• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so glad you are looking at the province names! I played one game with the RNW and the thing that ruined my immersion the most was the totally fucked up way that province names and natives were scattered over the new world. TBH, places like South Africa on the regular map also ruins my immersion.

Reactions:
In CK2, we had a DLC named Sunset Invasion... and people don't like it
Natives being more advanced than Europe have no historical basis. Eurasia + North Africa have greater landmass, population, etc. This allows discoveries in East Asia to spread to Western Europe, and the other way around. More people and more societies means higher chance of technological growth.

A 'Random' America with land available for colonization could not possibly be technologically advanced. Native Americans, if they possess technologies related to colonization, should target nearby lands first. The stationary distribution outcome should result in a continent very much like the old world, i.e. full of states covering most of the map.

*Some* people don't like it. Plenty of people thoroughly enjoy Sunset Invasion. Having a feature like this as an option for when people want to have a little extra variety in their game can only be a good thing.

Reactions:
You are right in this aspect. I apologize for the misuse of 'we'.
However the response in CK2 forum to Sunset Invasion is ...... polarizing at best.

1) The forums are a tiny percentage of the playerbase, what the forums think isn't necessarily representative. There's also plenty of people on the forums who *did* like Sunset Invasion, or disliked it for reasons other than 'advanced natives'.
2) Just because some players dislike a particular DLC or feature is not an argument to deny it to everyone else. It's not like you'll be forced to have it on.

Reactions:
You are right in this aspect. I apologize for the misuse of 'we'.
However the response in CK2 forum to Sunset Invasion is ...... polarizing at best.
It was just the usual moaning whenever anything new is introduced. You don't have to buy all DLCs, so there is really no rational reason to be angry because of it.

I bought SI for CK2 and had a lot of fun with it.

Reactions:
I think that you guys are awesome for revisiting this and improving it for free for those who bought the DLC (as in it was not 'broken'). Bravo, team and paradox.

I have a request for the generator. You see I have the DLC but won't use fantasy generation much past trying it for a game. I like the immersion of real geography.

That said I'd really enjoy and use a middle ground new world generator. One that has the largely the basic shape of the Americas; but with mild to moderate regeneration land to add to the exploration buzz. And of course I'd randomise the tribes.

Reactions:
Speak for yourself, don't presume you can speak on everyone else's behalf.

If you desire to have chances of the Americas being even more advanced than Europe, please make it consistent.

Colonizing Nations in America should target nearby lands first. They need to prioritize nearby provinces before moving on to different continents.

Reactions:
1) The forums a tiny percentage of the playerbase, what the forums think isn't necessarily representative. There's also plenty of people on the forums who *did* like Sunset Invasion, or disliked it for reasons other than 'advanced natives'.
2) Just because some players dislike a particular feature is not an argument to deny that feature to everyone else. It's not like you'll be forced to have it on.

Thank you for the quick response.

Reactions:
... Players will also be able to see the unique seed of their generated world and re-use that seed if they want to play in the same world again. ...

I mentioned this in connection with the last dev diary that discussed RNW a few weeks back, but (given the above) will it be possible to share within the community the "seeds" for what someone considers a particularly "good" new world? Can these be exchanged/downloaded in the same way as the "tiles"?

On a separate note, if we're potentially having an archipelago new world, does this mean you'll be revisiting the restrictions around native americans and ships? Whilst I can see some of the argument for not having them in the "real world" American super-continent, it would be seriously un-fun to be on a small island amongst many and not be able to interact at all outside the shores of where the randomiser decided to drop you. Maybe make their ability to use/not use ships be configurable/moddable or even be controlled from the game options on start-up?

Loving the idea of getting to try out a more satisfactory New World, though - bit like going back 20-odd years to playing Colonization! :)

Reactions:
How will the New World province generation work with regards to province IDs? Will you set certain IDs to function as potential New World provinces (for example, you state that IDs 3000 to 3100 will be reserved for the New World) or will the game choose a set number (100 in this case) of free, unused province IDs to use for the New World? I fear that this might collide with mods that add new provinces, so it would be good to know how it works before the actual release.

Reactions:
One request, if you do manage to get the "advanced natives" feature in, please don't tie it just to the RNW. Let us turn in on in a "normal" game too.

Reactions:
I mentioned this in connection with the last dev diary that discussed RNW a few weeks back, but (given the above) will it be possible to share within the community the "seeds" for what someone considers a particularly "good" new world? Can these be exchanged/downloaded in the same way as the "tiles"?

On a separate note, if we're potentially having an archipelago new world, does this mean you'll be revisiting the restrictions around native americans and ships? Whilst I can see some of the argument for not having them in the "real world" American super-continent, it would be seriously un-fun to be on a small island amongst many and not be able to interact at all outside the shores of where the randomiser decided to drop you. Maybe make their ability to use/not use ships be configurable/moddable or even be controlled from the game options on start-up?

Loving the idea of getting to try out a more satisfactory New World, though - bit like going back 20-odd years to playing Colonization! :)

Seeds will just be numbers, so as long as you have the same tileset you can just get their seed number and punch it in.

Reactions:
Somewhat related to advanced natives, but would it be possible to add CNs to Europe so that I can colonise Europe as the Aztec. Right now Europe is mostly useless with the 75% autonomy floor (granted, I wouldn't get trade from Europe anyway, but CNs aren't all about trade, right?). I understand there aren't CNs in Africa and Asia because of trade companies, but I would love to be able to create 'Aztec Iberia' or 'Incan British Isles'. If not CNs, perhaps make it possible to create client states on different continents?

Reactions:
In CK2, we had a DLC named Sunset Invasion... and people don't like it
Natives being more advanced than Europe have no historical basis. Eurasia + North Africa have greater landmass, population, etc. This allows discoveries in East Asia to spread to Western Europe, and the other way around. More people and more societies means higher chance of technological growth.

It's been made pretty clear by devs several times that gameplay reasons are way more important then historical accuracy. it is a game after all.

Reactions:
Interesting stuff! :) Tiling opens this part up for the modding community in interesting ways!
(Atlantis tile? - check)

Some questions:
  • How would things like tradenodes be added? Something you can specify per tile? Or added via algorithm?
  • How would sea regions fit together between tiles? If you wiggle those a bit for non-straight-lines, you could potentially also use that for land-to-land connections. :)
  • If mods can add tiles and not change the checksum - would that not be exploitable in some fashion for ironman saves? (ironman is not intended to be hack-proof, I know)
Some ideas (from a modding standpoint):
  • Make the specific area & nr of tiles to be 'tiled' adjustable (entirely random world, ahoy?) Total mods could do some cool things with this, for sure :)
  • I envision a tile-generator mod for those who want to have an even more 'totally random' experience. For that purpose, would be good to be able to 'disable' existing tiles in a mod?
  • Open up as many internal settings for modding as ya can! :)

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.