• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Targaryens are behaving impeccably Targayen-ish

Chapter 80: War in Pentos
CHAPTER 80: WAR IN PENTOS
VAERON: March 5th, 110 AC, Pentos
duJSktv.jpg

Pentos. Depending who you asked, it was supposedly richest than Volantis. It sure did help that it wasn’t at the mercy of Dothraki riders. Always a center of the slave trade. Yet it was now under the attack of Braavos, and in dire need of help. Vaeron had hoped that by involving Volantis in this war, it would allow it to regain some influence over the rest of the Free Cities, or at least to help its trade and its prestige.

When he had proposed to join, he had no illusions about which triarch would be sent to the front. Obviously, it wasn’t going to be Benerro. Seeing how he took months before launching a simple slave raid, it would have been counterproductive to let him lead the expedition. As for Triarch Aenar Qhaedar, rumors were that the old man was dying, or at least unfit to come on the journey. This left Vaeron. It was his idea, after all, so he had no issue going. The only problem was the timing. As he was preparing for his leave, his wife had revealed that she was pregnant with their child. Now he was afraid that he was going to miss the birth of his child. After all, there was no reason to expect this war to end anytime soon.

tVnYGUw.jpg

When he first arrived in the city a few days ago, he had been received by the Magister of Pentos, Roro D’han. He had been surprised to find that the man was not only in bad shape physiscaly, suffering from a cancer that was slowly killing him, but also in dire financial debts. His bad management had cost Pentos a lot, and he hoped that Volantis would help to solve this situation. Vaeron would have loved to say yes. Helping Pentos would expand the Volantene influence over the city and enrich the Triarchy immensely. Sadly, he also knew that he didn’t have the network or the influence to take such decision. While he was a triarch, he was politicaly isolated at home, with little true allies to speak of. He wouldn’t be able to ensure an ydeal he made here, and it would only be seen as him trying to work behind the back of his fellow triarchs. So he made no promises, saying only that he and his mercenaries were he to help Pentos in the war effort.

And so this was how he had found himself here, seated in front of the Lord Magister of Three Daughters. After speaking with the Magister of Pentos, he had decided to see if he couldn’t talk strategy and trade with Lord Magister Mero Lornel, just to feel him out for when he came home. The second he walked in the room, however, he had a feeling that this meeting wouldn’t turn out the way he wanted it to.

qoMEFDx.jpg

“Thank you again.” Vaeron said, bowing his head in respect to the Lord Magister.

“I only agreed to this meeting out of courtesy.” He answered coldly. “Maybe the Lord of Light will give me another reason to stay.”

Another zealot. Just great... He had already enough on his hands with Aenar back home, now he had to deal with one following a faith he barely understood.

“I’m here to discuss about the trade situation between our two states, and maybe strategy about the coming battles with the Braavosi?” he tentatively began.

Lord Magister Mero snarked. “Trade? Strategy? Do not act like a friend. The Three Daughters are no friends of Volantis, and you certainly aren’t mine.”

“I… don’t understand. Aren’t we trade partners?”

“A status that I think needs to be revised.” Mero continued.

“Why?”

“You think I’m an idiot?” he spat. “You think I don’t know who you are? I know that you’re a Targaryen, that you’re Daemon’s brother.”

“I doesn’t mean anything.” Vaeron protested.

“Are you sure? Because I heard from my Spymaster that both you and Benerro Maegyr attempted at one point to convince the Volantis to attack us when your brother was pillaging our lands! You were thinking of stabbing us in the back, and you think we want to remain trade partners with you?”

Vaeron bit his lip. Yes, at one point he had advocated to go help Daemon, but that seemed like ages ago, before he was even made Triarch. And yes, Benerro had also advocated to take advantage of the Three Daughters’ weakness, but the idea had been shut down quickly. Still, he hadn’t expected the Lord Magister to be even aware of those talks. Whoever was in charge of his spy network must not be underestimated.

“Then let’s talk strategy…” but he was cut off.

“So you can expose my plans to your brother? No thank you.”

“But aren’t we allies?”

“Oh sure, for now we are.” Mero spat back. “For now. So of course the two of you will arrange so that my troops get the brunt of the damage. That way when everything is over, you’ll be able to attack the Kingdom of the Three Daughters.”

“How could I coordinate with Daemon?” Vaeron “He hasn’t even arrived.”

“My Lord Magister,” said a man entering the room, probably a servant, “a group of ships from the Stepstones have arrived in the harbor.”

Lord Magister Mero raised an eyebrow at Vaeron, who simply sat up and made his way to the door. Daemon really had a bad timing. Now he was certain that there was nothing to get out of the Lord Magister, so he might as well go welcome his brother, would he might hope to at least count as an ally. He was surprised to be among the firsts to make it there. There was barely a crowd to welcome the newcomers. As he walked toward the ships, he could hear the sailors disembarking crates and screaming at one another. He ordered his few slave guards to push through the crowd to let him pass. This was when he finally saw him.

How long had it been since the two of them last met? Five years, maybe? It seemed like an eternity. Yet it didn’t even take him a second to recognize Daemon among the crowd. The small golden crown on his head sure helped. His long white hairs were easy to notice, and his dark armor was distinct from that of everyone around him, with the exception of the man flanking him. He guessed that this was Elaerys, something that was confirmed when the man removed his helmet, revealing white short hairs and a beard. The idealistic optimism Vaeron rermembered had completely disappeared from Elaerys’s face. War must have had its impact on him. Vaeron also noticed the Valyrian sword hanging from his belt. He wondered for an instant where Elaerys could have found such weapon.

zjBvdmn.jpg
1J9lgNV.jpg

It was Elaerys who noticed him first, waving him to approach.

“Are you just going to stand there or are you coming to welcome us?” he screamed.

As always, Elaerys did not share Vaeron’s quiet nature. In fact, he seemed even more outspoken than the last time they met. Vaeron decided to do as he was asked, approaching the two of them, giving them a small nod of welcome. Daemon responded in the same way.

“How long has it been?” Daemon asked.

Vaeron simply shrugged.

“And look at us now.” he continued. “When we left, we failed to achieve what we deserved. Now? Now we rule our own domains.”

From the look on Elaerys’s face, his younger brother didn’t feel included in this sentence.

“Rule is a big word.” Vaeron answered.

“For you, maybe. But I am king.” Daemon insisted.

“It was quite a war we fought for it to happen.” Elaerys added. “And now I’m Master of Ships with my own domain. Everything I could hope for.”

Vaeron noted the bit of sarcasm in his voice. It seemed that Elaerys would have wanted more than what he got in the end, although he couldn’t imagine Elaerys being dissatisfied with Daemon’s success.

“How is your domain?” Vaeron asked him.

“In ruin, mostly by our fault.” Elaerys explained. “My castle has been partially destroyed by our sieges of the island, but at least I was able to begin a garden in there. Hopefully I’ll be able to hire some workers to have vegetables too.”

Vaeron nodded. He had always forgotten how Elaerys took a liking to gardening. Not what you expected from one of the biggest warriors of the Seven Kingdoms. Or was it of the Stepstones now?

“A little help with the unpacking, maybe?” someone screamed from atop one of the ships.

“You can’t even do that yourself?” Elaerys spat back.

“I’m pretty fucking sure I’m not a damn slave anymore. Unless you two were just cunts about that too.”

Vaeron noticed Elaerys’s fist crisping at the answer. Whoever that was, Elaerys clearly wanted nothing more than pound him, possibly to death.

“Come down.” Daemon ordered. “We’ll have more competent people do it.”

A loud sigh of relieve was heard, and a man came of the ship, celebrating the end of his labours by raisings his arms in the air. Vaeron was trying to figure out who it was, as the voice had sounded familiar. He was wearing a similar armor to Daemon and Elaerys, meaning he was probably of Valyrian descent. It was when the man finally removed his helmet that Vaeron’s eyes grew wide out of shock.

bEE7whO.jpg

“Lae… Lae… Laegor? How...? How are you?”

“Lae, Lae, Laeo!” Laegor mumbled. That’s how fucking stupid you sound right now. You know that?”

“But… But you’re dead! I thought… I heard about it and…”

“It was a shock for us too.” Daemon explained.

“But I read the letter saying…”

“Wow! Vaeron reading something! What a surprise!” Laegor sarcastically exclaimed. “He can read! What do you know!”

Vaeron turned to his other siblings. “How… how did you two not kill him already?”

Laegor immediately shifted. “Hey, wait now!”

“It was tempting.” Daemon admitted.

“Still is.” Elaerys added.

“Family first my ass.” Laegor mumbled, rolling his eyes.

“I think it is a good motto, although I doubt a slave could understand.”

The four Targaryens turned to see Lord Magister Merro Lornel standing among the now fully formed crowd, guards at his side.

“You!” Laegor angrily screamed.

“If you’re sick of them, I can still have your cell prepared again.” the Lord Magister taunted him.

Both Laegor and Elaerys had a hand on their sword, while the guards around the Lord Magister were visibly nervous. Daemon was simply standing there, gazing his former enemy right in the eyes. As for Vaeron, he was standing right in the middle, having no idea how to resolve this situation peacefully. Thankfully, someone else did it for him.

“My friend, my friends! Our enemies are the wicked Braavosis, not each other!”

Coming out of the crowd was their host, Magister Roro D’han. The man looked as if he was dying, his sickly frame and bony body making it hard to understand how he was still able to walk by himself. He walked right in front of the Lord Magister, putting a hand on his shoulder.

Un1OJOH.jpg

“Now, I’m happy to see that everyone is here.” the old man said with a smile. “So maybe we could begin discussing strategy, huh?”

The Lord Magister nodded in agreement, and while Daemon did the same, it was clear that he would have preferred to end this by enforcing his dominance over his rival. Vaeron simply sighed of relief.

“Of course, Magister.” Vaeron answered. “Please, lead the way.”

The Magister nodded and began leading the various leaders of the alliance toward his palace. He seemed quite joyful to finally see everyone here. He was probably going to try to drain money out of them too, just like he attempted with Vaeron when he arrived. The palace of the Magister was beautiful, although by now Vaeron had gotten used to those. Volantis had enough palaces to satisfy him for a lifetime. Obviously, each of the leaders decided to leave their men at the entrance, not wanting to make a fuss and turn this into a fight once inside. However, an issue arose when the guards blocked Laegor and Elaerys from entered.

“What the fuck?” Laegor complained.

Vaeron was beginning to wonder if it was really a good thing that Laegor turned out to be alive. He was just as much of a pain in the ass then he was as a child.

“Only the leaders of this alliance can enter.” Magister Roro told them. “Your brothers will have to stay out.”

“What?” Elaerys exclaimed.

“No, he’s coming.” Daemon replied.

“Daemon…” Vaeron whispered. Sadly, his brother was not listening.

“I want to make myself clear. Wherever I go, Elaerys goes. If my brother can’t join me, then don’t expect me to stay any longer.”

Elaerys nodded in agreement.

“Fine…” the Magister relented.

“So now they get a free pass?” Lord Magister Mero complained as he entered the room.

Vaeron then entered, followed by Daemon and Elaerys. When Laegor approached, however, he was blocked by the guards.

“Hey!”

Daemon turned to give him a look. “You stay out. I don’t want to have you complaining next to me.”

“So Elaerys can go but I can’t? How is that fair?”

“Because I said so.” Daemon responded.

He then turned and leaved their frustrated brother behind. Vaeron was happy that Laegor had been left out. The surprise to see his brother alive and well had rapidly faded out to be replaced by the annoyance he caused.

But Vaeron expected to see as much complaining inside, and was proven right the first moment discussions about strategies opened. Daemon quickly made it clear that all he wanted was to go on his own and act alone instead of following orders and cooperate. If it was only him, it would have been fine, but the Lord Magister of the Three Daughters also had his own idea on how the war had to be run. He seemed more interested in a slow advance, which would leave Pentos to take the brunt of the Braavosi offensive. And to add the icing on the cake, Magister Roro D’han was only trying to find a way to get richer through this was. Vaeron could sigh and take comfort in the fact that their numerical advantage would surely assure them victory, even though none of them was trying to work with the others…

LAEGOR: March 21th, 110 AC, Pentos-Braavos border
bEE7whO.jpg

“Fucking horse.” Laegor growled. “Move your ass!”

“I think he’s hungry.” Lord Devin Vizmar said.

“And I think I don’t care what he wants.”

He looked at his mount. The Free Cities couldn’t breed a horse that was worth shit. Couldn’t they just buy some from the Dothrakis? He heard those savages had some of the finest horses in the whole world. Or at least they could have given him a hunting horse. These warhorses weren’t able to keep up with the speed. He found himself missing the stallions in Westeros, the ones he took to go hunt. It was probably the only enjoyable thing he had during his time in the Stormlands. There wasn’t much space to hunt in the Stepstones, both literally and figuratively, with Daemon breathing down his neck. He had hoped that he could at least get a decent horse aand ride around now that they were on the mainland again.

Thanks to Vaeron, his hopes had been reduced to nothing. From what he understood, no one wanted to cooperate with anyone. That was fine by him, as he had no desire to work with the Three Whores. But that bookworm brother of his managed to convince everyone that it was at least a good idea to send scout parties to the mountainy border, just to see what the Braavosi where doing before everyone started doing their thing. How the fuck did Vaeron managed to do that? The man was barely able to talk to women last time he saw him. And now he was riding a shitty horse in a shitty canyon.

“Why the fuck did Daemon thought it was a good idea?” he complained out loud.

“Because we need the info on the enemies.” Lord Devin responded. “And both his Majesty and Prince Elaerys stayed behind in our camp to prepare the troops, or return to the fleet if needed. So they sent you, because the King wants you to prove yourself useful.”

He didn’t like the man’s tone. From what he gathered about the man, Devin Vizmar had been some small time nobleman who chose to join Daemon’s expedition for adventure and opportunity. And because of that, he had been awarded some random island as his domain and could call himself a lord. And now, the man thought himself Laegor’s superior because Daemon and ELaerys trusted him.

2pBZUyO.jpg

“And why am I not the one in charge then? I’m a fucking prince.”

“Well, that would be because the King doesn’t trust you one bit.” Lord Devin explained in a calm voice. “And from the stories I’ve heard, I think I might agree with him.”

“Oh boohoo!” Laegor said with defiance. “They know I’m a better fighter than you.”

“Not denying that. But I do have more experience commanding these men, and I did earn their respect over years of fighting by their side.”

“And why should it…”

Laegor’s words were interrupted by something hitting his shoulder at high speed. While the object, whatever it was, didn’t pierce his armor, the surprise added to the shock of the impact was enough to throw him off his horse. His head hurt as his helmet packed onto the grass.

“AMBUSH!” someone screamed.

He could see Devin Vizmar getting off his horse, although jumping might have been a better word. The lord landed right next to him, although on his two feets, unlike Laegor.

“Courageous for you to take the lead.” Lord Devin praised him. “Didn’t expect you to put yourself in danger.”

Shit, had he? He had been so focus on showing that false lord who was the real leader that he had taken the lead of the expedition, putting himself in arms way. He looked around for his horse, but couldn’t find it anywhere. Must have fled the second he was off. What a shitty horse… And now he had nothing to get out of this mess.

He3 picked up his sword, although he couldn’t find his shield. He looked around. Groups of armed men bearing the colors of Braavos where jumping on them from both sides. One of the archers noticed Laegor, took out his sword and charged at him. The guy had a bow, yet he charged? Laegor wasn’t complaining, really. After all, that moron was just making things easier for him. While he wasn’t dumb enough to think himself the greatest, he was still one heck of a fighter. With his sword, he blocked the incoming strike from the screaming man, punched him in the throat, grabbed the enemy’s sword and then killed him with it, making a big slice where the eyes are, or where in the corpse’s case. A bit of brain fell to the ground, but thankfully didn’t fell on his boot.

He noticed a horse from afar, with a Braavosi onto it. He put his swords away and picked up the bow that his former enemy still held on his back. He had always been good at hitting moving targets, although it had almost always been for hunting. Still, it was easier to hit a armed man on horseback than a annoying dog, and as a bonus he didn’t have to hear Laenara cry about it. Fucking dog, couldn’t sleep for two years before he finally had the guts to do it. Couldn’t believe Maegon hadn’t deal with it before he did. Besides, it proved to be good target practice for times like this.

He hit bullseye and the rider fell off. He shot another few arrows around to get rid of any enemy who might try to get the horse. One of the arrows went off course however, killing some random Braavosi six feet from him. One of the men working for Daemon stood up.

“Thank you.” he said. “You saved my life!”

“Sure?”

He didn’t have time to correct the man on his mistake. The way around the horse seemed clear. Now he could escape, make it to Daemon and tell him that he was the only one who managed to escape, that he had to warn him. Or maybe he could flee again, move east? These Dothrakis seemed nice. Heck, maybe he could go with Vaeron. He seemed rich enough, surely he would spare a bit of his wealth with his younger brother if pushed enough. Someone got on the horse as he was in his thoughts, however. One of theirs, not a Braavosi.

“GET OFF!” he screamed.

The man seemed to have understood differently as he nodded and rode away. Damnit. He couldn’t dwell on it, however, as their numbers were diminishing, forcing him to regroup with Lord Devin. Their troops were slowly being encircled. He cut two men, one with each sword, but there was only so much he could do. Lord Devin had his shield raised, blocking arrows coming at them.

“If this is it,” Lord Devin began, “it was an honor to serve House Targaryen.”

“No fucking way I’m dying here.”

Before Lord Devin could speak against, Laegor gripped on his two swords and jumped back into the action. He newfound vigor seemed to have surprised the first few opponents, as they were to slow to raise their defences. Lord Devin and the other men quickly joined him in the fray, and the battle continued. An hour later, it was still going on, and Laegor was still with two swords, although one was so damaged that it was barely usable, the prince using it as a guard more than anything.

And then he saw it. A massive red lizard flying over them, his shadow passing through the battlefield. Everyone rejoiced as they saw it, while the Braavosis panicked. The Red Wyrm was in the airs, and Daemon on it. A cavalry detachment followed quickly, destroying the enemies as they attempted to flee. It didn’t take long after that for the fight to end.

5E4ca05.jpg

As things calmed down, Laegor allowed himself to remove his helmet. He passed his hand on his eye, which had been blinded by a splatter of blood during the fighting. When he looked again, he noticed Daemon landing among the corpses. The men cheered him as he stepped on the ground, and many bent the knee as he passed in front of him.

“ALL HAIL KING DAEMON THE FIRST!” someone screamed.

“ALL HAIL THE KING!”
zjBvdmn.jpg

Laegor noticed that his brother didn’t stop for them, walking directly to him.

“What?” he spat.

“The men that came back to warn us had a funny story, one I have a hard time believing.” Daemon began.

So that was where the fucker who took the horse went.

“He told me that you told him to ‘get out’ so he could warn us.” his brother continued. “I might not have make it if he hadn’t warn me of your situation.”

Why did every single soldier in this army turned out to be an incompetent, an idiot or a deaf guy? No, scratch that. All armies seemed to be made of the most pathetic their country has to offer.

“I was also told that you courageously took the lead of the scouting party, exposing yourself so to protect your fellow soldiers in case of an ambush.”

“He acted like a true leader.” Lord Devin cheered. “I couldn’t have done better myself!”

Daemon seemed unconvinced. “And you even used a bow to protect your men, even though it exposed your position and made you vulnerable.”

It exposed him? Shit, he had been so focused on the horse that he hadn’t thought of his own safety.

“The prince saved my life.” said a man.

“Me too!” enchained another.

“He even charged heroically when we had lost hope!” added a third.

“A true warrior!” screamed a few.

Daemon bent a bit so his mouth would be close to Laegor’s ear.

“Now, we both know these ‘heroic actions’ were only motivated by your selfishness.” the king whispered. “But somehow you managed to give them a good boost of morale when they needed it. And for apparence's sake, I must now reward you for it.”

Daemon unshed Dark Sister, pointing it at Laegor.

“On your knee.” he ordered.

“Wait a minute!” Laegor protested. What are you planning? I thought I was getting a reward here.”

“You always rented how it was taken from you when it was denied to you, and now that I’m finally giving it you’re going to protest?” Daemon responded. “Now kneel, before I change my mind.”

Something that was denied? Laegor realized what was happening and immediately fell on his knee. No way he was going to let this slip away. Not again.

“In the name of the Warrior, I charge you to be brave. In the name of the Father, I charge you to be just. In the name of the Mother, I charge you to defend the innocent. Arise, Laegor, a knight of the Kingdom of the Stepstones.”

Witrh each passage, Laegor had felt the sword on his shoulders, and each time he had been worried that Daemon would chose to kill him instead. But the words had been spoken, and as he rose up, he had finally become the knight he had always deserved to be.

“Anything to add?” Daemon asked.

Laegor had a smirk on his face. “About damn time.”

XzvFZBd.jpg

Laegor reminds me of some Warhammer 40k book where the hero always try to save his life, but finishing up to get all the glory and getting stuck in his own story.

Ciaphas Cain. I've read the first book, loved it. Although weirdly, I had Cain's inspiration in mind when writing, Harry Flashman (who is more of a jackass than Cain). Flashman is a Victorian soldier described as "a scoundrel, a liar, a cheat, a thief, a coward—and, oh yes, a toady.", but still comes out as a hero in basically every major 19th century war.

Chapter 81: One Last Time
CHAPTER 81: ONE LAST TIME
LAENARA: April 10th, 110 AC, King’s Landing
6vSVGpQ.jpg

“Father, look, look!” Aenys exclaimed himself.

The boy ran to them as fast as he could. Laenara couldn’t stop herself from finding him adorable, running in his little plants with his wide purple eyes. He stopped right in front of them. He thrusted his arm forward, presenting the flowers he was holding.

O67uDkC.jpg

“What beautiful flowers.” Viserys praised him.

“For auntie.” he said while looking away, his cheeks red.

“Oh my, thank you Aenys.” Laenara accepted the gift with a smile, and the boy returned to play in the garden.

Viserys took a look at the state of the garden. The little prince had gotten himself dirty. Many plants had their roots separated, and some vegetables had been put in the ground, but not buried. Viserys allowed himself a small laugh.

VeKXczd.jpg

“Elaerys would kill me if he saw the state of the garden.” Viserys joked. “And I doubt most of the court would appreciate a prince dirtying himself like this.”

“He’s just a child.” Laenara pointed out. “Let him have his fun. He’s not doing any harm.”

“You’ll have to convince the gardeners of that.”

The two laughed. Viserys continued to look at his son in silence for a moment. Laenara could understand what Viserys what feeling, in a sense. Her brother had so many responsibilities that he could barely spend time with his own son. The lack of funds and this war in the North proved to take all his attention. She could see in his eyes how he wished he could be more present. She herself would want nothing more than spend time with her daughter, who she hadn’t seen since her birth. She wondered how Alyssa was doing, if Maegon was treating her well… In a way, that made her a bit jealous of Viserys, who at least could see his son from time to time.

tvCr77d.jpg

“Thank you.” Viserys whispered. “I know I can’t spend much time with him, and it ease my worries to see that you’re taking care of him.”

“Do not worry.” she answered. “Besides, he also has Vaelyx looking over him.”

“Vaelyx is of the Kingsguard. It’s his duty to look over him.”

Laenara didn’t answer, but she knew that it was not the only reason. Vaelyx had always been a family man, one who cared about his siblings and always tried to do what was best for them. And now that the family included little Aenys, it meant that Vaelyx would always be there for him if needed. She was certain of it.

Viserys pointed at the flowers. “He likes you, you know. I think he sees you as a mother figure, in some way.”

“Rhaenys isn’t filling in?” she asked, barely hiding the sarcasm in her voice.

Viserys was about to answer when Ser Hugo of the Vale approached them. He immediately kneeled in front of the bench, although with his size it was simply easier to talk to him on his knee when you were seated. Laenara offered the knight a warm smile. Ever since Ser Hugo had worn her colors at the tourney two years ago, she had enjoyed an excellent relationship with the knight.

5xC1Igm.jpg

“Your Majesty, I’m sorry to interrupt your family time with their Highnesses.” the knight apologized.

“It’s alright.” Viserys had a sad smile on his face, as if he knew that this nice pause of his responsibilities had been brought to an end. “What do you have for me.”

“Her Grace the Queen is asking for you, your Majesty.” Ser Hugo explained. “She insisted that you be present by her side.”

Viserys sighed and got off the bench. “Tell her I’m coming…”

“Is she always leading you like that?” Laenara asked.

“She… she can be more demanding than my previous wives, but I’m sure she means well.”

Laenara frowned. She didn’t share the same faith in Rhaenys.

“Ser Hugo, please assure the protection of my son in my absence.” Viserys demanded.

“Of course, your Majesty.”

“Can I leave him to you for now?” her brother asked her.

“Absolutely.” She took a look at Aenys, who was still playing in the garden. “We might go for a walk before the gardeners find him destroying their work.”

“Good idea.” Viserys laughed, before waving to his son and walking away.

Aenys seemed to have noticed, as he stopped what he was doing and came to Laenara and Ser Hugo.

“Where is father going?” he asked innocently.

“He has some… important duties to attend.” she told him.

She could see the deception on his face.

“It’s okay! We can go for a walk through the Red Keep, hum? What do you think of that?”

The young boy nodded in silence.

“Want me to carry you on my shoulders, your Highness?” Ser Hugo proposed.

The prince nodded again, this time far more vigorously. The tall knight picked the small boy and placed him right behind his head. Aenys seemed to enjoy the height, looking around with fascination.

“Please be careful around the doorframes.” Laenara warned the knight. “We don’t want anything bad to happen to our little prince.”

“Don’t worry. He isn’t the first child I carried up here.” Ser Hugo answered with a confident smile.

The three of them then made their way through the Red Keep. Many servants and nobles stopped to salute the princess and the little prince, waving at him. Aenys tried his best to wave back while holding Ser Hugo’s hair to keep a grip, doing his best to keep a balance up there. The tall knight did everything he could to make sure the child didn’t fall. As for Laenara, she simply led the march, talking with her two companions about nothing and everything.

“Grandpa!” Aenys suddenly screamed, pointing at a small room.

They stopped, and Laenara looked at who the child was pointing. She saw a man with a empty bottle next to him. He was seated at a table, seemingly sulking over. His beard was in bad shape, and his clothes lacked their usual quality. He was also skinnier than before, which might have been why it took her so long to recognize Ser Otto Hightower.

i9xke8w.jpg

“Ser Otto?” she voiced out loud.

It took the attention of the man, who raised his head and noticed the three of them looking at him. Light grew in his eyes when he noticed the small boy on the large knight’s shoulders. He got up approached his grandson.

“Is that my little prince?” the former Hand joyfully asked as he picked Aenys’s cheeks.

The small boy launched into a laugh.

“Granfather!” the boy exclaimed.

“How have you been?” Ser Otto asked him.

“Was with father and auntie!” the boy boasted.

“Oh? And is he here?”

Laenara noticed how Ser Otto was looking around, as if he was searching for her brother.

“He was called by the Queen.” She told him.

“Ha…” all joy seemed to leave his face, making Laenara feel a bit guilty of shuting down his hopes like that. “Well, why don’t you come in?”

“I…” she looked at the empty bottle on the table. “I think the prince has other duties, although I wouldn’t mind staying for a moment.”

She turned to Ser Hugo, who seemed confused by her words. She had to shake her head toward the hallway for him to understand. The prince complained, but had no choice but to go with the knight as he was still on his shoulders. Laenara entered the room as they were leaving.

“I didn’t want him to see his grandfather drunk.” she pointed out.

“Smart.” Ser Otto admitted. “But I can hold my alcohol, your Highness.”

He opened a second bottle. He was kind enough to offer it first to Laenara, although she politely refused to drink it. He shrugged, and to her atonement took a gulp out of the bottle right in front of her.

“Does the… Does his Majesty ask of me?” he asked her.

“He…”

She was searching for her words. She didn’t want to hurt the old man any more than she had to.

“My brother has a lot on his plate. He barely has time for his own son with everything happening.”

“Yes, the… ugh… the war in the North!” he exclaimed. “If I could talk to him, I’m sure… I have an idea how to fix this quickly, stop it from staling. If the King could…”

She stopped him. “That won’t be necessary. My sister has been telling us that the war should be over within a month. All that remains is to take Winterfell.”

She decided to hide the fact that the reports came from Ser Otto’s replacement, the Lord Hand Gwayne Stokeworth, and not from her sister.

“Ha… I didn’t know… I… hum… wasn’t aware of the situation up north.”

He took another sip of the bottle. She felt sad for him. Once, she had felt a small jealousy at the prestige and status of Ser Otto and his family. Now it was hard to just look at him. He had lost both his daughter and his position, and for the last two years had been little more than a pariah at court.

“You… You know? I would have do it.” he declared out of the blue.

“Do what?”

“If I had remained Hand. I would… I would have done everything to get your… your daughter back, like Alicent wanted.”

Laenara nodded, but she doubted that it was true. He had ample opportunities to get Alyssa back when he was Hand of the King, yet did nothing. It sounded more like a last ditched effort to get back in the favours of House Targaryen. No, it had been Alicent that had showed her support in her desire to get her daughter, always trying to plead her case with Viserys.

It seemed that the mention of Alicent still hurt her father, who began to cry tears.

“My poor Alicent… my little girl… How could she die so young…” he cried between his drinking.

“I liked her.” Laenara said. “She was a kind girl, and a part of our family.”

She put a hand on Ser Otto’s shoulder to appease him.

“She… She was such a good Queen… Not like that whore!”

Laenara couldn’t deny it. Rhaenys hadn’t proved to be worthy of sitting next to Viserys so far. She was still the same angry and volatile woman she had ever been. Aemma had been a quiet but wise Queen, and Alicent had been an active and respected bride. Rhaenys though? Only time would tell if she could ask as the Queen she was supposed to be.

“Your Highness…”

“Yes, Ser?”

“Don’t trust her.” He warned her. “Y… Yer sister… she… she’s dangerous. Don’t trust he…”

It was clear that the former Hand a difficulties finishing his sentences.

“Please Ser, allow me to escort you to your room.” Laenara offered.

“Well... alright...”

She helped him get up as he used her shoulder for support. It was hard to walk with a drunken man next to her, but she managed. She brought him to his room, where his wife thanked her many times for the help. It seemed that they received little these days. Laenara wished them the best of lucks and left Ser Otto, telling him to take care of himself.

It was the last time she saw him.

Four days after their meeting, Ser Otto Hightower died at the age of 39, his health failing him. Once the most powerful man of the Seven Kingdoms, he had died almost forgotten by the court, which had moved past him. At the insistence of the Queen, Viserys neither paid for nor attended his funerals, a decision followed by most of the court. Only three Targaryen attended. There was Aemon, who came out of respect for Ser Otto’s son Leyton, who he frequently worked with. Aenys was also there, paying his last respects to his grandfather. And finally was Laenara, who decided that the man deserved to be remembered one last time.

JyzpILQ.jpg

VALENA: April 27th, 110 AC, Winterfell
KkNRiWi.jpg

She passed through the South Gate alongside the Lord Hand, who made sure to be the first to enter Winterfell. Behind them was Lord Grover Tully, who like Valena had no desire to get in a fight with the Hand over who entered a captured castle first. The siege of Winterfell had been a long affaire, one that might have taken longer if the forces of Lord Grover hadn’t joined them at a few months back. The old Tully had been smart enough not to take command, deferring to the Hand so to avoid disputes. It was commendable, something the Baratheons didn’t seem to understand. They had preferred to follow the coast so to remain autonomous instead of coming to help.

0PzuFM0.jpg

“They better not make us wait, or I’ll just haven them dragged out in chains.” Lord Gwayne grumbled.

“I’m sure the Starks will come out.” Valena reassured him. “Lord Benjen is not idiot.”

“Are you sure?” he responded. “He was dumb enough to revolt against the Iron Throne.”

“To my understanding, the Dustins were the driving force behind the war.” Lord Grover pointed out.

“Then he’s an idiot for letting them manipulate him!” the Hand snapped. “What do you want me to say?”

Valena could barely wait for the surrender of the Starks. Not because she hated fighting the war, no. The surrender of the Starks would mean that she wouldn’t have to work with Lord Gwayne anymore. While he would surely remain the Hand once he returned to the capital, she would be allowed to return to her own life, staying as far away from him as possible.

Pj7tqM9.jpg

Valena pointed out at the balcony, where a door had just happened. A group of soldiers from their army was escorting a man outside.

“It seemed he finally decided to show up.” Lord Gwayne smirked.

Descending the stairs was Lord Benjen Stark, Lord Paramount of the North and Warden of the North, although he might not keep those titles for long, depending of his attitude. He had a fur cape over his clothes, and looked in good shape for someone who had just sustained a siege for almost half a year. He walks to the three of them and then immedfiately kneeled in front of their horses.

zF9gScc.jpg

“Lord Hand, your Highness, Lord Grover.” He welcomed them.

“You insisted on meeting us once we took your castle.” Lord Gwayne began, almost ignoring the man’s words. “You better have a good reason for this.”

“I just wanted to express my humble thanks for the people who saved me.”

“Saved you?” Lord Gwayne laughed. “We defeated you. You’re a rebel, and you were brought to heel.”

“Please, oh Great Hand. I wasn’t even aware of the revolt.” Lord Benjen pleaded.

“Please, Lord Benjen, at least show honor in defeat.” Valena asked him.

“I am here at your mercy, your Highness. Why would I take such risk just to lie to your face?”

“Explain.” the Hand ordered.

“I isolated myself in Winterfell, afraid of the Tyrells.”

“The Tyrells?” Lord Gwayne asked. “What do they have to do with any of this?”

“A few years back, we suspected them of acting against the Small Council and the Iron Throne.” Lord Grover explained. “We knew they were involved in various plots against the King’s authority during 107, at least.”

“Indeed.” Lord Benjen agreed. “It was so bad that his Majesty sent me and his Highness the prince Jaelyx to Highgarden. While the revolt of the wannabe prince stopped their plans, I felt at their mercy in King’s Landing. I returned to Winterfell and isolated myself from the outside, leaving my good friends the Dustins to rule in my stead.”

“So you’re saying that the Dustins are the cause of this revolt?” Lord Gwayne asked.

“They wanted an independent North, not me. I was only made aware of it when you besieged Winterfell, and they stopped me from opening the gates before now.”

“We did hear that the Dustins were the ones behind the revolt.” Lord Grover pointed out.

Valena didn’t like where this story was going. Lord Benjen had been confident, almost smiling during the whole explanation. She had a hard time believing that he hadn’t been at least aware of the Dustins’ actions. Sadly, it seemed that she was the only one having difficulties with this story.

“Alright. Then where are the Dustins?” Lord Gwayne demanded. “They should be punished as the traitors they are.”

“They fled before you were able to seize the walls.” Lord Benjen told them with an apologetic tone.Do not worry, Lord Hand. I will make sure that they receive the right punishment.”

“I’d prefer to punish them myself.” Lord Gwayne objected.

“I’m sure that the Hand has more pressing matters to deal with in the capital.” Lord Benjen countered. “Court politic can be quite dangerous. I’ve seen it firsthand. Surely you don’t want to be left behind while chasing small time rebels?”

“No, of course not. Who do you think I am?” the Hand objected.

Valena was once against shocked by the lack of political skills Lord Gwayne possessed. He was playing right in Lord Benjen’s hand. Then again, he had been made Hand of the King for his ability to lead a war, not for his political talents.

“You still need some sort of punishment, Lord Benjen.” Valena started, not wanting the Northerner to get off scotch free. “Your first son shall be sent to King’s Landing as an hostage. I’m sure you understand.”

She noticed him flinched, but he simply acquiesced. “Of course, you Highness. Rickon shall go south with the rest of your army.”

She wanted to continue, but Lord Gwayne dismissed both her and Lord Grover with a wave of the hand. He seemed angry that she had demanded an hostage without speaking to him, even though it was standard practice to take one from a defeated bannerman. Viserys would need an assurance that the North wouldn’t rise up in revolt the second they left. She wanted to stay, but she knew that it would only cause more frictions with the Hand and so left. She rode right next to Lord Grover as they exited Winterfell and entered the army camps.

“So what are you going to do, now that the war is over?” she asked the old Lord.

“I’m going back south.” Lord Grover explained. “I need to get back to the Riverlands. I heard that the Lannisters were attacking in my absence.”

“I’m sure my brother will try to put a stop to it before it get to violence.” she reassured him.

“Let’s hope so. I could really use his Majesty’s help.” he answered. “What about you? Are you going back to King’s Landing?”

She took a moment before answering as she dismounted. “Humm… I’ve been thinking of going north to the Night’s Watch.”

“The Watch?” he seemed surprised. “May I ask why?”

“It’s been decades since a Targaryen visited them, and the last time was when my grandmother Queen Alysanne gave them New Gift.”

“I remember.” Lord Grover told her. “The Starks weren’t happy to have to give those lands.”

“I would be nice to see what they did with New Gift since then.” Valena explained.

“You Highness.”

She turned to see a tall knight approaching her. She recognized Ser Benedict Paege, who had fought by her side during the multiple battles of the war. In fact, he had even saved her life during the battle of the Neck.

hMJ9yUa.jpg

“Ser Benedict, what can I do for you?”

“Did I hear that you wanted to go to the Wall?” he asked her.

“It was a possibility, yes.”

“If you don’t mind, I’d like to escort you with some of my men. I wanted to go visit an old friend of mine who serves in the Watch.”

She offered him a smile. “I wouldn’t refuse the company. Unless Lord Grover has other plans for you?”

The Tully shook his head. “The war is over. I do not require Ser Benedict’s services for now.”

“Thank you, my Lord.” Ser Benedict said.

“Then get yourself ready, Ser Benedict. We’ll depart as soon as the army leaves.”
LhmoDjr.jpg

Laegar remains a great laugh. However, he should be aware - this elevation is only a sign that the universe is getting ready to give him a serious kick up the arse.

Chapter 82: Happy Love
CHAPTER 82: HAPPY LOVE
VAELYX: May 18th, 110 AC, King’s Landing
gqxFfjc.jpg

Today was one of these days, one where he had to follow Viserys around all day, protecting him from any danger. He woke up and went to the royal bedchamber, where he dismissed the guards that were keeping a watch. He had hoped to wait for Viserys and get started without having to interact with the Queen. Sadly, he realized it would not be the case when the handmaidens entered the room. Soon after, Rhaenys came out with her dress and her crown, all ready for her day. Naturally, neither sibling were particularly happy to see one another.

MCoP7oG.jpg

“Your Grace.” he welcomed her.

“Oh, it’s you.” she noted with a small note of disappointment. Couldn’t it be someone else?”

“If you’re worried that I’m here to guard you, then you’ll be relieved to know that I’m actually waiting on our brother.”

“And that’s supposed to make me feel better?” she spat. “Who knows what wicked idea you might try to put in his head?”

He wanted to send it right back at her, but had the decency of keeping his mouth shut. Besides, he had no desire to give her a reason to stay. Having her around Viserys made it ten times harder to talk with his brother. She tried her best to isolate him from the rest of his family, to keep him to herself. Vaelyx wasn’t stupid; he could see what she wanted. She was trying to control Viserys. She had already done so when she sent away every person who would oppose the marriage, from Aegon to their mother. She was now his queen, which meant that he was bound to serve and protect her. However, it didn’t mean that he wouldn’t protect the king from her.

“I don’t like the look on your face.” Rhaenys commented. “What are you planning?”

“I’m planning to do my job while keeping my integrity intact.” he answered. “You should try, sometimes.”

She slapped him. He didn’t flinch, simply remaining where he was and looking at her. She seemed annoyed by this, and he guessed that she would have hit him more if it wasn’t from the sound of Viserys opening the door. His brother seemed to have been in the middle of dressing for the day, his large belly being visible for them to see.

VeKXczd.jpg

“Is everything alright?” he asked. “I heard a commotion.”

“Nothing, dear.” Rhaenys reassured him. “Vaelyx and I were just talking.”

Vaelyx nodded in agreement, although his eyes never left his sister.

“Oh. Alright then.” Viserys said as he closed back the door.

Rhaenys immediately turned to Vaelyx. “When will I get my guard?”

“Ser Sumner is supposed to be in the next room, although I’m sure you can fetch guards from the garrison if you prefer.”

“And have to talk with that idiot of Harwyn Breakbones? Not a chance.”

She walked away, making sure to show every bit of disdain she had for her brother. Her arrogance and self-esteem had gone through the roof ever since she had become queen. Soon after she left, Viserys opened the door, this time fully dressed.

“Vaelyx?”

“Yes, brother?”

“I think I’ll stay in my room longer. I have letters from the realm that I’d like to read before starting the day.”

“Of course.” Vaelyx acquiesced. “I’ll be outside the door. Call if you need.”

Viserys nodded and closed the door. Vaelyx now simply guarded the door, awaiting Viserys to finish his letters. From time to time, he heard his brother laugh out loud, or mention how he would need to talk of this or that with the Small Council. He made an effort to not listen too much, knowing that as a Kingsguard this was none of his business. Viserys was extremely loud, however.

“No, no, no, no!” Viserys screamed.

Immediately, Vaelyx opened the door and grabbed his sword. He didn’t even take the time to wonder why Viserys was saying those words. Better to ask for forgiveness for entering at an inappropriate moment than let his brother fall victim to an assassin. He found Viserys walking around his room, visibly fuming with frustration.

“How dare he?” Viserys rambled. “I’m the King!”

“Viserys, what’s happening?” Vaelyx asked in haste.

“It’s that damn Lord Tymond!”

Lord Tymond Lannister? Vaelyx had no idea what was happening, but slowly closed the door so to let the two of them in the room. If Viserys was complaining about sensible information, better not let any prying ears listen in.

Hqwax5o.jpg

“What’s the issue?” he asked.

“While the brave lords of the Riverlands fought the rebellion, our Warden of the West decided that he could invade their territories!”

“He attacked the Tully in their absence?”

“How can he backstab his fellow Lord Paramount like that, when the realm is in such need?” Viserys complained.

Actually, it was ingenious. Vaelyx had to admit that it was smart to attack an enemy when he was occupied with something, away from his own territories. With his armies in the North, Lord Grover Tully couldn’t respond to any attack from the Lannisters, even if he wanted to.

“Lord Grover asked me to intervene a few weeks ago.” Viserys said.

“And how did it go?”

“I asked Lord Tymond to stop his war, but the traitor had the audacity to tell me that his war was ‘just’.” Viserys pointed the letter in his other hand. He wrote to me that I had no right to tell him stand down! No right? I’m the King of the Iron Throne! I’m his liege! How dare he insult my authority like that? I look like a fool!”
AibidF4.jpg

“So what now?” Vaelyx asked.

“Now he’s a traitor! He betrayed the Iron Throne by disobeying me! And scratch that betrothal! There is no way I’m allowing my brother to get married in this man’s family!”

“You’re breaking Aegon’s betrothal?”

“Of course I am!” Viserys shouted.

Vaelyx now had to treat carefully. He knew that this was the sort of news that Valena would rejoice over, as she had obvious feelings for him. Aegon would surely be overjoyed as well, although he would keep it to himself. He had guessed a while back that there was something between the two of them, although he wasn’t sure if they had acted on it.

“So Aegon can marry whoever he wants, now?” he asked tentatively.

“Aegon can marry his own sister for all I care, as long as his wife isn’t a Lannister!”
T7qb9o5.jpg

That was all he needed to hear. But he also knew that the second Rhaenys heard o fthis, she would try to use it to her advantage. With Valena still in the North and Aegon stuck at the Eyries, neither would be in any position to stop any new political marriage that the Queen would force upon them. Vaelyx only wanted them to be happy, and for this to happen, Aegon had to be released from his duties.

“Viserys, may I make a suggestion?”

His brother waved him to continue.

“You should have Aegon return from his duties in the Vale.”

“I thought their war was still going on?”

“Yes,” Vaelyx admitted, “but Aegon surely did all he could in his time there. He would probably be more useful here or in the North, helping you deal with the end of the civil war.”

“Or helping me to find a way to deal with the slight made by the Lannisters!”

“Or that… yes.”

Viserys was really riled up by the way Lord Tymond had answered, but Vaelyx wasn’t complaining.

“Fine. Have the order to call him back be sent at the same time as the news of his broken betrothal.”

Viserys nodded. “I’ll have a guard send the order right away”

VALENA: May 30th, 110 AC, New Gift
MfOG79E.jpg

“Finally! A village!” Ser Benedict exclaimed.

Valena had a sigh of relief. The journey up north had been more difficult to navigate than she had expected, as none of her companions had any knowledge of the region. While The Umbers had been kind enough to give them directions to the Gift, it had been a difficult journey once they had entered it. Surprisingly, they had barely seen any sign of life in these territories, only forests and snow. They found one village in the Gift before, but instead of finding it booming with life, they found Black Brothers patrolling its abandoned houses. The Black Brothers explained that this village had been the subject of a raid by wildlings, which is why the residents left for the south. Thankfully, the Black Brothers were willing to escort them to the Commander of the New Gift.

“Thank you again for the escort.” She told the Black Brothers.

“We couldn’t let such esteemed an esteemed guest wandering through the wild.” one of them answered. “I’m sure the Commander will be happy to see guests. Are you only visiting New Gift?”

“We’re planning to go to the Wall.” Ser Benedict told them. “Her Highness is interested in meeting the Lord Commander. As for me, I’m thinking of fighting a few wildlings along the way.”

Many of the men laughed at this last remark. Valena smiled. She was glad that Ser Benedict had decided to accompany her. The tall knight had proven to be a for more likeable companion than Lord Gwayne Stokeworth. He was courageous, always taking the lead and doing his upmost best to protect her, and also quite snarky, never missing an opportunity to cause a good laugh.

pqmGsS0.jpg

“Hey, do you know if Rolph is serving in the New Gift?” Ser Benedict asked the Black Brothers.

“Rolph?”

“A septon from the Westerlands. He’s a good friend of mine.”

They took a moment to think about it, clearly searching in their memories for this Rolph.

“There is a Septon Rolph working with the Commander, I think. He never listens to orders, though.”

“Yeah, that’s him.” Ser Benedict confirmed.

“I hope he’ll be happy to see you.” she told him.

As they rode their horses toward the village, Valena notices the tower standing at its center. Probably the residence of the Commander of New Gift and the local garrison. Unlike the previous village, it was full of life. Children were running around, playing in the streets. The fields around the village were tended by workers. There were even a few Black Brothers assuring the security of the smallfolk. They left their horses at the stable and walked their way to the tower. As they approached it, a man in a dress came out. She recognizxed him as a septon, probably Ser Benedict’s friend. The man seemed surprised to see them.
Xe1qvsd.jpg

“Oh no, not you.” the septon jokingly complained. “I thought that never seeing you again was the one perk of the Night’s Watch.”

“Hey, I just came to make sure you had a miserable life here. Wouldn’t want you to be happy or anything.” Ser Benedict retorted.

The two friends embraced in a hug as they laughed.

“Good to see you.” Septon Rolph declared, before turning to Valena. “And who might that be?”

“You can’t tell by the hair?” Ser Benedict asked.

“I’m Princess Valena Targaryen, sister of King Viserys the first of his name.” she told him.

“Oh my!”

Septon Rolph immediately fell to his knee. Valena quickly signalled him to get up. Rhaenys might be fond of these signs of respect, but she wasn’t.

“Please come in while I warn the Commander.” He immediately offered.

Valena entered, followed by Ser Benedict, who had to crouch to enter due to the small size of the door. The interior of the tower had stairs that followed the round walls, connected to rooms over the five floors. Septon Rolph entered a room on the second floor, probably the office of the Commander.

“Commander, we got an esteemed guest here.” he told someone in the room. “You should come out and salute them.”

You could have knocked.” A voice answered him.

“I could have, yeah.”

A sigh could be heard, followed by the sound of someone getting off a chair.

“So, who do we have the honor of welco…”

The commander froze the moment he looked down from the doorframe, his eyes right on the princess. Valena herself was unable to move out of shock, her eyes wide as she looked at him for the first time in years. The last time she met the man descending the stairs; he was wearing a white cloak and was being condemned to serve in the Night’s Watch for having broken his oath. Now his cloak was a dark as his clothes, covered with fur to keep him warm in the winter. His walk was slow and clearly hesitant. She could understand why.

di9jSXV.jpg

“Your Highness.” he welcomed her. His voice was shaky.

“Ser Harrold.” She coldly answered him. “I see that you are doing well in the Watch.”

“I am doing by best to… atone for my actions.”

“You broke your oath, Ser Harrold. Your presence here is not supposed to be for atonement. It’s a punishment.”

“I know I know… But can’t a man still want to serve the realm, even in disgrace?”

“How noble of you.” she told him.

Surprisingly, she realized that she was more honest than she would have thought. It was noble to want to serve, even knowing that you had failed your responsibilities before. In a way, this was what she was doing by having a relationship with Aegon. She scratched that thought, refusing to compare her love for Aegon with an oathbreaker. Sadly, the next question from the former Lord Commander of the Kingsguard didn’t help her attempt at staying disdainful of him.

“How… How is my daughter… doing?” he asked tentatively, clearly uncertain how to tackle the subject.

Valena sighed. She couldn’t be angry at the fact that he wanted to know about his daughter. What kind of parent wouldn’t care about their children?

RBJH1dW.jpg

“I haven’t seen her for almost two years.” she told him. “But I’ve heard that she’s fine. And healthy.”

“Thank the Seven.” Ser Harrold exclaimed out of relief.

“Maids are caring for her, and I heard that Laenara spent time to teach the girl.”

“How kind of her.” Ser Harrold said. “I’m guessing that her Highness Rhaenys is too occupied to take care of the girl?”

“Her Grace now. Remember that she is the Queen.” Valena pointed out.

“Oh… of course.”

Valena noted a touch of sadness in his voice. She decided to ignore it, especially as she noticed both Septon Rolph and Ser Benedict running outside.

“What’s happening?” Ser Harrold asked.

“Some commotion outside.” Ser Benedict answered. “The smallfolks are assembling to see it.”

Valena heard a strange sound outside, one she recognized far too easily from her time alongside her family. She immediately went outside and looked at the sky. Sure enough, she found a dragon flying over the buildings, his rider probably searching for a landing point. She recognized that the golden dragon flying over their heads was Sunfyre, her brother’s mount.

KuwJqlg.jpg

“Aegon?” she whispered.

Sunfyre landed in an open market space, where the crowd quickly assembled to look at the beast, possibly the first they ever saw from so close. She began to make her way through the crowd, helped by Ser Benedict and some Black Brothers. As she arrived at the front, she saw her brother disembark from his mount. He must have been flying for hours. From the expression on his face, she guessed that he had something on his mind. He seemed to notice that among her companions was the former Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, but he didn’t flinch. His eyes were solely on her the moment he saw her. Before she could say anything, he began walking toward her.

omJLKbY.jpg

“Aegon? What are you doing he…”

Aegon fell to his knee right in front of her, taking her hand into his.

“I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Please marry me.” he declared without even a flinch.

This took everyone by surprise, most of all Valena. She was shocked and barely able to speak. Murmures were coming from the crowd.

“But…” she tried her best to hide her blush. “We can’t… your betrothal…”

“Annulled on Viserys’s orders.”

“But it doesn’t mean… you’ll just be married to…”

“Aegon can marry his own sister for all I care.” Aegon quoted. “Viserys’s exact words, according to Vaelyx’s letter.”

“Viserys said that?”

She posed, looking at Aegon. He was waiting for an answer. She couldn’t stop herself from crying, and a bright smile appeared on her face.

“Yes! Of course I’ll marry you!”

She could see the joy on his face as he stood up. He grabbed in for a hug, which was accompanied by cheers from the crowd. She felt a little shy, being so intimate with him while being watched. They had lived their love in secret for so long that it felt wrong to show it to everyone. Aegon seemed to have noticed her discomfort.

“Don’t focus on them. They aren’t here. It’s our moment. It’s just you and me.” he told her.

“I…” she took a deep breath. “Okay.”

“I love you.”

“I love you too.”

And they kissed.

lUiar5O.jpg

PS: Well, Aegon and Valena finally got their happy ending, which I was really happy for when I played the game. I find it somewhat funny that the three Targaryen women all ended up marrying one of their brothers. Oh, and for those that liked the little weirdo that was Tyrianne Lannister, don't worry, because this is not the last time the Targaryens will have to see her.

Last edited:
Well it is about time! :D

Chapter 83: Replacement
CHAPTER 83: REPLACEMENT
AEMON: June 2nd, 110 AC, King’s Landing
ajHCLso.jpg

The small yawn of his daughter made him want to go to bed. As always, his daughter had proven to have a hard time falling asleep. Just yesterday, the poor girl had passed the whole night coughing. Alys had been so panicked that she didn’t sleep, and Aemon had made the trip between his chamber at the Dragon’s Gate and the Grand Maester’s laboratory. Being able to see her sleep soundly was such a rare sigh that he couldn’t stop himself from admiring it. It also made him wonder if he was doing everything right. His mother had insisted that Valerion had the same problems at Calla’s age, but still. Was it not just him failing his daughter?

A0Jjn0l.jpg

“She’s sleeping.” he told his wife.

“Let me see.”

“Are you sure you don’t want to sleep yourself?”

“Let me watch her.” Alys insisted.

Aemon nodded and move beside the crib, allowing Alys to stand right in front of it. Her eyes were red and she was clearly lacking sleep, even more than him. At least he had been able to take naps while Runciter prepared treatments for his daughter. Alys had to stay with Calla the whole night to make sure nothing happened to her. He would have asked a maid from the palace to please come help them, but his wife had been stubborn about this. She wouldn’t leave their daughter in anyone else hands. After what happened to Daenerys, Aemon couldn’t blame her.

ujd8okm.jpg

“She looks agitated.” Alys noted with a point of worry in her voice.

“She does.” Aemon agreed.

Even when she was soundly asleep, Calla couldn’t stay still in her bed. Aemon could only hope that it was simply nightmares and nothing else. He picked a chair and silently brought it next to the crib. He then picked a book from the bookshelf and sat.

“Please, go to bed.” he told Alys. “I can watch over her.”

“No, I can do it.” Alys insisted. “She’s not leaving my sight until I’m certain that she’s fine.”

“I’m here.” Aemon reminded her.

“Yes but…”

“You can barely stand…”

She didn’t have a response to that.

“If something happens… you wake me up before that.” She insisted.

“Ok.”

She sighed and moved toward their bed. This was the exact moment when the door flew open, hitting the wall and making a big sound. Loreth Lansdale entered with a smile on his face, trotting toward his mentor.

“Prince Aemon! Prince Aemon!”

The noise Loreth’s entrance had made was more than enough to wake up poor Calla, who immediately began screaming and crying. The teenager didn’t seem to make the link between his arrival and the crying baby. Needless to say, Alys wasn’t happy.

eFdYizj.jpg

“Is she alright?” Loreth asked, pointing at Calla.

“LORETH YOU LITTLE P…” Alys stopped herself from continuing, instead turning to her husband. “Give me the chair. You probably have something to do if your squire came to fetch you.”

Aemon nodded in silence as he stood up. He gave a brief look at his tired wife, who was taking their daughter into her arms, trying her best to calm the toddler. As he closed the door, he once again began doubting his ability to be both a father and a gate commander at the same time. So far, he had proved only barely decent at both. He gave a look at his squire.

“What? Oh, you want to know what’s going on.”

Aemon nodded.

“The Hand is back from the campaign in the North!” the boy gleefully explained. “He’s coming through the Dragon Gate! I thought you might want to go greet him.”

“Then I’ll go do that.”

The Hand was back? Did it mean that Valena was with him? It had been more than a year since he saw her. He hoped that war hadn’t changed her too. He had studied it enough to know that many commanders come back home disillusioned and broken by war. Valena had always been the brightest of the family and a woman of virtue. He hoped she had returned unchanged.

Sadly, as he approached the gate and asked his men to open it, he noticed that his sister was not among those returning, which gave him a fright. The small band of riders approaching was led by who Aemon guessed to be the Hand of the King; Lord Gwayne Stokeworth. He had this determined posture that was hard to mistake. He seemed frustrated that there wasn’t a crowd waiting for his at the gate. Then again, he hadn’t announced his arrival in advance.. By his side was a knight who he recognized a Ser Alyn Errol. In what now seemed to be a lifetime ago, both men had volunteered to fight as champion for Viserys during the trial by combat of Ser Harrold Westerling. Following them were half a dozen men wearing the sigil of House Errol. Bodyguards under the command of Ser Errol, Aemon rightly guessed.
rHXMsKx.jpg
2YOcLxZ.jpg

Aemon bowed as the men dismounted. The Lord Hand took a long time before waving him to stop.

