• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This cone/circle stuff sounds pretty complex, wouldn't it be easier and faster to just click and add the provinces or areas you want to add/remove manually on the map?

I think an outline,on the minimap or main map,will be included,allowing you to visually gauge the parameters you dial in when using the "cone mode".

So, if a plane can go at, for example, 400 km/h and the provinces are 80 km apart, it will be able to intercept enemies that fly in any of the 4 'passing through' provinces? What if the enemy planes are also just flying to their target?

I espacially like the option of destroying supply routes and planes on the ground! That makes, that you need to be flying much more often and you will need a lot of more oil. So Germany might finally really feel a shortage of oil!

I'm only concerned about one question: The planes seem to be very mighty again. Can you make sure, that it is still needed to have a good army (and fleet)? It's much less fun, when the air war is almost the whole war, like it was nearly in Doomsday. Maybe a strong mobile FLAK could help here. But whata re your ideas about that issue?

I espacially like the option of destroying supply routes and planes on the ground! That makes, that you need to be flying much more often and you will need a lot of more oil. So Germany might finally really feel a shortage of oil!

I'm only concerned about one question: The planes seem to be very mighty again. Can you make sure, that it is still needed to have a good army (and fleet)? It's much less fun, when the air war is almost the whole war, like it was nearly in Doomsday. Maybe a strong mobile FLAK could help here. But whata re your ideas about that issue?

It's a proven fact, that since the WW1 no one navy or army can win or even survive without an air support and cover.
So the Air Force is so "mighty" because it's so in the real life too.

Seems that airwarfare will be abstracted, with small provinces and no speedcap for planes. All the sweeter :) Best solution imo (if my speculation is true ofc.. )

Already looking forward to next weeks dairy, damn im starting to count weeks by wensdays instead of mondays :wacko:

So, if a plane can go at, for example, 400 km/h and the provinces are 80 km apart, it will be able to intercept enemies that fly in any of the 4 'passing through' provinces? What if the enemy planes are also just flying to their target?

I think Johan hinted at a more radical overhaul.

That is,I think he tries to tell us that we might not see planes as "flying ground units" where you can definitely say "At hour X unit Y is in prov Z" (which is,as you correctly observed Medi, the reason why air movement,and thus warfare,was broken in HOI2). We might not see counters/sprites flying about.

I think what Johan suggests is what I am hoping for : air units will project their power at a distance,like a "cloud". Maths will fly around.

Thus,I hope we will see realistic movements,realistic engagements (which will not be the unrealistically gigantic and decisive battles of HOI2) and realistic losses, all of which behave completely different from land combat.

Air combat is far too fluid to encase it in the standards of divisional-level ground warfare,which is the reference point of HOI.

Great improvement on interface.

Now, to the most important part - does patrolling/movement/combat duration remain as it was in HoI1/2 (plane unit physically flies over each of the patrolled provinces, which causes problems when combined with the fact that 1 hour = lowest time unit), or is interception/timing of bombing run based on something else?

Interface changes are great, but core of the problem with air combat is not related to the "one province/region" dillema, but to the province-to-province movement/combat durations that are not fitting rapid nature of air combat.

Is anything savvy going to be done about the outliner? When I think of the majors, it will be even more crowded than in EU. I don't think there is an easy solution though.

I think it's all a balance of what you show in the outliner. I think the outliner should only really show high level things....then again what information is being shown on the outliner? I think such information should be displayed on the units directly on the map itself. Sure it helps having all your forces in one location like that, but it lack the spacial information of having that information directly on the map.

As for the air stuff, I'm very pleased indeed, having suggested many similar things in the video I made (http://www.mediafire.com/file/ihyw4ijk0gj/HoI3_air_v014.mov for those interested - sorry the timing is a bit poor )
The video also demonstrates something that I really think needs to be implemented. Not just want, need. That is the information management aspect. The last half of the video shows this kind of thing with the interactive reports of air power.
This is stressed further by the multitude of different options we now have for air power, how do we manage them?
I've attached an image which is an editor for the 3D software use that shows the level of interaction required when we are dealing with such large amounts of information http://www.mediafire.com/file/zmmzimzzymj/sreadsheet.png
For example, I should be able to look at a similar spreadsheet type thing, lookup and sort all my air missions by type. As an example this will allow me to find all my bombers in a France that are on a Runway Cratering mission. I should then be able to edit missions from here.

I may start another thead on such things, but just wanted to say that this is superb work Paradox and I'm more excited than ever :)

Very interesting and what a lovely interface once again.

It's a proven fact, that since the WW1 no one navy or army can win or even survive without an air support and cover.
So the Air Force is so "mighty" because it's so in the real life too.

I agree that air power should be very powerful, but in vien with the overpowered argument, there should be a greater cost associated with a mighty airforce. In other words, it should be expensive in leadership, techs, IC and manpower, supplies and fuel to balance air power as vital, but also a greater burden to maintain than in HoI2... where air power was too cheap to begin with, and very easy to maintain.

Is anything savvy going to be done about the outliner? When I think of the majors, it will be even more crowded than in EU. I don't think there is an easy solution though.
It looks like it's collapsible (if you're referring to what I think you're referring to). If you look, there are four army corps but then there's a panzer army. Presumably if the four army corps were in a single army then it'd just show that, and you can open it up to see the army corps within it. If both army and panzer army were part of an army group, it'd then just show the army group and you could expand that.

Just speculation, though.

I just very like it as it is presented here, the possibility to manualy select one or more provinces, or use region, or a province list defined by the cone, it just looks perfect! Great work!

radians? really?.....

Looks to be a nice mixture of options though. Also please allow setting orders for multiple groups of planes at the same time. The amount of time going through an air stack telling them all to do the same thing is depressing.

I think it's all a balance of what you show in the outliner. I think the outliner should only really show high level things....then again what information is being shown on the outliner? I think such information should be displayed on the units directly on the map itself. Sure it helps having all your forces in one location like that, but it lack the spacial information of having that information directly on the map.

As for the air stuff, I'm very pleased indeed, having suggested many similar things in the video I made (http://www.mediafire.com/file/ihyw4ijk0gj/HoI3_air_v014.mov for those interested - sorry the timing is a bit poor )
The video also demonstrates something that I really think needs to be implemented. Not just want, need. That is the information management aspect. The last half of the video shows this kind of thing with the interactive reports of air power.
This is stressed further by the multitude of different options we now have for air power, how do we manage them?
I've attached an image which is an editor for the 3D software use that shows the level of interaction required when we are dealing with such large amounts of information http://www.mediafire.com/file/zmmzimzzymj/sreadsheet.png
For example, I should be able to look at a similar spreadsheet type thing, lookup and sort all my air missions by type. As an example this will allow me to find all my bombers in a France that are on a Runway Cratering mission. I should then be able to edit missions from here.

I may start another thead on such things, but just wanted to say that this is superb work Paradox and I'm more excited than ever :)

Indeed, would be relly nice to have statistics come back to you. Modified based on your intelligence and such as discussed in another thread (which i can´t find at the moment).

(btw, relly nice work on your website :)