Europa Universalis IV: 1.33 Open Beta Updated (February 11th)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Very nice work! I have some suggestions though:

The "Sino-culture" names do not sound very interesting, nor historical. It looks very artificial, too. How about some changes like the Manchu case?
Sino-Vietnamese --> Jiaozhi
Sino-Tibetan --> Zang
Sino-Altaic --> Menggu
Sino-Korean --> Joseon or Chaoxian

Now almost all tags around Ming can benefit from the new changes, but Chagatai remains an exception. Maybe a change like the following can solve this issue:

Chagatai can form Liao when the following conditions are met: (Western Liao, 1124-1218 was a sinicized dynastic empire in central Asia, a successor state to the Liao dynasty of China)
- Primary culture changed to Uyghur
- Has converted to Buddhism
- Has controlled and cored all the Chagatai and Yarkand lands (in 1444 setup), and Hami, Yumen, Samarkand, Zhangye
Effect:
- Country name changes to "Liao"
- Becomes a monarchy and takes` government reform "Chinese Kingdom"
- Sinicize Uyghur culture to Huihu (Chinese name for the uyghur people before they converted to Islam) or Khitan-Uyghur
- Gain permanent claims on Mongolia and Manchuria regions, as well as West Gansu, East Gansu, Shaanxi, Shanxi, North Hebei and South Hebei areas
- Is an end-tag
- Gain new mission tree (a tree like the Manchu one)
- New ideas (can be very close to the Chagatai ones, but with a new name)

These conditions are almost impossible for AI but will add a lot of fun for players. It also has historical basis, at least to some extent.
The chahetai route is terrible, the history of Chahetai itself is very interesting, Timur theory was his vassal, he also had relations with the Yuan Dynasty, we can start from these two, including the introduction of Islam to China (secular or fundamentalist), as for the Western Liao, do you know after the Western Liao (Kerman dynasty) this is more historical
(After the fall of the Western Liao, a Khitan general fled to Persiand later went to Mongolia)

I may have missed it because the list of fixes is very long, but : the Revolution still has no impact on diplomacy (recomposition of alliances and constitution of revolutionary vs monarchist state blocs) ?

Regarding artillery retreating from the back row and the AI.

I want to compare how large the difference in army strength is between the optimal army composition and the average AI army composition in the following two scenarios:
(i) As implemented right now in the 1.33 beta,
(ii) As implemented right now in the 1.33 beta but with artillery not retreating from the back row.

In order to do this we need to determine the optimal army compositions, the average AI compositions and their associated strength depending on the number of troops involved.

To do so, define the following:
T:= the total number of regiments in a given army,
A:= the number of artillery regiments in the army,
F:= T-A the number of front line (inf +cav) regiments in the army,
a:= the relative strength advantage of a front line regiment supported by artillery vs a front line regiment not supported by artillery, (this depends on a lot of things like tech and modifiers but can be explicitly calculated for any given situation)
b:= the relative strength of an artillery regiment in the front line vs a front line regiment.
CW:= the combat width of the province where the battle takes place.

For ease of strength calculation, we normalize in such a way that the strength of a front line regiment is 1.

We will focus on situation (ii) first:

Optimal compositions:
Clearly we need to make a case distinction here:

Case I:
If T=<2CW then the optimal army composition is A=T/2,

We then calculate the strength of the army as:
Str_O(T)=0.5Ta

Case II:
If T>=2CW then the optimal army composition is A=CW,

Str_O(T)=(T-CW)a

AI compositions:
Note that for most of the game the AI runs a fixed ratio of approx. A=0.4T. This means we need to distinguish between 3 cases:

Case I:
If T=<2CW then the AI army composition is A=0.4T, where A<CW

Str_AI(T)=0.4Ta+0.2T

Case II:
If 2,5CW=<T=<2.5CW then the AI army composition is A=0.4T, where A=<CW

Str_AI(T)=(2CW-0.8T)+(1,4T-2CW)a

Case III:
If 2,5CW=<T then the AI army composition is A=0.4T, where A>=CW

Str_AI(T)=0.6Ta+(0.4T-CW)b.

Strength Quotient:
We can now calculate the quotient of army strength between the optimal composition and the AI:

Clearly we have to look at three cases again:
Case I:
If T=<2CW then
(Str_O/Str_AI)(T)=0.5Ta/(0.4Ta-0.2T)=0.5a/(0.4a-0.2)

Case II:
If 2,5CW=<T=<2.5CW
then
(Str_O/Str_AI)(T)=(T-CW)a/(2CWa-1,4Ta-2CW+0,8T)

Case III:
If 2,5CW=<T
then
(Str_O/Str_AI)(T)=(T-CW)a/(0,6Ta-0.4Tb+CWb)

We will look at situation (i) next:
With artillery retreating everything is a bit easier to analyze, as combat stays consistent when exceeding CW.

We get:

Optimal compositions:

Optimal composition is A=0.5T and we get:

Str_O(T)=0.5Ta

AI compositions:
Note that for most of the game the AI runs a fixed ratio of approx. A=0.4T.

Therefore:
Str_AI(T)=0.4Ta+0.2T

Strength Quotient:
We can now calculate the quotient of army strength between the optimal composition and the AI:

(Str_O/Str_AI)(T)=0.5Ta/(0.4Ta-0.2T).

So what do we learn from this. As long as T=<2CW the AI performance is not affected by the change at all.
When T>=2.5CW the combat without artillery retreating degenerates in such a way that A/T is dependent on T, clearly an AI which operates on the assumption A/T constant is not well adapted to the situation.
The case 2CW=<T=<2.5CW can be seen as an interpolation of the other two cases where combat only partially degenerates.

Therefore, the crucial case to analyze is T>=2.5CW. Here the 1.33 system acts as a continuation of the system with T=<2CW, while the other system starts to degenerate more and more.

So we compare: 0.5Ta/(0.4Ta-0.2T) and (T-CW)a/(0,6Ta-0.4Tb+CWb)

Now under the assumption that one does not want to have artillery in the front row one has b=<0 (So b=0, because one can retreat in EU4).
In this case the quotient of situation (ii) divided by situation (i) is:
(T-CW)a/(0,6Ta-0.4Tb+CWb)/0.5Ta/(0.4Ta-0.2T)=(T-CW)(0.4a-0.2)/0.5a/0.6T=(0.4Ta+0.2T-0.4CWa-0.2CW)/(0.3aT)=1+(0.1Ta+0.2T-0.4CWa-0.2CW)/(0.3aT).

Therefore, the AI is better in situation (i) if and only if 0.1Ta+0.2T-0.4CWa-0.2CW>=0.

Solving for T yields T>=4CW-(0.6CW)/(0.1a+0.2). With 4 as an upper bound for a being a safe bet, at least with the current techs and modifiers, we get that, if T>=3, we have 0.1Ta+0.2T-0.4CWa-0.2CW>=0 and therefore the AI is better with the current changes in 1.33, i.e. situation (i).

Therefore, the AI is better in almost every case, if the change to artillery is not reverted. There is only a very small gap near T=2.5CW, where the AI would be better, if one where to revert the change.

With the complicated part out of the way, two remarks to other concerns:

1. How much additional army reorganization is needed?
In 1.32 every stack which contains infantry (so in the MP meta every stack) takes casualties and therefore needs to be constantly reorganized. One way around this is to include more infantry than CW. In 1.33 the number of stacks which contain infantry is smaller or equal than in 1.32 (I think this should be clear).
Now what could lead to reorganization being more complicated? Wanting to avoid more infantry than artillery in any given stack.
But is this necessary? Lets compare:
One stack with A=F and one with A<F. The fear is now that, if all artillery retreat and only infantry remains, the infantry fights inefficiently. But what happens to the army with A=F when all artillery retreats.? It loses the battle. Therefore infantry entering the front row without artillery support needs to be worse than losing the battle.
Is this the case?
If you can retreat, certainly not, as you can just retreat your infantry. Which gives you losing the battle as an option and is therefore strictly better.
If 12 day have not passed yet, then it probably prevents a stack wipe which is also better.
So in conclusion, adding more infantry to stacks is maybe not needed but also not harmful for the battle.

2. The MP meta will change. Yes it will, but it is not clear that it will consist only of large mixed stacks. At least, if you do not ignore attrition. Probably just watch the video by @Distinct for this. It is very insightful.

And maybe some other potential upside of cannons not retreating, which should be pretty clear when looking at the strength calculations above:
1) Battles are shorter (up to 50%) and having more troops gives you less of an advantage (also up to 50%). In 1.32 the effect of troop quantity on strength is superlinear and 1.33 it is linear.
2) This also leads to gathering all troops for one battle being less efficient for large countries, which could lead to multiple fronts being more advantageous. This could also increase skill in MP.

Sorry for all the math. But discussing something like this requires at least some mathematics.

Edit: Clarified the AI strength calculation a bit, using quotients instead of differences.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Can you explain what you want to say with your screenshot and the attachment? "The Mandate of Heaven Lost" is a triggered modifier which countries with the celestial empire reform can get if the Mandate of Heaven DLC is not enabled. "Lost Mandate of Heaven" is a modifier which a country gets for 20 years if it loses the mandate of heaven (which requires the Mandate of Heaven DLC to be enabled).
its sound the same

The new Tier1 +40 absolutism modifier for the republics feels weird and should be reduced. The republics are already getting +10 absolutism with tier 3 and +25 with the last tier. If we add it all up, Free Cities or Dutch Republic reach more max absolutism than France, Russia, Sweden or even Prussia.
For example Dutch Republic 165 max absolutism or Military Dictatorship 185 max absolutism vs. Prussia with just 170.
Which +40 absolutism modifier? Republics got a new -40 absolutism modifier in their base reform and the tier 1 reforms where changed accordingly(e.g. Free Cities now have +20 max absolutism and if you combine that with the -40, you end up with the -20 which they had before).

• 3Like
Reactions:
- Adjusted the requirements of the Chinese Kingdom government reform so that a released Dali, Yi and Miao can benefit from the reform. Also, all Sinicized cultures such as Sino-Korean or Manchu are allowed to take the Chinese Kingdom government reform too.
It looks like AI Manchu will always keep their horde government.

About Ming, I don't know why, but they tend to push northward like crazy:
Ming.jpg

Which leeds to cripple the Jurchen tribes, and then release a gigantic Shun (impossible to counter for the Manchus):
Ming2.jpg

I've seen this 3 times out of 5 games with the 1.33.1 beta patch. The two others were a successful Ming, and a classic Mingsplosion releasing a "Shun dam". About that last issue, something must be done concerning the Liaoning area and Manchu's government, or Qing will stay an exclusive player thing.

The Chinese Kingdom reform itself works pretty well! AI makes great use of it. Except for the southern marches of Dali, Yue and Wu. They tend to sit on their 100% liberty desire because they are unable to ally each other, and an external independence support doesn't help either (they are evaluating their strength individually).

• 1Like
Reactions:
In case that Dai Viet can choose Dai Nam or Viet Nam as decorated name, perhaps u can do same things to Korea, considering that although it's already a canon but not that exactly

Joseon

Gorgeous (I believe that u know what these two are)

Heoning (as an alternative choice presented to Emperor of Ming. In history he chose Joseon between two)

By the way I'm wondering that when Chinese kingdoms without port start their mission with colonize Taiwan, Ming's mission tree will be completely useless before they acquire a port

Again by the way that, the alternative name "Viet Nam" of Dai Viet is a little bit amusing when it comes to choose. Sorry that I didn't point it out as soon as 1.31 releasing out, but if understand that what the name actually meant at that time, may find out that it's really not that suitable for it after ruling CE

Again and again by the way that, no matter which Altaic culture of these four, no matter at present or during eu4, they are all Mongols. I certainly don't understand that why must call it X-Altaic but not X-Mongol. I'm wondering that using the word "Altaic" seems not that popular during eu4. It's Mongol from past to now.

Last again but not by the way, thank u there thousand for reworking east Asia. It might be the happiest thing I rush into this month.

Many, many thanks.

Revolution in a province will increase the local unrest by 0.25 per Absolutism instead of 0.5 local minimum autonomy.
Whoa, what!? No, no, no...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Which +40 absolutism modifier? Republics got a new -40 absolutism modifier in their base reform and the tier 1 reforms where changed accordingly(e.g. Free Cities now have +20 max absolutism and if you combine that with the -40, you end up with the -20 which they had before).
You are right, my fault. I shouldn't just play in ironmode. The only thing i saw were tier1 republics with green absolutism and I got paranoia.:eek:

So I'm about 40 years into my first observer run in the updated beta, and what I'm really noticing is...very little. As in, very little is happening. England and France fought their war over Maine, Burgundy tried to conquer Calais and Liège, England conquered part of Scotland, the Ottomans have expanded into the Balkans and fought Venice, Austria used some of Hungary's claims to grab a little territory, Muscovy and Denmark divvied up Novgorod and the Livonian Order, Danzig got free and ate the Teutonic Order, and North India and the Middle East are messy. All as usual.

