Europa Universalis IV Developer diary 13 – FREEEDOM!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Johan,

Everything detailed in the diary is excellent. I do hope WE, even if the same function, is significantly more severe, with commensurate WS pressures in favor of quick peaces for the loser. It would also be nice to see some dynamism in the WE and (closely related) WS systems-colonial wars; suspension of WE gain (or even a WE fall) with no own-provinces occupied, no troops on foreign soil, no foreign troops on own-soil; gradual WS gain for occupation of claimed province (preferably scaled to WE), etc. It would also be nice to see variable-length truces, at least in MP between humans, or even two distinct options-a truce, which leaves occupied provinces occupied but ends hostilities and lowers WE for a variable length, and a treaty, which works as truce does now.

But overall, and considering a lot of that is for the diplomatic system, very pleased.

What worries me is the two line reference to the military system. Obviously, that'll get its own DD someday, but I figure I might as well start the pleading (again) now :D :

1. Navies-I don't necessarily infer what others have (that naval reinforcement will drawn down manpower), but in case they're right, I hope the naval draw on manpower isn't as simple as all that. The new trade system seems to aim at one of EU II/III's greatest flaws, that fleets are basically giant floating armies suffering (in EU II) less attrition as they grow larger, always concentrated, and coming cheap. Instead of linking the navy to manpower, why not a separate Naval Infrastructure system that requires investments of power, money, tech, ideas, manpower, and buildings to fund? Sailors and soldiers are not fungible, and particularly in the latter portion of the game sailors were vastly more valuable one-to-one than all but the most specialized soldiers (artillery, veteran cavalry in some armies). Likewise, and perhaps to an even greater degree, naval officers were more valuable than army officers of equivalent rank. Sailors and naval officers were more difficult to recruit, required much longer and more expensive training, and were commensurately more difficult to replace. One of the reasons, indeed the primary reason, the French navy lost the Napoleonic Wars while the French army was winning was that Napoleon could not create a new navy as he could a new army. The experienced sailors were disproportionately royalist, and the naval officers overwhelmingly turned emigre (or died) during the Terror. New sailors, new officers, and bottom-of-the-barrel commanders lacked the experience, or, in the latter case, the talent, no matter how many tons the navy displaced. There was not, and could not be, an Admiral Jean Lannes; indeed, there was not, because there could not be, an Admiral Napoleon, even if the man himself strapped on a cutlass.

Simply drawing down manpower ignores all of this and does nothing more than better balance naval power against land when choosing how to allocate resources. Well, yes, that ought to be done, but much better, I think, to require sustained, significant investment in naval power that can be lost in naval disasters (i.e., a Naval Manpower pool, smaller and much slower replenishing).

2. As for naval reinforcement, I hope this is limited to ships in home ports. And speaking of, I hope the number of harbors capable of sheltering large ships/squadrons is greatly reduced and ports, to repair and build ships, expensive province improvements.

3. On land reinforcement and attrition, WE should obviously affect both, but it's not very useful if 1) attrition remains relatively flat (mostly the same between provinces and seasons, and capped at 5%-the attrition rate in armies until the end of the 18th century was vastly higher than this and largely absorbed reinforcements all on its own) and 2) reinforcements continue to reach armies over vast distances with no meaningful supply lines (especially over sea).

Last edited:
It was a republic in a same way modern United Kingdom is a republic.

I didn't know the British monarchs are elected. Just for the record Venetian Doges were chosen for life. Food for thought.

Oh, and one more thing: the Mamelukes, the Papal State, the Teutonic Order, the Livonian Order, the Knights - all those names shoud go as well, if the Commonwealth does not belong. Not to mention all dynasty-based tags.

I wonder if we'll finally get something done about how government types work with monarch titles. It was always so lame that basically every state in the game was headed by a "King." It would be nice to be able to have a modern government type and be an emperor or a duke. It's just a flavour issue of course, but I think it's one of the better flavour issues! ;)

One big caveat: all the mechanics regarding War Exhaustion look good and appear very promising. BUT that is on the assumption that wars can be limited. What I mean is this: if I want to take one province from France do I need a 20th century style total war victory? If so, then the WE rules would effectively make any large power invulnerable except for an extreme combination of bad events and military defeats. So I fervently hope that the peace settlement AI is reasonable and that even large powers (Ming China, I'm looking at you) will concede a bit of territory without needing to be totally conquered first.

I didn't know the British monarchs are elected. Just for the record Venetian Doges were chosen for life. Food for thought.

Elective monarchy is still a monarchy (see: France, HRE, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Hungary, Bohemia and probably many others at various times in history).

Slightly serious question: When you make concessions, are they necessarily nation-wide, or can some be province-level only. E.g., special tolerance for Reformed in one place only, or special tax relief?

I assume "50 years until core" was regarded arbitary and completely removed, which would be excellent. Everything is so much more realistic that meteor event is not going to be funny anymore ^_^
Some other small things I like from this DD is the fact that Paradox are trying to simulate the fact that wars in this era were small and had a certain goal that they couldnt get beyond because of the extraordinary costs of war... Also since navies also cost manpower now that will hopefully stop weird things like England taking random european coastilnes and Castille annexing all of north africa by 1500.
Im not sure but it seems that attrition has also become more powerful.

Last edited:
so what's new? they are all in EU3 already. i only wonder one thing, will there be nationalist rebels in non-core provinces? for example, france-controlled london that revoked core from england. will there be englishmen rebels in london?

Well I do hope they consider a Noble Republic as a Monarchy instead of a Repblic, since it's basically a kingdom with an elected king.

Well, in the screenshot, PLC does not have legitimacy like other monarchies but has this weird green hat that we still weren't told about. But in a previous dev diary I asked what that green hat was about and Johan said it was there because the country in question (it was Normandy) wasn't a monarchy, consequently I would guess that PLC is not a monarchy.

The Commonwealth is such an abhorrent title, though. Why not just Poland-Lithuania?

I agree

this way it seems that it is THE commonwealth (it implies that all commonwealths are of that commonwealth)

I wonder if we'll finally get something done about how government types work with monarch titles. It was always so lame that basically every state in the game was headed by a "King." It would be nice to be able to have a modern government type and be an emperor or a duke. It's just a flavour issue of course, but I think it's one of the better flavour issues! ;)

I Agree, I think that some TAG like ITA or SPA should be remain "Kings" even if they are composed by one province becouse they rapresent a formal crown, but for example an OPM not should be a kingdom. Maybe a Tag that own 1 province should be a county, from 2 province to 5 should be a duchy, and after six provinces should be called kingdom, with a cool prestige event for that. Of course this with some exception tag.

The only thing I am worried about is how the AI will manage.

Sounds like a headache to code ai how to spend monarch points at the "right" time...

Worried about the coring system...
Will there be modifiers on the number of points needed to core a province?
I have to figure it's easier to claim territory of yours if its populated by your primary culture... a little bit tougher if it's populated by an accepted culture, slightly tougher if its in your culture group... and difficult if it's from a completely different group. It does seem rather silly though that say Kurland could take Constantinople and declare it a core/integral party of the country , and have it recognized as such, the day if you conquer it.

Will provinces still core after X amount of years? I don't want to see Prussia hold Danzig for 2 centuries and have them with no claim on the territory. I think some of these extra decisions are risky for such a complex AI.

And one last thing... will we still get core granting decisions and events? You practically needed one to expand in the HRE as a OPM or TPM.

Poland lithuania is monarchy. And there were revolts that changed the goverment - nobles demanded things from king when he was in peril, so he had to agree. It was no open revolt, but something like the rebel factions not yet revolting. But threatning to make one if their demands are not agreed on.

Nope. "The Commonwealth" or more precisely "The Commonwealth of Both Nations", usually translated to english as "Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth" is the official name. Not of the government form.

That is true. The Commonwealth of Both nations, however would be too long name...