Development Diary #14 - National Focuses

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
quote-ception

Thanks for the correction, and apologies for my poor memory. I suspect Ringhloth and Hewhoispale (get more sun :p) are on the money here (in that a German player wouldn't have any trouble against an AI Poland), but you're right in that there's definitely a little ambiguity.

My guess is that there are parts of the AI logic where, if Poland isn't a player, than Germany AI will almost never accept any overtures, so you won't see Poland allying Germany and Germany stopping eastward expansion all the time unless there's a player involved.

Yeah I suppose that's why podcat say "if you play your cards right". Might be a hard road for the player perhaps to get this throught. It should be hard I think, also if in alliance with either Soviet or Germany, you as Poland player could become the main battlefield as an ally in a war between them? Such a war would perhaps be probable even if if things take an ahistorical route.

My guess is that there are parts of the AI logic where, if Poland isn't a player, than Germany AI will almost never accept any overtures, so you won't see Poland allying Germany and Germany stopping eastward expansion all the time unless there's a player involved.
As far as I remember, historically, Hitler didn't want to go for a war in 1939 but he wanted to get a free corridor to Danzig. The Polish nationalistic government got some of the spoils of Czechoslovakia but didn't want to return the favor to Germany. At the end Poland was sure that the Polish army (backed by the French one) could have been able to beat the Germans (in fact the battle plan stated right at beginning: "the enemy retreats").

As far as I remember, historically, Hitler didn't want to go for a war in 1939 but he wanted to get a free corridor to Danzig

That was certainly the 'official' ultimatum sent to Poland, but Hitler himself was getting older and didnt want to fight a war in his old age, so he ramped up the demands for it to happen earlier. Why make a standing army so strong without using it? (See 21st century armies with humanitarian tasks). Probably would have demanded Alsace-Lorraine from France if Poland had ceded Danzig (i think thats in Germanys focus tree; certainly should be), and potentally all of the low countries, Scandanavia and even the British isles (for Greater Germany, all the Germanic peoples united)