• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No worries. Write when you can, and we will read whenever something gets produced.

But don't make this stress you out.

I re-made my account just to sub on this awesome AAR, the story so far has been extremely captivating and true to it's Game of Thrones/ASoIaF origins regarding it's classic scheming.

Honestly mate; take your time for such incredible work is worth waiting(Tbh wish I could download the whole story on my phone just to re-read it :D). I hope we see some restructuring in the North's nobility, I mean; it would have been quite funny Maegon becoming the new Lord of the Dreadfort and poor Myles from becoming a squire into a vassal: aka forever stuck with Maegon lol.

Poor Viserys having to deal with his siblings shenanigans.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Take your time real life takes priority! Your writing is well worth waiting for.

No worries. Write when you can, and we will read whenever something gets produced.

But don't make this stress you out.

Thanks guys! I'm hoping to write the end of 109 AC this week, at least, but I can't make any promises.

I re-made my account just to sub on this awesome AAR, the story so far has been extremely captivating and true to it's Game of Thrones/ASoIaF origins regarding it's classic scheming.

Honestly mate; take your time for such incredible work is worth waiting(Tbh wish I could download the whole story on my phone just to re-read it :D). I hope we see some restructuring in the North's nobility, I mean; it would have been quite funny Maegon becoming the new Lord of the Dreadfort and poor Myles from becoming a squire into a vassal: aka forever stuck with Maegon lol.

Poor Viserys having to deal with his siblings shenanigans.

Wow! That's one heck of a compliment! Thanks! Also yeah, Viserys really does not have it easy.

Chapter 76: A New Beginning
CHAPTER 76: A NEW BEGINNING

LAEGOR: December 9th, 109 AC, Kios
wGyPL1Z.jpg

He looked around in his cell, as if he was expecting something new. But as usual, the cell was still the same shit hole it had been when he went to bed; if that pile of straws could be called a bed. There was also this damn bucket he used to shit. While it proved to be a source of entertainment once in a while, the guards were usually not too pleased with the fact of receiving his excrement in their faces. He wondered for a moment how he could have gotten so bored that his poop proved a worthy source of distraction.

The departure of the Sea Snake didn’t help. After their failed escape attempt, the two of them had been brought back to their respective cells. While it had been annoying, at least Laegor could console himself with the fact that he had someone to talk with, if at least to pass time. A few days ago, they had been dragged away from Lys, which Laegor had hoped would prove an opportunity to escape, or at least a chance to see something else than a dirty jail cell. He was disappointed on both ends. On the entire way, he was chained in a cage, with three guards watching over him.

Their jailors had brought them to Kios, as it turned out. The city was in even worst shape then when he left it three years ago. To his frustration, he was brought back to one of the only jail cells still standing, one that happened to look just like the pile of crap he had left back in Lys. Making things worst, he had soon realized that he had lost his fellow prisoner. He never found out if Lord Corlys had been released, if the old man had escaped or if they had just put him in another building. Whatever the reason, he had lost his only source of distraction.

His deep thoughts were interrupted by the sound of two guards approaching his cell. Laegor had always been amazed that no matter the city or the continent, the main prerequisite to be guard was stupidity. There were two morons this time, stopping right in front of his cell. The first took a set of keys from his belt and began unlocking the door. Sadly, his shackles were in the way of any real attempt at escaping, so he simply stood up and shrugged as the two guards entered.

“The High Magister sent us.”

“Really?” Laegor rolled his eyes. “And he sent two idiots instead of coming himself, does he?”

“You shouldn’t speak of your master like that, slave.” One of the guards warned him.

As an answer, he spat in the man’s face. Like hells he was going to show any respect for the morons running the Three Whores. They couldn’t even manage Daemon and his ragtag bunch of losers and then expected respect? As if.

Of course, this warranted him a punch to the stomach.

“Really?” he mocked as he was catching his breath. “Can’t even be original with the punishments?”

One of the two guards seemed ready to give another punch, but the second stopped him.

“We got orders to bring him.” He reminded his colleague.

The man shrugged before grabbing Laegor by the arm. He struggled a bit, although he knew that he was too weak to really cause them any problems. They dragged him through the corridors of the castle, refusing to tell him where they were going, no matter the insults or taunts he threw at them. Finally, they seemed to approach a small room, protected not by doors but by a tick red veil. From a small opening, he could see the High Magister Mero Lornel talking. That jackass who thought himself Laegor’s master.

2aZvgjy.jpg

One of the guards entered the room, signaling to the High Magister that they had brought Laegor. The man turned a bit and looked at Laegor, still held outside of the room.

“And here is my gift.” the High Magister said calmly.

At these words, the guard holding the prisoner threw him in the room, sending Laegor to collide with the ground. He mumbled insults to the guard, although he couldn’t really see him. It was then that he noticed that there were other people in the room. As he raised his head, he finally saw the two angered men looking at him. They looked in shock at his sight. He could understand. He was genuinely shocked and confused to see them here, if not terrified.

“Oh hells…” he complained.
EOlJr06.jpg
EVkmZGZ.jpg

Within seconds, Elaerys had shed his sword and moved to strike his brother’s neck. It was so fast that Laegor barely had time to even blink. In fact, it would have been his last breath if not for Dark Sister blocking the sword. Both Laegor and Elaerys turned to Daemon, confused by his action.

“That bloody traitor’s alive!” Elaerys argued. “I need to finish what I started!”

“Never could finish anything, could you Elaerys?” Laegor mocked.

Elaerys was about to go for another strike when Daemon shut him down.

“ENOUGH!” he ordered, before turning to the High Magister. “How did he end up here?”

“Some slavers found him somewhere and sold him to me.”

“Where?” Elaerys asked in a menacing tone.

“Don’t know.” the High Magister admitted. “It took me a few months to realize that his rants about being a prince were the truth. After that, I thought that I could keep him as a bargaining chip, but he proved to be only another problem.”

“Don't worry,” Laegor started, “I also saw you as nothing more than a cunt.”

The High magister allowed himself one last kick to the prince for that remark.

“He’s all yours.” The Myrman told the princes. “Do what you want with him, and then vacate my capital.”

Laegor tried his best to get on his feet as the High Magister was leaving the room. He looked with worries at his brothers, knowing full well that his chances of getting out of this room alive were low.

“So what now?” he asked them. “You’re going to kill me like cowards? Striking at your own brother while he’s unarmed.”

“It’s what I should have done all those years ago.” Elaerys spat back. “I’m going to correct that mistake.”

“You both want me dead that bad, eh?” Laegor smirked. “What a shit life you must have if I’m atop your priority list.”

“Let’s just get this over with.” Elaerys told Daemon.

“No.” their brother answered.

“You want to keep him alive?” Elaerys exclaimed.

“Really?” Laegor added, just as surprised.

“We’re bringi9ng him with us to the Stepstones.”

“Daemon ,this is Laegor we’re talking about!” Elaerys vehemently reminded Daemon. “Both you and the Hand wanted his head back then.”

“Back then.” Daemon repeated. “When we were still bound to the laws of Westeros. But now I am to be the king of kingdom of pirates, sellswords and criminals. Surely a place where even a scum like our brother can be forgiven.”

“And what will you do when he cause problems?” Elaerys asked.

“Oh, can’t you just shut up for once?” Laegor complained. “Daemon made his decision, and a damn good one at that for once!”

“You just want to live.” Elaerys dismissed him.

“Yeah, no shit I want to live! You think I want to die? If living mean swearing an oath whoever the fuck is needed, then yeah, I’ll do it.”

“So you manage to stay a selfish piece of shit even through slavery.” Daemon commented.

“You disgust me.” Elaerys said.

“And I should care about your stupid opinion?” Laegor replied.

Elaerys raised his sword in anger, but the look Daemon shot at him stopped him right on his track. He pushed as scream of anger, but in the end relented.

“FINE! Deal with this piece of shit if you want, but you better keeps him away from me!”

Elaerys made his wait out of the room, furious of the outcome.

“So,” Laegor began, “Do I get lands in your new kingdoms or…”

He was cut off by Daemon fist hitting his stomach. Laegor fell to his knees, holding his painful chest.

“You? You get nothing.” Daemon coldly answer. “You’re nothing but a lowly slave I took pity on and freed. One that, if he was to step out of line in any sort of way, would end up with his head severed from his body. If I find any reason to regret your survival, then I will gladly fix my mistake. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yeah… clear… as day. Fuck this hurt…”

“Good.” Daemon punched him again. “Now get on your feet, you scumbag. I’ve got a kingdom to rule.”
JxZQEf6.jpg

ELAERYS: December 11th, 109 AC, Bloodstone
iVbXDbV.jpg

“Let me out!” Yorko complained from his cell. “I’m the Lord of Bloodstone!”

“Not anymore.” Daemon countered. “Bloodstone is now my seat, the capital of my kingdom.”

“Your seat? This has been the seat of my family for generations!”

“And it would still be if you hadn’t turned your back on us the second we left your island!” Elaerys spat back.

He hit the bars of the cell with the sword in his hand, just to scare the old man a bit. Seeing Yorko Vunatis in a cell was a nice reminder of their victory. When they had arrived, the pirate lord had welcomed them on his island, although mostly because of his fears that their dragons would destroy his domain. The second they moved out of the Stepstones, however, Vunatis reverted to his loyalty to the Three Daughters. He played a big part in the destruction of the Velaryon’s army and the capture of Lord Corlys. The loss of the Stepstones had caused them many problems, and Elaerys pinned it just as much on Vunatis as on the Crabfeeder.

gOugb6B.jpg

After their final victory at Kios, the Three Daughters agreed to give them the islands. They had also released Lord Corlys and, sadly, Laegor. So it was victorious that they had returned to the Stepstones. The local pirates, seeing that they had lost the protection of the Three Daughters, had no issue backstabbing Yorko Vunatis and offering him as a gift to their new king.

“And why am I the only lord who’s been treated this way? I welcomed you to my home while they fought you.”

“You’re not.” Elaerys told him.

It was true. A few other pirate lords had tried to face them until the bitter end, although they had all been dealt with in a matter of hours, mostly by due to their own men. Sunstone was also technically independent and ruled by Ironborns, although its leader had agreed to pay nominal tribute to Daemon, which his brother had agreed. For now.

t5LRAND.jpg

Daemon crouched down to get closer to Yorko’s face. He now wore a small crown on his head, a golden circle4 that pointed up at the front. Along his black armor, his red cape and Darksister hanging at hios belt, Elaerys had to admit that his brother looked impressing. And intimidating. Daemon looked silently at the old man, before suddently grabbing him by the throat and trusting him backward.

“Loyalty is rewarded.” he said. “And betrayal is punished. And you betrayed me. So you’ll rot into this cell while I take everything you had.”

He rose up, pointing at the sword Elaerys had been holding.

“Including this.”

The pirate’s eyes grew wider.

“This is my sword!”

“Actually, it isn’t.” Elaerys replied. “Poison is mine, and mine alone now.”

When Daemon had confiscated all the holdings and wealth of Yorko Vunatis, he had given the Valyrian Steel Sword to his brother as a gift, a reward for helping him during the campaign. It felt nice to have his own Valyrian Sword, in a way. Outside of himself, the only other Targaryens who had one were Viserys, who owned Blackfyre, and Daemon, who wielded Darksister. However, he couldn’t help but feel like it was a consolation prize for the loss of his dragon.

ALkfKQD.jpg

Yorko Vunatis continued to complain, but the two brothers simply ignored him and walked away. They wandered through the corridors of the castle until they reached a small hall. The room was already filled with people. Generals, nobles, pirates and mercenary captains were waiting for them. A small wooden throne had been put at the end of the room, a temporary seat for Daemon until a more permanent one could be ordered. As they approached it, Elaerys noted their brother Laegor standing in retreat of the crowd. He still couldn’t believe that this scum had been allowed to live, and even worst, to move in with them.

mgvhePj.jpg

As Daemon sat down on his throne, many in the room bent a knee, although neither of his brothers did. Elaerys still had to grasp with the idea that they weren’t equals anymore. He had always considered Daemon both his rival and friend, someone who he could challenge. Whatever Daemon did, he could do, sometimes even better. But now, Daemon had a throne and a dragon while he had none. As for Laegor’s refusal to bend the knee, Elaerys just guessed that his brother was still the same idiot as before.

“Long live the King of the Stepstones!” screamed a man.

“Long live King Daemon!” shouted another.

The cheers continued like that for a while, although they stopped as soon as Daemon raised a hand. Daemon then announced that he would begin giving out titles. One at a time, the noblemen advanced and bent in front of their king, awaiting Daemon’s decision. He handed out islands and forts to the men that had followed him over the course of his campaign and reconfirm the titles of some pirate lords that had the good sense of siding with the Targaryens. Most notably, Ser Devin Vizmar, who had been a commander during the whole campaign, was made Lord of Wreckstone, and Osmund Buckshorn, who had led the assault on Kios multiple times, was given The Skulls as his seat.

lAIvrP6.jpg
0C3mv72.jpg

“Elaerys, step forward.” Daemon commanded.

Elaerys did so, standing right in front of the throne. Daemon didn’t seem offended by the fact that he refused to bend the knee. Maybe it was because he was a Targaryen Prince, maybe it was out of respect, or maybe it was simply because they were close enough to allow Elaerys a free pass.

“For your services by my side, I give you the site of your first victory; the island of Dark Den. I also appoint you Lord of the Northern Stepstones, to protect and defend the region against the enemies of our kingdom.”

“Thank you brother.”

This would make him the most powerful lord of the Stepstones, aside from the king himself. He quickly realized that he would even have Lord Osmund Buckshorn as a bannerman. However, his lands would be the landing point of any invasion coming from Essos, meaning that he was to be the first line of defense. It was a task worthy of his talent.

FiFHe3o.jpg

“Don’t I get anything?”

Elaerys turned to see Laegor approaching the throne, clearly infuriated by his lack of mention in the ceremony. Elaerys wondered how his brother could be that selfish and idiotic, even after Daemon had been kind (or stupid) enough to let him live.

“If you don’t shut up it’s my sword that you’ll get.” Elaerys warned him.

It seemed that Laegor could at least understand threats, as he back offs and returned into the crowd, grumbling in his corner about some idiocy.

As the ceremony finished, Elaerys immediately took a ship and left for his new seat. The sea proved surprisingly calmed this day, allowing him to make his way to Dark Den without a hitch. He quickly disembarked as he arrived. As his feet touched the floor, he looked at the beach, bitterly remembering the battle he fought there. At the time, he was naïve and full of dreams. And it was in this battle that Silverwing was wounded. If it had not been for this wound, he would still be a dragon rider.

He entered the castle in haste. The dark structure bored its name rightfully, the black stones giving it a menacing aura. Sadly, it had been damaged during the conquest and reconquest of the Stepstones. While he would not call it in ruins, it was certainly in need of immediate repairs if he planned to live there permanently. He also thought of hading a garden, although he wasn’t sure that the island had enough good soil for one.

As he entered, he noticed the people running around. They seemed to have noticed him too, as they bowed each time he passed next to them. Surely servants of the former lord, or maybe slaves for that matter. He didn’t really care. He grabbed one and asked him to lead him to the main hall. The panicked woman immediately showed him one of the rooms, barely the size of Daemon’s hall. The table at its center was broken, the chairs thrown all around. It seemed that whatever valuable might have been there had been taken by the mercenaries when they sacked the island.

Elaerys noticed the half burned seat at the end of the room. He slowly walked to it. It was the chair of the lord, so he might as well try it. It was uncomfortable. He would probably have to find a better one. From his seat, he could look at the dilapidated room he was in. The sight made him only bitterer, and so he drew his new sword Poison to admire it instead. As he looked at the blade, he wondered. He had left King’s Landing almost four years ago as a prince and a dragon rider, full of hopes and ambitions. Now, he was bitterly sitting in a small castle atop an ugly island, with only a sword at his side to replace the dragon he had lost. And he asked himself:

“Had it been worth it?”

PS: So that’s it for 109 AC. As I said before, 108-109 brought big changes to the status quo, most notably the fall of the Hightowers, the rise of Rhaenys, Vaeron becoming triarch (for all the good it did for him), and the rest of the Essosi Cast finally settling in the Stepstones. As for my favorite character this year, it’s clearly Rhaenys. It was her biggest success so far, and I loved writing her parts.

PPS: Again, sorry for the slow writing. I thought I might have been able to do it last week end, but in the end I couldn’t. Actually wrote this chapter during my dinner breaks at the job (I only have half of the hour for writing, which is why it’s so slow).

Last edited:
PPS: Again, sorry for the slow writing. I thought I might have been able to do it last week end, but in the end I couldn’t. Actually wrote this chapter during my dinner breaks at the job (I only have half of the hour for writing, which is why it’s so slow).

Don't worry, write when you can and don't try to push yourself too hard. Besides you are updating damned more regularly than I am for my AAR so you shouldn't worry too much :p

Great chapter btw!

The brothers are re-united.

I think Daemon is the excellent "master" of Laegor. He speaks the language the latter understands, that of the fist and whip

• 1Like
Reactions:
Don't worry, write when you can and don't try to push yourself too hard. Besides you are updating damned more regularly than I am for my AAR so you shouldn't worry too much :p

Great chapter btw!

Haha! Well, we all have our own speed! :D

The brothers are re-united.

I think Daemon is the excellent "master" of Laegor. He speaks the language the latter understands, that of the fist and whip

Let's hope that he can teach laegor to shut up, if that's possible. :p

Very satisfying way for the year to end. Rhaenys marriagie to Viserys and finally Daemon's adventure comes to an end but Laegor, oh man 'tis was most unexpected HE surviving and being freed lol nevertheless this story can't stop amusing me with every surprise.

Btw mate relax, this chapter was worth waiting. The writing superb was superb, I mean; let's face some facts because some of us are jealous of such writing skill :D

Chapter 77: An Eastern Coalition
CHAPTER 77: AN EASTERN COALITION

ELAERYS: January 6nd, 110 AC, Bloodstonem
OZavslR.jpg

When he had woken up on Dark Den this morning, he had two letters awaiting him. One gave him he satisfaction of putting his biggest shame behind him, and the other one filled him with so much rage that he ordered a boat to sail for Bloodstone so he could give Daemon a piece of his mind.

The first letter had been from Oldtown. When the negotiations with the Three Whores had begun, Elaerys had decided to send a letter to the High Septon, demanding the right to divorce his treacherous wife. It had been less than a year since she had given birth to a bastard, Maegon’s bastard no less! His brother had copulated with his wife! This had been unacceptable, and so ever since he learned of it he had been trying to disengage himself from his union. Thankfully, most subjects of the Iron Throne still had prejudices against the Dornishmen, and that included the High Septon. For the first time in nine years, he was a bachelor again. If only he could hurt Maegon like he had hurt him, this would have started as a perfect day…

TN9AEgg.jpg

Sadly, if the first letter from Oldtown had brought him joy, the second one from Bloodstone had sent him into a rage. This was unacceptable. He had fought for Daemon, did his best so that his brother could have a crown. Obviously, he had expected a reward worthy of his accomplishments, and this was what Daemon offered him as a prize? No, it would not do.

The guard of the island immediately led him into the castle without saying a word. They had noticed how pissed off Elaerys looked and had decided that it was better to not piss off the angry prince. He even noticed Laegor immediately turning back at his sight, probably afraid to confront him. His brother commented this with a “Fuck this.” as be marched away. The sight of Laegor walking as a free man still disgusted him, but Elaerys was not here to give his badmouthed brother a beating. Maybe after, though, so he could vent his frustration if the meeting went badly.

An idiotic guard tried to tell him that the king was occupied, that Elaerys shouldn’t enter the throne room right now. He didn’t listen, forcing the door open. He found Daemon sitting on his throne, smiling at the whore that sat on his lap. The whore was Mysaria, of course. This island was too small to harbor a true whorehouse or to have one built in such short notice. Neither Daemon nor Mysaria moved as Elaerys approached them, although the jovial smile his brother was sporting grew more serious as Daemon looked at Elaerys’s face.

6FV6gHG.jpg

“Any reason for this unexpected visit, brother?” Daemon welcomed him.

“Master of Ships?” Elaerys exclaimed. “That’s all I’m worth to you? I thought I was supposed to become your Hand!”
txFHEwF.jpg

Daemon told Mysaria to get off him. She grunted, but she did as asked. Daemon stood from his throne and began walking, inviting Elaerys to follow him in this little walk. While still frustrated, Elaerys followed at his brother’s side.

“So that’s the issue?” Daemon asked.

“I thought I was your second in command.”

“You were.” Daemon agreed. “But the war is over, and now I need to rule a kingdom that has been nothing but a pirate’s den for the last millennia.”

“So you give the position to some local pirate? I’ve always been by your side, always!”

Daemon stopped, his eyes narrowing as he looked at Elaerys.

“I need a Hand that won’t turn on me when things get though.” Daemon coldly told his brother.

Elaerys felt a spike of shame. He regreted leading what had almost turned into a full blown mutiny against his brother that day, and ever since he had been trying his hardest to prove that he was worthy of Daemon’s trust. This campaign had been a challenge for everyone involved, and in a moment of weakness he had taken a bad decision.

“And beside,” Daemon continued, “I gave you another position on my Council.”

“Master of Ships? With all due respects, that sound like a consolation prize.” Elaerys complained. “Why not give it to another pirate? Surely they can command a fleet right.”

“And you think I can trust them with it?” Daemon asked his brother. “Our fleet is our best asset in the Stepstones, and I can only give its control to someone I trust to remain loyal.”

He turned, putting a hand on his brother’s shoulder. “I prefer to see it in your hands than in the hands of a potential traitor.”

“Besides, you don’t have a dragon anymore, so if you do something stupid Daemon can just fly up and rain fire on you.” Mysaria added with a smirk.

Elaerys frowned at this comment, but chose to ignore it. He wasn’t going to get in an argument with the whore, not with Daemon right next to him.

r72TS4u.jpg

“And who’s the Hand, then?” he asked.

“A former pirate lord who had the good sense of surrendering to us.” Daemon told him.

“Lord Horio is a Lyseni who had the good sense of abandoning his pirate ways and choosing the Lord of Light instead.” Mysaria explained. “A wise man.”
8Yz9ALi.jpg

A lyseni? Elaerys had a flash of suspicion that neither his skills nor his trustworthiness. After all, when had a Hand ever been selected for his talents in stewarding the realm? No, he was now be3ginning to think that it was this conniving whore that cost him his position as Daemon’s Hand. During the campaign, he had butted head with her at multiple occasions, and now she was making him pay for it. What a sneaky woman. He would have to keep an eye on her from now on.

“Oh?” Myseria snarled as she noticed Elaerys’s expression. “Do you have something to say, Prince Elaerys?”

He was about to tell her a piece of his mind when a guard entered the room. He bowed as he noticed the king right in front of him, instead of on the throne as he expected.

“Your Majesty!”

“Speak.” Daemon ordered.

“Messengers from Pentos, your Majesty.” The guard explained. “They seek audience.”

The two brothers turned to one another, confused.

“Pentos?” Elaerys exclaimed. “What could they want from you?

VAERON: January 28th, 110 AC, Volantis
i6QpisJ.jpg

His slaves were carrying him to the palace where the meeting had been arranged. He took a time to look at his reflection over the shield of an unsullied guarding the entrance. It still shocked him to see himself without most of his hairs. Maybe it was due to the stress, or maybe it was just age, but over the last year Vaeron had been losing hairs at an alarming speed. He tried his best to wear a hat or a helmet to cover it, but his wife had told him that it only made it clear that he was trying too hard to hide the top of his head.

But the thought of going bald was nothing compared to the thought of the meeting he was about to enter. News from the other Free Cities had convinced him that there was need to act outside of Volantis. As an Elephant, he usual opposed any external action. However, what was happening in the North could spread South, and that would be a danger to the economy of Volantis. The problem was that the other Elephant would be had to convince. As for Benerro, he wasn’t sure if his Tigers policies would take priority over his anger against his son-in-law.

“You seem nervous.” said the white haired man waiting at the entrance.

“A bit.” Vaeron admitted.

“At least tell me that I didn’t do all that work for nothing.”

Vaeron shook his head. Moqorro Maegyr looked relieved at this. Vaeron was a bit ticked off by the abundant long hairs that he had, considering that the man was two years older than him. Moqorro was the eldest of Aenar’s two sons. Because of this, he was second in line after his father to succeed his uncle Benerro as the head of House Maegyr. Unexpectedly, Moqorro had been the only Maegyr to keep contact with Vaeron after he was ostracised by the family. He learned that it might be due to the fate of Moqorro’s brother Jaekar. Due to his stubbornness and lack of religious values, Jaekar had clashed with their father and uncle, leading to his exile from Volantis a year before Vaeron’s arrival. This left a rift between Moqorro and his elders, a rift that make him more than willing to listen to what Vaeron had to say.
BmjZPwF.jpg

“Thank you again for…”

“For convincing my uncle to come to the meeting, I know.” Moqorro rolled his eyes. “I trust that you make good use of it. It was a lot of work to convince him to come, and I’m not interested in working that hard again.”

“It was necessary...”

“Just make sure that whatever you’re trying to do happens.” Moqorro cut him off.

Vaeorn nodded before ordering his porters to carry his seat inside. The doors were large enough to allow them to carry him in without any issue. It had gotten him a while to get used to this tradition. Walking had become an occasional thing ever since he won his first election. They even bought an elephant for the election last year, winning back his seat by a narrow margin.

The porters entered the circular room where the meeting was to be held. Columns representing dragons where holding an open sealing, allow any occupant to bask in the daylight. He noticed to his embarrassment that he was the last one to arrive. Benerro Maegyr, his father-in-law, was already fuming in his throne, clearly sick of to wait for his arrival. Meanwhile, Triarch Aenar Qhaedar was reading a book in silence, which he closed when he heard Vaeron’s seat being deposed on the ground.
AFCX4FJ.jpg
P6zTseL.jpg

“Finally!” Benerro complained.

“I’m sorry for being late…” Vaeron mumbled.

“How dare you even make us wait?” Benerro continued.

“You were the one to summon us here.” Triarch Aenar added.

Vaeron hated the fact that he had been late. However, he had also feared that arriving early would leave him vulnerable. He still remembered how Triarch Qavo Valearos had been ambushed and killed. He had barely escaped this attempt on his life and had no desire to relieve the experience. So as much as he wanted to arrive first and not start this meeting on the wrong foot, continuing to live still remained a top of his priorities.

“I… I can only give excuses, my fellow triarchs.”

Benerro scoffed at this, as if he refused to acknowledge this. Once again, it was made clear that since his betrayal Aenar had gained more influence over the triarch. The old Qhaedar simply remained silent, passing his book to a slave so he would have his hands freed if he needed to look through documents.

“Our fellow triarch…” Benerro mocked. “He’s not even born here, yet he think of himself as our equal.”

This remark hurt Vaeron, even though he knew these were Aenar’s words whispered to Benerro. He had grown to consider Volantis his home far more than King’s Landing, and Benerro had played a big part in making him feel welcomed here. To see him now so opposed to his presence here showed how much their relationship had deteriorated.

“Now now, Benerro. Vaeron has been elected just like us, no matter how dubious his presence here is.”

As always, Triarch Aenar Qhaedar only did a half assed effort to come to his aid. The oldest of the three triarchs had made it clear that while he accepted the presence of a foreigner among them, he would make no effort to help him or work with him outside of necessary.

“Now,” Triarch Aenar continued, “would you mind telling us the reason behind this meeting?”

Vaeron nodded and ordered his slaves to place a table between them, after which they brought a massive map of the Narrow Sea. On it was man indications, showing the movements of fleets and armies, mostly centered on Pentos.

“Have you heard of… hum…”

“Just speak!” Benerro pressed him on. “You know that I’m a busy man!”

He wasn’t, actually. Most probably, Aenar was the one managing the affairs of House Maegyr since his departure.

“The war between Braavos and Pentos.” Triarch Aenar noted.

“Indeed. Braavos has declared war to Pentos at the end of last year, just as the Three Daughters were finishing theirs.” Vaeron explained.

“Aren’t you related to this ‘King of the Stepstones’?” the old triarch inquired, most out of courtesy than genuine interest.

“It’s his stupid older brother.” Benerro interjected. “And I don’t see how any of this is relevant right now!”

“This war…” Vaeron began.

“Yes, I fail to see how it relates to us in any way other than potential risk for our traders if they go north.” Triarch Aenar cut him off.

“…isn’t a simple war between two cities.” Vaeron continued. “It engulfs the entire Essosi coast. Both the Stepstones and the Three Daughters have declared themselves for Pentos.”
1qKWFAe.jpg

To everyone else surprise, Benerro erupted into a loud laughter.

“Oh, now I fucking see it!” he declared triumphantly. “You just want to back up your brother!”

