Developer thoughts on the Victoria 3 leak

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Wizzington

Game Director (Victoria 3)
Paradox Staff
41 Badges
Nov 15, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
As the saying goes: We’re not mad, just disappointed.

Last week the Victoria 3 dev team was alerted that streams of an in-development build of the game shared with a small group of testers was being broadcast within a small online community. As these things go, this footage quickly ended up in public. As hype grew around the leaked video so did demands for more, and before long links to download a cracked version of the leaked build started getting shared around.

We understand you’re excited about the game - we are too, and we’re anxious to share it with you properly! But there’s a reason why we haven’t yet launched Victoria 3 in open beta, Early Access, or similar. Yes, the game is technically in a playable state, but its current lack of balance and level of polish obscures many aspects of the mechanics and how they interrelate. Some interfaces are tedious or just not fun to engage with yet. It lacks a lot of crucial AI work, contains game-breaking bugs, and has only the most rudimentary tutorial and player guidance. Especially in an interconnected game like Victoria, just a single deficiency like that can have a negative domino effect on the whole experience of playing the game.

We can explain at length in dev diaries how our mechanics work and what our intentions with them are, but once you get a feel for how the game mechanics work in action, all those words lose their meaning. So when something isn’t fully realized in the game yet, you’re going to come away with an inaccurate impression of what we intend it to be. That’s not good for either of us, and it greatly damages our ability to have an open dialogue with you. If what you want is less interaction between developers and community and a more closely guarded development for future Paradox projects, then leaks like this are the single best way to try and make that happen.

We have (of course) read many of the posts community members have made since playing the leak, both positive and negative ones. Fact is, no matter how in-depth or insightful, none of them identify anything that’s new or surprising to us. Many of the concerns raised were already scheduled to be addressed in the development plan up to release. Even the most positive posts about how fun and engaging the game is even in an unbalanced, unpolished state are tainted with the knowledge that this first impression is still a let-down compared to what it ought to have been. For this reason, none of the feedback we’ve gotten as a result of the leak is really actionable or of any real use to us. It has mainly served as a hit to the team’s morale and a distraction from finishing the game, and in fact made it harder for us to act on your feedback, tainted as it is now by all the factors mentioned above.

Once the game has reached a state where we could really benefit from and respond to your feedback, we’ll be eager to be able to properly show it to you. Paradox has always maintained a quite open development process, and in the Victoria dev team we intend to double down on that responsiveness to community input because we think that’s what’s best for the game. But for that communication and trust to work, you have to also trust that if we’re not showing you something yet it’s because it really isn’t ready to be shown.

Before the leak, we were already looking forward to streaming the game in the near future, and to focus more on showing off in the game in motion, and we’re of course still planning to do this! We understand your curiosity and how excited you are for the game and what has happened isn’t going to change our focus on delivering a great game at release. However, while doing so, we can’t help feeling disappointed and demoralized by how all of this went down.

The Vicky 3 dev team

• 581Like
  • 47Love
  • 16Haha
Reactions:
As a developer I understand your feelings on the matter. Wish you the best of luck completeing the game and I am very much looking forward to play the finished game, but all in due time offcourse :)

• 54Like
Reactions:
I´m sorry for leak and my solidarity is with your team

Last edited:
  • 42Like
  • 4Haha
Reactions:
Sweet, looking forward to seeing how warfare and trade will be addressed :p
Whatever gripes you have with these systems in the leaked state: it's irrelevant. Your impression is irrelevant because it is not based on a finished product. It's unfinished and therefore you don't know how it's supposed to be. You think trade and warfare have issues in this leaked version? Cool, that's like saying: "Hey, why does that car, I stole from the middle of the assembly line not start up? They should add an engine and a fuel tank!" completely pointless and meaningless criticism and feedback.

I don't even understand why you played this leaked version in the first place. I sure haven't because I understand this is not a finished product and not even remotely clsoe to what the product is supposed to be. So I have less than zero interest in playing this leaked version. If you want to spoil your experience playing Vicky 3 for the first time, fine go ahead, but stop pretending as if any feedback you give on this version is of any relevance.

Last edited:
  • 11Like
  • 2Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
They were already outlined as in the dev diaries, so aside from technical fixes and minor adjustments, I suspect the core fundamental mechanics already found in the leaked build are unlikely to be changed much, if at all...
I already addressed this notion on Twitter, but I'm happy to post it here as well:

The fact that what is in the leaked build maps generally to what we have said in a dev diary does not mean we are unaware of the issues with how it currently works, or are not planning to change anything about it. It just means we haven't done and talked about those changes yet. This is precisely the problem with feedbacking based on a leaked build - the discourse around trade will now be based on how the system *was* before we felt it was actually ready, which makes it harder when it comes time to *actually* try to get useful feedback about it.

• 128Like
Reactions:
Wiz, let’s be honest, my main concern about trade was already there when I read the trade dev diary, way before the leak…
10-AEC41-D-80-D9-4-CD7-87-A9-5-BC8-AD32-F960.jpg

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/dev-diary-38-trade-routes-tariffs.1515790/post-28157887

• 50Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Well said.

Whichever tester took it upon themselves to break trust with you, I hope they hang their heads in shame.

I will not seek out this broken version of Victoria 3. I have no intention of spoiling myself with a defective, sub-optimal product.

I will wait for the day when I purchase and download the completed, polished version, eager to see what all the fuss is about.

Until then, I will stick with the only resource any of us should have in experiencing this game right now.

The Dev diaries and the AARs from the discord.

• 50Like
  • 6Haha
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Me saying "I am looking forward to X being addressed" is feedback, is it?
Yes it is. It's clearly a reference to the "trade and warfare have these and that issues" sentiment among the people who have played the leaked version. It's implying you agree with that and is therefore feedback on the leaked version.

I may have made my post sound harsher than I meant to, I apologize if you felt attacked by it.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Good luck with the further development of Victoria 3, I can only imagine how utterly demoralizing community backlash can be for something you haven't finished yet, if i've learned anything from Imperator it's that you have a history of totally reworking stuff if it is actually needed so I have full faith in the development of Vic3. Ofcourse I understand the community backlash too, many seem to think things cannot change before release and that everything already implemented is considered a finished mechanic, this is clearly not the case usually. Hope you turn Vic3 into an amazing game like you did with Imperator after its initial backlash.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Very sorry to hear about the morale hit you guys have taken; I suppose it couldn’t really be any other way, though. For what it’s worth, I am very much looking forward to seeing the game once you guys are happy with it!

I’ve been lurking pretty hard, following all the Victoria dev diaries and AARs, and I love seeing you all enjoying what you’re making, not to mention all the goofy madness that can go on in paradox games. Also, @Wizzington , I loved watching the Blorg play through back during the lead up to the Stellaris launch! Looking forward to seeing something like that for Victoria when you all are ready

TL;DR: Still very excited and hanging on the team’s every word!

• 6Like
Reactions:
Wiz, let’s be honest, my main concern about trade was already there when I read the trade dev diary, way before the leak…
10-AEC41-D-80-D9-4-CD7-87-A9-5-BC8-AD32-F960.jpg

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/dev-diary-38-trade-routes-tariffs.1515790/post-28157887
What is going on with this community? Why so many disagrees?

I’m not lying, check it for yourself in the post link, I wrote on 18th March 2022 when the Trade dev diary was posted that trade looked like Imperator Rome and being too manual. Which is the main complain people have had after playing the leaked version…

• 65Like
  • 5Haha
Reactions:
Well at least you guys handle this situation well. It is so strange to me that there are so many delusional and straigh up mean voices who have the guile to flame about certain game aspects which are clearly not finished or balanced, as it is to be expected in leaked test build. There are also plenty of people who use anything they see to bolster their already made up decision about the game because they dont have the mental flexibility to wait until the release before they make up their minds...

If anything my main takeaway is that Victoria 3 is already a gem. Maybe one that needs polishing but also one who is one the way to become a crown jewel.

Keep up the good work and dont let the meanies distract you if you can :)

• 4Haha
Reactions:
I would like to show my support for the Victoria 3 development team. I hope that it will cause the least number of problems to the development of the game.
Much encouragement to everyone working on the project and hope action is taken against the leak.
A hug.

• 5Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks for sharing the thoughts @Wizzington. Although it's understadable how frustrating and disappointing it can be, I don't think the response to the community as a whole deserves such a negativity; vide If what you want is less interaction between developers (...) then leaks like this are the single best way to try and make that happen, as if the majority of the community was responsible for the leak. Treat the cause (the person behind the leak), not the symptom (the community that worries). Likewise, despite all the negative feedback, a lot of it was actually quite constructive (as much as development version-based feedback can be) and pointing out some core issues. If, as you say, things are getting addressed and reworked, then it's great- the feedback from the community only confirmed that changing certain systems is a good decision. In the end, we all (community and developers) want Vic 3 to become a great success. I've had lot of worries after reading the reports from people who have played the leaked game, and I'd love to be proven wrong when Victoria 3 is shipped!

• 9Like
  • 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions: