Development Diary #14 - National Focuses

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What happens if i invade Denmark without choosing that national focus? Can i progress to next national focus, or do i have to choose "friend with Denmark" despite already having defeated them?
If you can't complete a national focus, you can just skip it and go for the ones beyond it.

Reactions:
mana point system from eu4 was bad enough, there was no need for this really, focusing on navy cant be taking your railroaded path or spending a level point on "navy focus" attribute.
i have a ton better rpg games to play in my hands
lol im so mad

Last edited:
Reactions:
Is there a reason why Nationalist China won't have its own national focus? Also, could it have one implemented for it in the future?

They left the door wide open to future national focuses.

It was requested by a lot of people on the forum and Paradox often consider the community demands, especially when they are easy to implement within the current game mechanics.

EDIT: I would qualify why I said by adding that the more delicate part would be the balancing of the new focus trees so they would be original/interesting without changing much the relative power of the countries.

PS Welcome for your first post !

Last edited:
Reactions:
Is there a reason why Nationalist China won't have its own national focus?

Also, could it have one implemented for it in the future?

Only the major powers (and now Poland with the free DLC) have their own set of national focuses. More will be released post-release, and hopefully the Chinese factions are included in that

Why would there be a free DLC with Poland and a set of national focuses? This country will be overrun first thing, by either Soviet or Germany or both at the same time.
In every HOI game i played, starting with HOI1, it's invaded, except for maybe one time, and i think that was some mod. Nat.Chi. will be way more exciting to see what happens with. and Com. Chi. if Japan fail to hold them. They need national focuses!

Reactions:
Why would there be a free DLC with Poland and a set of national focuses? This country will be overrun first thing, by either Soviet or Germany or both at the same time.
In every HOI game i played, starting with HOI1, it's invaded, except for maybe one time, and i think that was some mod. Nat.Chi. will be way more exciting to see what happens with. and Com. Chi. if Japan fail to hold them. They need national focuses!

First thing as in 1936? Thats the earliest start date, after all, and theres plenty of time to NOT be invaded until the historical start of the war. And perhaps this is EXACLTY why Poland should have its own focus tree, to strengthen itself, gain local allies or to appease its aggressive neighbours. If you read the dev diary for the polish dlc, youll see those trails to go down, and how they may even BLOCK Germany or the Soviet Union from certain focuses that end in Polands defeat (though I hope thats not too powerful)

Reactions:
If Poland folds Germans request WWII would have been postponed. I remember that there was an agreement between Mussolini and Hitler to start the war in 1944

Reactions:
First thing as in 1936? Thats the earliest start date, after all, and theres plenty of time to NOT be invaded until the historical start of the war. And perhaps this is EXACLTY why Poland should have its own focus tree, to strengthen itself, gain local allies or to appease its aggressive neighbours. If you read the dev diary for the polish dlc, youll see those trails to go down, and how they may even BLOCK Germany or the Soviet Union from certain focuses that end in Polands defeat (though I hope thats not too powerful)

Woot! Can a minor country's national focus BLOCK a major power's national focus option?
If that's the case I would say it's ridiculous and probably gonna ruin the game.

If Poland folds Germans request WWII would have been postponed. I remember that there was an agreement between Mussolini and Hitler to start the war in 1944
That's great. It was also like this in all previous HOI games. Lets hope they make the option for the player at least. If the AI does fold, it would be possible to DOW Poland as well i guess. With world tension up and the general modifiers for German or Soviet aggression, possibility to DOW Poland regardless of any event or focuses would still be there? Probability for it let's say if you play some non-neigbour, and all those are AI, would also be interesting to see.

Last edited:
Woot! Can a minor country's national focus BLOCK a major power's national focus option?
If that's the case I would say it's ridiculous and probably gonna ruin the game.
Just wait until they've released 5-6 DLC packs with even more in. Playing as a major, by 1938 most of your political focuses will be blocked. ;)

Reactions:
At least the game is highly moddable so i suppose one could just remove this blocking thing, if it ruins games. Gonna buy it regardless. But NO WAY I'm preordering it due to some silly market pitch about free DLC. That's soooo Total War franchise, and very unparadoxian!

Reactions:
Where do you get this about minors blocking majors ? How ?

I don't see anything in the polish tree that would block another focus from another country. And from what I saw of the game focuses that affect another country trigger an event with choice : France can refuse Rhineland event, Poland can cave in and cede Danzig etc.

So even if Poland tried to befriend Germany for instance, Germany could very well refuse, and just roll with Danzig or War.

Where do you get this about minors blocking majors ? How ?

I don't see anything in the polish tree that would block another focus from another country. And from what I saw of the game focuses that affect another country trigger an event with choice : France can refuse Rhineland event, Poland can cave in and cede Danzig etc.

So even if Poland tried to befriend Germany for instance, Germany could very well refuse, and just roll with Danzig or War.

Watch the WWWs or even the WWT stream where they are playing France in Co-op. They mention that by taking a tree, it may cancel/remove (i.e: block) the other country from being able to use it. It makes sense, though - why would Germany declare war on a member of their faction?

The upside is that there's still no way to stall the war out. If you ally with Germany as Poland, USSR will come after you, if you ally with USSR - Germany will come traipsing over.

You already know how it ends if you enter the Intermarium.

Reactions:
And as we can see in the WWT stream, changing your country ideology comes at a significant cost and a risk of civil war. That's actually shooting yourself in the foot, but it's !!fun!!, in the "i like to get hurt" kind of way :p really not overpowered.

As you say you can change the war, but you can't avoid the war, you'll get a war anyway. If the Fascist don't get you, the Commies will.

Watch the WWWs or even the WWT stream where they are playing France in Co-op. They mention that by taking a tree, it may cancel/remove (i.e: block) the other country from being able to use it. It makes sense, though - why would Germany declare war on a member of their faction?

The upside is that there's still no way to stall the war out. If you ally with Germany as Poland, USSR will come after you, if you ally with USSR - Germany will come traipsing over.

France isn't a minor though. I'm fairly sure in the Poland DLC DD, Podcat said that the new Polish focus tree was specifically designed as to not clash with any of the existing trees, which implies it wouldn't be possible for Poland to NF-block Germany.

Reactions:

That clears things a bit up for me. Thanks! Makes more sense when it blocks for a logical diplomatic reason, when the major power has chosen to go with it and not forced by some gamey mechanics the minor power did. I hope they test this feature thoroughtly because its something that could really have nasty exploits.

Also the new things about ideologies and stuff I think will be nice. It was kinda weak in HOI3, so it needed a rebuild. It was all about dissent then, and you just rolled a slider and dissent was not an issue. Mostly... I remember once i played Mexico in HOI3 and got some crazy high dissent, then it was a revolution and communists took over but i went on playing, and with more warlike stuff than before, even DOW'd the USA lol. But I lost of course. :p

France isn't a minor though. I'm fairly sure in the Poland DLC DD, Podcat said that the new Polish focus tree was specifically designed as to not clash with any of the existing trees, which implies it wouldn't be possible for Poland to NF-block Germany.

When it came to diplomacy we wanted to add additional options for a Polish player who is surrounded by threats. Although we cannot stop Germany and the USSR from trying to carve up Poland (those focuses are elsewhere), we did feel we could have Poland seek accommodation with either power. If you play your cards right this could also lead to an alliance with them (which blocks the “carve up” focuses for that side).

Reactions:
Poland stops other focuses
My guess is that there are parts of the AI logic where, if Poland isn't a player, than Germany AI will almost never accept any overtures, so you won't see Poland allying Germany and Germany stopping eastward expansion all the time unless there's a player involved.

Reactions: