Europa Universalis IV: 1.33 Open Beta Updated (February 11th)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there going to be a fix to Revolutionary China being impossible to achieve? There is a whole flavour event and cosmetic name change written for when the Emperor of China becomes revolutionary (event id = revolution.40), but the revolution disaster is completely disallowed for the Emperor of China, so this event can never occur unless you become Emperor of China during the disaster.

Reactions:
Regarding the CB changes: the way it works now is that you can still take provinces as long you also take your primary war goal.
For example: a very popular strategy is to take the Cheb gold mine as Austria in the PU war. The way it works now is that you cannot select any provinces until you have the "Union with Bohemia" peace treaty selected. If you have done then you can conquer provinces atop of it.
In a way, it works like the Independence War works in 1.32 - you cannot take provinces unless you also demand your independence.

The parliament changes are mostly for modders than for the game itself. Before the change, the nobles estate would always vanish if you have the parliament trait active. With this change, however, it is now possible that you can mod a parliament mechanic to a government without forcing the nobles out of your country.
The functionality of the 5th reform has not been changed though. If you enact you still remove the nobility estate from your country and gain all their crownland as intended.

Regarding the dip rep stacking: I think this is a byproduct of a change which allows the stacking of country modifiers. However, I do not have a definitive answer if that is intended or not though.
Fortunately, there is an estate privilege which allows you to annex vassals without getting a dip rep hit though ;)
Thanks for the reply. I was aware what the proposed solution was in regards to CBs, I was just afraid that you reversed course on it in the end, since the changelog doesn't mention anything about them.

In regards to the dip rep stacking, I'll be curious to see where you'll land on it in the future. The nobility privilege is a stopgap for sure, but heavy vassal play also makes use of the Parliament and its -15% annexation cost debate, so you either have that or the nobility. I don't particularly mind if metas are sometimes shaken up, and if it turns out that the duration stacking will be permanent then so be it.

I think all of these cleared up my gripes with 1.33, I have yet to see how the fort-spam tweaks turn out in practice (thankfully it's the weekend), but allow me to jump the gun and congratulate the team for the work done on the patch, the game is shaping up to be better then what it was for the last couple of years.

Minor quibble, but when a CN that owns the entirety of the game's Louisiana region gets independence it always forms Illinois instead of Louisiana because of the way the AI prioritizes decisions. It will only form Louisiana if it doesn't have the land to form Illinois, which feels backwards since Louisiana refers to the entire region.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I would like to bring attention to the following bug which causes personal unions to break during estate led regencies:

This seems to be a relatively common issue
Good griefs, that is a rather painful experience.
I doubt we will get a tooltip for 1.33 for that one, but be ensured that I have this on my personal TODO list.
A tooltip? Did you accidentally write "tooltip" instead of "bugfix" or are you saying that it is intended that the event Estate's Leadership Challenged replaces the regency in a junior partner if it happens to them and thus breaks the PU? The senior partner gets no say in this and can't really prevent the event. And the event doesn't change the heir so when the regency ends, you have two independent countries which have a ruler with the same name, birthday and monarch points.

Reactions:
A tooltip? Did you accidentally write "tooltip" instead of "bugfix" or are you saying that it is intended that the event Estate's Leadership Challenged replaces the regency in a junior partner if it happens to them and thus breaks the PU? The senior partner gets no say in this and can't really prevent the event. And the event doesn't change the heir so when the regency ends, you have two independent countries which have a ruler with the same name, birthday and monarch points.
My apologies, I got that issue mixed up with another one when I wrote the reply.
Yes, the event needs to be fixed as PUs breaking away through this is really frustrating.

For reference, my head was for some reason thinking about that issue (I had it open in another tab and for whatever reason I thought you were referencing to this (which would indeed need a tooltip).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Concerning this, are there plans to up the AE and warscore cost for taking provinces beyond your primary war goal? It doesn't feel right for them to cost the same as they would under conquest CB.
There are no plans to adjust them for 1.33.
From my ongoing Russia game, lots of good changes in the beta but i feel something must've been overlooked here
View attachment 806017

Why exactly am i not getting revolution progress? The game considers me the most powerful nation in europe for one trigger, but not for the other!

Also an interesting detail, the revolution spawned in my chinese provinces (a 50dev ai-developed Luoyang, to be exact), and categorically refuses to spread to non-asian provinces. After some initial spread in the vicinity it leaped to persia and samarkand, but after running out of 30dev asian provinces it is now confined to sub 5 dev provinces in siberia and central asia. I had to do quite a bit of manual dev to hit the 20% target for disaster to even show up.
Okay, I found the issue: there is another condition to trigger the revolution, which is having your capital being occupied by rebels. However, the trigger has been misplaced and is now in the one scope which asks you to be the most powerful European nation. I really hope that we get this fixed before 1.33, but due to stability of patches I cannot make promises.
I recommend for the time being to lower your stability by no-cbing some OPM. This is not a pretty solution, but at least it guarantees your revolution.

• 1Like
Reactions:
My apologies, I got that issue mixed up with another one when I wrote the reply.
Yes, the event needs to be fixed as PUs breaking away through this is really frustrating.

For reference, my head was for some reason thinking about that issue (I had it open in another tab and for whatever reason I thought you were referencing to this (which would indeed need a tooltip).
Thanks for the answer and of course I accept your apology :).
And also thank you for considering a tooltip for the introduce heir button. I think by now I have had to explain to dozens of people(mostly on reddit) that the reason why their allies have become domineering is that they introduced an heir.

Okay, I found the issue: there is another condition to trigger the revolution, which is having your capital being occupied by rebels. However, the trigger has been misplaced and is now in the one scope which asks you to be the most powerful European nation. I really hope that we get this fixed before 1.33, but due to stability of patches I cannot make promises.
I recommend for the time being to lower your stability by no-cbing some OPM. This is not a pretty solution, but at least it guarantees your revolution.
Thanks for taking a look. It's a trivial issue anyway, a quick 50 loans is pocket change at this stage. However it's nice that we'll have an option for getting the revolution without intentional self-sabotage :)

Reactions:
Nice. Still confused why the patch is named France :p

• 3Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
More revolution fun, this time with the CB
As a revolutionary you only have access to the spread revolution CB, which used to be the strongest CB in the game. Now, not so much.
eu4_23.png

So i can't take any provinces without first enforcing the spread revolution wargoal, however, as my troops siege down territory they also spread revolution there and you quickly end up with this situation.
I can presumably work around it by leaving a single province unoccupied and free from revolutionary zeal, but there is little conquest to be made after spending 60% warscore on enforcing spread the revolution.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Am i crazy: it seems I can´t form Prussia anymore.
The decision isn´t there...
Tried it with Brandenburg and Teutonic Ordner.
No, you don't. I have the same issue, the decision to form Prussia has been deleted, even as Brandenburg with the prussian lands required...
I just looked up the issue.
The good news is that the decision to form Prussias is still existent.
The bad news is that it visible after Protestantism, Reformed or Anglican is available, which is not intended at all.

So, don't worry, Prussia has not been removed. Though I am sorry for the circumstances. I will see if that can be fixed before 1.33 gets released, but again, I cannot make promises in that regard :(

• 11Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Really liking the look of these changes — thanks, dev team, and thanks @Pavía for being so responsive in all these threads.

The one thing I miss in this thread is some views of the AI observer runs! Maybe I'll have to do some of my own this weekend. It's always fun to see what those crazy AIs get up to. (I do enjoy the idea of an AI Korea rampaging through Manchuria and igniting coalition war after coalition war like it's roleplaying one of The Red Hawk's A-to-Z games.)

I just looked up the issue.
The good news is that the decision to form Prussias is still existent.
The bad news is that it visible after Protestantism, Reformed or Anglican is available, which is not intended at all.

So, don't worry, Prussia has not been removed. Though I am sorry for the circumstances. I will see if that can be fixed before 1.33 gets released, but again, I cannot make promises in that regard :(
Ty so much!

Hello, I want to say that I played 1.33 beta very fun and would review one bug!
20220212090423_1.jpg

20220212090429_1.jpg

When the special_regency_events.6, "Jung Soon" occurs while Korean heir is older than 15 years old, and if players take "make her regent" or "give her the country" options, it has a possibility to make Korea has no heir with the queen Jung Soon, who has no dynasty or some others.
(especially when players choose the first option, the problem must occur)

If Korean had no heir when the event occurred, the clan of Yi lost their dynasty so easily.

Other conditions, usually the age of a heir is under 15, the heir of the clan of Yi remains or occur normally.

It seems like too short to fix it until the release date, so I wish it would be fixed until 1.34! :)

p.s. There are another bug that some kind of name is repeatly named on AI and Player, for example "Babur" of Timur, "Takauji" of Ashikaga, "Hongwi" of Korea, "Bukuri Yongson" of Manchu and so on. PLZ check it!

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Not sure if this is the place, but some feedback regarding the idea group changes, especially Naval.
Single player view only, since I've seen Naval have a niche in multiplayer.

Anyway, the reason Naval isn't being taken isn't because the group is bad. The group is almost overlay potent in what it does, i.e. make your navy stronger.

The problem is more that navies aren't important in the first place (and also not very interesting).

Some things that could help is give bonuses to land combat while keeping it navally focused.

Some examples: give +1 combat roll and/or siege ability on blockaded provinces. This means your army is more effective when combined with Naval dominance. This way it's a useful group for nations like Portugal, Japan, England, but Austria won't get any use out of it. It also opens up minigames where you can choose whether you go and fight in inland provinces where your army is significantly weaker. (Which is often why you wouldn't take Naval ideas in the first place: your land army can't compete anymore).

Furthermore some additional thoughts:

Naval combat could use some love in general. Why not add some options, like having a defensive bonus when fighting on a province of a coast you own and control with a siege battery. Would essentially function the same as a fort on mountains where you also get a bonus as defender.

Also, even though it was recently buffed somewhat, I feel trade fleets are not important enough. Usually the best play is just to conquer all provinces in a tradenode and if you ignore or forget navies it's no big deal. Having trade fleets give some additional bonus (+trade power, or even increase the total output, like trade companies do now, of that node) would make navies way more important. Imagine having Maritime the best money making group because of access to great trade fleets.

• 3Like
Reactions: