Developer thoughts on the Victoria 3 leak

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In the things I've seen, yes, there are amazing, concerning, weird, and plenty of other shades of things. But the sad one is still that we can't get the real vision soon enough.
Well, and a second sad thing, outside the game, that people still don't understand how development works at all.

• 6Like
Reactions:
What it reminds me of is the leak of "The New Order" for HOI4. The unfinished game is unfinished, who would have guessed? Very demoralizing for anyone on the receiving end.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I don't want to be rude or unrespectful, it just seems weird to say that we cannot criticize these mechanics (trade, diplomatic plays, warfare) yet when they are working pretty much how they was presented in the dev diaries. Its not about bugs or glitches, its the intended design of these mechanics that we don't agree with.
He isn't saying you can't do it, just that it is a waste of time. The simple fact that the devs haven't even touched warfare in any of the AARs they have posted should make it quite clear for anyone following the game development that it is a feature that is not yet in a state where it is ready to be presented to the public yet. Or in other words, it is most likely not in a state the devs are happy with yet. From what I can remember there hasn't been much details on trade and diplomatic plays outside of the dev diaries either.
Sure the leaked build is incomplete. Sure it isn’t working as intended. But it is the only way the players can get an actual feel for the game.
What makes you think you can get an actual feel for the game from a leaked internal build, before a release date has even been announced? If you truly want to get an actual feel for the game before you buy it, wait a couple of weeks after release. There will be plenty of videos out by then, plenty of discussions about the game (if you look past the 'this game is great' posts on release day), and you can even use the 2 hour refund window on Steam if you absolutely have to test something out before making your final decision. We may even be able to test it out for a full month at release dirt cheap with an xbox game pass (or even free if you manage to get your hands on a key). Noone is forcing your to preorder the game the moment preorders becomes available.
You are absolutely right. But it's fair to say that if you present a feature in a dev diary, we critisize it or at least be skeptical with the typical "I'll wait to play it before judging it, but it does not sound great", and then you play it on an unfortunate undesirable leak, and it playa exactly as it was presented, it doesn't change the validity of the feedback.
While most, if not all, players on these forums are guilty of giving bad feedback at times, the typical "I'll wait to play it before judging it, but it does not sound great" is pretty much useless, to the point where it will most likely be considered as not being feedback at all. It doesn't say anything about what you dislike about a feature, nor does it say anything about what you want from a feature.
How many changes could they make to combat before release? The complete removal of micro has left people only able to rely on Paradox saying it'll work well as a reason why this will be good
Considering that they haven't announced any release date, they could most likely revamp the entire system several times. Why do you think they haven't shown off any more details on what is most likely the feature which has recieved the most negative and prolonged feedback of all the dev diaries? Saying that you 'can only rely on Paradox saying it will work well' simply isn't true. Paradox doesn't stop people from voicing their concern over the potential lack of micro, and many people have done so. The fact that Paradox has been pretty much completely silent on warfare since the announcement may very well mean that they are concerned about the state of warfare in its current state.
Maybe this is a stupid idea so i just throw it up in the air. Wouldn't be benefical to do an "extra" DD about what actually already obsolete in the leak so people stop arguing and speculating about it. Perhaps this is just bring more attention to the leak and make it worse, or maybe untaint some opinion i don't know.
Or they could just ignore any feedback based on the leak and try to stick to their original schedule. Any attempt at addressing such feedback would most likely just lead to more complaints regarding other features in the leaked version, or negativity focusing on anything not addressed in such a post, while also delaying their scheduled work. There really isn't much good that can come out of such an attempt, neither for the game itself, nor the devs.
Is there a way you could formalize the way you receive feedback on the forums? For example, by describing one system at a time as it stands in the current build and concretizing what you would like feedback on. It would help to limit the wild speculation, at least on my part.
Hopefully they have a more formalised way to note down/discuss feedback they recieve than what will ever become visible to the public. Players will generally want the game made in a very specific way, tailored to their own specific preferences. It's most likely much better for all parts that the devs are in full control of what feedback they take note of, and what feedback they choose to ignore, without it being visible to the public. As for describing one system at a time, isn't that exactly what they are trying to do in the dev diaries? Sure the details aren't always as many as we want the to be, but that is most likely for good reason. Sometimes features aren't finished yet, sometimes the devs may not be sure if features will get any more resources allocated before release, sometimes they may even know that features won't get all the love it should before release (it's a Paradox game after all). My impression is that the devs are generally quite good at answering honestly at some of the significant critisism that is raised in the dev diaries (at least to anything posted the same day as the dev diary), without needing big streamers to question the issues. While I may often be disagree with Paradox's design choices and business practises, their facilitation for interaction between actual players and devs are far superior to most, if not all, other somewhat big game developers I know of. I don't see why we should ask them to change that just because of a leak.

A lot of the critisism I have seen raised on reddit and these forums that seems to be based on the leak, should have been possible for people to be aware of simply by reading dev diaries, AARs and dev replies. My question is, why do so many people choose to not voice any concerns they have before 'trying the game themselves'? If we end up getting 'another Imperator' it will be the players' fault. There has been plenty of things to worry about over the past few months, but instead of voicing their concerns, most people seem to be willing to 'wait until release to see the final result'. One of the most worrying things about Victoria 3 in my opinion is the simple fact that the monuments dev diary is among the ones to recieve the most negative feedback. Why would people expect anything but 'another Imperator' if that is the feature they are the most worried about?

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Really unfortunate that the leak has happened. I think most forum goers will agree that the dev diaries have given us confidence the game is following the original vision set out and we are as excited as ever. Those who have concerns, valid in its own way, have not changed with the leak.

As someone who doesn't work in game development, it was even obvious to me that criticism of the dev build was useless information. It all has come across as malicious and unnecessary.

I look forward to making my own conclusions when you show us some gameplay and actually playing the completed game myself.

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
As a developer I completely understand your pain and frustration that an early build got leaked, and because of that I have purposefully stayed away from info reguarding it. These kinds of products are being constantly worked on and it does you guys a great disservice to form any opinions based such an early build. You see it all the time with early-access titles. A single update can VASTLY change the entire game and those games are meant to be public.

It would be different if the game were a month from launching. You could MAYBE draw assumptions if that were the case.
But it's not. We don't even have a release date yet, so there are obviously going to be broken, unfinished, and placeholder data. I trust you guys to deliver the best game you can, and I'll gladly wait until it's ready to be properly revealed.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Hey Devs, I'm so sorry that the leak and the drama has hit the morale of the team. It's a massive disappointment to hear, and because you have all worked so hard to build a community around the game too with your interaction, I think a lot of us also feel really devastated on your behalf as a dev team. I hope that you are able to see how much the community are blown away by the teams ingenuity and genius in designing this game and building the community. At risk of sounding mushy about a strategy game.... I think it's important to say it out loud that your clearly a fantastic team doing a great job and you've built a great community! I hope that this hasn't hit your morale too hard!

• 2Like
Reactions:
So sorry Wiz and team that this happened. I had been off the forum and Discord recently for unrelated life reasons and just came back today to find this. So I had no idea what was going on. I have zero interest in seeing or playing a leaked internal build or seeing what people have to say about it. I would like to think the majority of the community feels similarly. I still have high hopes for this game and believe you and your team are the right people to deliver.

• 4Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Considering that they haven't announced any release date, they could most likely revamp the entire system several times
Because they have a set budget and an expected release, if you miss release you annoy shareholders
. Why do you think they haven't shown off any more details on what is most likely the feature which has recieved the most negative and prolonged feedback of all the dev diaries? Saying that you 'can only rely on Paradox saying it will work well' simply isn't true. Paradox doesn't stop people from voicing their concern over the potential lack of micro, and many people have done so. The fact that Paradox has been pretty much completely silent on warfare since the announcement may very well mean that they are concerned about the state of warfare in its current state.
Or dev silence means nothing like how there was dev silence on ck3 and then suddenly dlc

Reactions:
What is going on with this community? Why so many disagrees?

I’m not lying, check it for yourself in the post link, I wrote on 18th March 2022 when the Trade dev diary was posted that trade looked like Imperator Rome and being too manual. Which is the main complain people have had after playing the leaked version…

Well, if you want since I have the link in my clipboard: the Ottoman AAR shows that nations will already arrange for import and export routes with each other and your nation, so being 'fully manual' is already shown to be incorrect in a literal sense. We'll see if further, internal automation comes as mechanics are finished off. Probably be nice, as long as we can avoid it easily becoming a Problem.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
I completely condemn what has happened and I did not play the leaked build.
Nevertheless I want to suggest paradox to think about the thing of “managing expectations”.

i am not saying that this is what has caused the leak, and I am not saying that managing announcement differently would have prevented it but I have to say that It’s almost one year after the announcement now.
And we have no idea at all whether the game will be released in 2022 or in 2023 (and in this case in which half of the year).

Vicky 3 has been awaited for years, and I doubt that such a game, with such a fan base can be kept like this (without a clue about release year (or half, or quarter) without causing frustration.

then, frustrated people are more prone to do stupid things.

• 1Like
Reactions:
What Shoo says is correct though. The ability to tariff specific goods is an economic necessity. You know full well that, however hard it is, if modders are able to implement this within the existing system, it will be done. The thing is, it should probably be done by you guys, and not by the community.
It is an issue that was raised both in the relevant dev diary, and in a separate thread about embargoes/tariffs after the dev diary was published. It has absolutely nothing to do with the leak. If people want to be heard, they should make sure to state their opinion at the appropriate time and place. Shoo however chose this thread to be the place for his first ever post on the Victoria 3 forums. Your first post was made yesterday. Why did you choose not to raise your concern earlier? Did you plan to wait until after the game was released? Holding concerns back until it is too late is the most efficient way to make Paradox release 'another Imperator'.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I really don't understand it either. Every time people complain about the warfare or trade or anything such, I have to remind them that they're playing an illegally cracked pre-alpha build with almost all the ai and many mechanics not implemented yet at all. Many have the nerve to say it will stay the same upon release, which is a ridiculous notion. I'm not one to always side with paradox, either; I've always called the company out when they make rightfully condemnable development mistakes (east vs west, leviathan more recently, many more). But I refuse to criticize paradox for something they haven't earned.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Because they have a set budget and an expected release, if you miss release you annoy shareholders
Budgets can be altered if needed. For all we know, making at least one radical change from the traditional Paradox formula to diversify their games more may even be a requirement set by the directors at Paradox to even allow development of Victoria 3 to commence. I'm sure both the devs and the directors at Paradox (one of which is also the biggest shareholder) were well aware of the risk they took when deciding to ditch the old system. Part of that risk is not knowing how long it would take to end up at a good alternative. The average shareholder out there will be far more annoyed by a failing game than by the game not releasing at a date they weren't even aware it was planned to release at.

Or dev silence means nothing like how there was dev silence on ck3 and then suddenly dlc
Not sure what you are trying to say here. There was plenty of communication from the CK3 team, but people generally seemed to enjoy the game. The positive reception of CK3 is still a surprise to me though, so I may have missed something since I pretty much immidiately abandoned all hope of CK3 ever becoming a game for me, despite enjoying CK2.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Budgets can be altered if needed. For all we know, making at least one radical change from the traditional Paradox formula to diversify their games more may even be a requirement set by the directors at Paradox to even allow development of Victoria 3 to commence. I'm sure both the devs and the directors at Paradox (one of which is also the biggest shareholder) were well aware of the risk they took when deciding to ditch the old system. Part of that risk is not knowing how long it would take to end up at a good alternative. The average shareholder out there will be far more annoyed by a failing game than by the game not releasing at a date they weren't even aware it was planned to release at.

Not sure what you are trying to say here. There was plenty of communication from the CK3 team, but people generally seemed to enjoy the game. The positive reception of CK3 is still a surprise to me though, so I may have missed something since I pretty much immidiately abandoned all hope of CK3 ever becoming a game for me, despite enjoying CK2.
What’s wrong with CK3?

• 2Like
Reactions:
The primary reason I, as a member of the community, am disappointed mostly comes down to how some members of the community have handled the leak. Which is to say with this odd amount of pride and glee at "fixing" it and being all smug about reporting issues.

Not only is distributing the leak demoralizing for the team, and absolutely useless criticism wise (We've had dev daries where they talked about HOW a feature SHOULD work while it's not implemented yet. I'd imagine there's a lot of that and a lot of half implemented) it's also just blatant piracy of a product that hasn't been released yet. And even if you ignore all that it is incredibly disrespectful to the devs currently working on the game.

Which doesn't surprise me given how in said circle the reaction to this thread has mostly come down to calling it "cope", "awww pwoor dewvs" and generally laughing at it. It's hard not to see this portion of the community as... yeah something to be strongly disappointed in. The attitude is foul at least and they certainly don't seem to care.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I´m not expert in Gamedevelopment, but this leak version look for me like Alpha/Pre Alpha phase of game not even "Beta"

Not : i say this not specialy to you, but another ppl who telling thats leak-version is a Beta Phase of Vic3...there is even AI missing in lots of part of game.
The game folder is literally called Victoria 3 - BETA

Reactions:
Just adding my support to the Devs here for something incredibly frustrating, and the folks behind this are incredibly irresponsible.

I have a vague memory that Vic 2 or Vic 1 was also pirated by someone before release, so I'm having some weird nostalgia here, seems Vicky has a pattern of this happening to it.

Last but not least: folks criticizing the pirated copy of the game: honestly, what do you expect? Slight changes in code and mechanics can mena actual radical changes in the user experience, so complaining that this that or the other issue is still there in a game that doesn't even ahve a release date yet is some sort of entitlement or something.

• 2Like
Reactions:
What’s wrong with CK3?
Simply the fact that it isn't for me :). It seems to do well financially though, quite possibly better than it would have if it was a game for me. I'll leave it at that since this isn't the place for discussing CK3.

Victoria 3 may also end up not being a game for me, which is something I have been worried about ever since it was announced, to the point where there have been long periods of time where I haven't bothered following the development. The one thing I can do about that though, is to let Paradox know what I want/don't want, and why. And the earlier I do that, the better. Satisfying me isn't what the devs are supposed to do though. They are supposed to make a game that they think will be a success within the boundries set by Paradox. That will most likely make a lot of people disappointed when the game is finished, but hopefully it will end up making a lot more people happy and excited.

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions: