• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hey...you're alive again! That's great news. :)

So you did the Holstein + Mecklenburg annexation...too good to pass up on really, and it makes the "Sound Due" event make a little more sense too. I'm impressd that you got as many of the others into vassalization...that must have been a pretty tough fight all in all.

Good going Norg.

I usually avoid mil-annexing Holstein, just force-vass and later dip-annex. If someone else snags them you still have CB-shield.
Vorpommern is enough protection for the annexed Mecklemburg, but my reluctance is more due to care for BB-levels. If you are going to diplo-annex Sweden and inherit Norway you will get lots and lots of BB for this, so it is best to lay somewhat low until this.

This is me of course.
PS. When I started writing this post MrT:s post about 'Hey...you're' was the last post, but I got sidetracked, so if anyone has said all this I apologize.:D

King of Nines: Thanks! :) It is, I suspect, odd for the casual reader having to go to page three before finding anything remotely like an AAR. Then again, in Britain the good stuff's always on page three. :D

Secret Master: I didn't know that. Honest! :D Oh, well... one point every four years. I play at "hard". I'm not suicidal enough for extra hard just yet... ;)

MrT: Thanks! :)
Well, the war raged on and on...still, Denmark has a nice treasury at the beginning (600d), and as soon as I managed to get more than one army into the theatre of war, I could start killing them off one by one. Of course, a few rebellions due to war exhaustion are to be expected... :)

Mmmm.... I'll have a mini-vacation from tomorrow until Sunday, and I'm not going away until Thursday. EU II day tomorrow, methinks... :)

Originally posted by Nikolai II
Of course you know that 'hard' removes 1 BB every 8 years, <hard 1 per 4 and very hard 1 per 6 years.

But at less than VH BB is not much of an issue, certainly:D

Boy, I learn new stuff every day... Thanks! And thanks for the pointers in the post above. Too bad I didn't think of those... :D

Originally posted by Carolus Rex
Pfffft, just wait until Sweden wakes up, we'll kick u rebelling sob's back to basics. :p :D

Sorry, Carolus... there's no such thing as Sweden in my game... :D

Okay, I'll update tomorrow. I'm seemingly "dishonourable scum" for teaching the Swedes their place in the pecking order. ;)

Good thing is that Denmark will actually have an ice hockey team... :D

Anyway, those who've played Denmark... doesn't inheriting some fish infested provinces from Norway seem rather useless? Surely Christian III's historical choice of annexing Norway in 1536 seems like an awfully poor chocie, EU-wise.
My tech-cost just went through the roof...

Harumph!

Now that was definately weird. Wading through almost 3 pages of.... I would say dribble, but that would alienate a lot of people posting on the message board. People I want reading my AARs and telling me that they are cool.

Reason must prevail, and the above replaced with platitudes... Must erase insult... must...

But for the AAR itself, so far so good. I'm looking forward to reading more about Danish exploits in Europe. Not that I'm saying that the Danes would exploit anyone, least of all minors. And German minors at that.

If manservant spanking leads to palm shaving, then ignoring your manservant could easily lead to a messy household. *grin*

Erik’s Legacy.

Copenhagen, December 1428.

The Union Council was assembled in the largest hall of the royal castle. Under flickering candlelight, bishops and assorted nobles from Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark were dining on the finest roast pork found in Denmark. Snow had come early this year, and for some the journey to Copenhagen had taken more than two weeks.

A couple of Swedes were looking particularly unamused. It had been rumoured that king Erik had some new tax proposition to discuss with the Council. And knowing that the king hardly listened anyway, the discussion would be futile. Not even some fine burgundy seemed to placate the Swedes.

Sten moved along the aisles between the tables, filling the empty cups and re-filling those who had not yet finished their wine. The Archbishop of Nidaros, one of the Norwegian delegates, was already snoring, his crucifix in his left hand. As Sten approached king Erik, he raised his eyebrow; it was time.

Erik rose, and cleared his voice.

“Members of the council! Let me speak informally to you. Long has the Hansa dominated our trade. Now Lübeck is a part of the kingdom of Denmark, and hence, the Union. The Hansa no longer controls our trade. The city of Bremen has succumbed to become our vassals, and Pommern poses no threat. I have therefore decided to levy a new tax on all trade vessels passing through the Sound. After all, it is only fair that the kingdom controlling both sides of the Sound will benefit from it…”

Grunts and harrumphing were heard. Clothes rustled. This was indeed unpopular news. The Norwegian regent Sigurd Jonsson motioned to be allowed to speak.

”I support your majesty’s fair demand of a tax on the traffic through the Sound, and salute your majesty’s efforts to break the privileges of the Hanseatic cities. I can inform the Council that the Hanseatic offices of Bergen, Oslo and Tunsberg have all been closed, and the Hanseatic representatives have all… resigned their positions, so to speak…”

Erik nodded in acknowledgement of Jonsson’s views. “We have closed the Hanseatic offices as well”. The Swedish councillors seemed less pleased.
“What will happen to our trade vessels? We do not only trade in Kurland and Mecklemburg, but also in Antwerpen and Paris”.
“Ships trading outside of the Baltic and passing the Sound will pay the due. That is my will”. With this, Erik closed the meeting.

----

Elsewhere in Europe, the old Byzantine empire had been at war with all its former possessions, and in 1431, she became a vassal of the ever-greedy Genovese. Denmark’s neighbours Bremen, Hannover, Saxony, Prussia, Pommern and the Teutonic Order were at war with the small state of Pskov.

Through gifts, Erik attempted to placate his vassal Bremen. This emptied the treasury, which many felt would be better spent on improving the roads and harbours in Denmark.

By 1432, Denmark’s technological level had improved to such an extent that fortresses could be strengthened at a huge cost. Erik ordered that the fortress in Copenhagen was to be rebuilt to better repel aggressors. It was now one of the biggest in Europe, and in late 1432 it was also the scene of a royal wedding between a young niece of Erik’s and a lowly cousin of the Castillian king Juan. Erik was able to play the good host, and impress the foreign dignitaries in the new fortress of Copenhagen.

In 1433, Oldenburg was conquered by the Scots, and became a vassal. Few years later, she was conquered by the English, before throwing off the English yoke, and joining Denmark’s vassals Bremen.

In April 1434, Sweden went to war against the Grand Duchy of Muscowy. Erik reluctantly decided that honouring the alliance with the Swedes was more important than maintaining good relations with “the heretic snow princes of Muscowy”.

----

Copenhagen, August, 1434.

“I come with a message from our Grandmaster”, the knight said. His white cape was marked with a huge black cross, and he spoke in German. The envoy was led into the castle, and delivered the letter to Sten, who personally walked the stairs to Erik’s chambers.

“A letter, your majesty”, Sten said.
“From whom?”
“I believe it is the seal of the Teutonic Order, your majesty”
“Open it, and read it. What does those crusaders want now?”
“Ahem…your majesty… it is a most grave insult. They tell you to do unspeakable acts with donkeys, and claim you are a Templar in disguise, and wear women’s clothes”.
Erik sighed. This meant yet another war against the Teutons. And a war against the Teutons meant war against Bremen. Oh, well.

The formal declaration of war was delivered (along with the white cape of the deceased messenger) on August 6th 1434. Predictably, Bremen and Pommern took the opportunity to break the vassalage with Denmark. Bremen’s Flemish mercenaries attacked Erik’s southern army in Mecklemburg, and in a bloody battle drove the army back to Holstein. New troops were levied in Jylland.

Amidst all this ruckus, representatives from Bergslagen in Sweden came to complain about the local sheriff to Erik. Sten met with them, and heard their case. One of the Swedes, Engelbrekt, was an imposing figure. It seemed that the local sheriff, Jösse, not only harassed the people of Bergslagen, but also seemed intent on defying royal authority.

Erik agreed to appoint a new sheriff, and shipped Jösse to Gotland, where he was imprisoned in Visby.

The war went well. Danish knights soon had Bremen on its knees, and the local prince once again swore fealty to the Danish Crown.

In 1435, Kurland fell to Danish knights, and they moved on to Polotsk. In a bloody battle, the Danes were repelled, and their commander beheaded by the order of Erik, but the next attempt was more successful.

By November 1436, the Teutonic Order became a vassal of Denmark. A magnificient victory in the eyes of Europe.

Once again, Erik’s vassals were under attack. Bohemian heretics were attacking Hannover and Bremen. Only months after the Second Hanseatic War, Erik declared war against the massive alliance of Bohemia, Poland and Lithuania. Bohemia had annexed Hannover, and were close to winning in Bremen. Danish knights were dispatched to stop the heretics’ onslaught.

Danish knights rode through the territories of the elector prince of Brandenburg, and lay siege upon the fortresses of Silesia. In Bremen, Bohemia’s forces were annihilated, and the Danish army moved towards Hannover. Erik’s orders were clear; do not alienate the local peasants by plundering, raping or murdering them.

Denmark and Poland ceased hostilities by 21st of January 1439. The war against Bohemia raged on. Danish losses were insignificant, but the mountainous provinces in Bohemia seemed difficult to siege.

Copenhagen, 10th of April 1440.

“Sten? Sten?”, Erik gasped. A young doctor stood by his bed along with some Danish members of the Council. “He’s dying”, whispered the doctor. “He thinks he can see his long-dead servant”.

Erik felt numb. Granted, he was old. He had been king for ages. During his reign, Denmark had broken the stranglehold of the Hanseatic League on the trade and significantly expanded her holdings. Formerly proud kings and princes had bowed and kneeled in front of Erik. Denmark’s military and naval might was stronger than ever.

Now he was to die. Slowly fade away. He had been ill since New Year. Occasionally, he had gotten reports of the war against Bohemia. Erik prayed the Lord would reward him with a few less years in purgatory for his swift action against the heretics.

Who would follow him? He himself had never sired children. He was unable to do so. A distant relative of his, living in Bavaria, had been mentioned. It was up to the council to decide.

----

“He’s dead…”. The doctor examined the body of the late king of Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Erik the Warrior died peacefully.

Christoffer III af Bayern.

Historical info: There’s not much to say about Christoffer af Bayern historically. He was quite an insignificant person in Scandinavian history; the most interesting thing about him was that he was from Bavaria. During his reign, the rebellious anti-union tendencies of Sweden became more apparent. He was married to Dorothea of Hohenzollern-Brandenburg.

24th of May, 1440.

“Your majesty, there is an envoy from Bohemia here to present a peace proposal”. The lieutenant spoke in low voice. He knew the king didn’t like to be disturbed. The stocky figure of the king rose from his desk.
“Send him in…”, Christoffer said.
Two representatives from the heretic Bohemian king entered along with two Danish guards.
“Greetings, your majesty!”
“Greetings. So, this is how heretics look? I thought you’d look more… like firewood, given that you burn so well”, the king replied. The Bohemians seemed unfazed. Christoffer was disappointed.
“We have come to offer peace, as the king tires of your continuous aggression. Your armies have ravaged Bohemia, stolen our cattle and killed many an innocent man”.
“No heretic is innocent in the eyes of God, my good man. But, pray, what is your offer?”.
“We offer the princedom of Hannover along with 40,000 gold crowns”, the Bohemian said.
“I humbly accept”.

Due to Erik af Pommern’s focus on warfare and military might, king Christoffer was able to reap the rewards of his uncle’s work.

Christoffer’s ambition was mainly to stay out of wars. He did, however, aid the Swedes in their war against Muscowy in 1443, but his policies were mainly designed to consolidate the Danish holdings in Germany. Despite his German heritage, it seemed as if the language barrier between the Danish officials and the German burghers and nobles lead to a decrease in productions and tax incomes.

In 1444, described in the books of the Chancellor of the Treasury as an “exceptional year”, Christoffer suffered from great depressions. He was confined to the royal castle Kalundborg, and most of the affairs of the kingdom were conducted by the council. Not that Christoffer had all that much leeway with regards to the council anyway. His reign was typically dominated by the council’s wishes. When nobles asked for increased pensions in 1443, their wish was granted. A decree in 1444 granted the restoration of former privileges, disbanded under Queen Margrethe. The council was, in effect, the real regent of Denmark. The only area where Christoffer refused to make concessions was in the matters of faith. He was a staunch Catholic, and believed in the independence of the Holy Church. This made him many friends within the Church; both the Archbishops of Lund and Nidaros often came to visit Christoffer.

Wow, I'm surprised you caved in to Englebrekt's demands and replaced Josse. You are a kinder ruler than I am of the Swedes. I normally tell them to pay their bloddy taxes, or face the sword.

BTW, I've also been known to kick Sweden out of the Kalmar Union, just so I can take a few provinces by force and then re-vassalize them, providing for a diplo-annex prior to their liberation events in the 1520s. (Taking provinces directly from Sweden make diplo-annexing easier because they are smaller. It also gives me less nationalism in provinces when the time comes for diplo-annexing.)

maybe i'll have to try playing a scandinavian country now. i've never played them before and was never interested until reading this. the intrigue of the kalmar union/hanseatic league would make any modern politician proud. :p

Norgesvenn,

I said it earlier in the thread, during your initial CTD doomed attempt, but I wanted to say it once more:

(and no, it doesn't have anything to do with manservants:D).

You're doing an excellent job in choosing which are the most important details needed to follow the game/story. I really like the approach, it feels like you're making progress with every post.

Cheers,
LT

Secret Master: I sometimes entertain myself by choosing option b) or c) in historical events. I didn't want to break vassalage just yet, as inheriting Norway would've been nasty BB-wise. :)

KoN: I've never played Sweden, but both Norway and Denmark provide good fun, although the first 100 years of playing Norway may seem very masochistic... ;)

Lt. Tyler: Thank you! :) I blame my background as copywriter and could-have-been journalist for the "magnifying glass" on some events.

There'll probably be more war-mongering updates shortly.

Pity the old savegame crashed, as I had incorporated the Highlands. Bagpipes would've been nice for scaring those vassals into submission... :D

Christian I. The Builder.

Historical information: Born in 1426, Christian of Oldenburg became the founding father of the Danish Oldenborg royal family when he ascended to the Danish throne in 1448. He was also elected king of Norway in 1450, cementing the union between the two countries until “time eternal”. His relationship with the Swedish union partner was far more troublesome, but he ousted Karl Knutsson Bonde from the throne, and was king from 1454-1467. Christian I gave away Norwegian possessions to raise money, and bent over to the Hansa. Not one of my personal favourites among the union kings, to put it mildly.

Kalundborg, January 7th 1448.

The body of Christoffer af Bayern was carried out of his bedroom. The troubled king had unexpectedly died in his sleep. Could there have been foul play? Knud, the court painter, thought there might have been. Knud, named after one of the greatest kings ever in Danish history, looked at the young German the Council most probably would elect as the new king. He seemed wholly unfit for such a position. According to the rumours, the young man from Oldenburg liked to hunt and ride his horse, and had little experience with politics, let alone running a country dominated by confident noblemen. He’d be in their pocket from the first dinner, thought Knud.

Christoffer af Bayern had become troublesome. His stance on the affairs of the Church, and his lenience towards the Union partners had displeased the Danish noblemen. Knud, the court painter, had seen it all. How the nobles conspired behind Christoffer’s back, how they laughed at his stocky appearance when he wasn’t looking.

“Why the rush to crown a new king?”, Knud asked the Commander of the Royal Guards.
“I don’t know. It seems as if Count Rønne is in a hurry”.
“But the King never sired a child?”
“None that we know of, no. But who knows? He was locked away here for the best part in ’44; he must’ve been doing something…”, the commander smiled. Knud shrugged. Count Rønne had risen to become one of the most dominant members of the Council in recent years, and had had Christoffer on a leash.

The sound of trumpet fanfares shook the whole castle. The Archbishop Salve of Lund would be crowning young Christian as king of Denmark. An expectant hush fell over the about hundred people congregated in the Church.

The ceremony was over within an over. Christian had sworn to uphold the privileges granted the Church and nobility, stipulated in the “håndfestning” he had signed. Now he was sanctioned by God and the Holy Church.

----

“Ah, my dear Knud! How good of you to come”. The young king had wanted his portrait painted, and Knud had gotten the commission this time as well.
“Your majesty, it is a great honour! I thank your majesty for the good will and faith invested in me!”.
“I hear you have studied in Constantinople and in Italy. That should make you a very qualified painter, Knud!”. The king smiled. He seemed sympathetic enough. “Maybe I was wrong”, thought Knud.

----

“So, you see, Knud… what I need, is someone who can be my eyes on the outside, and with whom I can discuss matters in a private setting… will you lend me your eyes and your ear?”
“Agreed…”

The two men shook hands.

Hi Norg. Must apologise for being sinfully slow in noticing that you're up and running again.

Just read through your last three or four instalments and I must say it's a treat to read. I love it when someone who'd familiar with the area (come on , fess up, you Norwegians have been planning the conquest of Denmark since time immemorial) to get a real sense of the flavour of the region.

Question/Point: A couple instalments agao you made a comment re the historical figure of Christoffer..
Christoffer III af Bayern.

Historical info: There’s not much to say about Christoffer af Bayern historically. He was quite an insignificant person in Scandinavian history; the most interesting thing about him was that he was from Bavaria. During his reign, the rebellious anti-union tendencies of Sweden became more apparent. He was married to Dorothea of Hohenzollern-Brandenburg.
I happened to do not an insignificant amount of research into his heritage quite recently. I'll admit that from a Scandinavian perspective he was a little dull...

He did have an impact on what went on the the northern states of the HRE though, as he was born and bred to be the Pfalzgraf von Neunburg worm Wald (part of what would expand into what most of think of as "Bavaria" on his death) and was first cousin to the Kurfurst. He was heavily tied to Saxony, Brandenburg, etc through his various relatives' marriages, and had strong ties to the church (again through a host of relatives in high places).

I'll agree that he isn't the most exciting figure, but there was a degree of stabilization that seemed, in part, to be a by-product of him being - however briefly - King of Denmark.

Keep up the great work!

Mimir: Letting the heat get to our head, are we? :eek: :D I must confess I've never tried those awfully nice neighbours of ours. I did visit Gothenburg this weekend though. The beer's cheaper in Sweden. Then again, beer on the moon would be cheaper than in Norway...

MrT: Hey, no need to apologise. I haven't been all that active myself recently. :)
I had no idea about Christoffer being from Pfalz. He's a fairly evasive character in Norwegian history books, where historians tend to focus more on the interregnum following his death and the struggle between Christian and Karl Knutsson Bonde.
I haven't really found any good Danish sources yet (despite the Danish Rigsarkiv being online), so I found very little on Christoffer. Norwegian historians tend to be very preoccupied with Norway, and things Norwegian. As if four million people are that important... :rolleyes:

Anyway; thanks to you both! I promise to keep up the pace. And to post screenies soon. Just need to resize them a little at work... :)

Copenhagen, present day.

Travelling from Oslo to Copenhagen can be done by boat. It’s quite a pleasure, really. It’s more like a small cruise than going by ferry. I had taken the time to go the King’s City; quite possibly the most marvellous city in Scandinavia. Approaching the port, one notices the sculpture “Den Lille Havfrue”, and the beautiful 17th century buildings.

After a long day of walking around in Copenhagen, seeing what is worth seeing, I decided to take break in a small tavern in Nyhavn. I ordered one of those very special Danish sandwiches (‘Smørrebrød’) and a pint of lager. Having just began eating, an elderly man sits down at my table.
“If you buy me a beer, a Gammeldansk and give me a cigarette, I’ll tell you a tale!”, he says. I notice his hands shaking ever so slightly, and that it’s been quite a few days since his last shave. I ponder this for a moment. If I agree, I’ll never get rid of him. If I refuse, I’ll feel guilty, and I’ll offend the poor character. Of the two evils, the first one seems to be the lesser.
“All right. What’ll you have?”. I wave to the waitress, and she walks over to my table, glancing suspiciously at the old man.
“A Gammeldansk and a pint. Make that two pints. This young man will pay”, he says while suppressing something of a coughing fit. I push my plate away. I’m not really hungry now. The waitress looks at me, quizzically. I nod. She takes the order, and as she walks away, I notice her behind is quite nice looking.
“So, what’s your name? I’m Tomas”, I say.
“Ove”, the old man says, after downing his schnapps.
“And the story?”
“I used to be a historian. It’s a long time ago… then I hit upon some rough times… all I have left is the stories. I’ll tell you about king Christian the first”, he says, grabbing my cigarettes, and helping himself to one.
“Got a light?”. I light his cigarette, and notice that his hands aren’t shaking anymore.

“So, king Christian. Well, he became king in January 1448. He was quite young and inexperienced, but with the help of an exceptional character, his court painter Knud, he became a decent king.

His reign didn’t start all that well, though. You see, the old crusader order of the Teutonic Knights in Livonia were Danish vassals by then. Unfortunately, they weren’t fully integrated in the Union of Kalmar. You know what that was, don’t you?”. I nod. He coughs, and grabs another cigarette, and motions for the waitress to bring him another bitter schnapps. I order a beer.

“Well, you see… Poland wanted to gain control of the holdings of these knights, and went to war against the Teutons. Christian couldn’t do anything, and his vassals were annexed. This caused the nobles to dislike him a lot.

But, Christian and Knud had other plans. Christian raised extra revenues and invested in the navy. Knud had listened to the advice of sailors and sea captains from home and abroad. Knud often strolled around the harbours of Copenhagen, and went to Helsingør where foreign ships paid the Sound Due. There he heard of Arabia and the land of the Skraelings. He told king Christian, and the king befriended the Khan of Crimea and the regent of Norway, and soon enough Denmark traded sea maps with Crimea and Norway, and gained knowledge of such faraway places like India and Greenland.

King Christian, although by no means a great king…”. Ove stopped to quell a coughing fit. “Could I have another schnapps?”, he asked. I nodded.
“Where was I? Oh, yes. Well. King Christian appointed the nobleman Rønne, who had previously been a powerful duke, as head of an expedition to New Foundland. Ten intrepid Danes went by ship, and set up a trade post in the area known as Gander. The results were disappointing from an economic point of view, but added to the glory of Denmark… and, furthermore, Count Rønne fell into the sea and drowned. Or so they said”. Ove suppressed yet another coughing fit.

To be continued…