“Welcome home, Lord Hand.” Aemon welcomed him.

“Prince Aemon, was it?” Lord Gwayne asked. “I hoped that the King would have welcomed me in person.”

“He wasn’t aware of your return.”

Lord Gwayne scoffed at this answer, clearly displeased by it.

“Lord Hand, if I may ask…” Aemon began.

“What?” the Hand spat at him, now clearly in a bad mood.

“Where is my sister?”

It was Ser Alyn who answered. “Our little princess decided to go visit the Wall.”

Aemon pushed a sigh of relief. For a moment, he had been afraid of the worst. What if Valena had fell into battle, and the raven bringing the news had died on its way? Knowing that she was safe and sound… It removed one of his many, many worries.

“Thank you.”

“No problems, ma prince!” Ser Errol jokingly answered, making an exaggerated gesture toward him.

“Enough with the pleasantries.” Lord Gwayne interjected. “I’m going to see the King n…”

“You’re really the Hand? The great Hand?” Loreth asked, his eyes sparkling with excitement.

Lord Gwayne seemed confused at the sight of Loreth.

“And who is this?” he asked.

“My squire, Loreth Lansdale.” Aemon answered calmly.

“Young boy, you ask if I’m the Hand?”

Loreth nodded.

“Of course I’m the Hand! I’m the hero that defeated the northern savages! The man that held the Seven Kingdoms together!”

“Wow!” said the amazed child.

“And now, I’m going to be the guest of honor during the feast tonight.”

“You’re going to pass the night in a cell, that’s what going to happen!” screamed a voice behind Aemon.

The prince got up and looked behind him. Ser Morghil Lychfield was approaching at full speed. Behind him was a full contingent of Gold Cloaks, all with their swords up. They walked to the Hand and surrounded him. Finally, Morghil drew his own sword, pointing it right at Lord Gwayne.

NAOntpR.jpg

“What is the meaning of this?” Lord Gwayne demanded, drawing his own sword.

Ser Alyn Errol and his men also took out their weapons, although notably the knight did not order them to form a protective circle around the Hand.

“Ser Morghil, what are you doing here?” Aemon asked the Commander of the City Watch.

“Lord Gwayne is a traitor to the crown.”

“What idiotic accusations!” the Hand protested.

“What the fuck are you talking about?” Ser Alyn asked.

“Lord Gwayne has been plotting his own ‘Gyles Groster plot’ against the Iron Throne, planning to take the whole region of King’s Landing for himself.” Morghil explained.

“What… what are you talking about?” Lord Gwayne seemed to be searching for his words. “I… I was just… I was showing to the King what reward I hoped for my services. That’s no treason!”

“I saw the letters myself.” Morghil countered. He offered a wicked smile at the Hand. "Being Master of the Whisperers has this sort of perks.”

“You little…” Lord Gwayne was fuming.

“Are you sure about this?” Aemon asked.

“Your Highness, his Majesty the King has signed the arrest order himself.” Morghil told him. “I’m here on the King’s orders.”

This was all Aemon needed to know. While he was still confused about all this, he would do as his brother requested. If Viserys had ordered this, then he surely had his reasons to do so. Good reasons, he hoped.

“Men, surround the Hand.” Aemon asked.

The troops of the garrison joined the Gold Cloaks in surrounding the traitor. Everyone was noticeably nervous. Both his and Morghil’s men weren’t sure if they were supposed to attack or stand still and push back any last stand from the Hand. Aemon was overwhelmed by the situation, especially as he had just been having a simple conversation with the Hand only minutes prior. Lord Gwayne was looking around him, panicked and clearly enraged by the turn of events. Ser Alyn and his men were clearly gauging the situation, but for what, Aemon had no idea. The only one who seemed calm was Morghil, who stood calmly among his men, his eyes never leaving Lord Gwayne.

“I won’t accept this!” Lord Gwayne screamed. “I’m the Hand! I can’t believe the King would have me arrested like that!”

But to everyone’s surprise, it wasn’t Lord Gwayne who made the first move. In fact, he proved to be the victim of it. Ser Alyn struck him in the stomach. The hit was hard enough to make him drop his sword. He then pushed it away with his foot, leaving the Hand defenceless.

“Grab him!” Morghil shouted.

Immediately, Gold Cloaks jumped on Lord Gwayne and restrained him. He tried to struggle, but it proved useless. They rapidly put iron cuffs on him to keep him under control. Lord Gwayne couldn’t stop himself from looking at Ser Alyn with anger.

“You traitor! Why? We could have…”

“We could have done what, exactly?” Ser Alyn answered in an insulting tone. “You’re doomed, and there’s no way in hells that I’ll let you drag me down with you.”

“You’ll regret it!” Lord Gwayne screamed as he was dragged away. “You’ll all regret it! You’ll all regret it! I’ll come back from this!”

The last person to have said such things was Gyles Groster. Somehow, Aemon felt like this wouldn’t end differently.

JAELYX: June 3rd, 110 AC, King’s Landing
cuUljB4.jpg

“You up?” Lucamore asked from the other side of the door.

“Your knocks on my door certainly made it so.” he answered.

“That was almost half an hour ago, when you asked me to wake you up!” the bodyguard complained. “What could take you so long.”

“I need to dress adequately for the Small Council.” Jaelyx told him. “A man needs to look the part.”

“I’ll never understand why you nobles love your clothes so much. You can do alright with a shirt, you know.”

“And that’s why I’m popular at court and you aren’t. Because I do not satisfy myself with a simple shirt.”

He could hear his bodyguard grunt from the other side of the door. He finally decided which shoes would go well with the rest of his attire. He didn’t want them to clash with the rest. He then took another ten minutes to prepare his beard, making sure that it was just the right size. He sometimes had servants doing it when he felt too lazy for it, but today he wanted to work his appearance personally. When he was finally ready, he opened the door to find a grumpy Lucamore waiting for him.

8H24jmG.jpg

“All that time just to look like you always do?” Lucamore complained. “Really?”

“Beauty is in the details.”

“What a stupid thing to say.” Lucamore commented, rolling his eyes.

The two continued their chit chats as they walked through Maegor’s Holdfast. Jaelyx made it clear that he hadn’t picked those clothes for Lucamore, but for the Small Council. It was the first big meeting since the end of the war, and Jaelyx wanted to look at his best. Lucamore didn’t seem to understand what it had to do with his duties as Master of Laws, which Jaelyx chose to ignore. They finally arrived to the meeting room, where one member of the Kinsguard was waiting at the door.

“Let me guess.” Lucamore mumbled. “I have to wait here with the white cloak…”

“No man is greater than his duties.” Jaelyx quoted.

Lucamore grunted once more, but did as he was told, simply opening the door for Jaelyx and standing outside. As he entered, Jaelyx noticed that he was the last one to arrive. Everyone that could have made it was already here. Still, as he sat at the table, he knew that there were three notable absentees. News of the Hand’s imprisonment had spread fast, and now everyone expected him to lose his seat at the Small Council permanently. Lord Grover Tully was also absent, the aggression from the Lannisters forcing him to remain in the Riverlands. Lord Boremund Baratheon was also absent. The old lord had been given the vacant seat of Aeron Greyjoy after the later died from his wounds. Because he had been leading his troops in the North, however, the old man had yet to attend a meeting. In fact, he seemed to have been taking his sweet time coming down.

zerlBiL.jpg

One person that was here however was Rhaenys, even though the Queen was not supposed to attend these meetings. Ever since her marriage to Viserys, Rhaenys had been pushing for her presence at the Small Council, probably to manipulate policies to her advantage. It seemed that Viserys had once more caved to her demands, seeing how she was seated at her husband’s right. She also didn’t shy from showing that her belly was growing by the day.

h45785h.jpg

“Everyone is present.” Lord Lyonel Strong pointed out.

“Then does anyone have an issue with starting the meeting?” Viserys asked.

“We should have started ten minutes ago!” Ser Harwin Strong complained.

“That is no way to address your king, Ser.” Rhaenys calmly replied, although it was clear that she was ticked by this lack of respect.

Ser Harwin was about to replied to the king when his father put a hand on his shoulder. The knight shoved it away and glared at his old man, but stayed silent. The relation between father and son was difficult as always. When Ser Harwin was named to the Council, many feared that House Strong would come to dominate the policies of the Seven Kingdoms. Thankfully, their inability to cooperate stopped them from becoming the new Hightowers.

s5xdjFy.jpg
btQdSGM.jpg

Viserys stood up from his chair, although he was clear that his weight was making it difficult for him to do so.

“First and foremost, I’d like to reaffirm my decision to fully pardon Lord Benjen Stark and leave him to deal with the traitors in his realm.” Viserys began. “I think we shouldn’t intervene in Northern affair, show the Northerners that we aren’t here to stick our nose where is doesn’t belong.”

“Pardon me, your Majesty, but I’d say that this is too soft.”

It was the Grand Maester Runciter who spoke up. As usual, the old man didn’t know when to shut up.

JI3ChBi.jpg

“The Northerners have rebelled. They should be punished for that! Or at least taxes more.”

Viserys’s eyes narrowed.

“I’m sorry? Are you questioning my judgement?”

“No, your Majesty! Of course not! I’m just saying you should do more.”

“I did more than enough. I did what my grandfather would have done and preserved peace before anything else.”

Jaelyx had always been amazed how Viserys’s ego could get him to stand up to other, he who now more than ever was proving to roll down when others pushed enough. Viserys sat down in his chair, his little outburst having clearly tired him.

pcKAcTg.jpg

“Now, I’d like your advices on what to do with Lord Gwayne Stokeworth. As you have heard, the Hand was arrested yesterday when my wife and our Master of Whisperers gave me proofs that he was conspiring against me.”

“Don’t forget to praise Ser Morghil.” Rhaenys whispered out loud. “After all, he was the one who brought the information and made the arrest.”

“Of course.” Viserys agreed. “Ser Morghil Lychfield has once more proven his loyalty in service of the Iron Throne.”

The Commander of the Gold Cloaks simply bowed in reverence, kindly refusing the praises and reaffirming his loyalty to the king. Jaelyx couldn’t stop himself from rolling his eyes. It was clear that the man was revelling in the royal praises. Jaelyx still hadn’t figured out how the man had obtained the position of Master of the Whisperers, however, and had even more of a hard time believing that he was able to catch the Gyles Groster Plot alone.

NAOntpR.jpg

“Dear,” Rhaenys began, “I think there is only one thing to do with such traitor.”

Viserys looked at her, clearly awaiting her suggestion.

“Have him executed today. Give the order and his head will be rolling before nightfall.”

Viserys looked shocked. “So fast? I’m not sure… Shouldn’t we wait and give him a trial? We gave one to Gyles Groster, after all.”

“We can’t give a trial every time someone tries to imitate this idiot.” Rhaenys retorted.

“Your Majesty, I think you should follow the Queen’s advice.” Ser Morghil followed.

“You think she’s right?” Viserys asked him.

“Lord Gwayne might be a traitor, but he’s also a war hero. If we wait too long, a plot by some of his former men might appear to free him.”

“The garrison of the Red Keep can deal with any such treat!” Ser Harwin boasted.

“As Commander of the City Watch and as Master of Whisperers, I still believe that this is too much of a risk.”

Viserys seemed hesitant, divided between his desire for clemency and the advice of his entourage. His eyes fell on Jaelyx, surely hoping for advice. But what Jaelyx noticed even more was the glare of Rhaenys. The Queen was making it clear that she expected him to agree with her, or else. Jaelyx was quivering in his chair. In this moment, he found himself scared of his sister, afraid of what she might do if he didn’t comply.

“As the Master of Laws, I agree that such betrayal should be met with a quick execution.” he told his brother. “Death is the only reward of a traitor.”

“If both of you think this is the right call…” Visery sighed. “Alright, I’ll sign the execution.”
KdtZIaj.jpg

“Fantastic!” Rhaenys exclaimed. “Now, you’ll need a new Hand to advice you. I have a few suggestions that would be perfect, like…”

“Oh, you don’t have to worry about that.” Viserys casually reassured her.

“Why?” Rhaenys asked, clearly hesitant in her desire to know the answer.

“I’ve already picked a new Hand.” Visersy gleefully boasted. “Sent the raven yesterday.”

“WHAT?” Rhaenys ws burning with rage and frustration. “WHO?”

AEGON: June 6th, 110 AC, the Wall
bL96JKd.jpg

“And take you for my lady and wife.” Aegon said.

He had dreamt those words for three years, but finally he was able to say them to Valena. He was holding her hands and looking at her beautiful face. He noticed a tear of joy crawling from her eye, rolling right to her smile. They both looked at Septon Rolph. The cold wind atop the Wall was pushing on their face. Septon Rolph raised his arms in a ceremonial gesture.

Gz05GIh.jpg

“Then you are now one flesh, one heart, one soul, now and forever.”

This marriage was a dream comes true. They chose to make it as fast as possible, going to the Wall instead of King’s Landing. Aegon had no desire to come home for a marriage to learn that Viserys had found a new bride for him. They decided on a small wedding atop the Wall. Many important members of the Night’s Watch had chosen to attend. It must have been a first, seeing a prince and a princess marry atop the Wall. After a lengthy kiss, the newly wed looked at the small crowd around them, shouted praised and congratulations to the both of them. Valena looked radiant, and Aegon allowed himself a wide smile for this special day.

wvEjBdx.jpg

“I can’t believe that it just happened.” Valena whispered to him. “I simply can’t believe that we can finally show ourselves to the world. Together. We don’t have to hide anymore.”

“It was painful not being able to lie down beside you at night.” Aegon admitted.

“I hope Viserys will take it well.”

“I’m sure he will.” Aegon reassured her. “It isn’t as if we moved behind his back.”

“I still have this feeling of slight shame.” she told him.

He took her head into his hands. “Look at me. Today is our day. Our happiness, and no one else.”

She smiled at him. “Okay, okay. You’re right. I just need to get used to it.”

They walked to the Black Brothers, who welcomed them with smiled and congratulations for their marriage. Among them came out a man in his fifties who bowed he stood in front of them. They had met him when they first arrived to the Wall. The Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch had made it his personal mission to welcome them and make sure that they lived as comfortably as possible.
iOhKMxz.jpg

“Lord Commander Hareth.” Aegon greeted him.

“Your Highnesses.” the old man answered.

“I wanted to once again give you my congratulations on your marriage. I hope that the two of you will have a peaceful and happy life together.”

“Targaryens and Peaceful never really mixed well…”

Valena shoved her elbow into his ribs to shut him up.

“Thank you, Lord Commander.” Valena corrected her husband. “We appreciate the feeling.”

“I also want to apologize for not being able to offer you a feast.” the Lord Commander

“We understand that the resources of the Watch are limited.” Valena responded.

“If you don’t mind, though, I’d like to invite you two to a diner in your honor with the rest of the Towers’ Commanders.”

“Of course.” Aegon accepted. “We’ll be there.”

He knew that Valena had a certain interest in the Watch. This would be a great opportunity to learn more about it.

“Now, I don’t want to impose, but on your return, if you could pass a good word about the Watch to the King…”

“I will ask my brother for recruits, although I believe we cannot afford to fund the Night’s Watch at this time.” Aegon told him.

“Thank you, your Highness.”

Valena pointed at the lands beyond the Wall. “Look. Even the Wildlings are celebrating our marriage.” she said jokingly.

“That’s not celebrations.” Lord Commander Hareth corrected her. “I’m guessing it is some raiding parties burning tents and huts. Or maybe parts of a forest”

“And what about that fire, in the middle of the others?” Aegon asked. “The one making strange smoke.”

“That would be a help signal from our rangers.”

“Oh.” Valena said. “Maybe you should…”

“Yeah, I’m gonna go now.”

The Lord Commander excused himself and leaved, screaming at some of his men to follow him.

“You could take Sunfyre and go help them, you know?” Valena whispered to him.

“I doubt that they need more things on fire.” he replied.

The two stayed together for a while, until someone caught his eye. He excused himself from Valena, promising her that he would join her soon. He then went by the side of the Wall, where Ser Benedict Paege was standing. The tall man seemed to be enjoying the sign of the cold land that stood in front of them. It took him a moment to notice that Aegon was standing next to him.

SGDferM.jpg

“To what do I owe this honor, your Highness?” Ser Benedict jokingly welcomed him.

“I wanted to thank you personally.” Aegon said with his usual calm.

“For what?”

“You convinced your friend, Septon Rolph, was it? You convinced him to celebrate our marriage.”

“I doubt he needed much convincing.” Ser Benedict responded. “Marrying two Targaryens? That’s a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

“You also saved Valena in battle.”

“I was only doing my duties.” Ser Benedict answered.

“I still can’t thank you enough. Ser Benedict, you can consider me a friend for life. If you need anything, you can count on me to have your back.”

Ser Benedict shook his head. “This is a nice offer, but currently I just wish to return home. Maybe someday, though…”

They discussion was interrupted when Valena arrived running. She stopped right next to her husband.

“Is there something wrong?” he asked immediately.

“A letter for you.” she told him.

Aegon was intrigued, especially as he recognized the royal seal on the piece of paper. He quickly opened it and read it in silence. He then stood there, in silence, passing it to Valena. His curious wife read the letter, her eye growing wide with each word. She then looked at him, her eyes full of hope and joy for him.

“Viserys named you his new Hand!”
qvqEAkX.jpg

Last edited:
Viserys is just seeming incredibly old these days.

Chapter 84: Taking What We Need
CHAPTER 84: TAKING WHAT WE NEED
VALERION: June 25th, 110 AC, Dragonstone
tCFomGu.jpg

“His fleet is waiting for us to come.” Rhaenyra told them. “You were right once more, Ser Criston.”

She offered the knight a warm smile, something Valerion did not miss. He knew how much his niece was attached to her favorite knight. There was no doubt that once on the Iron Throne, she would do everything in her power to make him Lord Commander of the Kingsguard. The problem was that the attention she was giving him was causing rumors. This sort of behavior was cute when she was nine. But Rhaenyra now had a fiancé. Valerion really wished that Maegon thought her how to behave as a lady, but he would lie to himself if he thought that his brother could teach restrain.
laXkmPN.jpg

“I know.” Ser Criston answered with what bordered on arrogance. “I’ve fought Prince Daemon enough to know how he thinks.”

“King Daemon.” Valerion corrected.

“And what a kingdom he has!” the knight mocked.

“Viserys recognized him as the legitimate king of a legitimate kingdom, Ser Criston.” Valerion chastised him. “So show my brother the respect he deserves!”

“He didn’t mean it like that.” Rhaenyra interjected.

“No, of course your Highness.” Ser Criston responded.

Valerion guessed that Ser Criston had only backed off because Rhaenyra had ordered him to. Tensions had been high in Dragonstone ever since Maegon returned from his campaign. Now Maegon, Ser Criston and the regent Aurion and Lord Corlys Velaryon were gravitating around Rhaenyra, five men if Valerion included himself. After all, he had gained a lot of influence on the island during the absence of Lord Corlys. Obviously, this situation was causing tensions.

LCJMfZS.jpg

“So he’s really here?” Valerion asked his niece.

“I saw his fleet waiting at the exit of Blackwater Bay.” she said as she dismounted her dragon.

“Then we can’t give him any supply.” Valerion declared.

“What? Why?”

“He’s a foreign king.” he reminded her. “We can’t give him aid in his wars without the say so of the King and his Small Council.”

“He’s my uncle!” she responded. “We should be flying by his side and go burn Braavos to the ground. We should make the enemies of House Targaryen pay with their blood, just like uncle Maegon and aunt Valena did with the northern rebels!”

That was a terrible idea. Valerion could barely imagine the disastrous repercution of seeing Braavos out of the picture like that. No Braavos meant no Faceless Men and no Iron Banks. This meant a vacuum to fill. No something anyone wanted to see happening. Thankfully, it seemed that Ser Criston was also not a fan of helping Daemon.

“Princess, while I praise your… eagerness to help, you have to understand that your father has ordered that no help come to Daemon.”

“You mean my uncle Aegon ordered so.” she replied. “Or was it that whore of an aunt?”

“It doesn’t matter.” Valerion pointed out. “Viserys declared that Daemon is on his own. This war concerns Essos only.”

“I’m the Princess of Dragonstone! Can’t I be there for an uncle that needs my help?”

“Not when your father orders you not to!” Valerion argued.

Valerion awaited her response, but none came. Oh, it was clear that she wanted to. He guessed that Maegon had rubbed on her the wrong way, making her far less tolerant of criticisms. She might even already think of herself as a Queen. But she wouldn’t go against her father. Viserys had always been a pushover when it came to his daughter, but this relationship seemed to have gone both ways. Valerion doubted that the girl would go against her father’s direct order, especially with another heir by the side.

“Fine! But I’m not going to go tell him.” she declared. “Uncle, you and uncle Maegon can go meet him.”

“I’d prefer not to bring Maegon.”

“Why?” Ser Criston asked.

“I doubt that Elaerys has forgotten how Maegon slept with his wife.”

“But he said it wasn’t his.” RHaenyra protested.

“I doubt Elaerys will see it that way.”

Rhaenyra rolled her eyes. “Go with Laena then!”

“And where are you going?” Valerion asked her.

“To the library.” She turned to her favorite knight. “Ser Criston, please come inform me when my uncle returns.”

“Of course, Princess.”

As his niece walked away, Valerion made his way to his bedchamber to find his wife. He didn’t had to go that far, however, as he found her walking in the garden. He guessed that she was probably on her way to the dragon pit, hoping to see what this fleet was about. A warm smile formed on her face when she saw him. She ran toward him and jumped at him. He was barely fast enough to open his arms to grab her. He fell to the ground as she fell on him.

dgch0I6.jpg

“Hey.” she said.

“Could you please stop doing that?” he asked. “You know I can’t hold you.”

“Yeah, yeah.” she laughed. “Don’t tell me you don’t like it.”

They shared a small kiss, after which the two of them got back up.

“It’s a good thing I ran into you.” Valerion told her.

“Hum?” her interest seemed peaked.

“I was wondering if you wanted to accompany me on a small mission.”

“Anything interesting?” she asked. “Would be fun to go on a campaign together. Maegon was nice, but I missed you a lot during the trip.”

“I missed you too.” he said kindly. “But no. Rhaenyra asked me to go tell Daemon that he won’t get supply from us. I thought you could tag along.”

“It has been a while since we flew together.” She commented. “Alright, let’s go tell Daemon he can fuck off.”

“I wouldn’t have put it so crassly…”

“No, but I did.”

She smiled at him again and made her way to the dragon pit. Valerion was barely able to follow his wife, who was running at full speed. He took many pauses to regain his breath. Clearly, physical activities would never be his forte. When he finally arrived, Laena was already mounting Vhagar. Valerion was still amazed that she had been able to tame such an old and powerful dragon. His own mount Dreamfyre didn’t compare in size or strength to the last dragon of the Conquest. It was humbling, in a way, to know that Vhagar had seen Aegon the Conqueror and his reign. Of course, Maegon would be the first to point out that unlike his dragon Vermithor, Vhagar was never the mount of a king. But it didn’t matter. For everyone, Vhagar was the greatest dragon of this time.

uQh53Rl.jpg

The two nodded to one another and then took the sky. Valerion closed his eyes to protect himself from the wind, holding to the saddle as hard as he could. It was only when Dreamfyre was flying over the sea that he looked around. The fleet was in sight, but still small. As for Laena, she was flying right next to him, close enough that they could hear each other if they talked loud enough.

“So, why can’t we give supply to your brother again?” she asked out loud.

“Orders. From another brother.”

“The King?”

“The Hand.” he told her. “Aegon wants to take a loan from the Iron Bank. It wouldn’t look good if we helped Daemon attack it. We have to show them that Daemon isn’t acting on the behalf of House Targaryen.”

She nodded. The nomination of Aegon as Hand of the King, while unsurprising, had quite the impact. Like their father Baleon the Brave, Aegon had always been motived by a duty to the realm. Luckily, he would prove just as competent. That was, of course, if the various intrigues of the realm didn’t get in his way. Of course, their sister had been quite vocal about her disapproval of the choice. Valerion was more supportive. While not close to him, he knew Aegon enough to hold the hopes that Aegon could help solve the Seven Kingdoms’ problems.

Laena pointed toward a ship, which Valerion guessed must have been the flagship of Daemon’s fleet. Immediately, they ordered their mounts to approach it. Laena made a dive for it, while Valerion chose a slower approach. It seemed that Daemon expected them to come by dragon, as none of the ships attacked them. They landed at the opposite sides of the ships, which made the wooden vessel shake.

As they dismounted, Daemon came out of the lower deck. It had been almost five years since the two brothers saw one another. His expression was aged and sterner. It reminded Valerion of their mother, in a way. He noticed the small golden crown on his head. Clearly, his brother was taking his duties as king seriously. Or maybe it was just going to his head, who knew?

FRBOMHR.jpg

Flanking Daemon as always stood Elaerys. It seemed that the years had also taken a toll on him. The naiveté and optimism that once marked his face had disappeared. It seemed that war truly changed a person. Valerion also noticed that his brother had a valyrian sword at his belt. Where did he even get that?

VrQYPBD.jpg

“It’s only you?” Elaerys said out loud.

“I’m also here, you know.” Laena objected.

“Rhaenyra didn’t want to come, and I thought Maegon shouldn’t come.” he told his brother.

“A wise decision.” Daemon agreed. “Although I would have enjoyed seeing him again, knowing what my former squire has been up to.”

“I wouldn’t.” Elaerys said. “I already have to deal with the idiot…”

“Who?” Laena asked.

“It doesn’t matter.” Daemon waved it off, not wanting to focus on whoever that ‘idiot’ was. “How long as it been, brother?”

“A long time, that’s for sure.” Valerion shook his hand. “How are things in your kingdom?”

“Things are going fine.”

“I wouldn’t have expected you to jump back into a war. Especially after such a lengthy war.”

“We need to show the Free Cities that the Kingdom of the Stepstones is a power of his own.” the king explained. “It’s about establishing our place in the Narrow Sea.”

“Isn’t King Viserys already recognizing you.” Laena asked.

“It’s not worth much if it doesn’t come with more concrete actions.”

“I suppose you have something in mind?” Valerion said, knowing full well what they were going to ask.

“We need Dragonstone to supply our fleet.” Elaerys told them.

And here it was. They really didn’t have time for small talk, did they? Valerion would have hoped to have a nice talk about what they had been doing before getting to the meat of the subject.

“Can we ask why?” Valeron inquired.

“We’re planning to attack Braavos by sea.” Elaerys explained. “Supply for the expedition would be appreciated.”

“Oh, we can get to Braavos without help. Our supply should last us up to the city without problems.” Daemon corrected. “It’s the return that will be difficult without logistical help.”

Valerion sighed. “While I understand your situation, Daemon, I can’t help you.”

“What?” Elaerys snapped.

“I’m not sure I follow.” Daemon said, playing dumb.

“We can’t give you any supply for your war. Not now, and not on your way back.” Laena developed.

“Is that all you have to offer me? I’m your brother! What happened to the bond of House Targaryen?”

“It is not my call to make.” Valerion told them. “The Hand has ordered that no help comes to either side for the duration of the war. It’s illegal to do so.”

“And you always follow the rules, do you?” Elaerys commented, clearly annoyed at Valerion’s refusal to help.

“Yes.”

“So that Stokeworth isn’t better than his predecessor, it seems.” Daemon said. “Or did Otto managed to crawl back to his former position?”

“It seems that your information is out of date, brother.” Valerion told him.

“It’s hard to get news when you’re at war.”

“Ser Otto Hightower has died.” Laena said. “He drank a lot in his last days, but I heard that he died from weak health.”

Valerion exchanged a saddened gaze with his wife, both knowing that it was most likely the way he too would go one day. For a second, Daemon was smiling, allowing himself what sounded like a small laugh of relief. His relationship with Ser Otto had always been difficult, and hearing about his rival’s death must have been a sweet victory for his brother.

“So it’s Stokeworth?” he asked, returning to his serious self.

Valerion shook his head. “He defeated the northern rebels, but Viserys found out that he was a traitor himself. Lord Gwayne Stokeworth was executed for planning a Gyles Groster Plot.”

Elaerys was clearly confused. “A what?”

“Gyles Groster…” Daemon seemed pensive. “Why does that name sound familiar?”

