Development Diary #14 - National Focuses

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sorry if I'm asking something that's already in the thread, but do they plan to introduce more unique focus sets with DLC/patches/expansions much like EU4 keeps adding unique national ideas?

Can you abandon a national focus you've already finished researching?

So how do you give back Austria then? Or reverse the Danzig NF since war has now started? From what I can see most of the NF's have a very profound impact on the direction of the country/world. You simply can not unring a bell.

So how do you give back Austria then? Or reverse the Danzig NF since war has now started? From what I can see most of the NF's have a very profound impact on the direction of the country/world. You simply can not unring a bell.
I think it's more a "Ok I CAN claim Danzig now from the Polish, but I'd rather not b/c the Brits act kinda pissy"
So the answer should be: Yes you can abandon them by NOT taking the decision. IIRC NF only give you a decision in those cases, not an automatically happening event.

Ok how can you not undo a purely diplomatic one like for France eg align with the Allies?

Ok how can you not undo a purely diplomatic one like for France eg align with the Allies?
It should be possible to leave a faction and i would also be very surprised if you couldnt break an alliance (the german - ussr one we have seen). But for what sane reason would you spend time and points to "research" national focii if you arent going to use them to maximum effect?
And if possible it would only be a small fraction of the Focii as most of them as far as i have seen looks like +research speed, +infrastructure/factories, +research slot, +ahead of time research. Thats not stuff you just cancel or even want to cancel.

Leaving an alliance is not the same as undoing a NF. That would fall under an option on the diplomacy screen.

Related question: what happens if the AI/another play pursues an NF chain that is antithetical to yours?

For example, if I'm Italy and I pursue an NF that sees me go with the allies while Germany is pursuing the Pact of Steel line, how does that work?

Related question: what happens if the AI/another play pursues an NF chain that is antithetical to yours?

For example, if I'm Italy and I pursue an NF that sees me go with the allies while Germany is pursuing the Pact of Steel line, how does that work?

It's still a decision to take. If G wants to play with It, but It doesn't like smelly G, I don't think there is much that G could do about that.

More interesting would be, if YOUR NF (assumed you are G in this example and want to ally with Italy) overrides an AI-Italies NF (want to join Allies)

I really like that the game will have so many trees, so many possibilities, but I just don't understand (example) why the Rhineland event has to have anything to do with befriending Japan or China? And can't I not get the Anchluss without the Rhineland? I do understand that there's a connection, but not firing the first shouldn't be a prerequisite for the second...

I really like that the game will have so many trees, so many possibilities, but I just don't understand (example) why the Rhineland event has to have anything to do with befriending Japan or China? And can't I not get the Anchluss without the Rhineland? I do understand that there's a connection, but not firing the first shouldn't be a prerequisite for the second...

If I understand correctly, taking the Rhineland NF means you are gearing Germany to war, ignoring the previous restrictions. It is that preparations that allow you to ally with Japan/China, and convince Austria to join you.

If I understand correctly, taking the Rhineland NF means you are gearing Germany to war, ignoring the previous restrictions. It is that preparations that allow you to ally with Japan/China, and convince Austria to join you.
I'm not so sure the Austrians were "convinced" to join Germany, more invaded and forcibly annexed.

Well, one could say that because the Germans showed strength and resolution with the Rhineland event it opened an easier door to annex Austria, at least annexing them so easily and with so little unrest. But that doesn't mean the Germans couldn't annex Austria if they haven't done the Rhineland, but this is the kind of stuff one can't be really sure, what I can be really sure is that the Rhineland event isn't for sure a prerequisite to befriend China or Japan...

I'm not so sure the Austrians were "convinced" to join Germany, more invaded and forcibly annexed.
Hah. Austria wanted to join Germany immediately after Austria-Hungarian empire collapsed. They were not allowed to do so by the entente, but they really did want to do it. And during 1930s great many all around the world admired Germany, Hitler was even selected as man of the year by Times magazine. So i bet Austrians did want to join Germany.

Reactions:
Going back over this DD and I noticed in the last picture, a demilitarized zone but I didn't see it WWW or pictures as I look back through. And it's not mentioned in the DD. This DD was a considerable long time ago but i'm still curious if this is a feature still or was taken out?

Going back over this DD and I noticed in the last picture, a demilitarized zone but I didn't see it WWW or pictures as I look back through. And it's not mentioned in the DD. This DD was a considerable long time ago but i'm still curious if this is a feature still or was taken out?

we display DMZs a bit different now (red border instead of the super in-your-face stripes).

Reactions:
Sweet

Reactions:
What happens if i invade Denmark without choosing that national focus? Can i progress to next national focus, or do i have to choose "friend with Denmark" despite already having defeated them?