Europa Universalis IV Developer diary 13 – FREEEDOM!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
STOP LOOKING AT THE SKY, STUPID PEASANTS!

I'm more interested in how you could change from one form of goverment to another. Like monarchy=>Republic. If that will require rebellion then once again we'll see how players will try to invent new ways to exploit game mechanics to change goverment.
Once more there will be 1k rebels holding capital surrounded by 50k player troops in nearby provinces waiting for requirement to be fulfilled.

Rebels can now get a leader? That is great. I hope this ist not only the generic army leader, like it is in EU3. It would be nice to have some saxon lords to rebel against the rule of normandy.

New World? That would be good, as the new world thread has gone over 50000 views. Its a highly anticipated dev diary.

50000 views by 5 people :laugh:

Very nice with the exception of turning provinces into core with only 50 points. From what we know so far, this would probably lead to massive abuse and make it even easier than in EU3 to expand.

Poland-Lithuania is such an abhorrent title, though. Why not just The Commonwealth?

Fixed it for you. Rzeczpospolita (more-or-less the same as the Commonwealth) is what the country was called in the game's time frame. There was no such thing as Poland-Lithuania. There was the Crown (or Poland) and Lithuania as two constituent parts of Rzeczpospolita. Calling it Poland-Lithuania would be like calling Great Britain England-Scotland (if you think about it Great Britain and, especially, United Kingdom are quite silly names, but they are proper, unlike England-Scotland).

Fixed it for you. Rzeczpospolita (more-or-less the same as the Commonwealth) is what the country was called in the game's time frame. There was no such thing as Poland-Lithuania. There was the Crown (or Poland) and Lithuania as two constituent parts of Rzeczpospolita. Calling it Poland-Lithuania would be like calling Great Britain England-Scotland (if you think about it Great Britain and, especially, United Kingdom are quite silly names, but they are proper, unlike England-Scotland).

I don't get this big discussion about the name of a single country.

if Poland-Lithuania is the most common name for it so why to change that? it is one thing how they called themselves but still foreigners mostly called the country 'Poland'...

same with United Kingdom - that's the official name but then again the country is called Great Britain most of the time.

Fixed it for you.
No, you just swapped the names around in a poor and unoriginal attempt at satire.

'The Commonwealth' could be applied to any state with that form of government, including Great Britain (which isn't a silly name; it's the name of the island ruled by a single state) during the Interregnum. Poland-Lithuania is a much better title because it represents the union of Poland and Lithuania, in the same way as you could have Denmark-Norway at a later date as opposed to something like 'The Twin Realms.'

It's also far more sensible; many first-time players wouldn't have a clue where 'The Commonwealth' was, or why it was called that. You wouldn't refer to France as 'The Kingdom' would you? Regardless of its translation, it's a bizarre non-specific title and one that I'd be surprised made the final cut of the game.

Very nice with the exception of turning provinces into core with only 50 points. From what we know so far, this would probably lead to massive abuse and make it even easier than in EU3 to expand.

From what we know so far, spending all your Monarch ADM points on cores would mean no stability improvements, no ideas and no administrative techs.

No, you just swapped the names around in a poor and unoriginal attempt at satire.

'The Commonwealth' could be applied to any state with that form of government, including Great Britain (which isn't a silly name; it's the name of the island ruled by a single state) during the Interregnum. Poland-Lithuania is a much better title because it represents the union of Poland and Lithuania, in the same way as you could have Denmark-Norway at a later date as opposed to something like 'The Twin Realms.'

It's also far more sensible; many first-time players wouldn't have a clue where 'The Commonwealth' was, or why it was called that. You wouldn't refer to France as 'The Kingdom' would you? Regardless of its translation, it's a bizarre non-specific title and one that I'd be surprised made the final cut of the game.

Nope. "The Commonwealth" or more precisely "The Commonwealth of Both Nations", usually translated to english as "Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth" is the official name. Not of the government form.

I guess we should have the HRE renamed to the German Empire, the Mughals to India and the Ottomans to Turkey, else some people may not understand what those names mean. After all this isn't the actuall Roman Empire, Mughals are a direct reference to Mongols, despite being based in India and the Ottomans may refer to any nation ruled by the Ottoman dynasty.

From what we know so far, spending all your Monarch ADM points on cores would mean no stability improvements, no ideas and no administrative techs.

But think of the possible exploits: insta-coring a colony in Africa to reach India before anyone else, conquering within the HRE and ignorin the Imperial Laws by claiming the land as rightfully yours. Conquering a country half way across the globe and buying a core to instantly start production of a new army. Just off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Wow the graphics and interface look beautiful!
Looks like with the 1444 start Poland might really into space.

I agree that The Commonwealth is probably not a good title for a country. I know it's the most accurate translation of the word they used at the time. But if we have a country called Byzantium we should have a country called Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth or Poland-Lithuania. For no other country do we take the name they use for themselves, and translate it into modern English (German Land (Germany), Land of Russians (Russia), Land of the Pure (Pakistan), Land of the Aryans (Iran), etc.)

I'm curious about a lot of the questions people asked ahead of me, so I won't add any more to the plate.

Nope. "The Commonwealth" or more precisely "The Commonwealth of Both Nations", usually translated to english as "Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth" is the official name. Not of the government form.

If so, then The Holy Roman Empire (if formed) should be called "THE EMPIRE".

Eventhough I'm a big fan of Star Wars, that would simply feel wrong. Just imagine if the United States would be called "The Trade Federation" (a stretch) and Scandinavia (The Kalmar Union) renamed into "The Techno Union" :rolleyes:

Venice could then be known as "THE REPUBLIC" :rofl:

Last edited:
I guess we should have the HRE renamed to the German Empire, the Mughals to India and the Ottomans to Turkey, else some people may not understand what those names mean. After all this isn't the actuall Roman Empire, Mughals are a direct reference to Mongols, despite being based in India and the Ottomans may refer to any nation ruled by the Ottoman dynasty.

exactly.

If so, then The Holy Roman Empire (if formed) should be called "THE EMPIRE".

Eventhough I'm a big fan of Star Wars, that would simply feel wrong. Just imagine if the United States would be called "The Trade Federation" (a stretch) and Scandinavia (The Kalmar Union) renamed into "The Techno Union" :rolleyes:

Venice could then be known as "THE REPUBLIC" :rofl:

Right, what marvel would be to have United Kingdom! Oh, wait...

It was a republic in a same way modern United Kingdom is a republic.

So from my point of view, the question is this: what makes more sense? a country that existed 100 years before 1444. or a country that never existed before 1900s? Ukraine revolting in Ruthenian provinces is as anachronistic as Russia appearing as a revolter (opposed to being united by a decision) from Russian cultured provinces would be.

The concept of a "separatists/nationalists" wanting to recreate some dead feudal entities seems much more laughable to me than a concept of unified Ukrainian state (granted, I think Ruthenia would be a better name in the era- see the conception of the Duchy/Principality of Ruthenia (Księstwo Ruskie in Polish) as a third Commonwealth state that appeared in 1650's).

Brilliant! Most significant thing here is, IMO, WE affecting morale of armies. Will make wars much more realistic.

Definitely agree and with great trepidation. A long war could be an utter disaster now, with a terrible military defeat followed by uncontrolled rebellions against which your low morale army would have little good effect.