• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EU4 - Development Diary - 20th of December 2016

Greetings all EU4 players!

The EU4 team is currently wrapping up the year by fixing some bugs on a few new great features that are yet to come. Everyone on the team is very excited for the upcoming expansion and we can’t wait to announce it. Two people have already started their Christmas vacations, whereas the most of us will leave on Thursday / Friday this week.

2016 has contained a lot of changes to the team and we’ll still keep experimenting, learning new things and find new ways to work. One of our legendary AI-programmers has unfortunately left the team to try his own wings - but we’ve also got two new additions to the team who have already proved themselves highly worthy. During the development of Rights of Man we also had the opportunity to get some help with creating events from two content designers in the CK2 team. More than ever before we’ve had structured feedback sessions (retrospections) regularly as well as new exercises in estimations every now and then. But even though lots of changes happen all the time we fortunately still have Johan as a cornerstone who has worked with EU4 longer than any of the rest of us and knows in which direction we’re going with the future expansions.

This year we’re also taking pride in having released Rights of Man, which received a Steam review of 86% - sharing second place in terms of EU4 Steam Review on par with El Dorado and 2% below Art of War. This is a great result and we aim even higher for the next expansion.

Additionally we’ve managed to get two (!) of our dedicated fans to become translators for us in French and German respectively - which is just in line with our vision of being close to our fans. Our quality of translations increases with passion and skills. Maybe sometime in the future we will get all our texts translated by fans.

By the way, it was great talking with some of you at the Fangathering at our office some time ago - hope that some of you will join PDX Con next year!

Last but not least I hope you have enjoyed our competitive Multiplayer-sessions as much as we have, the plans and strategies behind the sessions have not been limited to what’s seen on camera but there is continuous talk in the team on how to form alliances even when the camera is turned off. Congrats to Wiz who won!

Thank you for all the feedback you’ve given to us this year, it’s very useful to us and we have people in the team reading your posts every day. Keep talking with us and we’ll keep listening to you.

***Here is a small teaser for next year***

excitingstuff.png

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year all EU4-fans!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions:
Because the US's work practices (in general) are among the least-friendly to workers of all the developed world (barring a few exceptions like the occasional tech company or unionized auto facility that has actually over-bargained).

And it doesn't result in gains, either, at least in white-collar work. A staggering portion of people's work days in the US in white collar jobs is now spent browsing the Internet (hi there, I'm currently on the clock) because there isn't actually enough work to do to support the full employable populace working 40-60 hours a week with few vacation days. This is a consequence of computers and other automation drastically improving work efficiency. But most industries continue to hold on to old standards for employee labor.

Reactions:
Never said it was the standard. Doesn't make it any less of a culture shock for 300 million americans.

Not sure why you think there isn't enough work. This was true in the late 2000's and early 2010's but since then the economy has rebounded. I have no trouble filling my teams 40 hour work week and working for myself on my downtime. If your company is not utilizing it's workforce that is their mistake. They either need to downsize, grow, or tech up their admin ;)

Because the US's work practices (in general) are among the least-friendly to workers of all the developed world (barring a few exceptions like the occasional tech company or unionized auto facility that has actually over-bargained).

This may be true, and you make fair points, however the USA is also the third largest nation on earth, and while China can barely be described as 'developed', India most certainly can not.

The USA also has some of the most dense culture-ethnic diversity in the world.

So I think the USA sets a good 'standard', as such.

Most at pds take 2 weeks in the winter and the 4 in summer.
Law gives 5 paid weeks per year (4 of which has to be given together during the summer months unless the employee doesn't want to).
Paradox has 6 weeks paid vacation (and we do have positions open often these days ;)).
It's not 2 months though but it's more than many places and still seems to work ok for us (and some other European countries). A Swedish work week is 40 hours (unless you're in some special area such as health care which has exceptions through collective agreements) so apparently it's longer than the Danish one.

This is all a bit off topic for this thread though :)

do u need a company italian chef?

i could prepare lunch for the entire office :D

That is because every other month they are on vacation...

Obviously I'm a huge EU4 fan, but this fact is why I'm at times annoyed with bugs more than what may be considered "civil". "No time to fix that concept that isn't working people just paid for, I've got a vacation coming up and need time to pack." We still have protectorates that don't work and Paris in the middle of Africa.

Reactions:
This may be true, and you make fair points, however the USA is also the third largest nation on earth, and while China can barely be described as 'developed', India most certainly can not.

The USA also has some of the most dense culture-ethnic diversity in the world.

So I think the USA sets a good 'standard', as such.

I think those are points most other Western countries purposely forget/don't mention. The smaller, more homogenous a group is, the easier it is to run.

Reactions:
I think those are points most other Western countries purposely forget/don't mention. The smaller, more homogenous a group is, the easier it is to run.
This is true. The US is roughly the same size as all of Europe and has about half the population. Sweden and Germany could both fit inside its national forests and grasslands at the same time while there would still be room for hunting in state parks. The US has 50 states and Europe has slightly over 50 states. When people point out US gun violence I always point out that they should go state by state. You get a much more accurate picture that way. Same with military spending. People forget that the US is a federation of 50 separate countries not a single individual state.

Bit of a tangent though. The point is the place I am from is called murica and here we get 2-3 weeks off a year and usually we don't use them all. My guess is the swedes get so much time off because they have to go Viking and raid England.

Reactions:
This is true. The US is roughly the same size as all of Europe and has about half the population. Sweden and Germany could both fit inside its national forests and grasslands at the same time while there would still be room for hunting in state parks. The US has 50 states and Europe has slightly over 50 states. When people point out US gun violence I always point out that they should go state by state. You get a much more accurate picture that way. Same with military spending. People forget that the US is a federation of 50 separate countries not a single individual state.

Bit of a tangent though. The point is the place I am from is called murica and here we get 2-3 weeks off a year and usually we don't use them all. My guess is the swedes get so much time off because they have to go Viking and raid England.
No, the reason they get time off is basic human decency.

Reactions:
Remember the South East Asia, paradox...

They're really untouched and seems like all of them are just generic things

I hope it's also come out with those asian ships in the teaser, wanna see a Javanese Jung on my maps soon

Reactions:
Remember the South East Asia, paradox...

They're really untouched and seems like all of them are just generic things

I hope it's also come out with those asian ships in the teaser, wanna see a Javanese Jung on my maps soon
Yeah, I made a thread aaaaaages ago on the topic, which somehow you found, somehow, trudging through... all of that... Indonesia got some love during patch,,, whatever patch that was, but it's still sorely lacking. I'm still hoping for a DLC or update with generic Southeast Asian/Indonesian units. Also didn't Indonesians use Pinisi ships, with the pontoons?

BTW, what are you supposed to be, a Majapahit emperor or something? I know what you look like... a pretender!

Reactions:
Yeah, I made a thread aaaaaages ago on the topic, which somehow you found, somehow, trudging through... all of that... Indonesia got some love during patch,,, whatever patch that was, but it's still sorely lacking. I'm still hoping for a DLC or update with generic Southeast Asian/Indonesian units. Also didn't Indonesians use Pinisi ships, with the pontoons?

BTW, what are you supposed to be, a Majapahit emperor or something? I know what you look like... a pretender!

Well, Pinisi are come from Makassar, While Javanese using "Jung" Ships...

It's just bother me as i'm mostly using South East Asian Country in all of my EU IV playthrough... good thing they have their own Name, Ideas, and Factions...

Haha, I'm the Emperor of Majapahit in my last Playthrough, but i'm thinking about Forming Malayan Hindu Republic

How about actually introducing extra ship classes?

For example, Chinese treasure ships could be introduced as an extra class of trade ships, which can only travel along the shore, but have higher trade power than light ships.

Reactions:
ASIA CONFIRM?!

NAVY CONFIRM?!

i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶u̶b̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶h̶i̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶x̶t̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶a̶n̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶j̶u̶n̶k̶?̶

48663315.jpg

also merry chrismakwanzakkah and a happy new year
Its about damn type give me a ticket on this train. Wonder if they have the Ming treasure ships and hope they include Asian portraits and finally give new sprite models for the Ming, Korea, and other Asian factions.

Reactions:
How long until the next dev diary?