But it's 40 years in, and I don't think the HRE princes have fought each other at all. Italy has left the HRE, but there have been no territorial changes in Italy at all aside from the Papal State and Savoy annexing some of their subjects and Naples gaining independence. Castile, Aragon, and Portugal haven't fought each other at all. In South India, Bahmanis and Vijayanagar have rivaled each other but haven't fought one another at all. Ayutthaya has annexed its subjects in Indochina, but it hasn't fought Lan Na; in fact, Lan Xang, Dai Viet, Khmer, Champa, Ayutthaya, and Lan Na have all left each other alone altogether. Nusantara/Indonesia is much the same, with Malacca making some of its neighbors tributaries but not seizing any territory. Ming and Oirat have taken some provinces from their neighbors and from one another, but no massive expansion there. The most interesting things in the game right now are that Gujarat is thicc and Delhi has taken over bits of Afghanistan.

I'm not sure whether anyone else is seeing what I'm seeing, and it's possibly the Reformation kicks in and things get interesting, and I'll need to do a couple more runs. But it seems like right now a lot of countries are not taking missions (for instance, Switzerland hasn't gotten its permaclaims on Three Leagues, which usually happens in the first few years of the game), and while they're fabricating on and rivaling one another, they're not actually going to war. It's really weird.

Пока не могу сказать точно, но очень скоро! Однако, как упомянул Бьорн, это должна быть последняя партия изменений перед выходом полного патча. Идея состоит в том, что если эта бета-версия будет стабильной, это будет сборка, которую мы будем выпускать для всех. Внесение дополнительных поспешных изменений к тому времени может поставить под угрозу стабильность патча и вызвать новые проблемы (и разве мы все ненавидим это...?)
Это необходимо сделать до нападения Путина на независимое государство Украина. Иначе, живя в путинской помойке, я не могу обновлять никакие игры, выпущенные ИП.

I just looked up the issue.
The good news is that the decision to form Prussias is still existent.
The bad news is that it visible after Protestantism, Reformed or Anglican is available, which is not intended at all.

So, don't worry, Prussia has not been removed. Though I am sorry for the circumstances. I will see if that can be fixed before 1.33 gets released, but again, I cannot make promises in that regard :(

Thank you :)
Anothering thing that i noticed:
When my allies ask me for money/soldiers... in exchange for favours, i lose the money but get no favours.

I just started a new campaign and don't want to screw up the save with the update. What are my options? Do I have to go the beta key route and roll back to the previous version once the game updates? Can I force Steam to not update the game? Can I turn off my Internet, launch the game in offline mode and load the save, then turn the Internet back on?

There are 2 main concerns regarding this beta that should be adressed as quick as possible:
-The Korean-Manchu event makes a relatively weak Manchu even weaker, because it takes all Korean land in exchange for a 100% LD tributary Korea that will break free as soon as it can, further weakening Manchu. This event could make sense for a strong and united Qing, but not for a weak, recently formed Manchu
-The Manchu-Ming independence event makes little sense: When Manchu forms, they aren't in a position where they can challenge Ming, but I have seen that they choose to ally Ming once they're independent! This makes little sense and weakens even more Manchu. This event could be moved to the Ming Crisis disaster, and probably give negative opinion modifiers to both Manchu and Ming (The Seven Grievances, as it happened historically)

I just started a new campaign and don't want to screw up the save with the update. What are my options? Do I have to go the beta key route and roll back to the previous version once the game updates? Can I force Steam to not update the game? Can I turn off my Internet, launch the game in offline mode and load the save, then turn the Internet back on?
If you started on the 1.33 beta you can let the new version update and keep achievements, I continued my Kilwa game and earned my last achievement after the update.

If you are on 1.32, then when 1.33 officially releases you should roll back your game to 1.32, or turn off automatic updates until you finish your current run.