“He was executed four years ago. He served as Commander of the King’s Gate garrison, so it’s possible that you met him before when you commanded the City Watch.”

“Maybe.” Daemon agreed. “So it’s not Hightower and it’s not Stokeworth. Who’s the Hand?”

“Prince Aegon has been appointed by the King.” Laena said.

Valerion noticed the frustrated expression of Elaerys. As if he was jealous. But why? Wasn’t he Daemon’s Hand?

“Aegon is the Hand?” Daemon said out loud. “Well then get off my ship.”

“Why? We just got here!” Laena complained.

“I know my little brother enough. As long as it’s for ‘the interests’ of the Iron Throne, Aegon will make arbitrary decisions and stubbornly stick to them, no matter how STUPID they are!” The intensity with which Daemon said the last part took Valerion by surprise. “No matter what I offer you, no matter how much helping me will benefit our brother, Aegon won’t budge.”

“That’s it?” Laena said.

“Unless you wished to join me.”

“My place has always been in Dragonstone.” Valerion replied. “You know that.”

“I’m offering you adventure, a chance to make a name for yourself. Staying on this island serving a little girl. Is that the only ambition you have? If you join me, you’ll be able to ride your dragons into battle, like Aegon the Conqueror did. I might even be able to give you lands. Think about it, your own island to rule!”

Valerion had no desire to abandon Rhaenyra. However, he couldn’t help but notice the sparkling eyes of his wife. Still, neither said anything, which clearly annoyed Daemon.

“No? Then don’t waste anymore of my time, and get, of, my, ship.”

ELAERYS: July 12th, 110 AC, Braavos
VrQYPBD.jpg

“Your Highness!” one of the men screamed. “Titan on sight!”

Elaerys ran to the side of the ship. At first, all he could see was the foggy mist, just like yesterday. This fog had been quite a challenge to navigate through, although as Master of the Ships he did everything in his abilities to continue forward. To his credit, only one ship managed to lose the fleet due to the mist. They had been slowed down thought, and for a while Elaerys had thought that it at taken them on the wrong course. But now he could see it. There stood the giant man guarding the entrance to Braavos. It was a sight to behold, really. But most importantly, it meant that they had arrived.

Daemon had decided to launch an attack by the sea and strike the city of Braavos when it was undefended. Indeed, most of the Braavosi forces were at the southern border with Pentos, focusing on the main war. This left their capital vulnerable; something both Daemon and Elaerys agreed was too good an opportunity to ignore. Of course, the supply situation had been a problem, especially as the Iron Throne wouldn’t give them anything. They had been forced to turn to the act of piracy in order to gain what they needed. It had slowed them down a week or two, but it had proven to be worth it.

He didn’t have to alert Daemon, who was already coming out of his cabin fully dressed. His dark armor contrasted with his golden crown and white hairs. He was probably waiting for such news.
FRBOMHR.jpg

“So we're here?” he asked.

As a response, Elaerys simply pointed at the Titan of Braavos, their fleet slowly approaching it.

“Good.” he simply said.

“And the best part is thatwe haven’t been spotted yet.” Elaerys boasted, “although I’m not sure if it’s because of their lack of men or because of the fog.”

“It better be the absence of their main force, because if not then we’ll have a problem.”

“You mean the fact that we’ll be sitting ducks for an army of archers we won’t even see?” Elaerys tried to guess.

“I can’t take the sky with my dragon in this mist. I’ll be flying blind. Chances are I’ll just come right into a tower or something, if I don’t set fire to our own ships by accident.”

“So no dragon, huh…”

That was going to be a drawback. Then again, it would be nice for once to not see Daemon flight over his head while he was stuck to the ground. He missed that feeling of flying on his dragon. Sadly, all that remained of Silverwing was a skull in his main hall. Ever since his dragon’s demise, he had been alone to run into battle while Daemon flew through the sky.

Well, he wasn’t alone on the ground anymore…

“We better be here because I’m fucking sick of this!”

Both brothers knew that only their younger sibling was dumb enough to speak like that. They turned to see him come out of the lower decks. He was dressed with the best clothes he had, although they had been dirtied by the trip. Elaerys had opposed the idea of bringing him along, but Daemon had pointed out that it was better to have him on a short leash than let him home. And with Mysaria already handling things in their absence, Elaerys had no desire to have Laegor cause even more problems for them.

IHgxSUI.jpg

“What’s your problem this time?” Elaerys asked, rolling his eyes.

“I’m sick of sleeping with the lowlifes!”

“The men liked you, so they insisted.” Daemon told him.

“I don’t give a rat’s ass about them. I just want my own cabin!”

“I said ‘liked’, not ‘like’. You managed to get back on their bad side pretty fast.”

“Not my fault they’re all stupid.” Laegor protested. “Now can I have a cabin.”

“No.”

“Then just give me one of the whores’ cabins! They don’t need them!”

“Hey, I paid top money for these prostitutes!” Elaerys replied. “I am not giving up their rooms!”

“Who cares about you or your sluts?”

There were still times when Elaerys just wished he would go through with his former pledge to kill Laegor. It would be so easy to draw Poison and slice him in half. So simple. Sadly, Daemon took control of the situation, as always.

“I won’t budge on the issue!” Laegor declared.

“Then you’ll keep complaining and still sleep with the troops.” Daemon retorted. “Now go put your armor. We’re about to storm the docks.”

Daemon grabbed Laegor by the neck and dragged him to the hatch that led to the lower deck. His gesture made it clear that if Laegor didn’t calm himself, he would have no qualms throwing his brother down the hatch head first.

“Alright, alright!” Laegor grunted. “I still deserve a cabin…”

Elaerys looked around. Their ship had just passed under the Titan of Braavos. The mist was still causing problems with navigation, although he hoped that it would be even more difficult for the sentries. He decided to order the signals for the rest of the fleet, making sure that they were ready. Laegor came out a few minutes later wearing his armor. He had two swords strapped to his back, which seemed odd.

“Why two swords?”

“The shield just get in the way.” Laegor shrugged.

“That’s stupid.” Elaerys told him. “Shield is far better for defence than swords. You’re going to need one.”

“You’re stupid.” Laegor responded.

“Enough!” Daemon chastised him. “Or do you want to be throw off board, again?”

“Alright, alright.” Laegor backed off. “So what are we supposed to do once we land?”

“You do whatever you want.” Daemon told him. “As long as you don’t get in our way to the Sealord’s palace.”

Elaerys heard Laegor grunt, but before he could answer an arrow flew right next to his face, hitting a plank in the floor. This was followed by another volley of arrows, forcing the three Targaryens to jump for cover wherever they could find some.

“I think they spott…”

Laegor was cut off by the ship coming to a full stop. The impact shook Elaerys, almost sending him off balance. He had to hold to the side to keep himself up.

“… and I think we hit the docks.” Laegor added.

“Alright men! Attack!” Elaerys shouted.

The men began flooding out of the ships. The sound of impacts indicated that other ships of the fleet had also met the harbor without noticing. This fog was really proving to be an annoyance. Elaerys was one of the firsts to walk in the harbor. He looked through the streets, noticing that there was far more civilians running around than soldiers. Daemon was right; the Braavosis had sent their army south, leaving Braavos exposed. There was a strong militia, of course, but serving in the Gold Cloaks had taught him that a militia or a city watch was nowhere near as competent as a professional army.

Daemon appeared behind him, putting a hand on his shoulder.

“Let’s go.”

Elaerys nodded and followed his brother. They had bought a map of Braavos before leaving Pentos, which they had studied multiple times during the journey. They knew where the Sealord’s palace was. It didn’t take them long to make their way through the streets, their men helping them clear the way. The flow of running civilians made it hard for the militia to coordinate through the city, unable to move through the masses. As they finally arrived in front of the palace, Elaerys ordered the troops to bring the ram they had brought with them. A small portable one, nothing too fancy. Just enough to explode the beautiful entrance gate of a palace.

As the doors opened, they could hear the people inside panic. In the great hall were a lot of servants, but Daemon and Elaerys found who they were searching for; the Sealord’s family, stuck at the other side of the room.

“Capture them!” Daemon ordered.

Immediately, the men jumped on the family and put them into chains. The older man, who Elaerys guessed was the Sealord’s brother, surrendered immediately. Meanwhile, the teenager fought as much as he could, and looked defiantly at them even as he was dragged away. The Sealord’s wife and niece were also captured, crying as the soldiers grabbed them by the arms and forced them out of under a table. Sadly, neither the Sealord nor his oldest son was present, probably fighting on the frontline. Still, it was a nice catch. Many servants surrendered, forced into captivity by the soldiers and pirates.

nC2cgMW.jpg
BUrvQgv.jpg

CZrsVE3.jpg
aDTUZvA.jpg

“Yer Highness, I think I found another one!” screamed one of his soldiers.

Elaerys looked at the man, who was trying to grab a young woman hiding behind a curtain. As the man tried to grab her, she pushed him off. The man fell on the ground, his head hitting a chair as he went down. Elaerys stood there watching the scene, admiring both her beauty and her strength. However, she was being a problem. She noticed him watching her, and immediately her face was filled with fear.

GafvxF6.jpg

“No please! Don’t hurt me!” she begged.

Elaerys shrugged. “Alright.”

This answered confused her, at least long enough for Elaerys to grab her by the wraist and put her on his shoulder. She struggled, but he was strong enough to keep her from moving too much.

“Daemon, what do I do with this one?”

Daemon looked at the woman. “Just put her with the rest of the prisoners.”

Elaerys did as advised and dragged her to the rest of the prisoners, putting her chains himself. He made it clear that things would turn ugly if she resisted, and the woman didn’t offer any resistance from that point on. When she was firmly captured, Elaerys returned to Daemon, and the two brothers proceeded to pillage the palace of all its wealth.

Last edited:
I think it is fair to say the decision to deny them aid didn't help Daemon's temper at all.

Chapter 85: The Hand's Council
CHAPTER 85: THE HAND’S COUNCIL
LAENARA: August 1st, 110 AC, Braavos
M24IPnO.jpg

They had been flying over the Narrow Sea for a while now. The trip had been difficult, mostly because she had to make sure that Cannibal didn’t get any idea. He looked at Sunfyre in a weird way. Ever since she became his rider, Cannibal had calmed his habits of eating other dragons. It didn’t stop him from trying to take a bite from times to times, though. In the end, it was all about finding the right balance between flying close enough to speak and far enough to stop Cannibal from attacking Sunfyre.

r2GJ03X.jpg

Then again, there was little need to fly close to Aegon. Her brother spoke little as they flew over the water. Either he was not at conversations or he chose not to be. After all, the two of them weren’t as close as some might expect. Aegon had always been stern and indifferent to her, and his tendency to favor the realm over the needs of his own siblings had put them at odds before. She had always been closer to Valena than Aegon, really, although recently she felt a sting of jalousy for her younger sister. All three sisters married one of their brothers, yet she was the only one who lost in that arrangement. Rhaenys got to call herself Queen and Valena got a loving husband, one that would never miss an opportunity to be with her. Which begged the question of why he had picked her instead of Valena to accompany him.

Since Aegon had been appointed Hand of the King, he had made it clear that he wanted to fix the financial situation of the realm. While the court did its best to keep it hidden from the rest of the Seven Kingdoms, it was an open secret in the Red Keep that the coffers were empty. He had decided that taking a loan from the Iron Bank was the first step to fixing this issue. Aegon even insisted on going to Braavos himself to negotiate the loan. Surprisingly, he told Laenara this morning that she would be accompanying him. And so they were here, over the Narrow Sea, and she still had no idea why he asked for her.

m06ZD1y.jpg

Well, there was no harm in asking. She flew a bit closer to Sunfyre while keeping an eye on Cannibal.

“Aegon, do you mind answering a question?”

He didn’t turn his head toward her or indicate in any way that he was listening. But he also didn’t signal that she stopped talking as he did last time they talked, so she chose to continue.

“Why did you bring me along?”

“Is that your question, sister?” he asked in his usual stoic tone.

“I know you hold Valena in higher esteem than me. I would have expected you to bring her along. You could have even used this occasion to celebrate your marriage in Braavos.”

“I don’t have time for that.”

She shrugged. She expected this sort of comments. As if Aegon would ever take the time to rest or have fun when he could instead work…

“Why pick me? Why not bring Valena with you?” she asked again.

“I needed another dragon rider” he told her. “It would have taken too long by boat.”

“Please, Aegon. I’m not an idiot. If this was the only reason you could have asked Valerion.”

“He would have been sick halfway through. But no, I could have gone alone. I actually had planned to go alone.”

“And yet I am here.” Laenara pointed out.

“Valena was the one who suggested it. I needed someone I could trust to handle the affairs of the realm in my absence. I trust my wife to handle this part. But she also suggested that I bring you along. I personally wouldn’t have done it, but she insisted.”

So it was Valena who wanted her here. The two sisters had always been close due to their small gap in age. There wasn’t a lot of girl their age on Dragonstone growing up, and Rhaenys was never friendly to her little sisters. With Laegor always complaining and Valerion always sick, it was no wonders that she formed a bond with Valena. While it had weakened as they grew up, the two girls still felt a small kinship for one another. Sadly, this was not the part that caught her attention.

“And you didn’t want me with you?” she asked him. “You know I can help you. I’m just as smart as any of our siblings.”

“You’re too emotional.” he told her.

“How am I too emotional?”

“I’m guessing you still hold a grudge over the loss of your daughter, even though Maegon was in the right?” he asked her.

She blinked. Even after all these years, he was still convinced that Maegon was in the right, that Maegon should be the one raising her daughter.

“I just want to hold my daughter! How is that wrong?”

She had to stop as she noticed Cannibal salivating, making a small

“He had the rights to the girl.” Aegon reminded her. “I still don’t understand how you can’t get over that.”

“You're the one to speak…” she mumbled.

The minute Aegon had learned that his betrothal was annulled; he fled to the Wall and married Valena, without asking anyone beforehand. While she was happy that Aegon and Valena had found happiness, she wanted to point out that he should have asked for Viserys’s approval first. He didn’t. Yet he was here, criticizing her for wanting to raise her daughter in a safer environment.

Finally, the awkward silence was broken by the sight of the Titan of Braavos. It was magnificent to look at from the sky. The sight of the Braavos itself was far less enchanting. The city was in bad shape, with many buildings damaged or destroyed. She noticed that some of them had been torched, probably during some looting. Aegon began his descent, and she followed suit. The two of them landed in a garden, right behind a grand palace. It was surely a beautiful building, but the broken windows and destroyed door made it clear that it had seen better days. As they dismounted, Laenara noticed the look everyone was giving them. A mix of fear and anger.

“Daemon attacked the city.” she guessed.

Aegon nodded. “I heard that he was planning an attack against them. It seemed that he was successful.”

She turned to the soldiers putting chains on her dragon. “Be gentle. And please place them separately. My dragon might eat the other one if left together.”

The soldiers looked at her with an angry look, but did begin to pull Cannibal away from Sunfyre. She felt bad that her dragon had to be put in chain. Cannibal always liked to be free. But Braavos didn’t have a dragon pit, and neither was there a nest where the beast could do a nest while waiting for her. She had to leave him chained so he wouldn’t cause problems.

She followed Aegon into the palace, where a group of guards escorted them to a large and luxurious room. Sitting on a chair (more a throne, really) was an old man in golden clothes. She guessed that this was the Sealord of Braavos. Aegon sat on the couch in front of him. Laenara sat next to him, although she left a small space between them.

gC2GDLN.jpg

“Sealord Denyo.” Aegon said. “I must admit that I did not expect you to preside over this meeting. I expected an agent of the Iron Bank.”

“They asked me to play intermediary.” the Sealord told them.

“How kind of you to help facilitate this.” Laenara praised him.

The praise was not well received. “There is nothing kind in this meeting. After the last visit of a Targaryen, the Iron Bank is fearful to expose them. So they sent me to negotiate instead, in case you decided to feed the envoy to your dragons.”

“And that way, you get the Iron Bank in your debt.” Aegon pointed out.

“I have a war to fight.” the Sealord responded. “A war that I need to pay for.”

“My brother the king also understands the need of paying for our expanses.”

“Which one? The fat one, or the one that hold my family prisoner?” Sealord Denyo spat back.

Laenara was taken aback by this. She looked at Aegon, who didn’t look disturbed one bit. Either he was once against showing his talent at hiding his emotions or he knew about it and chose not to disclose this information with her.

“My king is often called ‘the Fat’ by the smallfolk, yes.” Aegon answered.

“So you’re here to pay for another party, is that it?”

Laenara noticed how condescending his tone was. It seemed that the Sealord now had a beef with House Targaryen. Daemon really had chosen a bad moment to attack Braavos.

“We need that loan to stabilise our economy and pay for the expenses of the state.” Aegon explained, although it sounded a lot like empty words. “The Seven Kingdoms have just recovered from a revolt. This loan will allow us to fix the issues this war caused and pay the troops.”

“And what do the Iron Bank gains out of it?”

“Good relations with the Iron Throne.”

“They already had that under the previous king.”

“And these will continue under King Viserys.” Aegon insisted.

“Don’t you get it?” the Sealord snapped. “I don’t want you here, and I’m pretty sure the Iron Bank agrees! You attacked us!”

“The Stepstones attacked you.” Aegon pointed out. “We had nothing to do with this. All we want is a lone. A simple lone.”

“And how will that help my family?”

“We could negotiate with Daemon.” Laenara suggested.

Both Aegon and the Sealord turned toward her, perplexed.

“What?” the Sealord asked.

“If we get the loan, then we’ll work to have your relatives released.”

“You would do that?” he asked the question to Aegon.

“Yes.”

Aegon spoke as if he was fully committed to this idea, almost as if he had thought of it. He was really good at hiding his surprise.

“We’d help you regain your family, and you’d have facilitated a deal with the Iron Bank.” Laenara continued. “You would gain friends in the Iron Throne and the Iron Bank.”

“Hum…” the Sealord seemed thoughtfull, but Laenara guessed that he had already taken his decision. “You Targaryens aren’t popular in Braavos these days… But if I can get my family back, then I don’t care.”

“Thank you.”

“I’ll tell the Iron Bank that they should lend you the gold, but you better get my family back!”

“We will.” Laenara promised.

The two siblings then excused themselves and leaved the room, ready to depart as soon as they found where their dragons had been put.

“We have no influence on Daemon.” Aegon told her. “You shouldn’t have promised him that we would free his family.”

“Our brother is no monster. Daemon will surely free them at the end of the war.”

“And if he doesn’t?”

“Then I’ll go pay him a visit.” she replied.
DvtyQkF.jpg

AEGON: August 9th, 110 AC, King’s Landing
1WkVYIv.jpg

“So that’s what she did in my absence?” Aegon asked.

“Sorry.”

Valena sounded almost ashamed. Aegon looked at his wife and couldn’t bear to see her saddened like that. He sighed before putting his arm on her shoulders and kissing her on the forehead.

JwtCk2r.jpg

“It’s okay. I didn’t expect you to go against Viserys. You did everything you could and more.”

Her cheeks were red, but she didn’t avert his gaze. “Thanks.”

They continued to walk through the Hallways of the Red Keep toward their destination. From tiems to times, Aegon allowed his eyes to leave Valena so he could look at the letters he was holding.

“So how did it happen?” he asked Valena.

“Rhaenys suggested to Viserys that he organize a feast to celebrate your ascension as Hand.”

“I’m guessing that the King didn’t need much convincing?”

“He was overjoyed.” she said. “I tried to tell him that you wouldn’t appreciate a feast, but Viserys insisted. He told me that it would double for a celebration of my victory over the North. He ordered me to attend, so I couldn’t do much.”

Aegon nodded. It seemed that Rhaenys was making an attempt at derailing his monetary policies. He had already taken a loan that it would be used for another feast. He wished he could have been there to talk Viserys out of it. Maybe he would have been able to convince him. He hoped so. But now it was too late.

“I’m guessing he’ll probably try to make it about our marriage while he’s at it.” he sighed.

“Then I’m guessing he’s going to spend as much as possible, isn’t he?”

Aegon nodded. He knew how Viserys liked his celebrations. The occasion of celebrating a new Hand, a victory against rebels and a Hand? This was going to be the biggest thing since the tourney two years ago. Aegon made a mental note to convince him not to organize another tourney.

“We’ll have to work even harder now.” he mumbled. “Is everyone there?”

“They’re all waiting.” she told him.

They stopped in front of a door. Instead of opening it, Valena stood firm in front of it, looking Aegon right in the eyes.

“Why didn’t you invite Laenara?”

Aegon had really hoped that this conversation wouldn’t come up. But his wife wanted to know. As always, he decided to tell her the full truth.

“I can’t trust her.” Aegon told her. “Not entirely. Her priorities aren’t in the right place.”

“She’s competent. You told me yourself how she helped with the loan.”

“She doesn’t place the realm at the top of her list. If Rhaenys offered her a way to get her daughter back, can you say with certainty that she would do what’s right for the Seven Kingdoms?”

“I trust her judgement.” Valena declared, although he noticed her eyes shifting.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t.”

Valena was clearly unhappy with his response, but she didn’t push the issue and opened the door. Aegon followed her in, where everyone was already waiting.

“About time!” Ser Harwin Breakbones shouted as Aegon entered.

Aegon simply nodded to the Master-at-Arms. Harwin was seated at a table drinking what seemed to be wine. He seemed annoyed at the wait. Standing beside him was his father, the Master of Coins Lord Lyonel Strong, who was probably Aegon’s biggest ally on the Small Council. Lord Lyonel had shown a desire to protect the realm just as much as Aegon, and had done so a lot longer.

2gR0fow.jpg
RbVL0nt.jpg

As he walked toward the center of the room, he heard the door closing. He gave a look behind him, noticing Vaelyx with a hand on the door handle. The knight then went back to lying against the wall. Right next to him was their mother, Princess Alyssa. He had been surprised how easily his mother had agreed to come to this meeting. Maybe it had something to do with her terrible relationship with Rhaenys.

IPTxu42.jpg
ZX1ji7l.jpg

Slaying in a chair war Jaelyx, clearly bored by the wait. Aegon had invited his older brother as an olive branch, hoping to mend the rivalry Jaelyx imagined between them. If he wanted to fix the issues currently plaguing the realm, he would need the Master of Laws. Whatever his personal feelings about Jaelyx, he knew that his brother had it in him to do the job right. He hopes…

tY16LAv.jpg

As expected, Jaelyx was flanked by his bodyguard, Ser Lucamore. The man did not inspire confidence, being nothing more than muscles for his brother. But Aegon guessed that Lucamore would follow Jaelyx anywhere. So as long as his brother stuck around, the bodyguard would too.

RBDg8kD.jpg

And finally, standing at the end of the room was Ser Alyn Errol. Four years ago he had invited the man to come to King’s Landing so he could be named Commander of the King’s Gate. Since then, Ser Alyn had become a respected commander, leading troops during the Fake Laegor’s Uprising and the Northern Rebellion. The man had proven loyal through it all, which was the main reason why he was present today.

Rt6Amxd.jpg

“Thank you for all coming.” Valena told them.

“Got nothing to waste my time on anyway, so why the heck not?” Ser Alyn shrugged. “Still curious why so many of us are here, though.”

“Shouldn’t Aemon be here?” Lord Lyonel asked.

It was expected that the Master of Coins would ask for his former squire. However, Aegon never had any intensions of involving Aemon in this. His younger brother had always managed to stay clear of politics, and Aegon had no desire to change that. There was also the other issue, which Ser Harwin pointed out with far less tact than he would have.

“Aemon is a mess!” Ser Harwin told his father. “His daughter seems to help him, but now Alys is turning into a mess because of it. He really doesn’t have the time to deal with this. I doubt he’d be able to anyway.”

“Hey, that’s your sister and brother-in-law you’re talking about!” Princess Alyssa shouted. “Shut your mouth if you only want to insult them.”

“Mother, I think he was simply pointing out that Aemon has to focus on his own needs before the realm’s.” Valena explained, trying to stop the discussion from spiraling out of control.

Aegon still couldn’t believe how lucky he was to have her by his side, to be able to call her his wife. His eyes had to leave his beloved however, focusing once again on the group assembled in this room.

“The reason I called you all here is because of the realm.” he began. “My brother has made me his new Hand and now it falls on me to keep the Seven Kingdoms from falling apart. I am not a proud man. I’m willing to admit when I need help. I will need help. Your help. You all proved loyal to the Iron Throne. If you are in this room, then it means that I put my complete trust into you. All of you.”

“Really?” Lucamore wondered out loud. “Even me?”

“Don’t interrupt the man.” Ser Alyn chastised him.

“No! Look, I don’t know about everyone else, but I have no clue why I’m here. Lord Hand, correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure this is the first time we even speak to each other!”

“Correct.” Aegon confirmed. “But I know that you will stick with my brother. If I can trust Jaelyx to stay, I can trust you too.”

“Can we trust the poet?” Ser Harwin asked. “He’s quite the pushover.”

“I am a man of my own will!” Jaelyx protested. “I am no mere ‘pushover’.”

Aegon didn’t want to admit it, but Ser Harwin was right. If kicked enough, Jaelyx would submit to anyone. His time as Master of Laws had also made Jaelyx quite distrustful of others, so while Aegon tried to have faith in his brother, he doubted that his brother had any faith in him. Sadly, he needed the Master of Laws to work with him for the betterment of the realm. If that turned out to be Jaelyx, then so be it. He would do the extra efforts to make this work.

If anything, a man who knows how to play with words can prove an excellent help.” Aegon said.

“Your praises might have softened my ego, but not my curiosity.” Jaelyx told his brother. “Now what do you need us for?”

“There’s going to be a lot of work. The coffers are still empty, the Westerlands and the Riverlands are fighting, the Vale is still split due to a civil war… And we need to fix it all.”

“There is one problem with your plans.” Vaelyx began.

“The Queen.” Lord Lyonel added.

“What about her?” Lucamore asked.

“She’s smoking hot.”

Everyone turned to Ser Alyn Errol, who simply shrugged.

“What? I ain’t the only one thinking it. Have you looked at her body? Hey, there’s a reason why so many men end up fucking with her.”

“It is true that she has inherited my charms.” Alyssa boasted.

“Can we get back on track, please?” Valena cut them off.

“Thank you.” Aegon whispered to his wife before talking to the group. “My brother is right. The Queen will probably try to get in our way. She is trying to thrive and gain power, doing so without any thought for the state of the realm.”

“So we make sure to strike her where it hurt!” Ser Harwin suggested.

Aegon immediately shut him down. “No. We can’t waste our energy fighting the Queen.We need to focus first and foremost on replenishing the treasury.”

“A daunting task.” Lord Lyonel pointed out.

“Which is why I have you all here.”

“I’m of the Kingsguard, Aegon.” Vaelyx interrupted him. “I swore an oath to protect the Queen. I’m not stupid enough to think that we’ll never have issues with Rhaenys.”

“I understand your situation.” Valena told him. “An oath is an oath, and I’m sure Aegon and I would understand if you chose to leave.”

“You’re here to help Viserys, son!” Alyssa complained. “That’s more important!”

“Surely he just doesn’t want to end up like the last oathbreaker.” Jaelyx countered. “Shame and dishonor is all that man has left.”

That wasn’t entirely true, as Aegon had seen Ser Harold Westerling on the Wall, now commanding over all of New Gift. Vaelyx seemed thoughtful, and for a moment Aegon wondered if he had been wrong to bring in his brother.

“No, I’m staying.” Vaelyx declared. “I’m here to protect Viserys and help the Seven Kingdoms. I think I can do much more to achieve that goal here than in the White Tower, awaiting my shift to guard the royal bedroom.”

Aegon nodded. “Very well. Someone tells the kitchens to send food. We have a lot to discuss and it will take a while”

Ah, the League of Sane People comes into being. Of course, they're all going to end up getting bloodily killed, but the effort was made.

This.
Just hope for Laenara that she will end up alive with her daughter at the end.

Ah, the League of Sane People comes into being. Of course, they're all going to end up getting bloodily killed, but the effort was made.

That's hillarious! :D
But it's not like all good Hands and their friends end up dead. Think of Jon Arryn. Or Ned Stark. I'm pretty sure these guy ended up fine, right?

Just hope for Laenara that she will end up alive with her daughter at the end.
Who knows? That mostly depend if Maegon mess up or not, since the law in sadly on his side. But hey, it's Maegon, so surely there's hope.