Vaeron couldn’t believe how wrong Benerro was. The fact that Daemon was also participating was not remotely the point of this.

“It’s about stopping the actions of Braavos.”

“And what should I care about bloody Braavos?” Benerro complained.

“But…”

“They’re up North, and I’m down South! Fuck them!”

“And you would let Braavos take the lead?” Vaeron asked.

“Hum?”

“I mean… if Braavos win… who knows where it will end?”

“What are you talking about?” Triarch Aenar wondered out loud.

“This war is not for territories, or commercial advantages. Braavos wants to abolish slavery in Pentos.”

Benerro grunted in opposition to his, and Triarch Aenar’s eyes grew wider.

“Abolishing slavery? How dare they!” Benerro objected.

“Exactly.” Vaeron agreed, which immediately seemed to tick off his father-in-law.

“Even so, why should I agree to help you and your brother?”

“Because… no matter what I did, and how I betrayed you… we cannot let Braavos impose its will on the Narrow Sea.” Vaeron managed to say. “Can’t you let that happen?”

Beneror seemed to hesitate, and for a moment Vaeorn feared that the man’s pride would get him to make a bad decision.

“You want to work with me?” Benerro asked, incredulous. “After the way you’ve betrayed me?”

“Whatever dispute we have is petty if we cannot save Volantis.”

Benerro pondered for a moment, before finally relenting, to Vaeron relief.

“Fine! I’m not happy about it, and especially not about you, but I can’t let those damn Braavosi show us off!”

Vaeron nodded in agreement before turning to the third triarch, who had remained mostly silent during the discussion.

“I’m an Elephant, and I thought that you were one too.” he told Vaeron. “Why should I support such endeavour?”

“Our trade will suffer.” Vaeron said. “If Pentos cannot trade slaves, it’s an entire market that closes to us. And if Braavos decided to continue in their emancipation…”

Vaeron turned his eyes to the slaves present in the room. The message was clear enough: if Braavos was allowed to continue, they might outlaw the use of slavery in Volantis too. And the old order would not survive such an economic shift.

“While I have no intention of leading troops, I do agree that Braavos’s actions are… troubling.” Triarch Aenar conceited.

“It is all I ask.” Vaeron said with a smile.

“Then I also vote yes.”

“Then it’s unanimous!” Benerro shouted. “Volantis is at war with those bastards in Bravoos!”
H3TLYuN.jpg

Last edited:
That Daemon joined Pentos's side is strange though. Is he a slaver ?

He's not a slaver himself, but slavery is still legal in the Stepstones (he didn't change it when he arrived). His involvement is less about slavery and more about recognition and having Pentos owed them one (similar to how Sardinia-Piedmont joined the Crimean War to get in France's good grace and to show they were big boys too, even if they had zero interest in the war itself)

That was something of an awkward meeting.

Chapter 78: Back on Track
CHAPTER 78: BACK ON TRACK
VALERION: February 9th, 110 AC, Dragonstone
Hs9Nkm4.jpg

“Finally you’re back!” Rhaenyra exclaimed herself.

“And I’m happy to be back, your Highness.” Lord Corlys responded. “It is always an honor to serve you.”

His niece extended a hand to the Lord of Driftmark, holding her book in the other. She had been in the library alongside Maester Cleitus when news had arrived of the Seasnake’s return. She had made her way so fast that she had forgotten to leave her book behind. Or maybe she just liked books that much, like Vaeron did.

LKwbmMn.jpg

The Princess of Dragonstone seemed happy to see the return of her biggest advisor. Valerion was just as relieved to see the old man come back home. With Aurion failing to rise up to the occasion, Valerion had been the one forced to step in during the absence of Lord Corlys. The bannermen of Dragonstone had been problematics, trying to do as they pleased in the absence of a strong hand to rein them. While Vaeron had proven that he was no softy, he was content to let someone with more experience deal with them. It had been an exhausting task. In fact, he had been surprised that the old man took so long to return home after his release.

AfvKmWh.jpg

“Then why did it take so long for you to come back?” Valerion asked.

“Hum?” Lord Corlys mumbled, his focus still on Rhaenyra.

The young girl opened her book. “I read the Nine Voyages about your expeditions during your absence.”

“How did you find them?” the lord asked.

“Interesting. It also allowed me to understand the time it takes to go from Essos to Dragonstone. So why the delay?”

“I made a stop in the Stepstones for your uncle coronation.” Lord Corlys explained.

“A coronation doesn’t take two months.” Valerion pointed out.

“No, but King Daemon wanted my help to set up his kingdom. I took my leave when I was certain that trade would be protected and money would flow into the king’s treasury.”

“How are my uncles doing?” Rhaenyra asked.

Lord Corlys seemed startled by the question. “Your uncles? Hum, well… When I left, Daemon was setting in nicely as King of the Stepstones. Elaerys is havin issues with some Daemon’s decisions, but I’m certain that he’ll come around… eventually. And then… that’s it.”

Well that was one strange way to end his sentence. Valerion guessed that the old man wanted to keep some information for himself, although he couldn’t really think of why. It was clear that Lord Corlys wanted to change the subject.

“Enough about the Stepstones!” the man declared. “I’m more curious about my daughter. Where is Laena? I expected her to simply fly to my ship as soon as it approached the island, yet I haven’t seen her.”

“She’s with Maegon…” Valerion told his father-in-law.

Valerion felt down just thinking about it. It had been months since Maegon had left the island to go play pirates against the Northern forces. What Maegon did wasn’t the issue, but that Laena had chosen to go with him. He knew that his wife craved for adventure and successes and that their cramped home. His obligations to Rhaenyra meant he could not come with them, and because of that he was left alone in bed at night, not that they would have done much in it other than sleeping. He missed her, yet he always felt like it would be wrong to simply abandon everything and flight to his wife.

3lvfxJv.jpg

“I see…” Lord Corlys whispered, seeing the expression on Valerion’s face. “Did you two produce any children in my absence?”

Valerion was so surprised that he almost chocked on his own spit. With his usual health, this was followed by a long series of coughs, stopping him from answering. He had to support himself on the wall to stay up while he coughed. It took him more than a minute to finally be able to catch up his breath enough to speak a word.

“We… don’t have… any plans of… the sort…” he coughed. “No child… on its way…”

“Oh?” Valerion could swear he heard a note of deception in his voice. “Then the white haired girl I saw when I arrived isn’t yours?”

That must be my cousin Alyssa.” Rhaenyra guessed. “She’s uncle Maegon’s daughter.”

Valerion made sure he had fully recovered his breath before continuing. “And I’d appreciate it if you didn’t go around doing wild assumptions.”

The old man nodded, although he wasn’t sure if that would stop him. People who lived in Dragonstone tended to be stubborn. Little Alyssa had only recently began to use his actual name instead of calling him Vaeron, and both his mother and his sister-in-law Alys Strong had given him an headache during their stay on the island. If Maegon had been here to have his own strongwilled personality, Valerion doubted that anything could have been done.

OR7llVi.jpg

“It’s a shame…” Lord Corlys sighed. “I was hoping for grandchildren. Laena is far away without a child, and I’m afraid that Laenor’s wife is barren.”

Oh, that wasn’t why Laenor hadn’t produced any child. Even Valerion heard of the young man ‘s “preferences”…

“I heard that her Highness Laenara gave birth to their daughter in King’s Landing?” Lord Corlys mentioned.

“She’s not living here anymore.” Valerion told the old man. “Maegon decided that his daughter would be better raised with him, away from her mother.”

“So many things have changed in my absence…” Lord Corlys lamented. “When I left, the two of them were still lovebirds. And now they live in different castles! Not only that, but I return to find out that the North has rebelled, the Hightowers are out of power and now Princess Rhaenys is our Queen.”

Rhaenys as Queen. That was a scary thought that Valerion still had to accept…

RHAENYS: February 16th, 110 AC, King’s Landing
6VjBjLM.jpg

The light of day was striking her face as her head rested on her pillow. It seemed that she had slept through the early hours of the day. Yet no one had bothered to wake her up. No the maids, not the guards, not even her fat husband. She wasn’t sure if she was frustrated to have wasted so much time or if she enjoyed the fact that she could just stay in bed all day without anyone able to even criticize her for doing so.

It seemed that Viserys had gotten up early. She wasn’t sure how he had been able to move through their room without making the planks crack under his weight, which would have undoubtedly awoken her. Last night, they had once again spent some time in bed. She was trying to do so as often as possible so she could get pregnant. She needed a child to secure her position, and a legitimate one that wouldn’t remind everyone her tendencies to share her bed with multiple men. Indeed, she had to be even more discreet with Morghil now that she was Queen. The Commander of the Gold Cloaks hadn’t been happy with this loss of attention, but since when did his opinion matter?

She shouted at the door, knowing that there was surely guards on the other side.

“FIND ME MAIDS SO I CAN GET DRESSED!”

She heard someone running away. They were listening. Good. Now, she didn’t really need the maids. She would probably be able to dress herself if she took the time. But she was Queen now, which meant she could enjoy the slight of lowlifes doing the menial things she would normally do herself. Sure enough, three maids entered the room a few minutes later with dressed and robes. She shouted at them, criticizing their choices of clothes and taking every opportunity to make their job harder.

As always, she looked perfect, the most beautiful woman in King’s Landing. She finally opened the door of her room. Standing on the other side were two men with white cloaks, Kingsguards that Viserys probably ordered to protect her. The first was the Lord Commander, an arrogant fool named Randyll Shett. He was a sweet talker, but oblivious to all the politics happening at his expense. Her eyes narrowed when she noticed that Vaelyx was standing by his side. Unlike Ser Randyll, her brother wasn’t smiling as he saw her.

lDVFosK.jpg
XkC3MTr.jpg

The two men immediately fell to their knee to incline themselves in front of their Queen. She knew that Vaelyx had disapproved of her marriage with Viserys, which was why she had sent him to the Iron Isles, so he would only learn of it when it was too late. Even so, Vaelyx was stupid enough to be a man of honor and principles, which meant that he would protect and respect her as he would for any of their brother’s previous queens. She enjoyed the sight of him bending in front of her, recognizing her superiority over him. She decided to have some fun, grabbing his head and forcing him to lower it, just to humiliate him more. He didn’t resist, although she was certain that he was fuming with frustration.

“You should learn how to bow to your Queen, brother.” she taunted. “Take example on Ser Randyll. He knows how to do it.”

“Thank you, your Grace.” Ser Randyll said. “You look radiant today.”

“Obviously.”

She immediately ordered them up. While she enjoyed seeing them lower themselves, it would be hard for them to follow her like that. She immediately ordered Vaelyx to leave. He seemed relieves at this order, and immediately exited her presence, probably to go grovel in the White Tower. Whatever he was doing, she didn’t want him with her when she would meet with others later on.

Ser Randyll walked beside her as she travelled through Maegor’s Holdfast. People were saluting her and bowing as she passed through the hallways, often adding a “Your Grace” for good measure. That feeling of superiority she had every time someone said those two words… How did she live without this before?

“Wait, stop righ…” pleaded a familiar voice.

Before she could ask who had said that, Rhaenys found herself in collision with a small boy. The white haired toddler was running when he collided with her, and Ser Randyll had to hold her so she would lose her footing. She angrily looked at the boy, who she immediately recognized as her nephew Prince Aenys, Viserys’s son. This only gave her more reason to show disdain and frustration for him. He was an obstacle. Even worst, he was the last remaining legacy of that Hightower whore.

2g2soSs.jpg

She was about to slap the boy when Laenara arrived in haste. She had probably been running after him when Aenys ran into the queen. Laenara seemed to understand what was going on and wrapped Aenys in her arms, tugging him away from Rhaenys.

“Your grace.” Laenara said.

Rhaenys enjoyed seeing the jalousy in her sister’s eyes. Laenara had made the stupid mistake of marrying Maegon instead of choosing a better man, which was why Rhaenys was Queen and Laenara was stuck with raising others’ children instead of her own. Then again, Vaelyx had been the only other suitor for Laenara had the time, so she wouldn’t have achieved much anyway.

2fliHql.jpg

“Sister, aren’t you supposed to watch over the young prince?”

“Yes, but the little boy can be quite fast when he wants to.”

“And that’s why he ran into me?” Rhaenys screamed at her.

“Your Highness,” Ser Randyll intervened. “You should let the prince go around without protection. Who knows who he might run into?”

“He wasn’t without protection.” said a man.

He walked confidently behind Laenara, as if he was convinced that he had the situation handled. Ser Harwin Breakbones was standing tall, not showing any deference to his queen. The Master-of-Arms was in charge of the Red Keep’s garrison, so it made sense that he would ensure the security of the young prince when the Kingsguard was occupied.

jvNreKj.jpg

“Then you did a bad job, Ser Harwin.” Rhaenys criticized. “He ran around unsupervised. He could have hurt me.”

“Since when are you an expert in my job?” the man asked.

“Since I’m your Queen.”

Ser Harwin turned to Laenara. “If her Highness could tell her Grace that I take orders from the King only and not from an arrogant woman, I would appreciate it.”

“I am not getting into this.” Laenara objected. I’m just here to take care of Aenys.”

“Who, should anything happen to Rhaenyra, is the next in line, before any bastard the King might produce with some lesser woman.”

Rhaenys was fuming, but she managed to hide it behind a fake smile. “You are quite right. Now out of the way.”

She pushed her step-son aside and continued, trying her best to hide her frustration. She heard Laenara leaving with Aenys in the other direction, with a grumbling Ser Harwin following them. She would remember that Ser Harwin was no someone she could count as usable, but that he had to be sidelined if possible. That would be extremely hard to do however. His father was probably the most powerful member of the Small Council, and his sister was married to a Targaryen prince. She could allow herself to wait for an opportunity, one that would allow her to rid herself of this insolent brute. But for now, she had to deal with a more immediate treat.

She finally arrived at the room she was searching. She ordered Ser Randyll to stand guard.

“Are you sure, your Grace?” he asked. “I need to make sure you’re safe, and I’d do a far better job of it by following you inside.”

She rolled her eyes. “Yes, Ser Randyll, I’ll be safe in this room. Now guard the door like the great lap d… like the paramount knight you are.”

She entered and closed the door before he could protest. Waiting for her in the room were her two closests allies on the Small Council. First there was her lover, Ser Morghil Lychfield, who owed her his entire career. No, his entire status. Without her help, he wouldn’t even have become a knight, let alone a nobleman. She knew she could count on him, even if their affair might suffer from her new position. With him was the most easily bribable man he had ever seen, Septon Alyn. He followed money first and foremost, which is why he first sided with the Hightowers before switching to Rhaenys when they began their downfall two years ago.

96HQD8L.jpg
erPbv5G.jpg

“Queen Rhaenys.” Morghil welcomed her.

“Do you have something on the Hand?” she asked them, deciding to jump directly into the subject of this meeting.

The two men looked at one another. She noticed that Morghil seemed hesitant. He better not be having a crisis of conscience now, especially since they had been having an affair for years.

“What is it, Ser Morghil?”

“Are you sure that it will help the king?” he asked innocently. “We are here to help the realm, right?”

“Of course.” She smiled. “We’re simply doing a service to his Majesty, that’s all.”

And more importantly, she needed to get rid of a potential rival. She didn’t know Lord Gwayne Stokeworth, but she could guess that coming back as a war hero would make him popular enough to be a treat to her. She needed to find some reason to have Viserys remove the Hand and replace him with someone more… malleable.

M41gdJj.jpg

“So, what did you find on him?”

“Well, I was able to find this from some of the faithfuls and…”

Septon Alyn was interrupted when the queen grabbed the piece of paper in his hand. She read it twice to be sure it wasn’t a joke, a stupid idiotic joke. She looked at her two collaborators, who confirmed that they had the same informations.

“Really?” she exclaimed dumbfounded. “He’s going for a Gyles Groster Plot?”

Last edited:
Those ambitious kingslanders truly have a problem with King's Landing.

This is actually quite funny in the meanwhile, as I have the feeling that Targaryen family is starting to splitting up into clans, each with their own followers.

A lot has changed whilst he has been away

As for Rhaenys - it doesn't fill me with confidence.

Those ambitious kingslanders truly have a problem with King's Landing.

Honestly, I never expected that the Gyles Groster Plot would become a regular thing, mostly because it's SO STUPID. It's not like they're trying to steal the Hihg Lordship of Duskendale or something. No, it's the High Lordship of King's Landing, the region directly under the King's control. And the worst part is that they aren't even trying to overthrow the king, as if they thought he would simply accept the fact they just stole his lands from him. That's by far the stupidest plot I ever saw.

A lot has changed whilst he has been away

Yeah, a lot has changed. I was actually reuploading the pictures for the first year (thanks again to the one who pointed it out to me about the disappeared pics). It hit me how much things had changed over the last 4 years. Heck, half of the Small Council has changed since then.

Chapter 79: I Want Differently
CHAPTER 79: I WANT DIFFERENTLY
MAEGON: February 22nd, 110 AC, White Harbor
1B5xF9y.jpg

Maegon looked at the sea. It was calm today, with no wave in sight. Too bad. He enjoyed the risk of fighting over a troubled sea, the feeling of the wave hitting the wood and the ground shacking under his feet. He also enjoyed seeing the enemy sailors fall off board. While it was sad that he couldn’t inflict their death himself, he enjoyed this expression of terror the enemies felt when they descended in the water. It was an expression he hadn’t seen before on those he tortured before. That was one of the things he liked the most about this campaign: new experiences.

Talking of new experiences, Maegon looked at Laena Velaryon. The young lady was giving orders to the sailors, ordering them to stop sulking and get ready for battle. She had this commanding aura that reminded him of Daemon. He remembered how his older brother always talked with authority and certainty, making sure that everyone listened and obeyed when he spoke. Laena was proving to have that same talent. Never would Maegon have guessed her to be good at commanding others if she hadn’t joined him.

edVBS91.jpg

In fact, she was proving to be quite a pleasant company to have. Just like him, his sister-in-law seemed to enjoy this expedition up north. But while he came out of a desire to punish the enemies of House Targaryen and to prove his worth, she seemed to have been motivated by a desire to do something worthwhile. Laena seemed to have been bored with the life in Dragonstone, and so had searched an escape where one presented itself.

If only she could search such escape in him. Maegon had to admit that she was stunning, showing all the beauty expected of a pure blooded Valyrian. She had been of excellent company, and he found himself having more common grounds with her than he ever had with Laenara. While he respected Valerion, his brother would understand that a woman had needs, and that he wasn’t fulfilling them. Surely a woman like Laena would prefer to have a more active partner in bed. Like Maegor. It wasn’t the right time for those sorts of things, of course. Now was the time to punish and destroy the enemies of his family, and he would not have Laena be distracted just by having her heads and heels over him. Once they were home, though…

“I think that your Highness should hear of this.”

He gaze left Laena and turned to the man who technically led this mercenary fleet, although Maegon was the one giving orders as he was the one paying these lowlifes. Captain Belys was standing next to him, clearly annoyed that he hadn’t been noticed sooner. Maegon didn’t like Captain Belys. The man was an arrogant jackass, thinking of himself so highly that he seemed annoyed by every single slight. In fact, Maegon had noticed the sarcasm in his voice each time he said “Highness”. The man had managed to be considered “one of the men” by his crew, although the prince pinned that on the captain’s laziness to actually step up and take command. Still, it didn’t matter what he thought of the man as long as he obeyed.

GToY3Be.jpg

Maegon grunted in impatience. “What is it now?”

“Some of my men have noticed an army standing outside of the walls of White Harbor, one of yours, according to the banners.”

“And why should I care?”

“Because they are besieging the city as we speak, your Highness.” the captain explained. “If we wait any longer, they’ll have taken the city before we can act.”

“Then what are you waiting for?” Maegon snapped. “Order the attack!”

Captain Belys seemed annoyed at the order, and for a moment he refused to avoid the prince’s angry gaze. He finally relented with a sigh and ordered the men to ready themselves. Signals were sent to the others ships to follow their lead. Soon enough, the ship was bumbling with activity. Maegon went to his cabin to put on his armor and prepare his sword. He mumbled that he should have taken his squire with him when he left so he wouldn’t have to do this each time. Then again, he probably would have thrown the annoying brat off board by now.

soTRT6y.jpg

As he was putting his boots, Maegon heard a knock on his door.

“Just open the door!” he screamed.

The person did so, revealing Laena in her armor. It seemed she had found someone willing to help her put it. Lucky her.

“What’s happening?” she asked. “I saw the activity and was told to be ready.”

“We’re attacking White Harbor.”

“Now?” she asked in confusion. “Is it because of the Baratheon army?”

Maegon stopped. “How do you know it’s the Baratheons?” he demanded.

“One of the sailors told me when they spotted the banners.”

“AND YOU DIDN’T THINK TO TELL ME ABOUT IT?” he angrily shouted at her.

“I thought they would have warned you before me!” she explained. “No need to get angry over it. It was a simply mistake.”

Maegon grunted, but relented. “Fine. Now leave! I need to put on my armor.”

“I can help.” she offered, but he waved her off.

“I don’t need any help.” he simply said.

She shrugged and left him to put the remaining pieces of his armor. He silently thanked the time he passed as Daemon’s squire, having to put his brother’s armor during the tourneys. Once he was ready, he took his sword and shield and left his cabin. The ships were closing on the harbor. Some merchant ships were trying to flee, possibly harboring civilians who were stupid enough to believe that their betrayal would be forgotten if they fled.

“Order some of your ships to stop these.” he told Captain Belys, pointing at the vessels leaving.

“Are you sure?”

“Most of their forces will be focused on the walls because of the Baratheons, so we can afford to spread our men.” he explained. “Kill everyone on board if possible, so they get the message.”

Captain Belys ordered the signalmen to send the orders, and a half dozen of ships broke formation to go intercept those attempting to flee. Meanwhile, the rest of the fleet was advancing toward the harbors. As expected, there was no opposition there, the enemy forces being too focused on the walls. Maegon smiled. He wasn’t going to let those damn Baratheons steal this victory from him.

He was one of the firsts to disembark, screaming to the mercenaries that they had to advance fast. He entered the alleys of White Harbor, seeing fleeing citizens running as they walked. For now, Maegon chose to ignore them. What he wanted was New Castle, the seat of House Manderly, standing right in the middle of the city. To his surprise, he was finally met by a small contingent of soldiers, led personally by a man who Maegon recognized as Lord Desmond Manderly. What surprised him even more was the white flag they were waving.

3JvUK8K.jpg

“What is the meaning of this?” Maegon asked, ordering his men to a stop.

Lord Desmond advanced first, walking up to Maegon and bowing in reverence.

“Your Highness Prince Maegon.” Lord Desmond began. “There is no more need to fight.”

“I disagree, you traitorous snake.” Maegon spat back.

“White Harbor has already surrendered to the forces of Lord Boremund Baratheon. He has ordered our city spared as long as we now provide help to the campaign.”

“WHAT?”

Lord Desmund allowed himself a small grin. “House Manderly has returned into the service of House Targaryen. As I said, there is no more need to fight.”

Maegon wanted to kill him right then and there. No, scratch that. He wanted to have the neck of a Baratheon between his hands so he could strangle it. Those bastards had managed to take away his glory! It was supposed to be his victory!

“No.” he said.

“No?”

“I am a prince. I am not bound by a stupid agreement made by a lowly bannerman.”

“But… but you can’t!” Lord Desmond protested.

“You might no longer be our enemy, but White Harbor needs to be punished for its betrayal of the Iron Throne!” he then turned to his men. “Plunder and destroy what you can! Teach that city a lesson it will never learn!”

The mercenaries rejoiced as they made their ways in the neighbouring houses, followed by the terrified screams of the buildings’ occupants.

“You monster!” Lord Desmond told him.

“You’d act the same if the roles were reversed.” Maegon retorted.

“One day you’ll pay for this!” the lord warned him.

Maegon laughed at this pathetic threat before making his way in one of the house. He wasn’t going to miss on the fun, after all.

AEGON: March 3rd, 110 AC, The Eyries
2asoXZn.jpg

Aegon’s eyes were disturbed by the first lights of the morning. For one second, he thought had waked up in his bed back home, with Valena by his side. Sadly, his blurry eyes got clearer and he realized that he was still alone in the stony room the Arryns had given him. He was still in the Eyries on this diplomatic mission Viserys had given him. He was still here, alone.

When he was first given the mission, he had thought of it as an important assignment by Viserys. With the North already in revolt, a civil war in the Vale would only weaken the Iron Throne’s hold over the Seven Kingdoms. Aegon had fully committed to this duty, trying his best to find a compromise that would satisfy everyone, one that had sadly satisfied no one when he presented it. Since then, he had realized that his appointment to this task had another purpose. Rhaenys had been the one pushing for him to be sent to the Vale. At the time, he hadn’t been able to understand why at the time. He had been shocked when he received the news that Viserys had married Rhaenys and understood that she had used his absence to make her move. He expected her to continue that way, pursuing her agenda without him to stand in her way. Aegon hoped as Master of Laws, Jaelyx could hold her off until he returned, although he doubted it. Jaelyx knew how to talk, but lacked the spine to do so when it matters the most.

MCoP7oG.jpg

As always, he began his day by reading the letters Valena had sent him. One had arrived yesterday. He had put it on his desk and returned to his work, planning to read it in the morning. He found that it was the best way to start the day with any positivity, considering how his mission was going.

My dear brother Aegon,

As I’m writing this letter, we’ve just been pushed back from the walls of Winterfell. Lord Grover Tully arrived a few days ago with his army, joining us in the long siege of the northern capital. We plan to starve them off, and so the reinforcements will help us keep them from leaving the encirclement of the castle. This proved to be working, as the Dustins launched a desperate assault to break the siege. Thankfully, they were repelled. The Lord Hand then decided to push our luck by launching an all-out assault against the walls. Both Ser Alyn Errol and I advised against it, but he didn’t listen. He is the Hand, and so I am to serve him, no matter my own opinion on the man or his decisions. Just like you thought me, duty comes first. The assault was a disaster, and by the end of the day we returned to our original position. Do not worry, as I came out intact of the fighting. I just hope both our assignments will end soon.

Your beloved sister, Valena.
tnjKLAC.jpg

Aegon smiled. “beloved sister”. It was just enough so that he could understand the true meaning while everyone else would just assume that they were close siblings. It was difficult to show each other affection and love while keeping their real feelings hidden from the rest of the world.

He put the letter back on his desk before dressing up for the day. He then made his way through the stony corridors of the Eyries, taking a small moment to look at the chained Sunfyre, who he had to leave chained outside in a large yard. He continued until he reached the door of a large room. He could hear the voices inside, meaning they were already preparing something. This would only make his job more complicated. He asked the two guards at the door to step aside. While they hesitated, they ended up obeying as always. Their loyalty was to House Arryn, but they were not stupid enough to refuse and order for the king’s envoy, his brother no less. As he entered, he could see Lady Jeyne Arryn sitting in her chair. Her regent was by her side, pointing at a map.

pBU4Iex.jpg
tdhEngc.jpg

“And so we are sure that my uncle is there?” the young girl asked.

“Yes, milady.” the maester answered. “If we order your loyal lords to strike now, we can eliminate the threat.”

“Can you, now?” Aegon said, unconvinced.

The two finally decided to look at him. “Prince Aegon, do you have anything to complain about?” Maester Hollis asked.

“You say that you’ll finally win this war?”

“We’ll crush my uncle with this assault.” Lady Jeyne affirmed.

“Just like the other ten times you said the exact same thing?” Aegon pointed out. “Those battles worked out well indeed.”

“And what would you do?” the young lady asked impatiently.

“You should try to go back to the negotiation table. Try to find a compromise.”

Maester Hollis scoffed at this. “And I’m guessing you’ll find another idea that will disadvantage us? Like last time?”

“I was proposing a decent compromise for everyone.” Aegon defended himself.

“We won’t put anymore blind trust in your ideas, Prince Aegon.” The maester retorted. “But if you want to end the war, you could fly on your dragon in battle and help us bring peace in the Vale.”

Aegon shook his head. “I was sent by the king to facilitate peace as a neutral arbiter, not to fight it. I’m to remain out of the fighting and not take any side.”

“Then leave us be!” Lady Jeyne screamed at him.

Aegon didn’t flinch at this, simply excusing himself and leaving. He had been quick to understand that these two would not settle for peace any time soon. He had tried to work around both Arryn claimants and convince the lords on each side to force their leaders to peace. Sadly, his efforts to have the lords cooperate were crushed by these sorts of attacks from both sides. The bannermen were far less willing to negotiate when the other side was making repeated attacks against their holdings.

He returned to his room, trying to think of another approach to try to end this war, again. Obviously, he wasn’t surprised when he learned a few days later that the battle had been inconclusive. Same as always…

PS: So I'm back. My summer job is done so I should be able to have a faster release than twice a month. Or at least for the next month or so.