monarch)
- What are the negatives for going full orangist or statist? Will you turn in a monarchy and republic respectively if you hit the extremes?
- Will the ai netherlands become lucky if its formed during the campaign?

Last edited:
Hey,
Why does quality still have bonuses for ships? It is strange, because navy now has two dedicated idea groups for specializing in navy, and quality should really be an idea group for land-power.

Land warfare has offensive, defensive, quantity, aristoracy/plutocracy. This is 5 ideas.
Naval warfare has maritime and naval. This is 2 ideas.
Quality is half land half naval.

Why do you want more to land?

Last edited: